GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 06:26   #26
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Yeah, I see mags on Gunbroker and they aren't cheap.
I wonder if more available mags could be made to work, at least well enough for range use?
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:06   #27
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I wonder if more available mags could be made to work, at least well enough for range use?
Maybe so
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:40   #28
oldnoob
Senior Member
 
oldnoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: City of Angel, California
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Its a totally different design, noob.

I'll post side by side pics tomorrow.
Cool thanks.
__________________
Taiwan born, Chinese descent, red white and freaking blue America citizen.

http://oldnoobloveguns.blogspot.com/

http://oldnoob.maxforum.org My mini forum.
oldnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:42   #29
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,190
Noob, it will be Monday before the pic is posted. Sorry.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:26   #30
ca survivor
Senior Member
 
ca survivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,934
Congrats!
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 15:03   #31
mr00jimbo
Senior Member
 
mr00jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 4,247
Awesome! You didn't buy it off this guy did you?
General Firearms Forum
__________________
"Learning to shoot with a Glock is like learning to drive with a car with a smashed windshield and two flat tires."
-Yo
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 23:07   #32
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
Awesome! You didn't buy it off this guy did you?
General Firearms Forum


I forgot that he carried one in Heat. I've got that movie. I'll have to pop it in.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide

Last edited by bac1023; 11-18-2012 at 23:09..
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:23   #33
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK
 
Nakanokalronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,158
That's one heavy gun, but I bet the recoil is pretty mild.
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:41   #34
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnoob View Post
Cool thanks.
Here is the 30M and Megastar together. The frames are different, as is the trigger and other controls.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:48   #35
marty d roberts
Registered User
 
marty d roberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: dalton ga.
Posts: 5
megastar 45

i have bought a megastar45 in starvel finish never heard of one but look cool and was a good price at 150.00 bucks ,i have shoot it about 20 times and it shoots great ,love the feel and very low recoil.have research them and i feel like i got a good deal.i also have a tarus 24/7 in 45 cal.but the star shoots better i think.
marty d roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:12   #36
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty d roberts View Post
i have bought a megastar45 in starvel finish never heard of one but look cool and was a good price at 150.00 bucks ,i have shoot it about 20 times and it shoots great ,love the feel and very low recoil.have research them and i feel like i got a good deal.i also have a tarus 24/7 in 45 cal.but the star shoots better i think.
Wow!

$150?
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18   #37
WayneJessie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,154
Been thinking about adding a Firestar to my little collection but wasn't sure of thier quality. I had a friend who owned one for a while and it certainly felt solid. What say ye guys about them that know the guns?
WayneJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:33   #38
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,670
My father has an old Star Firestar in .45 that he loves. Unfortunately it finally gave up the ghost a year or so ago when the slide cracked. It started failing to feed, and we discovered the cracks. Fortunately, the slide didn't completely let go, and I don't want to think about the damage potential if it had. He's been looking for a replacement slide ever since, and has had no luck.

Congrats on the new addition, BAC. I always turn a little green with jealousy whenever I see you start a new thread.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:13   #39
marty d roberts
Registered User
 
marty d roberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: dalton ga.
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty d roberts View Post
i have bought a megastar45 in starvel finish never heard of one but look cool and was a good price at 150.00 bucks ,i have shoot it about 20 times and it shoots great ,love the feel and very low recoil.have research them and i feel like i got a good deal.i also have a tarus 24/7 in 45 cal.but the star shoots better i think.
i thought that was a good price,till i research them and now i think it was a great price ,i would buy all i could find for 150.lol.would like to see one in 10mm tho.what i read on these guns is the same clip can be used on both guns 45 and 10mm.
marty d roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 13:04   #40
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
Been thinking about adding a Firestar to my little collection but wasn't sure of thier quality. I had a friend who owned one for a while and it certainly felt solid. What say ye guys about them that know the guns?
I prefer the larger Star pistols, but Firestars generally work well.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 17:25   #41
Two Guns
VIP MEMBER
 
Two Guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 4,148
One of my Coworkers has a Mega Star in 45 for sale. If I had the extra money I would buy it. I think he wants like $350 for it.
__________________
Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!
Two Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 17:44   #42
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Guns View Post
One of my Coworkers has a Mega Star in 45 for sale. If I had the extra money I would buy it. I think he wants like $350 for it.
That's a good deal.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 23:56   #43
steve1911
Senior Member
 
steve1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: oregon
Posts: 2,551
Nice, built like a tank.




1911club#410
__________________
html
steve1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:03   #44
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1911 View Post
Nice, built like a tank.




1911club#410
No doubt
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:13   #45
SNIDER
Member
 
SNIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 46
Very cool looking gun...make sure and let us know how it shoots !
it looks similar to my wife's "baby desert eagle" but the eagle doesn't have that nice finish. Anyone looking for a heavy all metal gun built like the Star, check out the baby eagle.
SNIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 16:43   #46
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIDER View Post
Very cool looking gun...make sure and let us know how it shoots !
it looks similar to my wife's "baby desert eagle" but the eagle doesn't have that nice finish. Anyone looking for a heavy all metal gun built like the Star, check out the baby eagle.
I've got one of those as well.

The design is totally different (the BE is heavily based on the CZ 75), but you're right, its built like a tank just like most Stars.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:46   #47
Chestnut Forge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Polk, Pa
Posts: 3
You are going to love that Megastar. I have one just like it that I bought new in '92. It has many thousands of rounds though it and shows minimal wear. I bought 2 of the Pro-mag 10 round mags for it also. The Pro-mags are both a little sticky on release, I just haven't got around to polishing them yet. Star built these pistols like tanks. They were designed to handle the hottest loads out there. The research I have done suggests that .45acp was a second choice, with 10mm being the first. The 10 is a heavy recoiling auto pistol round. Others have converted 45 frames to 10mm and the gun shoot themselves apart. So the Megastar was built from the ground up to handle it. The were also designed as a military side arm (lanyard loop) but were not in production in time for Uncle Sam's trial when he was looking to replace the 1911. I found that the blued .45 is on the rare side and not really blued. It is a black phosphate finish for corrosion resistance. Mine has developed a patina on the back strap over the years. Enjoy your gun and sorry this was kind of rambling.
Chestnut Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:58   #48
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut Forge View Post
You are going to love that Megastar. I have one just like it that I bought new in '92. It has many thousands of rounds though it and shows minimal wear. I bought 2 of the Pro-mag 10 round mags for it also. The Pro-mags are both a little sticky on release, I just haven't got around to polishing them yet. Star built these pistols like tanks. They were designed to handle the hottest loads out there. The research I have done suggests that .45acp was a second choice, with 10mm being the first. The 10 is a heavy recoiling auto pistol round. Others have converted 45 frames to 10mm and the gun shoot themselves apart. So the Megastar was built from the ground up to handle it. The were also designed as a military side arm (lanyard loop) but were not in production in time for Uncle Sam's trial when he was looking to replace the 1911. I found that the blued .45 is on the rare side and not really blued. It is a black phosphate finish for corrosion resistance. Mine has developed a patina on the back strap over the years. Enjoy your gun and sorry this was kind of rambling.


Thanks for your thoughts on the Megastar. I bought it in late 2012 and have ran a box or two of ammo through it since then. Its a very soft shooting pistol. The fact that it weighs 48oz unloaded may have something to do with that.

Its a very well built pistol.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:16   #49
Chestnut Forge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Polk, Pa
Posts: 3
I have shot competition with mine. The weight makes for fast follow up shots. I have ran the light weight "tactical" .45s. You know, the ones made from all the neat space age polymers and one made from aluminum or titanium alloys. To much muzzle jump for me. If you haven't tried yours from the bench yet, Try some match ammo. It should hold a tight group. I think it was G&A magazine that did a review on them just before they hit the market. The test gun shot a 2 inch group at 50 yards. I was sold. Ordered mine that day.
Chestnut Forge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:51   #50
skeeter7
Brass Vulture
 
skeeter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 5,721
I must have missed that one. 48oz??? That's one big chunk o' steel. A belated congrats!
__________________
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:10.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 699
171 Members
528 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42