Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-17-2012, 20:43   #151
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto62 View Post
They've probably been gutting the company for along time to boost short term stock value (ie not reinvesting in the plant, securing new markets etc etc.)
You never close a profitable, well run business down out of spite for the union. Anybody who believes that is a moron. They've probably been planning this along time and are now using the strike as an excuse. I am no tax expert but business owners can claim additional tax breaks for going **** up, especially if it is due to labor strife, as well as stiffing people they owe money to. You know, just good business, nothing personal.
On the contrary.

There is an oversupply of capacity in the baking industry, lots of competition. Also a changing dietary profile of the country, we're more inclined to eat healthy and sales have been sagging for hostess. Kinda makes updating the plant with new equipment harder.
Old 11-17-2012, 20:47   #152
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
On the contrary.

There is an oversupply of capacity in the baking industry, lots of competition. Also a changing dietary profile of the country, we're more inclined to eat healthy and sales have been sagging for hostess. Kinda makes updating the plant with new equipment harder.
They have quite the nerve to call throwing two dozen artificial ingredients into a machine and watching a supposed food item roll of the line "baking".
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 21:17   #153
blk69stang

I got the last two packages of Hostess Ding Dongs in my town of 50,000 last night. I feel kinda lucky. Of course now I'm torn between eating them both, or ebaying one package for $1000.
blk69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 21:21   #154
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk69stang View Post
I got the last two packages of Hostess Ding Dongs in my town of 50,000 last night. I feel kinda lucky. Of course now I'm torn between eating them both, or ebaying one package for $1000.
I'd hold on to them. Pre-ban Ding Dongs can only go up in value over the next 10-20 years.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 22:46   #155
Westicle
Canadian... Eh

Send a message via MSN to Westicle

you guys do realize hostess canada thru thier company suputo is still making hostess products with no problems..... viva la'canada , when the zompocolypse happens all our food will be frozen so twinkees and ding dongs WILL last forever :P
Big Dawg, 10 Ring,Sub-Compact, Niner, Wheelhouse and Rimfire Club #403
I am not Anti-American, I am Pro-Canadian
Westicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:45   #156
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Hah...while most of you morons were freakin' out about the election and panic buying your ammunition I have been busy stockpiling Hostess Baked Goods for the REAL SHTF that's about to go down...

http://www.examiner.com/article/no-m...-union-strikes

Hostess is going to permanently shut down its bakeries due to a Union Strike!

I'm buying all the Twinkies, Ho-Hos, and Ding Dongs I can lay my hands on... Its better than gold I tell ya!

As for the rest of you peasants...NO CAKE FOR YOU!
I used to go see some people at the Wonder Bread store and get the cupcakes daily. Now I understand that Twinkies are being sold on ebay for hundreds of dollars. Obama and his unions.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:44   #157
NCWalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck TX View Post
Crap, I need another safe.
HA!
NCWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:01   #158
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto62 View Post
Im not saying unions are great....I think that blame can be spread evenly across the board. What I find confusing is people trying to vilify unions when CEO's and CFO's and Cwhateverthe****o's are running these company's into the ground, walking away with millions and leaving people who worked their whole lives with nothing. Yet union's are the bad guys destroying everything:huh? This thread is a perfect example, all the anti union people were quick to point and say....I told you so.....yet when more facts, and dare I say the truth starts coming out we see that it had a small part in this train wreck.

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk 2
The company laid it on the line to the union. You have a choice to make, accept the contract or lose your job.

It was their choice. They made their choice. They can live with it. That's what happens when you play chicken with someone who means what they say.

Don't try to shift responsibility to someone else. That is leftist drivel.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 11-18-2012 at 07:12..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:48   #159
CaptCave

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
What I find confusing is people who spout off when they have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.

The current CEO of Hostess is a man with a long history of working with distressed companies in turnaround. It's not an easy job, and not a lot of people can do it.

Millions? The C-level executive team at Hostess has been on a $1 salary since the spring.

The people who "worked their whole lives" (by which I assume you mean, the bakers) walked away with exactly the same thing as the other people who "worked their whole lives" at being management. Management works too, you know--it's different work, but it's still work. In some ways it's easier, in many ways it's harder.

At any rate--everyone walked away from the company with the wages they'd been paid, from the bakers to the CEO (and remember the CEO's salary right now is a dollar).

What "facts" are you talking about?

The facts are these: the company has been circling the drain since 2004 (the first time it went into bankruptcy).

It has received huge injections of cash (hundreds of millions of dollars) from investors who will never see their money again.

When management asked the union to go back to work because there would not be enough cash to operate the business without continued production and sales.

The union refused.

The company is liquidating.

How dare mgmt demand the workers work, or they won't have a job.

Obviously, the company is only there to provide the employees a job.

Congratulations Bakers Union, you are responsible for over 18k people being jobless this Holiday season. You were already being paid more than the market would bear. Now you are being paid what you are worth. And I hope that the state and the fed refuse to pay Unemployment benefits to any union worker that refused to work, since you didn't get laid off, YOU QUIT. Welcome back to the real world.
CaptCave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:54   #160
9mmdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yertology View Post
Yeah I've been watching. Do twinkies keep well? Cause I'm thinking these 4 boxes will get me a rtf2 g22 in a year or two
LOL I just bought a G22RTF2...............Hmmm RTF22 or 4 boxes of Twinkies...........
9mmdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:03   #161
airmotive
Tin Kicker

I scored the last package of Hostss Chocolate cup cakes at the local wally world.

I'm hoping the giant Mexican bakery company 'Bimbo' buys up the the assets.
Can't wait for my first cream-filled Bimbo Ding Dongs.
Old 11-18-2012, 18:06   #162
SevenSixtyTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
Unions going on strike is just a form of extortion. Let them rot.

We had a family owned trucking company here. Good place to work and took good care of everyone and competitive pay for this area.

Teamsters union came in and organized them. Got everyone worked up because the pay was not as high as some east coast states even though the cost of living was far less here. On an adjusted basis the wages were about the same. Then they demanded a benefits package that was unheard of and and driving schedules that basically made it impossible to move any trucks because everyone was at home instead of driving.

It came to a head one night at the terminal building. Owners accountants presented the company budget and showed what they were asking for was impossible. The union reps got everyone to strike and they sat outside the gates essentially locking the owners inside.

A few hours later the owners came out and announced the company existed in name only. All contracts, inventory, rolling stock and property had been sold. The employees were told they would need to find other jobs.

Union reps told them what a good job they had done, standing up to management and then just left.
When was this? What was the name of the now non existent company? I want to look it up and read about it.
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 16:11   #163
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Attachment 229168

Nuff said!

Last edited by Paul53; 02-23-2013 at 18:08..
Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:27   #164
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

The Okie Corral
Old 11-21-2012, 08:29   #165
mhambi
Hegemon

Kent Brockman: Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?

Professor: Yes I would, Kent.

The Okie Corral
Old 11-21-2012, 08:49   #166
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

The Okie Corral
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote