Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:41   #1
ghr1142

45 ACP vs 45 SUPER QUESTION

I'v been checking these for comparesen, and I find no differance in the brass. They are identical. My question is the Super just like a 45 ACP. +P+ ? If not ! whats so special about it. The bullet too is only .001 in diameter size.
Any info. would be welcome

Thanks.
ghr1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:49   #2
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghr1142 View Post
I'v been checking these for comparesen, and I find no differance in the brass. They are identical. My question is the Super just like a 45 ACP. +P+ ? If not ! whats so special about it. The bullet too is only .001 in diameter size.
Any info. would be welcome

Thanks.
I am curious myself. I have been tempted by .45 super for the speed up a typically slow round. However, I am reticient to do that with standard Glock barrel.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:44   #3
ghr1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
I am curious myself. I have been tempted by .45 super for the speed up a typically slow round. However, I am reticient to do that with standard Glock barrel.
I think your going to find a new barrel is in store. LWD.
Maybe some of the other Glockers can give us the details. Let me know if you get any info.
ghr1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 18:41   #4
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

The brass is identical externally. It's supposed to have a little bit beefier innards compared to the ACP because it is a higher pressure cartridge. I shoot the .45 Super and load for it, but I do use an aftermarket barrel to play it safe.
Old 11-11-2012, 19:51   #5
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
The brass is identical externally. It's supposed to have a little bit beefier innards compared to the ACP because it is a higher pressure cartridge. I shoot the .45 Super and load for it, but I do use an aftermarket barrel to play it safe.

Hey there my brother ! Good to hear from ya. I have had a wave of post for the last few days, after a long lay off on GT, and am just about to go back into my lay off again... haha, but saw your post..

I have read, as you know, I good deal of your post on the 45 super, and have another amigo on here, icemanchuck the tu tu cool friend of mine, that shoots a good deal of them.

I am trying to sell a like new G20SF, Out of my stock, and some x-tra barrels for it as well, to 'maybe" fund another 45acp to use as just 45 super. That is until Yesterday, when I drove in to Allen , TX, at Cabela's new store there and saw a "Cabela's special". Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag with a Bisley grip frame, and a 3 3/4" barrel ! Man... Sweet to the max ! Never I see this before, and all the years i been packin Ruger hog legs..

As I said it is a 'special run from Cabela's'. Soooo Perhaps, a down payment, and 90 days to get it out. There won't ever (more than likely) be another one of these again...

So, I still want to really get into the 45 super. Perhaps just by a AM barrel for one of the M1911's and do it that way. The rest is just a stiffer spring, and buying the "super brass." about 1100/1150fps with a 230gr bullet sounds nice to me, since I already carry 45acp EDC when "in Town" anyway...

To many dang decisions goin on amigo !

Well, see around. Drop me another email when ya can, let me know how your doin.

God bless ya !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 20:00   #6
Trigger Finger

I have been shooting 45 Super for several years out of my converted S&W 4506 and Glock 21sf. The way I understand it the brass is definitely beefier at the web of the casings but you can only see this on a cutaway.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/020.htm

The bottom of this link shows a cutaway of 45 brass. You can get the beefier Super brass at several places but I know Midway has it at a reasonable price.

I do use a Lone Wolf compensated barrel for the Glock to shoot the 45 Super but the standard barrel in the S&W holds up well. I love the 45 Super, it's a great cartridge!
Best price for 45 Super ammo is Underwood!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 21:11   #7
dougader

The 45 Super brass is also heat treated. From the Starline website:

Quote:
45 Super Brass (Large Pistol primer)
0.892 - 0.897 O.A.L.

45 Super* is the same externally as the 45 Auto, but has a thicker web, denser grain structure in the metal, and special heat treat process that enhances the durability of the case. Similar internal capacity as the 45 Auto. Some 45 Super load data was published by Triton Cartridge before they went out of business. *Loads to be shot ONLY in guns modified professionally to handle extreme pressures of this cartridge. DO NOT SHOOT IN STANDARD 45 AUTO!

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:54   #8
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
Hey there my brother ! Good to hear from ya. I have had a wave of post for the last few days, after a long lay off on GT, and am just about to go back into my lay off again... haha, but saw your post..

I have read, as you know, I good deal of your post on the 45 super, and have another amigo on here, icemanchuck the tu tu cool friend of mine, that shoots a good deal of them.

I am trying to sell a like new G20SF, Out of my stock, and some x-tra barrels for it as well, to 'maybe" fund another 45acp to use as just 45 super. That is until Yesterday, when I drove in to Allen , TX, at Cabela's new store there and saw a "Cabela's special". Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag with a Bisley grip frame, and a 3 3/4" barrel ! Man... Sweet to the max ! Never I see this before, and all the years i been packin Ruger hog legs..

As I said it is a 'special run from Cabela's'. Soooo Perhaps, a down payment, and 90 days to get it out. There won't ever (more than likely) be another one of these again...

So, I still want to really get into the 45 super. Perhaps just by a AM barrel for one of the M1911's and do it that way. The rest is just a stiffer spring, and buying the "super brass." about 1100/1150fps with a 230gr bullet sounds nice to me, since I already carry 45acp EDC when "in Town" anyway...

To many dang decisions goin on amigo !

Well, see around. Drop me another email when ya can, let me know how your doin.

God bless ya !

CanyonMan

Good to hear ya CM! That Cabelas special model Ruger SBH .44 w/Bisley grip sounds too cool, something to jump on for sure!

Think of it like this, selling your G20sf would fund most of that sweet Super Blackhawk and you probably won't need an aftermarket barrel for the 1911 since it probably has great case support anyways. You may have seen this CM, but here is a 1911 shooting .45 Super for only $8, basically just spring upgrades:

Take care brother, good hearing from you!

Last edited by SDGlock23; 11-12-2012 at 09:55..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 14:40   #9
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Good to hear ya CM! That Cabelas special model Ruger SBH .44 w/Bisley grip sounds too cool, something to jump on for sure!

Think of it like this, selling your G20sf would fund most of that sweet Super Blackhawk and you probably won't need an aftermarket barrel for the 1911 since it probably has great case support anyways. You may have seen this CM, but here is a 1911 shooting .45 Super for only $8, basically just spring upgrades:

Take care brother, good hearing from you!

Yep it is a really sweet six shooter. Now if I can only find a buyer for the 10mm. In this part of the country no one seems to want one ! ha.

Thanks for the link, it was good stuff brother.

Later amigo

CanyonMan

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:09   #10
Kentguy

Sorry folks - got my thoughts crossed up here.

Last edited by Kentguy; 11-15-2012 at 11:18..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:33   #11
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

STOP! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

45 ACP, AND 45 SUPER CARTRIDGE CASES ARE NOT THE SAME.

Keep on going the way you are now; and, 'kaBoom!' you'll quickly find out the hard way exactly what the difference between these two cartridges is.

45 ACP = 21,000 psi.
45 ACP +P = 23,000 psi.
45 Super = 28,000 psi.

NEVER USE STANDARD 45 ACP BRASS TO LOAD TO 45 SUPER VELOCITIES.

There is no such thing as, '45 ACP +P+'.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 11-15-2012 at 10:53..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 15:47   #12
SCmasterblaster

How do you tell between the brasses (.45 ACP and .45 Super) when retrieving them from the floor? Does the .45 Super have noticeable head stamps?
Old 11-15-2012, 19:26   #13
Iceman cHucK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
How do you tell between the brasses (.45 ACP and .45 Super) when retrieving them from the floor? Does the .45 Super have noticeable head stamps?
Yes, Starline brass is headstamped "45 Super"
Iceman cHucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 20:01   #14
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman cHucK View Post
Yes, Starline brass is headstamped "45 Super"
That's good. Otherwise, it would be very difficult to tell them apart.
Old 11-15-2012, 22:28   #15
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

I've used Winchester, and Starline 45 Super brass. All of it was headstamped, '45 Super'. Why? Because it has to be! (The web immediately behind the head is thicker and better able to withstand 45 Super pressure - Especially in significantly rebated Glock chambers.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 14:05   #16
SCmasterblaster

I often wonder why ammo manufacturers keep trying to make expandable hollow points in .45 caliber when the bullet width is already a wide .45 inches? I mean the 9mm makers are very pleased when their bullets achieve .45 inches after expansion. Why not just develop an ordinary SP or SWC load in .45ACP?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:17   #17
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I often wonder why ammo manufacturers keep trying to make expandable hollow points in .45 caliber when the bullet width is already a wide .45 inches? I mean the 9mm makers are very pleased when their bullets achieve .45 inches after expansion. Why not just develop an ordinary SP or SWC load in .45ACP?
Because when my .45 Super throws a 250gr Gold Dot out of my G21 Gen4 (KKM bbl) at 1050-1100 fps and expands to over .80" and penetrates deep, what's not to like?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:57   #18
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Because when my .45 Super throws a 250gr Gold Dot out of my G21 Gen4 (KKM bbl) at 1050-1100 fps and expands to over .80" and penetrates deep, what's not to like?
.80 caliber? Awesome.
Old 05-11-2013, 21:53   #19
chuckscap

Quote:
I know this is a Glock Forum and we have a G36 and like it a lot, but I've been shooting 45 Super loads (230g bonded Golden Sabre HPs at 1150 fps) out of my Springfield V16 LongSlide for over a decade for my self defense load. I shoot regular 230g 45 ACP hardball for practice and always finish up with a couple of clips of 45 Super. It's a great round!

Caliber Corner
chuckscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:48   #20
gatorboy

Quote:
That is one hell of a load! I'll have to check 45 Colt bullets for some short 250's.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote