Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:51   #261
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
Are you a supporter of the carbon-14 dating methodology?

Do you know if the Earth's atmosphere has reached the saturation point of carbon-14 yet?
Where's your empirical evidence you seem to require from everyone else? Demonstrate for the class why there is a saturation point, what the value is? Is the C14 actually going up?

You can just post a link to the creationist apologist web site you're quote mining from if you don't understand a thing about what you're saying, which is becoming painfully obvious. No sense you botching up descriptions of flawed theories.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:52   #262
wingryder

Quote:
I know what the Sun is, but when speaking only from an empirically derived scientific perspective, one must be guarded before claiming the Sun is "just like other stars" in the Universe.
What empirically is difference between our sun and other stars?

Are you aware that astronomers know a great deal about stars? We can tell their size, their chemical make-up, their temperture, their absolute magnitude and their lifespan!

Do you know they are able to extract this information through several overlapping methods (thus independently varifiable results).

Have you ever seen the Hertzsprung–Russell diagram?

Religious Issues

Spectroscopy?

Religious Issues

...or standard candles, paralax, doppler shift, type 1A supernovae & variable stars (and their significance to determining distances).

There is PLENTY of evidence that our sun is a star. While no 2 stars are precisely the same, there is nothing significantly different about our star... it is a humdrum, main sequence run-of-the-mill star. Certainly nothing that would reclassify it as anything other than a star. If you have any evidence to the contrary, please present it to the Astronomical Union for peer review. Science LOVES opposing opinion. That is how we learn.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Last edited by wingryder; 11-17-2012 at 09:56..
wingryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:55   #263
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Where's your empirical evidence you seem to require from everyone else? Demonstrate for the class why there is a saturation point, what the value is? Is the C14 actually going up? ...

Randy
Even the inventor of carbon-14 dating knew there was a saturation point. You're simply trying to dance around the questions. Nice try... but you'd better hurry up and google again. Better luck with your renewed search.

ETA: I asked you two, yes or no questions.

Do you know if the Earth's atmosphere has reached the saturation point of carbon-14 yet?
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 11-17-2012 at 09:57..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:56   #264
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingryder View Post
What empirically is difference between our sun and other stars?

Are you aware that astronomers know a great deal about stars? We can tell their size, their chemical make-up, their temperture, their absolute magnitude and their lifespan!

Do you know they are able to extract this information through several overlapping methods (thus independently varifiable results).

Have you ever seen the Hertzsprung–Russell diagram?

Religious Issues

Spectroscopy?

Religious Issues

...or standard candles, paralax, doppler shift, type 1A supernovae & variable stars (and their significance to determining distances).

There is PLENTY of evidence that our sun is a star. If you have any evidence to the contrary, please present it to the Astronomical Union for peer review. Science LOVES opposing opinion. That is how we learn.
Did you read the title of the thread? Certain folks I'll go tangential with, but others are usually smarter and can avoid it. Hint hint.

Stay on topic...
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."
Old 11-17-2012, 10:09   #265
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Could "contamination" by ground water affect the results of radiometric dating on a given sample supplied for such testing?
Are you suggesting that such "contamination" can not be readily identified in a sample and that researchers can not then correct for such error or eliminate the sample from the sample group altogether as biased due to external processes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 11-17-2012 at 10:10..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:13   #266
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

TO RECAP ( and catch up...):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
...That the Earth is fixed and immobile? ...
I going to assume you are speaking of Psalm 93:1.

A few minutes with a Hebrew lexicon, or a Strong's Concordance, will easily fixed this supposed contradiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
... The ability of Koalas to spread like seed and stow away on ships?
What particular chapter and verse in the Holy Bible are you referring to?

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 11-17-2012 at 10:15..
Old 11-17-2012, 10:21   #267
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber99 View Post
I'm sorry what do you mean by "still" i have less than 200 post and have never conversed with you before. How in the hell do you even have a previous opinion of me or my character.

Unlike you, I have the ability to recognize that others may be in position where their knowledge of a particular topic may surpass my own. And allowing them to debate said topic would be far more fruitful. you call it being a lemming I call it humility. Your self assurance on the other hand is so overly inflated that I really do believe you suffer from a mental disorder( That's not a joke or an insult,given the way you act I have serious concerns for you mental health).... but yes in real life as well I am capable of recognizing when others may be deserving of my respect, and believe that their opinions carry a high degree of creditability( again i must be such a lemming ). I do not walk around this earth believing that I am the undisputed expert on every topic or that my intelligence is somehow vastly superior to everyone else.You know for a christian, you have absolutely no concept of how to be humble.

My post did not address the bible but instead your arrogance and inability to participate in a rational discussion in which you may actually have to admit that your unqualified opinions are not indisputable. Or did that online school of yours make you an expert in physics to the point where you can totally dismiss the theories of PhD physicist on the formation of stars. Clearly you are just so much smarter than the rest of us .

When provided evidence you dismiss it out of hand. while casting baseless insults at just about everyone in a attempt to distract from the point that you haven't actually provided any actual evidence yourself. your explanations sound like something that could be found on the show "ancient aliens". Proof doesn't constitute statements like "may" or "isn't it possible". you're simply creating highly unlikely yet marginally possible scenarios out of thin air without actual proof that's what happened. yet you assume that that it is EXACTLY what happened, and that your theory is unquestionable. Allowing you to hold onto your preconceived idea of the truth. That's not proof, its a wild ass guess as to what may have happened completely lacking in evidence to support it...

Btw Claiming God made a donkey talk IS NOT ACTUAL SCIENTIFIC PROOF that any donkey ever talked.

"must suck to be you"- No I'm fairly awesome and rather content with my life. Religious Issues
I was right the first time... a lemming. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:31   #268
wingryder

Quote:
Did you read the title of the thread? Certain folks I'll go tangential with, but others are usually smarter and can avoid it. Hint hint.

Stay on topic...
Yes, I read the entire thread. I am addressing your point that the sun is not a star. How is that off topic?

But you have not addressed a single question in my post. Simply dodged by saying I'm off topic.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:48   #269
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Now, where were we...? Lucy's knee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
No, you previously stated that, "I reiterate, all available research I could find indicates that stars cannot form by themselves".

We're still waiting for you to provide any of this wealth of all available research.

Unless, of course, you're admitting that you're unable to provide scientific evidence that stars cannot form and you'd like to move on.
Then all of a sudden...
Quote:
It is no secret, lucy is the name...
And then you admonish wingryder to
Quote:
Stay on topic...
What is the current topic? Have you abandoned presenting evidence that stars cannot form and decided to move on?

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:51   #270
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Do you think that carbon-14 dating is used to date the earth?

-ArtificialGrape
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 14:19   #271
wingryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
Do you think that carbon-14 dating is used to date the earth?

-ArtificialGrape

Old 11-17-2012, 15:20   #272
Saber99

Quote:
I was right the first time... a lemming. Thanks for sharing.
ah..ok then seeing as how you haven't been right once yet in this thread I'm just gonna let that go. Btw I've really enjoyed the last 11 pages of you making your self look like a blatant idiot who most likely couldn't pass high school biology,physics or even chemistry. Seriously its a comedy at this point and I'm not sure you realize that you're the butt of the joke.

PW- You're a real winner,truly getting a lot out of that online education of yours huh? Remind me, what classes did you take? Your degree is in what? Because as far as I can tell all of your info/opinions about science are coming directly from the internet for wholly unqualified sources( if provided at all).

Now I'll just sit back and continue to watch you be torn apart by just about EVERYONE. I mean that have you noticed that no one is coming to your defense, not one. FFS that are members on this board who are whack job religious and even they don't have your back on this one.....does that tell you nothing?? At any point have you stepped backed and asked yourself why NO ONE agrees with you? Perhaps you're just not as smart as you liked to think you are?

You can call me a lemming ( I've been called worse by people who's opinion I actually respect). But at least I'm not a self-delusional, barely educated fool who doesn't quite grasp BASIC science, yet thinks he's intellectually on par with Stephen Hawkings.

It saddens me to know that people actually have to tolerate you in person. Your personality alone is intolerable.
Saber99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 17:32   #273
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Fixed it for ya!

I never said anything of the like, but before I fixed it, it was the best apology I ever saw you make. You're gettin' soft.
Reduced to changing others words? You truly have reached the nadir haven't you?
Quote:
Such an outlandish hypothetical occurrence based on your suppositions so far in this thread.

You will forgive me for not even pretending to respond until you or someone else actually gets close to having something worthy enough to give rise to decent premise on which to base such a question.
I've forgiven you for not responding up to this point, in fact I've come to expect it. Why would now be any different?
Old 11-18-2012, 20:00   #274
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Even the inventor of carbon-14 dating knew there was a saturation point. You're simply trying to dance around the questions. Nice try... but you'd better hurry up and google again. Better luck with your renewed search.

ETA: I asked you two, yes or no questions.

Yes

Quote:

Never heard anyone even bring this up.

Here's my 2 questions: where's the evidence that the atmosphere is or is not saturated yet. What's the relevance of whether the atmosphere is or is not saturated to carbon-14 dating.

If you're feeling generous, you can even explain what you think saturation of the atmosphere with regards to carbon-14 actually is. Define it, explain how you would determine what the saturation point is. How saturated with C14 is the atmosphere now?

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 11-19-2012 at 09:47..
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 17:07   #275
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
... Do you know if the Earth's atmosphere has reached the saturation point of carbon-14 yet? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
... Never heard anyone even bring this up. ...
Still dancing, but point of order here, the answer from you for this question would be "No," correct?

Right???
Old 11-19-2012, 17:14   #276
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber99 View Post
ah..ok then seeing as how you haven't been right once yet in this thread I'm just gonna let that go. Btw I've really enjoyed the last 11 pages of you making your self look like a blatant idiot who most likely couldn't pass high school biology,physics or even chemistry. Seriously its a comedy at this point and I'm not sure you realize that you're the butt of the joke.

PW- You're a real winner,truly getting a lot out of that online education of yours huh? Remind me, what classes did you take? Your degree is in what? Because as far as I can tell all of your info/opinions about science are coming directly from the internet for wholly unqualified sources( if provided at all).

Now I'll just sit back and continue to watch you be torn apart by just about EVERYONE. I mean that have you noticed that no one is coming to your defense, not one. FFS that are members on this board who are whack job religious and even they don't have your back on this one.....does that tell you nothing?? At any point have you stepped backed and asked yourself why NO ONE agrees with you? Perhaps you're just not as smart as you liked to think you are?

You can call me a lemming ( I've been called worse by people who's opinion I actually respect). But at least I'm not a self-delusional, barely educated fool who doesn't quite grasp BASIC science, yet thinks he's intellectually on par with Stephen Hawkings.

It saddens me to know that people actually have to tolerate you in person. Your personality alone is intolerable.
Please re-read this post of yours. Period. (Yeah, even you, meaning YOU, yeah, you'll get "it" eventually... I was right from the get go.)

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 11-19-2012 at 17:21..
Old 11-19-2012, 17:21   #277
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Yes, I read the entire thread. I am addressing your point that the sun is not a star. How is that off topic?

But you have not addressed a single question in my post. Simply dodged by saying I'm off topic.
You're way off! For instance, when did I say the Sun was not a star?

Be careful...
Old 11-19-2012, 17:30   #278
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
What empirically is difference between our sun and other stars? ...
When we look at the star closest to our own SOLAR SYSTEM, all we see, with the best telescope available at this present time, is basically a "dot of light."

However, when we look at "our" Sun, we can see all kinds of activity and even witness what we refer to as solar flares, which affect us between 8 minutes and up to several days later. We can plan on it due to our empirical scientific observations of the Sun in our galaxy.

Yet, other stars, even the closest ones we can look upon with telescopes, they are merely "dots," or "pinpoints" of light if you will, and we witness NOTHING as we do when we observe our own Sun.

The stars "out there" may be just like our Sun, and or our Sun may be just just like those other stars, but one thing is for sure...

We do not know with empirical scientific certainty that our Sun and those stars are just alike; therefore, they MAY or MAY NOT be alike, we don't really know to an empirical scientific certainty if they are or are not the same.

ETA: Maybe someday we will know, but right now, current Science cannot tell us for sure.

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 11-19-2012 at 17:38.. Reason: not galaxy, but solar system ;)
Old 11-19-2012, 20:49   #279
Andy123

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Silence rib.
Dude, I very agnostic, but I might be able to buy into that whole quite woman thing.

It it ever worked???

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn are put in the same box."

"The camel dances, and having danced, moves on."
Andy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 21:02   #280
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Yet, other stars, even the closest ones we can look upon with telescopes, they are merely "dots," or "pinpoints" of light if you will, and we witness NOTHING as we do when we observe our own Sun.
Demonstrably false. This is a visible light image (aka photograph) of Fomalhaut-b. A planet in orbit of a start aproximately 25 light years away. The planet is three times the size of Jupiter and I would concede that the planet itself is a mere "dot" to us, but the star most certainly is not.

Religious Issues

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Geko45; 11-19-2012 at 21:08..
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote