Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-16-2012, 19:34   #1
JDennis

Decisions Decisions.... First Revolver

Well went today and ordered my new 1911. My LGS was unboxing some new inventory and got a s&w bodyguard .38 +p and a ruger lcr .357 mag revolvers it. I have shot numerous "show your friends" ones but never owned one let alone a DOA pocket one. He said I could get one or the other at cost. Told him to hang on to both. Which one would be the one to go with? Doubt I will ever shoot .357 out of a stubby like the lcr but nice to have the option. The s&w had the laser sight. Both are within 30 bucks of the other.
JDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 19:40   #2
Glock40man

I'd go with the 357. Like you said, its nice to have the option.
Old 11-16-2012, 19:46   #3
Black&TAN

Almost want to kick myself for saying on a Glock forum, but I haven't warmed up to the idea of a polymer frame revolver yet...

That said, I summer carry my S&W 638 bodyguard in a DeSantis Nemesis holder. Very accurate for a snubby, and manageable with practice, despite the Airweight.

sent via Tapatalk
Black&TAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 19:52   #4
JDennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&TAN View Post
Almost want to kick myself for saying on a Glock forum, but I haven't warmed up to the idea of a polymer frame revolver yet...

That said, I summer carry my S&W 638 bodyguard in a DeSantis Nemesis holder. Very accurate for a snubby, and manageable with practice, despite the Airweight.

sent via Tapatalk
I hear ya there. Never thought I would own one but after handling them and both being sub 415.00. I figure why not. They both seem to get decent net reviews.

Last edited by JDennis; 11-16-2012 at 20:17..
JDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 20:33   #5
chief63

I'm a S&W revolver fan but I would take the LCR over the BG. Better trigger and sights. The BG laser is funky. With that said, a steel J-frame is my choice but the price jumps.

Last edited by chief63; 11-16-2012 at 20:36..
chief63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 20:34   #6
Bruce M

Safe guess you are looking at one or the other as a small concealed carry revolver then my choice would probably which ever was less expensive. And say that because the polymer revolver seems about as "good" as some of the recent triggers on the S&W j frames. I would probably skip both and go for an earlier S&W Model 36 or Model 60.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 20:41   #7
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

LCR. I like the S&W's, have had many. But the LCR is really nice. I can pocket carry, IWB, OWB or back up. It is so light weight it is very comfortable. Plus I have big hands and the grip is much better than my 642.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 20:54   #8
cphilip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&TAN View Post

Me three...

I'd carry a model 60 any day however. Or even a Ruger GP or something.
Old 11-16-2012, 21:27   #9
ojabog

My edc is the Ruger LCR 357. Its light and powerful. Very comfortable to carry and accurate enough to be effective.
Old 11-16-2012, 21:38   #10
ithaca_deerslayer

You aren't going to get the answer here. Don't worry about the magnum vs non-magnum in this type of gun unkess you are THAT type of guy.

Instead hold them in your hand, ask to dryfire, look at the sights, feel the grip, and pick whichever one YOU like better

Just kidding. Look at ALL the choices, and you'll end up with a 642
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 22:05   #11
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Shooting a lightweight snubbie like the LCR or the SW lightweight snubbies...don't worry much about a gun being able to shoot .357 Magnum. Sure, it's an option but it's an option that hardly anybody ever practices.

I own magnums all the way up to .454 Casull and I have even shot the .460 Magnum. I'd rather shoot these crazy powerful mofos than shooting an LCR in .357 Magnum. Yes, I did shoot the LCR in .357 Magnum as a range rental.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:03   #12
Redstate

Check out the Ruger Sp101. You won't look back.
Redstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:12   #13
DonD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstate View Post
Check out the Ruger Sp101. You won't look back.
I was going to say this but seemed drowned out by other suggestions.

If you want a revolver for carry, I think this is a great one. A little heavy for pocket carry but that weight makes it practical to shoot .357s. Fairly stout .357s constitute the majority of my shooting out of my SP101 and it isn't at all abusive. Far more durable than any S&W J frame. Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:33   #14
HexHead

I often carry a Colt Detective Special as my pocket EDC. I have a few tighter pockets that it's not practical for so I went shopping for a more "pocketable" revolver for those instances.
I looked at the new S&W Bodyguard revolver (I already have a BG.380) and although it had a nice trigger, it was just too funky with that ambi cyclinder latch. I've had a 442 and didn't care for it, so that was out. I liked the LCR, even though I thought it looked strange. Nice trigger, felt good in the hand, but the grip was no improvement size wise from my Colt. Also, it's "stickiness" made drawing it from a tight pocket even more problematic than the Colt. In the end, I chose the S&W 438. I like the way it feels better than I did the 442, the boot grip fits in my tighter pockets better and I like having the option to cock it if I choose.
I carry my pocket revolvers in a Mika pocket holster, and I prefer them to a .380 when I can.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 13:01   #15
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Shooting a lightweight snubbie like the LCR or the SW lightweight snubbies...don't worry much about a gun being able to shoot .357 Magnum. Sure, it's an option but it's an option that hardly anybody ever practices.
That is exactly what I was thinking! Can't tell you how many times I've read, or talked to people who say how nasty .357's are to shoot out of small light weight revolvers. I'm thinking few ever do although I guess it's good to have the option. I only need one pocket revolver, and it's a 642. From what I've heard, if I had to do it again, I would opt for the LCR. Hear their triggers are the best ever! It would be in 38+P though, and not the .357.
Old 11-17-2012, 15:35   #16
chief63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
I was going to say this but seemed drowned out by other suggestions.

If you want a revolver for carry, I think this is a great one. A little heavy for pocket carry but that weight makes it practical to shoot .357s. Fairly stout .357s constitute the majority of my shooting out of my SP101 and it isn't at all abusive. Far more durable than any S&W J frame. Don
Well..that's just not true. There are great j-frames. General Firearms Forum

Last edited by chief63; 11-17-2012 at 15:36..
chief63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 17:44   #17
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member

S&W would be my choice of those two. The ruger sp101 would also be a good choice
Old 11-17-2012, 17:55   #18
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The SP101 is good if you don't mind a much heavier snubbie. There ain't no free lunches: shootability or ease of concealment. The lightweight LCR and SW snubbies (Scandium & aluminum framed) are much more pocketable than the SP101 or the Colt snubbies.
Old 11-17-2012, 17:58   #19
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

BTW, as far as better trigger goes, I don't know what's the big whoopdedoo about the LCR's trigger pull. It's fairly light but it's not smooth - uneven pull but not good for staging like the Colt action.

However, I finally picked one up after renting a couple of times. I shot .38 and .38 +P out of the rental .38 Spl LCR, and the .38 was OK but the +P definitely packed a goodly amount of recoil more. Then the next time I rented the .357 Mag LCR and shot it with some 125-grain JHP. That was plenty enough.

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum