Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:17   #41
Jim1970
Learnin'

Beyond what I described, that's it. Last time I didn't go in and activate anything - at least not as far as I recall.

Right now I'm installing updates - 222 of them, to be exact.

Once that's done, how do I activate the driver?

Thank you!

Jim
Jim1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:24   #42
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1970 View Post
Beyond what I described, that's it. Last time I didn't go in and activate anything - at least not as far as I recall.

Right now I'm installing updates - 222 of them, to be exact.

Once that's done, how do I activate the driver?

Thank you!

Jim
Surprised you didn't have to last time..

Go to Additional Drivers, Highlight the b43 driver, and click Activate.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:32   #43
Jim1970
Learnin'

Man, I'm really having a tough go of this install. Nothing is working like the first effort.

I am receiving odd error messages. I will post pics of the screen.

I notice the computer is running very, very slow. It is plugged directly into my network via ethernet cable. I was unable to complete the software updates because the computer seemed to be hung up.

Any ideas as to what's up?

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by Jim1970; 03-30-2013 at 21:23..
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33   #44
Jim1970
Learnin'

This is a picture of the second error message screen.

Jim

Old 11-16-2012, 11:37   #45
Jim1970
Learnin'

Another odd message.

In addition, I've lost use of the mouse trackpad. From the last screen, I was able to use 'tab' and enter to move on. This is the screen that came up after - and I'm stuck - tab and mouse dead.

Maybe I just need to do another install?

Help!

Jim

Old 11-16-2012, 11:58   #46
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
I have a windows machine I've been trying for three years to get all of the graphics card functions to work properly on. These type of problems are not unique to Linux. There are just more windows gurus to help with windows problems.

'All in wonder' card with cable input and writing capabilities. Worked fine in Windows 2000. Used it as a home made DVR. Had to upgrade to WINXP. Now the card will only display the screen and NO functionality. There are many instances where windows will not work properly with technology.
Does their web site have specific drivers for XP? does that company support the card with XP? Did you contact their tech support?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 13:07   #47
Jim1970
Learnin'

Update: damn this is frustating!

Since my last post, I have done a completely fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Before, when dual-booting between Ubuntu and Windows XP, and after a lot of help here, everything worked fine. Now, I cannot get the computer to see my wireless network. I've done some reading online through the Ubuntu forums, and I've tried some of the different "sudo" commands, to no avail.

Any unput welcome!

Thank you,

Jim
Old 11-16-2012, 15:18   #48
Jim1970
Learnin'

Update: I got it!

After many hours of reading and searching and trying every stinking thing I could try, I finally got it! I have cut and pasted what I did:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo reboot

Finally!

The lesson is that the answer is out there, but it may take some patience and focus to find it!

Thanks to everyone here for their help and support.

Jim
Old 11-16-2012, 15:25   #49
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Update: I got it!

After many hours of reading and searching and trying every stinking thing I could try, I finally got it! I have cut and pasted what I did:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo reboot

Finally!

The lesson is that the answer is out there, but it may take some patience and focus to find it!

Thanks to everyone here for their help and support.

Jim
Like anything else, you will get better at it. Small problems were a big deal to me when I first got into Linux (Ubuntu). Then the small problems got easier for me to fix.

One skill I have developed is to be able to weed through the online solutions. Generally, there is an idiot proof, cut and paste, or simply "click this, click that" way to fix things. But when you search for a solution you will find 15 fixes. Out of 15, 5 are simply incorrect and the people writing them have no idea what they are talking about. Eight of them are correct, but they are of a very technical nature that are simply out of my league. But, two of them will be solutions that a simpleton like me can use. So what I've actually gotten good at is discerning the easy solutions.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 15:34   #50
Jim1970
Learnin'

WhiskyT,

You nailed it. I tried a dozen or so "fixes" to my problem, and only one worked. That's a pretty poor ratio; but for open source, that might be the norm.

From this point forward, I think the challenge becomes finding a consistently good source for solutions. GT has been great, but I know I need to find other sources.

Jim
Old 11-16-2012, 18:40   #51
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
WhiskyT,

You nailed it. I tried a dozen or so "fixes" to my problem, and only one worked. That's a pretty poor ratio; but for open source, that might be the norm.

From this point forward, I think the challenge becomes finding a consistently good source for solutions. GT has been great, but I know I need to find other sources.

Jim
You're so right about finding solutions. As Wisky said, you'll get good at deciphering what advice to totally disregard, and what "makes sense".

Beyond that though... installing the b43 driver, should have removed bcmwl-kernel-source, because that's a conflicting package... I imagine it did this last time, and for some reason, it didn't this time.

Did you get your mouse/trackpad working?
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 19:19   #52
Jim1970
Learnin'

Hello,

Yes, my track pad is working. At this time, everything is working great.

I was nervous about shutting it down and changing networks - however, I left work and was able to identify and connect to the wireless network at home. So far, everything is going great!

Thanks again for all the help!

Jim