Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:02   #101
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pliskin View Post
The company should shut down, fire all those worthless employees, and start back up fresh. F-unions
Havent read the whole thread....so maybe someone beat me to it....

Bankruptcy court today and 18500 people out of jobs as of today.

I guess it better to be unemployed and part of a union than employed and not part of a union.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10   #102
Z71bill

Once a facility gets taken out by a union - there will be a reluctance for anyone to come in and buy the facility.

I have been involved with this exact situation -

In a nut shell - we were looking for a facility to produce a new product - we were short on time and wanted to buy VS build.

We found a place that was perfect - would save us millions of dollars VS building -

Problem was the facility had a history of a crazy union willing to strike - willing to drive the company out of business to get their demands met.

We passed and as far as I know the facility never was put back into use.

Union taking a company out is sort of like an environmental disaster - it leaves a lasting stain.
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:27   #103
bill1725

I feel sorry for some of the union workers that did not want to loose their job. They are out of work but the union leaders still have their income check.
bill1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:40   #104
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1725 View Post
I feel sorry for some of the union workers that did not want to loose their job. They are out of work but the union leaders still have their income check.
Can you somehow sort out a "union workers that did not want to loose their job" VS one that did?

I am no expert - but have seen how things work up close a few times.

Union leaders made all sorts of promises - they get the employees all hyped up - making it into a crazy situation where people don't act in a rational way.

Solidarity!! We all must be together and if we stay together we will WIN.

Then BAM they are all out of a job.

I bet all but a few are wondering WTF did I just do? Why did I allow some smooth talking idiot to convince me to risk my job - end up unemployed?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42   #105
okie
GT Mayor

Damn, that a big bite of a crap sandwich
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:57   #106
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
Can you somehow sort out a "union workers that did not want to loose their job" VS one that did?

Union leaders made all sorts of promises - they get the employees all hyped up - making it into a crazy situation where people don't act in a rational way.

I bet all but a few are wondering WTF did I just do? Why did I allow some smooth talking idiot to convince me to risk my job - end up unemployed?
There were two different unions at play here.
Teamsters had agreed to the last and best offer from the company. The Bakers' union walked out. The Teamsters were not at all happy with the Bakers, but did not cross their picket lines.

The Teamsters will qualify for unemployment benefits under Indiana law. The Bakers will not.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:01   #107
JMarch
♩. ♪ ♫ ♪ ♬♩

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
Damn, that a big bite of a crap sandwich
kind of like eating a twinkie
JMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:25   #108
woodasptim

The Okie Corral
Old 11-16-2012, 12:33   #109
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Merry Christmas dumbasses
I was trying to think of something cute to say but you said it all.

This is just like the Eastern Airlines pilots union back in the day.

"Full Pay 'til the Last Day" etc. The problem is these morons caused the last day.

The union bosses who allowed the 27% pay cut sloan should be hammered for foisting lies.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:36   #110
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post

That's so very much how this BS works. Anywhere else it's "Risky Shift". Among unionists it's solidarity and standing up to the man. And fighting the ubiquitous, "Bad Management" bogie man.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:41   #111
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarch View Post
kind of like eating a twinkie
What's not to like???

Enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable and/or animal shortening – containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and canola oil, and beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup, solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow #5, red #40
czsmithGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:49   #112
07 LMB Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRik View Post
the company is owned by a hedge fund. if the employees worked for $0, they would still try to squeze them.
Such poor understanding of what actually happened.

Those hedge funds (I can just picture your bitter-beer face as you say the words) have basically been the lifeline for Hostess since they emerged from bankruptcy in 2009. They bought up and restructured outstanding debt and provided further financing so Hostess could stay in business and keep the union workers employed as long as they have.

You should be sending those hedge funds a thank you letter on behalf of the union employees who would have otherwise been out of work years ago.

Last edited by 07 LMB Z06; 11-16-2012 at 13:07..
07 LMB Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:52   #113
glocktecher

"Them union bosses are smart boys - they wil make sure all of us are taken cared of."

They took care of you allright - right out of a job

Wonder if the union bosses will lose any of their pay? :rofl
glocktecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 13:21   #114
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmotive View Post
There were two different unions at play here.
Teamsters had agreed to the last and best offer from the company. The Bakers' union walked out. The Teamsters were not at all happy with the Bakers, but did not cross their picket lines.

The Teamsters will qualify for unemployment benefits under Indiana law. The Bakers will not.
So which ones wanted to keep their job?

Looks like the Teamsters (perfect example of the solidarity BS in the name) - if they wanted a job - could have decided to cross the picket line and go back to work. Were they locked out?

Just saw a news report - that the Teamsters would not allow Wonder bread and Hostess products to be shipped on the same truck - they demanded two trucks deliver to the same store. Management must have been drunk when the agreed to this - they are also at fault.

If this is true it is a perfect example of why unions are bad. It is not always about the pay - many times it is the stupid work rules that really hurt the company. Imagine two 1/2 empty trucks stopping at the same store - instead of just allowing one truck to make the trip. How efficient and effective.

Now they all get to join team unemployed without benefits. I wonder how many will make more in the next 5 years than if they would have accepted the contract?

No way to know - but seems like most will end up worse off.

Last edited by Z71bill; 11-16-2012 at 15:58..
Old 11-16-2012, 13:55   #115
G23c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Little Debbie is anti-gun.
discusting!
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 14:33   #116
ClydeG19

They make Natures Pride bread. We've been buying that probably since it came out. :( Back to crummy bread again.

Last edited by ClydeG19; 11-16-2012 at 14:33..
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 14:45   #117
Sharkey

Al Qaida lives and Hostess dies? Dang you union bakers. Why doesn't Hostess get a bailout?

Twinkies the ultimate bug out snack. Maybe Winchester can give you a free twinkie with every box of ammo sold?
Old 11-16-2012, 14:52   #118
NDCent
Socially Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
What's not to like???

Enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable and/or animal shortening – containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and canola oil, and beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup, solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow #5, red #40

I swear, I think the raspberry covered twinkies also contain heroin.

Last edited by NDCent; 11-16-2012 at 14:56..
NDCent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 15:02   #119
VC-Racing
General Flunky

Hard to imagine that kid's that were born in this year , will never have the luxury of a Hostess Twinkie or HO HO .........
Old 11-16-2012, 15:20   #120
*ASH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC-Racing View Post
Hard to imagine that kid's that were born in this year , will never have the luxury of a Hostess Twinkie or HO HO .........
and prolly will never have stents and heart attack either
*ASH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 15:24   #121
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDCent View Post

I swear, I think the raspberry covered twinkies also contain heroin.
The Twinkies that are frozen, dipped in batter, deep fried in lard and THEN smothered in sickly sweet raspberry sauce are the ones that will be most missed.
czsmithGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 16:18   #122
rhikdavis
U.S. Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to rhikdavis Send a message via Skype™ to rhikdavis
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
They are the ultimate prep item. Shelf life of 120 years and a good source of calories in stressful times.

Twinkies and Ding Dongs will be currency in SHTF.

Ding Dongs are better strategically because there are 2 to a pack, so you can make change. However, Twinkies are lighter.

If you can't bribe your way past a government checkpoint with a coupla Ding Dongs you just ain't gettin past.
I keep a box on the seat for when I get pulled over.
Old 11-16-2012, 17:06   #123
fusegsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDennis View Post
RIP ding dongs.....
There was a guy that went to my high school named Rip Dingdongs. Sadist, if I remember correctly.

Last edited by fusegsp; 11-16-2012 at 18:15..
fusegsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 17:32   #124
pupcuss27
CLM Number 119
Charter Lifetime Member

All of the dentists will be taking a hit too. A lot fewer kids cavities by losing the sugar from these Twinkies.

I'm not sayin' that I didn't eat my fair share of the Hostess snacks.

RIP Twinkie ..
Old 11-16-2012, 18:22   #125
MarinePride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
Unions going on strike is just a form of extortion. Let them rot.

We had a family owned trucking company here. Good place to work and took good care of everyone and competitive pay for this area.

Teamsters union came in and organized them. Got everyone worked up because the pay was not as high as some east coast states even though the cost of living was far less here. On an adjusted basis the wages were about the same. Then they demanded a benefits package that was unheard of and and driving schedules that basically made it impossible to move any trucks because everyone was at home instead of driving.

It came to a head one night at the terminal building. Owners accountants presented the company budget and showed what they were asking for was impossible. The union reps got everyone to strike and they sat outside the gates essentially locking the owners inside.

A few hours later the owners came out and announced the company existed in name only. All contracts, inventory, rolling stock and property had been sold. The employees were told they would need to find other jobs.

Union reps told them what a good job they had done, standing up to management and then just left.
The same thing should happen with all of the government employee unions also, federal, state and local. They are overpaid and the taxpayers don't want to afford it anymore either. Unions are an anarchronism in modern days of serfdom for the masses.
MarinePride is offline   Reply With Quote