Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:11   #1
domestique

Storm Lake barrel: Chamber too tight!

Background: I have been a long time M&P/1911 guy andrecently joined the dark side by buying my first Glock… So far I am notimpressed.

Stopped at Cabelas and brought home a new Glock 20SF. So far I have nothing but bad luck with thispistol.

I bought a box of 200 grain PMC to function test (will berolling my own otherwise). Out of the 50I had 2 failure to return to battery (no limp wristing). Now this was before I cleaned her for thefirst time and I have since replaced the recoil rod and spring with aftermarketsteel setup, and wiped all of Glock’s “gold grease” off of the slide rails.

Main problem:

I also bought a 4.6” Storm Lake barrel (to shoot 200 grainWFNGC bullets). The barrel arrived andlock up is perfect, gorgeous machining, everything looks great. Go to chamber a round (more PMC) and thebullet gets half way into the chamber and stops. I have to wrestle the bullet out and than Itry to just drop a bullet into the barrel when the barrel isfieldstripped. Again, nothing! Thebullet only gets half way into the chamber before it gets stuck.

Has anyone else had this trouble before? Part of me wants totry another storm lake barrel as maybe I got a fluke or try a KKM instead.

Caliber measures 0.427

Thoughts?
domestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:29   #2
G29SFWTF

Just to clarify, does it fail to feed with the stock G20 barrel?

This is anecdotal but I see many more posts about problems with Storm Lake and Lone Wolf and few with KKM. I have a KKM for my G29 and it worked first time and every time. Same story for my two KKM G19, one threaded with comp and one standard length.
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:31   #3
domestique

Stock barrel, everything feeds fine, I can actually rattle the round around in the chamber!

Edit: Glock barrel measures 0.436

Last edited by domestique; 11-16-2012 at 09:34..
Old 11-16-2012, 10:07   #4
G29SFWTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by domestique View Post
Stock barrel, everything feeds fine, I can actually rattle the round around in the chamber!

Edit: Glock barrel measures 0.436
yeah that sounds like a glock chamber alright.

Might not be that the SL chamber itself on the is too tight but that the transition shoulder from ramp to chamber needs polishing. Storm Lake might offer to do this to make it right.

Edit: sorry I just re-read your post. If the round is factory load and it gets stuck half way in even when manually feeding it outside the gun then that's clearly a chamber problem.

Last edited by G29SFWTF; 11-16-2012 at 10:20..
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:15   #5
Yondering

If you had trouble with that ammo in the stock barrel, it's no surprise that it doesn't work in the tighter Storm Lake barrel. Sounds like an ammo problem, try something else, not PMC.
Yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:28   #6
domestique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
If you had trouble with that ammo in the stock barrel, it's no surprise that it doesn't work in the tighter Storm Lake barrel. Sounds like an ammo problem, try something else, not PMC.
I apologize if I was unclear, but I said the stock barrel feeds fine. The bullets actually rattle around from being loose. The storm lake barrel is way too tight
Old 11-16-2012, 11:30   #7
ds7br

So far (565 rounds) my Storm Lake has fired all the ammo I've fed it. Win, Fed, Speer, and all my handloads. Yes, the Storm Lake barrel is tight chambered compared to the factory one. Give them a call and see what they have to say/offer. You may in fact have gotten one that is a touch to tight.
Dennis
ds7br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 15:11   #8
edporch

Mine wasn't as bad as yours.
I could easily slide a cartridge into my field stripped Storm lake barrel.
If a new factory round won't even go in all the way, I'd contact Storm Lake.

In my case.
I got a Storm lake 10mm 6.02" barrel for my Glock 20 last month.
It would sometimes jam up with the cartridge part way into the chamber.

To fix it, I polished the chamber and feed ramp, and slightly rounded the edge of the transition from the feed ramp to the chamber.
Go easy on the edge rounding until it feeds without problem.
It didn't hardly take any to fix mine.

I also polished the outside of the barrel to a semi-mirror finish.
I was told that if I run my fingernail over it and feel ridges that this can cause wear to the Glock slide.

It now works great, with a much more supported chamber
SAF Life Member

Last edited by edporch; 11-16-2012 at 15:17..
edporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 16:18   #9
domestique

Thanks for the insight everyone. I emailed glockmeister, who I bought it from. I'll see what they say, I'm hoping I can just return it for a refund.

In the meantime I ordered a KKM from the factory. Worst case I'll have to deal directly with storm lake and will just sell which ever barrel I dislike the most.
Old 11-16-2012, 19:03   #10
alank2

Hi,

My SL barrel came with a slightly tight chamber too, but that is one of the reasons I wanted it. With a little polishing it works perfectly now. I know SL will polish it for you if you send it to them.

Good luck,

Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
alank2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:29   #11
swinokur

^^^^^^

This. I sent it to SL for a polish job. No problems since.
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:30   #12
oceanbob

Here is an older thread on this subject. I had the same problem and fixed it in about 11 minutes by polishing.

Read this:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...6#post18399336
oceanbob is offline   Reply With Quote