Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-15-2012, 14:40   #1
m2hmghb

Sigh the fun of building your own pc

Well the fan in the coolermaster V8 cooler just went, sounds like a bad bearing. I go to try and take it out but two screws are stripped, wonderful. To make it better the cutout for the back of the socket is in the wrong spot so I have to take the entire motherboard out to put a new cooler on it. I'll be using the corsair H50. I have it running right now for about 8 hours before I put it in. I have three 200mm fans and two 120mm fans plus my room is airconditioned so it should take up the slack from having no cpu fan.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 18:47   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
Well the fan in the coolermaster V8 cooler just went, sounds like a bad bearing. I go to try and take it out but two screws are stripped, wonderful. To make it better the cutout for the back of the socket is in the wrong spot so I have to take the entire motherboard out to put a new cooler on it. I'll be using the corsair H50. I have it running right now for about 8 hours before I put it in. I have three 200mm fans and two 120mm fans plus my room is airconditioned so it should take up the slack from having no cpu fan.
Honestly, I highly doubt that. CPU's generate a tremendous amount of heat. I would not run it w/o a cpu cooler.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 19:00   #3
Detectorist

CPUs go into meltdown mode without a dedicated fan. Depending on which one you have it will slow down to a crawl or just shut off.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 19:12   #4
m2hmghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
CPUs go into meltdown mode without a dedicated fan. Depending on which one you have it will slow down to a crawl or just shut off.
It shuts down at 90 degrees celcius. I have real temp running on it and the room is airconditioned. I'm not using a lot of resources and the heat sink is still getting air flow from the 3 200mm fans and 3 120mm fans. Real temp is showing it at 40-55 degrees celcius.

Old 11-16-2012, 19:15   #5
TK-421

I'd much rather spend a few minutes doing it myself, rather than take it to a repair shop and have them do it. At least when I do it, I know it will be done right and will be done when I want it to be done. Instead of sitting in the shop for a day or two before someone can get around to fixing it.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 19:43   #6
m2hmghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I'd much rather spend a few minutes doing it myself, rather than take it to a repair shop and have them do it. At least when I do it, I know it will be done right and will be done when I want it to be done. Instead of sitting in the shop for a day or two before someone can get around to fixing it.
Most of the shops around here are the big box stores and I trust them less then I trust the taliban. I just have to wait until I'm feeling well enough to deal with it, between sandy and the snow storm athena it's been a bit rough here. I also don't want to install the corsair until I'm sure it won't leak, so if the PC is on the corsair is running. To be honest I look forward to it, I've had it for over a year and just haven't wanted to deal with pulling the mobo out and everything.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:14   #7
JimmyN

Unfortunately having to remove the motherboard to get the bracket on is not unusual, they always seem to be either too small or in the wrong location.

I'm surprised it will boot without a fan connected to the CPU fan header. Most won't make it through POST if it can't sense a fan is present for the CPU. The BIOS will usually stop with a 'no cpu fan' type message.

I don't think you'll have any problem with the H50. I've built 11 systems using the H100 (120x240 radiator) and all are working perfectly with no leaks. They are very nice self contained liquid CPU coolers. I can't speak to the H50 as I've never tried one but I consider the H100 good up to about 130 watts with the stock fans. Add two "pull" fans for a total of four and it's good for over 170 watts. Provided you have good air flow through the case to keep internal temps down. Trying to cool with hot air doesn't work well whether you're blowing it over a heatsink or through a radiator.