Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:23   #326
DanaT
Pharaoh

The one thing I can be thankful for is when I hire an electrician, I will make sure an ask if they have union employees. If they say yes, I will move onto the next contractor and skip the union one.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:57   #327
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by di11igaf View Post
You have no idea how it works now your grasping at straws. The hall has a list of guys available for work. Most union construction workers go from contractor to contractor, job to job. Sometimes its personnel preference, sometimes a job winds down where it doesn't need 100 guys any more, they go on the list. Another contractor needs 50 guys for a few months tomorrow, the ones who have been out the longest get called first. If it so happens our particular local is currently at full employment, we call one of our sister locals, get manpower from them. The reverse applies, if I've been out for a few weeks, and no calls get to me, I can take a call anywhere in the US if I want.
Some calls may last a day, some 10 years, the member has the option to take or deny calls, but the call will always get filled. Nice try on 'limiting- labor' that makes no sense. Why would we limit what labor a contractor has access to when they are the ones who pay us. We KNOW the contractor must succeed for us to work. If they absolutely need guys for a job we wouldn't risk losing that job or the contractor so we could create a false labor shortage. It would be the opposite, they have access to as much as they need. This is a quick explanation there's obviously more to it that only this, but that's the jist of it
Some guys wait for overtime calls, work six months or 8 months, make 100k then take the rest off. Some guys hate overtime and avoid calls that ask for it. Some guys want summer off, some winter, some work 40's year round. Some like to travel to other states and work while they're there.
Are you one of the IBEW brothers who works to elect democrat politicians who seek to pass gun laws?
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 13:08   #328
di11igaf
ibew

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Are you one of the IBEW brothers who works to elect democrat politicians who seek to pass gun laws?
Yes, that's my main objective to find a candidate who is gonna take our guns, even though I'm on here in a gun forum, an NRA member, ccw holder, and avid shooter. Half the republicans are just as bad, so don't give me that bs. There ARE other things to politics besides gun control.
Old 11-15-2012, 13:13   #329
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Yes, that's my main objective to find a candidate who is gonna take our guns, even though I'm on here in a gun forum, an NRA member, ccw holder, and avid shooter. Half the republicans are just as bad, so don't give me that bs. There ARE other things to politics besides gun control.
You are correct. Like voting for politicians who like union busting. There are a few traits I look for in a politician.

2x4=8, not 14.
Old 11-15-2012, 13:30   #330
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
But your union gives them tens of millions of dollars.

Are you willing to sell your gun rights? Isn't that essentially what you're doing?
Old 11-15-2012, 15:52   #331
di11igaf
ibew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
The one thing I can be thankful for is when I hire an electrician, I will make sure an ask if they have union employees. If they say yes, I will move onto the next contractor and skip the union one.

That's fine, settle for inferior work. When the fire starts, don't call the fire department, they're probably union. Skip right over POLICE in the phone book also, they could be union.
Old 11-15-2012, 15:55   #332
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
That's fine, settle for inferior work. When the fire starts, don't call the fire department, they're probably union. Skip right over POLICE in the phone book also, they could be union.
Fire depts and police agencies provide services that can't be shopped, unlike trades. We have no control over them.
Old 11-15-2012, 16:01   #333
Arquebus12
CLM Number 287
Non-broccophobe

Quote:
Have you ever worked in a non-union shop?

There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with $700 and a .30-06.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Arquebus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 16:12   #334
di11igaf
ibew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquebus12 View Post
Have you ever worked in a non-union shop?
Absolutely, that's where I started.
Old 11-15-2012, 16:14   #335
Roger1079

Quote:
Nope, I didnt read your specific post as I haven't read every page in this thread, so fair point. I'll look for it.
Post 135. Its on page 6 for me.

After you read about the ordeal I witnessed at a union job, I would love to hear your opinion on the subject.

Last edited by Roger1079; 11-15-2012 at 16:15..
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 16:19   #336
Roger1079

Quote:
So any work done by a non union shop/employee is inferior to work done by union shops/employees? You don't really believe that do you?
Old 11-15-2012, 16:26   #337
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
So any work done by a non union shop/employee is inferior to work done by union shops/employees? You don't really believe that do you?
Of course! Duh!
Old 11-15-2012, 16:32   #338
AWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1178 View Post
If you don't want your workers to Unionize, don't give them a reason to.
If your workers know that you will close down the business before dealing with unions, then they will have no reason to unionize. That's the best method of giving them no reason.
AWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 16:38   #339
AWoods

Quote:
There's a lot of great work done by union workers, and I personally will be happy to do business with companies that have union workers, so long as they do not do crap like GM did:

1. put out ****ty cars, and overcharge
2. force people to give you their money through threats of prison and violence
3. repeat steps 1 and 2

This sort of thing is simply evil, and we need to stand up against it.
AWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 16:39   #340
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWoods View Post
If your workers know that you will close down the business before dealing with unions, then they will have no reason to unionize. That's the best method of giving them no reason.
Don't shut down. Fire everyone, then hire new employees. In this economy, you could easily cut your payroll by 25% this way.
Old 11-15-2012, 16:41   #341
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

Il be sure and tell my non union electrician he's incompetent. I'm sure he'll get a good laugh out of it.
Old 11-15-2012, 16:43   #342
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Union butthurt is the best (and most expensive) butthurt.
Old 11-15-2012, 16:45   #343
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWoods View Post
There's a lot of great work done by union workers, and I personally will be happy to do business with companies that have union workers, so long as they do not do crap like GM did:

1. put out ****ty cars, and overcharge
2. force people to give you their money through threats of prison and violence
3. repeat steps 1 and 2

This sort of thing is simply evil, and we need to stand up against it.
My electrician is a union worker and he does great work. I was never questioning the abilities of workers that are union employees. I was questioning the statement by di11igaf that non union workers do inferior work.
Old 11-15-2012, 16:46   #344
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
The problem with the union electricians is figuring out which guy did it wrong, and which 3-5 of his coworkers stood around drinking coffee while they watched him do it.
Old 11-15-2012, 16:46   #345
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
The problem with the union electricians is figuring out which guy did it wrong, and which 3-5 of his coworkers stood around drinking coffee while they watched him do it.
That's all in the contract
Old 11-16-2012, 02:15   #346
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
That's all in the contract
Old 11-16-2012, 04:52   #347
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Sorry, neither police nor fire are union here.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10   #348
DanaT
Pharaoh

Dilligaf,

Can you please explain to us how the union has helped the workers at Hostess? It seems to me that as of today there are 18500 unemployed people that didnt need to be unemployed all due to unions.

Simply put the money wasnt there to pay them more. A company doesnt go to bankruptcy and liquidate assets if it doesnt have to. So, 5000 greedy,low skill workers close a company and force 18500 out of jobs.

Explain to us how this is good and why we should look at unions as a positive thing?
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 11-16-2012, 14:42   #349
di11igaf
ibew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Dilligaf,

Can you please explain to us how the union has helped the workers at Hostess? It seems to me that as of today there are 18500 unemployed people that didnt need to be unemployed all due to unions.

Simply put the money wasnt there to pay them more. A company doesnt go to bankruptcy and liquidate assets if it doesnt have to. So, 5000 greedy,low skill workers close a company and force 18500 out of jobs.

Explain to us how this is good and why we should look at unions as a positive thing?
Firstly I'll respond and answer as long as I'm not attacked like I'm personally responsible for the end of civilization since I'm a union electrician. I did this to better myself and support my family, period. I come to this forum cause I own glocks.
Secondly,
Let's look at WHY they went on strike, its the members choice to strike or not. Not only that, if a union strikes, the companies can replace the workers with non-union workers. Back to this later. You said-
'Simply put the money wasnt there to pay them more. A company doesnt go to bankruptcy and liquidate assets if it doesnt have to. So, 5000 greedy,low skill workers close a company and force 18500 out of jobs.'
You said it like they were asking for a raise, if this is what you heard its not true. As you said these are already low skill jobs, as far as money in the pocket, probably not much above minimum wage, but they had decent benefits. Hostess want to cut benefits almost in half, as well as cut in the pocket pay. This has been going on for a WHILE now, this just didn't happen over night. Hostess has filed bankruptcy twice in 8 years, but their top 20 got a ****ing 80% salary increase, up until recently record bonuses also. When they stopped the bonuses, they converted part of the performance based bonuses for the top into salary instead, cause they were performing oh so well with 2 backruptcy's. THIS is why they went on strike, a few months ago the top decided they would bump salaries to where they were previously, so ultimately they made no sacrifice, why should the worker, who ISNT raking in millions? Its the owners right to pay whatever salaries he wants to his top management, but its also the workers right to dis-approve of it and not just take it in the ass.
Should they have striked? I don't know, but put yourself in their shoes, they were probably livid. If it were non-union workers, instead of striking, many would of quit. What would you have done. I don't agree with every thing every union does, I'm not huge on public unions and I know they're not necessary in every industry. I'm in a private union, where the workers and the business owners get along just fine, sometimes even work side by side, as I do with the owner of the contractor I work for. I happen to believe they are a benefit here, obviously so do all the contractors who opened their doors ready to hire our members.
OK, the end for now.

Last edited by di11igaf; 11-16-2012 at 16:32..
di11igaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 14:46   #350
Z71bill

Oldie but still good - I actually used this article to help beat back a union organizing effort at one of the plants I managed.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...d=2002_3571467

"But it has become a sour moment for other labor leaders because the Teamsters didn't use union construction workers.
They were told by the Teamsters that union contractors cost too much."

The Teamsters union guys were even smart enough to figure out using union electricians cost too much!

Last edited by Z71bill; 11-16-2012 at 14:48..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote