SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:03   #51
English

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I carry a G17 that launches 115gr JHPs at 1400 FPS. And it is true, if I can't resolve a gun battle with 34 of these rounds, then I'll get my Mossberg M500 12ga and use OOO buck, which is like shooting 8 nine-millimeter slugs at once at 1350 FPS.
But if you haven't resolved the battle after 34 rounds, do you think you will still be able to get to your M500 even if they were only shooting .22s at you?

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12   #52
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockworks View Post
Maybe I wasn't clear, I don't want to get shot at by even a .22LR, I am a whoose when it comes to such things.
Everyone is! Don't want to get shot with a broadhead, either!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:21   #53
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Agree.

I still say the .357 Mag with a 4" barrel loaded with a 125 grain JHP loaded to 1,450 fps has a good bit of a edge over the .45 ACP and just about everything else in the handgun world that you are likely to tote with you on a daily basis.

(That ought to piss some people off! )
Except...the 10mm.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:46   #54
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockworks View Post
Maybe I wasn't clear, I don't want to get shot at by even a .22LR, I am a whoose when it comes to such things.
Now, when you say "whoose", do you mean "wuss"? This is important.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
Old 11-14-2012, 10:10   #55
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC View Post
Now, when you say "whoose", do you mean "wuss"? This is important.
No it's not! You knew what he meant! That's how they spell it in the north!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:55   #56
Andy W

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I carry a G17 that launches 115gr JHPs at 1400 FPS. And it is true, if I can't resolve a gun battle with 34 of these rounds, then I'll get my Mossberg M500 12ga and use OOO buck, which is like shooting 8 nine-millimeter slugs at once at 1350 FPS.
You better be going for your Mossberg before you've expended all 34 rounds. I'd say if you're getting close to having to reload your G17, then you need to either retreat or go for the shotgun. But obviously as a civilian retreat wasn't the best option in the first place or you wouldn't be in a gun fight at all.
Andy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:45   #57
Kentguy

I think that flw came about as close to the heart of the matter as anyone... "On pistols only, you choose that largest caliber you can accurately shoot. If it a 22 then that's it, Doesn't matter what caliber you almost hit the target with."

I really don't now how many of you have every had to actually pull your pistols to defend yourself either here in the States or in the military over-seas, but if you have you understand just how fast "things go down". You don't have time to truly utilize your expensive sights & lights, you have about 1 or if you lucky 2 seconds to pull and shoot! That's the truth.

Rather than be concerned about what you use, spend more of your time & money being damn good and what you have. If it's a 380 or 45-70, you'll most likely get 1 shot, so be proficient enough to make it count!

Well... that's my 2 cents FWIW.

Last edited by Kentguy; 11-14-2012 at 11:46..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:13   #58
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
You better be going for your Mossberg before you've expended all 34 rounds. I'd say if you're getting close to having to reload your G17, then you need to either retreat or go for the shotgun. But obviously as a civilian retreat wasn't the best option in the first place or you wouldn't be in a gun fight at all.
You are right, of course. If I have to go to my second mag, it is time to get my shotgun. BUT, I am an expert shot under stress (1990 Second Chance Combat Shoot Champion), and I would have to be faced by 12 or more assailants to need more than 17 9mm shots.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:47   #59
CigarandScotch
Fartacus

I wonder about what the plural form of "whoose" would be. Wheese? Whice? Whooses?
Old 11-14-2012, 14:15   #60
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarandScotch View Post
I wonder about what the plural form of "whoose" would be. Wheese? Whice? Whooses?
Whose (?)
Old 11-15-2012, 03:03   #61
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC View Post

Except...the 10mm.
Sorry but outside of penetration, I don't see what the 10mm does that the .40 doesn't already do for all practical purposes.

For self defense, I don't need more than the .40 S&W or the .45 ACP.

For the woods, I want more that what the 10mm has to offer.

It's a good cartridge in it's own right but I can't justify the cost and recoil when the .40 or .45 does everything I need them to do without the cost, recoil, bulk, and the sever potential for over penetration.

To sum it up, my personal feeling on the 10mm is it's too much for the two legged critters and too little for the four legged ones. Too much in one case and not (or barely) enough in the other. I just never saw what the 10mm could do for me that cartridges slightly larger or slightly smaller couldn't do already.

The 10mm was a solution in search of a problem and was more of a bastard round than the .40 S&W IMHO.

Last edited by NEOH212; 11-15-2012 at 03:08..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:05   #62
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikkoolaid View Post
Set that off inside your house some night, and I hope you actually get that "one shot stop", because you'll be blind and deaf for several minutes afterwards.
Yet another reason I carry a .45 and not a .357 Mag. It's still hard to argue against the track record of the .357 Mag and that particular load though. Maybe if this was 1960 I'd be carrying one!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:28   #63
JW1178

It seems to me that it's the 9mm people who are trying to compensate for something.

I mean, why do they have to post about things like this to reassure themselves?

All these threads about "Hey, my 9 is fine". Seems like there is some insecurities.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:12   #64
clarkz71

Quote:
Sorry but outside of penetration, I don't see what the 10mm does that the .40 doesn't already do for all practical purposes.

It's a good cartridge in it's own right but I can't justify the cost and recoil when the .40 or .45 does everything I need them to do without the cost, recoil, bulk, and the sever potential for over penetration.

To sum it up, my personal feeling on the 10mm is it's too much for the two legged critters and too little for the four legged ones. Too much in one case and not (or barely) enough in the other. I just never saw what the 10mm could do for me that cartridges slightly larger or slightly smaller couldn't do already.

The 10mm was a solution in search of a problem and was more of a bastard round than the .40 S&W IMHO.
Excellent and accurate post.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:01   #65
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Quote:

I agree with your post for the most part. I have nothing against the 10mm at all, however for carry I'm fine with the .40 and .45. If I go out in the woods, I'm carrying something with a good bit more power than the 10mm can offer, although there is nothing wrong with hunting with a Glock.

If there was a huge difference between the 10mm and .40, say 400-500 fps and it used bullets designed specifically for the extra speed, maybe the 10mm would have more merit with me. As it stands, there's maybe 150 fps difference between them both (loaded hot), which brings me to the issue of penetration.

I don't think the 10mm generally suffers from over penetration with JHP bullets and here's why. A hot loaded 10mm (as well as a hot loaded .40) can both push essentially every JHP bullet out there beyond the velocity they're designed for. That generally decreases penetration instead of increasing it. That's not necessarily bad, but then again, pushing a bullet faster than what it's meant to be driven isn't exactly good either, as bullet failure tends to limit penetration.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36   #66
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

The 9mm is the superior choice because it has a reputation for requiring mag dumps, so it's politically correct to burst a quick 15 rounds to center mass before the BG can even fall down. Cops routinely do this, even in groups, making it legally defensible.

Anybody who tries this with a super-dooper one shot stop state of the art caliber like 10mm or anything starting with a 4 could be charged with excessive force.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:08   #67
JW1178

Quote:

Did you just say too much power and mention a handgun cartrige in the same sentence? God forbid using a 12g, that's too much power!!!
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:50   #68
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by English View Post
But if you haven't resolved the battle after 34 rounds, do you think you will still be able to get to your M500 even if they were only shooting .22s at you?

English
I'd go for my shotgun while I was still shooting my initial 17 rounds from my G17.
Old 11-15-2012, 15:47   #69
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:

Well, I've replied to you in another thread on nearly the same thing so I won't repeat it here too much...but I'll cover a few different points.

I understand that you test your ammo, I don't know how or what you do for testing. It would seem to me that if you can't see any difference between the other calibers you mention besides penetration, I would only guess that you may not be shooting enough stuff. Whether it's water jugs, magazines, car parts, whatever...it's been my experience the 10mm flat out stands above the others you've mentioned with authority. Here again, this is just an assumption and I won't pretend to know what you do for testing. My tests are not scientific in the least but I do not form my opinions of the 10mm capabilities on my tests, or any one test alone.

On another note, in reference to your post regarding the .357 mag. You would think it would be hard to argue the 10mm ballistic capabilities when it's toting the same numbers or better than the King of stopping. The .357 did this with antiquated bullet design which had a strong tendency to fragment. I know you like published street data for backing but damn, sometimes a freight train is a freight train.

Old 11-15-2012, 15:54   #70
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
The 9mm is the superior choice because it has a reputation for requiring mag dumps, so it's politically correct to burst a quick 15 rounds to center mass before the BG can even fall down. Cops routinely do this, even in groups, making it legally defensible.

Anybody who tries this with a super-dooper one shot stop state of the art caliber like 10mm or anything starting with a 4 could be charged with excessive force.

This is good to hear, CTM. For I will put a 12-round group on the torso of my attacker.
Old 11-15-2012, 19:09   #71
copo9560

Quote:

I am always amazed how the 10mm has the love/hate thing going. Few folks in the middle.

As for me, I like my G20SF and actually chose this over a 45, also owning 9 mm and 40 SW. The 10mm pistols are really no bigger than the 45's and not really much more expensive to shoot either, biggest issue is ammo is harder to find. Last time I checked, G20 and G21 were about same price too and far less than a decent 1911.

I picked the 10 over 45 as it has more options in a single platform. Can run a wider range of bullet weghts than either 40 or 45 and factory loads range from 40 power to near nuke loads from Underwood. I have found the G20 also shoots 40 bulk ammo you can buy at Walmart and after using this hundreds of times have yet to have it fail to function. Recoil, even with the hottest loads, is managable and muzzle blast is far less than a 4 inch 357 or 44.

I am a better shot with the G20 than my other choices which would make me lean towards this for HD. 165 Gold Dots at about 1400 fps seem like a reasonable choice for this duty. The G23 is a better CCW choice but if I could I would swap it for a G29. (they also function with 40 ammo)

There are lots of bastard rounds out there that have their fans. Besides 10 mm there is the 38 Super, 9x25 Dillon, 45 Super, 45-08 and newest on the block 460 Rowland. I am considering the 9x25 next, mostly as it is different. Each to his own.
copo9560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 19:42   #72
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by copo9560 View Post
I am always amazed how the 10mm has the love/hate thing going. Few folks in the middle.

As for me, I like my G20SF and actually chose this over a 45, also owning 9 mm and 40 SW. The 10mm pistols are really no bigger than the 45's and not really much more expensive to shoot either, biggest issue is ammo is harder to find. Last time I checked, G20 and G21 were about same price too and far less than a decent 1911.

I picked the 10 over 45 as it has more options in a single platform. Can run a wider range of bullet weghts than either 40 or 45 and factory loads range from 40 power to near nuke loads from Underwood. I have found the G20 also shoots 40 bulk ammo you can buy at Walmart and after using this hundreds of times have yet to have it fail to function. Recoil, even with the hottest loads, is managable and muzzle blast is far less than a 4 inch 357 or 44.

I am a better shot with the G20 than my other choices which would make me lean towards this for HD. 165 Gold Dots at about 1400 fps seem like a reasonable choice for this duty. The G23 is a better CCW choice but if I could I would swap it for a G29. (they also function with 40 ammo)

There are lots of bastard rounds out there that have their fans. Besides 10 mm there is the 38 Super, 9x25 Dillon, 45 Super, 45-08 and newest on the block 460 Rowland. I am considering the 9x25 next, mostly as it is different. Each to his own.
I may get a G20 soon!

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 11-15-2012 at 19:43..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 21:29   #73
closetoreality

Love my 19, and have no worries of putting someone to the ground with it if need be.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
closetoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:55   #74
Billy10mm

Here's what the FBI has to say on the subject: http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf
H&K P30S 9mm
Ruger SR22
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:11   #75
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetoreality View Post
Love my 19, and have no worries of putting someone to the ground with it if need be.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Good for you, sir - outstanding!