SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-14-2012, 13:46   #1
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

Do FMJHP's expand?

Just wondering if .223/5.56 full metal jacket hollow points in either 55 or 62 grain actually expand as, I imagine, a semi jacketed would?
Sgt.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 14:08   #2
SCmasterblaster

The .223 HPs

have a sizable cavity. And at the high speeds they operate, bullet expansion is very likely.
Old 11-14-2012, 15:52   #3
cowboy1964

Rifle JHPs don't expand like pistol rounds do, they fragment. All the hollow point does is (supposedly?) aid accuracy and tendency to yaw (which causes fragmentation).

Jacketed Soft Points (JSPs) expand though. I don't hear them referred to as "semi-jacketed" much.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-14-2012 at 16:47..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 18:40   #4
fredj338

FMJHP is kind of an oximoron. The open tipped match type bullet can expand but can also pencil thru or fragment. Why they are not the best choice to hunt with in most calibers. A true JHP rifle bullet can certainly expand properly if designed to do so.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 19:55   #5
SCmasterblaster

Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Rifle JHPs don't expand like pistol rounds do, they fragment. All the hollow point does is (supposedly?) aid accuracy and tendency to yaw (which causes fragmentation).

Jacketed Soft Points (JSPs) expand though. I don't hear them referred to as "semi-jacketed" much.
how very interesting . . . . .
Old 11-14-2012, 22:33   #6
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
FMJHP is kind of an oximoron. The open tipped match type bullet can expand but can also pencil thru or fragment. Why they are not the best choice to hunt with in most calibers. A true JHP rifle bullet can certainly expand properly if designed to do so.

Hey my friend ! Hope all is well !

Your post here ?......

Stat safe amigo !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 16:11   #7
SCmasterblaster

Question

Do ammo makers offer .308Win with hollow point bullets?
Old 11-15-2012, 22:53   #8
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Do ammo makers offer .308Win with hollow point bullets?
Yes
Federal match ammo comes to mind.
Old 11-16-2012, 13:56   #9
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Yes
Federal match ammo comes to mind.
Thanx!
Old 11-16-2012, 17:27   #10
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

The .308 bullet (7.62x51) is one of the few calibers the military openly issued hollow points to.
Old 11-16-2012, 19:09   #11
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

The thin drawn jacket on most open tip match (hollow point bullets) lends itself to fragmentation. While I think they work better on soft targets than fmj, they are designed for flight and flight alone. They just have to punch a hole in paper or make steel ring. The hollow cavity in the tip is to move the center of gravity back on the bullet and help stabilization in flight. If you want expansion, get a hunting bullet. Soft point, partition / A-frame, or something bonded like the accubond or deep curl.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 19:35   #12
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
The thin drawn jacket on most open tip match (hollow point bullets) lends itself to fragmentation. While I think they work better on soft targets than fmj, they are designed for flight and flight alone. They just have to punch a hole in paper or make steel ring. The hollow cavity in the tip is to move the center of gravity back on the bullet and help stabilization in flight. If you want expansion, get a hunting bullet. Soft point, partition / A-frame, or something bonded like the accubond or deep curl.
This is true. The bullet yaws and fragments much like the M193 style bullets of the 5.56mm (which is actually true for any pointed bullet with somewhat fragile construction).

They are much more effective than FMJ bullets against unarmored targets.
Old 11-16-2012, 20:42   #13
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock19Fan View Post
This is true. The bullet yaws and fragments much like the M193 style bullets of the 5.56mm (which is actually true for any pointed bullet with somewhat fragile construction).

They are much more effective than FMJ bullets against unarmored targets.
I agree, brother! Good description.
Old 11-17-2012, 18:50   #14
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post

According to my old Hornady manual, the BTHP match bullets, Hornady's anyway. are made that way for two reasons. The HP makes the bullet longer for a given weight which increases the bearing surface. Also, the HP allows the base to be closed which means it's more uniform. A uniform base is critical to accuracy.

As for expansion, the match type bullets, according to Hornady, are not to be used for game as there performance can't be predicted. The Sierra BTHP match bullets apparently are destructive and are used by the military for this purpose with a nod and a wink in addition to their accuracy.

There are HP varmint bullets. They are designed to basically disintegrate on impact to minimize downrange hazards. Some of them are so fragile that they will fly apart in flight if they are shot too fast through a too high rate of twist barrel.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 18:53   #15
WiskyT
Malcontent

Also, there are/were some combloc steel jacketed HP rounds sold cheap at one time. They looked like they would be good expanders, but apparently some of them acted just like ball ammo.

Overall, you need to see what a specific bullet was designed for. The bullet/ammo companies make the bullets/ammo for specific purposes.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:26   #16
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
According to my old Hornady manual, the BTHP match bullets, Hornady's anyway. are made that way for two reasons. The HP makes the bullet longer for a given weight which increases the bearing surface. Also, the HP allows the base to be closed which means it's more uniform. A uniform base is critical to accuracy.

As for expansion, the match type bullets, according to Hornady, are not to be used for game as there performance can't be predicted. The Sierra BTHP match bullets apparently are destructive and are used by the military for this purpose with a nod and a wink in addition to their accuracy.

There are HP varmint bullets. They are designed to basically disintegrate on impact to minimize downrange hazards. Some of them are so fragile that they will fly apart in flight if they are shot too fast through a too high rate of twist barrel.
I had forgotten all about that - the fact that HP or SP bullet have enclosed bases.