GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 13:46   #1
Sgt.K
They Just Work!
 
Sgt.K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 617
Do FMJHP's expand?

Just wondering if .223/5.56 full metal jacket hollow points in either 55 or 62 grain actually expand as, I imagine, a semi jacketed would?
Sgt.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 14:08   #2
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
The .223 HPs

have a sizable cavity. And at the high speeds they operate, bullet expansion is very likely.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 15:52   #3
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 15,288
Rifle JHPs don't expand like pistol rounds do, they fragment. All the hollow point does is (supposedly?) aid accuracy and tendency to yaw (which causes fragmentation).

Jacketed Soft Points (JSPs) expand though. I don't hear them referred to as "semi-jacketed" much.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-14-2012 at 16:47..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 18:40   #4
fredj338
Senior Member
 
fredj338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so.cal.
Posts: 21,891
Blog Entries: 3
FMJHP is kind of an oximoron. The open tipped match type bullet can expand but can also pencil thru or fragment. Why they are not the best choice to hunt with in most calibers. A true JHP rifle bullet can certainly expand properly if designed to do so.
__________________
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 19:55   #5
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Rifle JHPs don't expand like pistol rounds do, they fragment. All the hollow point does is (supposedly?) aid accuracy and tendency to yaw (which causes fragmentation).

Jacketed Soft Points (JSPs) expand though. I don't hear them referred to as "semi-jacketed" much.
how very interesting . . . . .
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 22:33   #6
CanyonMan
In The Saddle
 
CanyonMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
FMJHP is kind of an oximoron. The open tipped match type bullet can expand but can also pencil thru or fragment. Why they are not the best choice to hunt with in most calibers. A true JHP rifle bullet can certainly expand properly if designed to do so.

Hey my friend ! Hope all is well !

Your post here ?......



Stat safe amigo !






CanyonMan
__________________
You boy's saddled this bronc, now let's see if you can ride it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 16:11   #7
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Question

Do ammo makers offer .308Win with hollow point bullets?
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 22:53   #8
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Do ammo makers offer .308Win with hollow point bullets?
Yes
Federal match ammo comes to mind.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 13:56   #9
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Yes
Federal match ammo comes to mind.
Thanx!
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 17:27   #10
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy
 
Glock19Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,165
The .308 bullet (7.62x51) is one of the few calibers the military openly issued hollow points to.
__________________
Never mistake Kindness for Weakness
Glock19Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 19:09   #11
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa
 
Zombie Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Old Colorado City
Posts: 19,935
The thin drawn jacket on most open tip match (hollow point bullets) lends itself to fragmentation. While I think they work better on soft targets than fmj, they are designed for flight and flight alone. They just have to punch a hole in paper or make steel ring. The hollow cavity in the tip is to move the center of gravity back on the bullet and help stabilization in flight. If you want expansion, get a hunting bullet. Soft point, partition / A-frame, or something bonded like the accubond or deep curl.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 19:35   #12
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy
 
Glock19Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
The thin drawn jacket on most open tip match (hollow point bullets) lends itself to fragmentation. While I think they work better on soft targets than fmj, they are designed for flight and flight alone. They just have to punch a hole in paper or make steel ring. The hollow cavity in the tip is to move the center of gravity back on the bullet and help stabilization in flight. If you want expansion, get a hunting bullet. Soft point, partition / A-frame, or something bonded like the accubond or deep curl.
This is true. The bullet yaws and fragments much like the M193 style bullets of the 5.56mm (which is actually true for any pointed bullet with somewhat fragile construction).

They are much more effective than FMJ bullets against unarmored targets.
__________________
Never mistake Kindness for Weakness
Glock19Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 20:42   #13
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock19Fan View Post
This is true. The bullet yaws and fragments much like the M193 style bullets of the 5.56mm (which is actually true for any pointed bullet with somewhat fragile construction).

They are much more effective than FMJ bullets against unarmored targets.
I agree, brother! Good description.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 18:50   #14
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
The thin drawn jacket on most open tip match (hollow point bullets) lends itself to fragmentation. While I think they work better on soft targets than fmj, they are designed for flight and flight alone. They just have to punch a hole in paper or make steel ring. The hollow cavity in the tip is to move the center of gravity back on the bullet and help stabilization in flight. If you want expansion, get a hunting bullet. Soft point, partition / A-frame, or something bonded like the accubond or deep curl.

According to my old Hornady manual, the BTHP match bullets, Hornady's anyway. are made that way for two reasons. The HP makes the bullet longer for a given weight which increases the bearing surface. Also, the HP allows the base to be closed which means it's more uniform. A uniform base is critical to accuracy.

As for expansion, the match type bullets, according to Hornady, are not to be used for game as there performance can't be predicted. The Sierra BTHP match bullets apparently are destructive and are used by the military for this purpose with a nod and a wink in addition to their accuracy.

There are HP varmint bullets. They are designed to basically disintegrate on impact to minimize downrange hazards. Some of them are so fragile that they will fly apart in flight if they are shot too fast through a too high rate of twist barrel.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 18:53   #15
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Also, there are/were some combloc steel jacketed HP rounds sold cheap at one time. They looked like they would be good expanders, but apparently some of them acted just like ball ammo.

Overall, you need to see what a specific bullet was designed for. The bullet/ammo companies make the bullets/ammo for specific purposes.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:26   #16
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
According to my old Hornady manual, the BTHP match bullets, Hornady's anyway. are made that way for two reasons. The HP makes the bullet longer for a given weight which increases the bearing surface. Also, the HP allows the base to be closed which means it's more uniform. A uniform base is critical to accuracy.

As for expansion, the match type bullets, according to Hornady, are not to be used for game as there performance can't be predicted. The Sierra BTHP match bullets apparently are destructive and are used by the military for this purpose with a nod and a wink in addition to their accuracy.

There are HP varmint bullets. They are designed to basically disintegrate on impact to minimize downrange hazards. Some of them are so fragile that they will fly apart in flight if they are shot too fast through a too high rate of twist barrel.
I had forgotten all about that - the fact that HP or SP bullet have enclosed bases.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:38.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 775
185 Members
590 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31