Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:44   #1
ronduke

"I confronted evil in the parking lot. And evil was not gonna leave there."

Wisconsin officers narrate Sikh temple shooting (with dash cam video)

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_16...flexGridModule
ronduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39   #2
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Two guys with a lot of heart.

God bless them both.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:26   #3
scottydl

Amazing! The Lt.'s more extended interview was posted here recently too. Should be required watching for all officers, on the importance of "will to live" in these situations.

EDIT: here's the other interview... http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450185

Last edited by scottydl; 11-14-2012 at 08:30..
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:46   #4
x_out86

Great story that needs to be told.

Best wishes in recovery to Lt. Murphy.
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.
x_out86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:06   #5
yamen1999

I am not LE and I am just learning tactics with firearms. I watched both videos of the shooting at the temple and the bravery displayed is awsome.

My question here is why didn't the first officer use his car and get closer to the shooter and use his car as cover?
yamen1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:21   #6
golls17
Lifetime Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamen1999 View Post
I am not LE and I am just learning tactics with firearms. I watched both videos of the shooting at the temple and the bravery displayed is awsome.

My question here is why didn't the first officer use his car and get closer to the shooter and use his car as cover?
Cover or not, distance is your friend. Sure, you may be less likely to hit your target at that distance, but you're also less likely to get hit. Plus, the second officer was using a rifle as opposed to the shooter using a hand gun, giving him even more advantage over distance.

Plus there's often a misconception that cars are good cover. There are very few parts of the car I'd trust to stop a round. I cringe when I see cops crouched behind door with their head popped out over the top of it in the "V" between the door frame and the car frame (is that the pillar) and basically have their gun resting on the mirror and their entire torso is exposed by the window. Is a car door better than nothing? Absolutely, and sometimes that's all there is. But if using the car and given the half second extra, get it at an angle and get down behind the engine block, and hope the other guy doesn't know about ricochet...

When used properly, yes a car can be good cover. But remember that does not include the windows.

Just my 2 cents.
Remember every day that you don't train or workout, a bad guy does.
Formerly gollbladder13

Last edited by golls17; 11-14-2012 at 10:26..
golls17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:10   #7
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
"My thought was, 'If I can't shoot him, I'm gonna run him over, but he's not leaving this parking lot and he's not getting back inside the church," Lenda said.

"He was on a mission. I say, I confronted evil in the parking lot. And evil was not gonna leave there."
That's someone that was prepared to win at all cost.

Well done Officer Lenda, and get well soon Lt. Murphy.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:45   #8
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamen1999 View Post
Having seen/read most of the press on this shooting... when Lt. Murphy arrived, he noticed two victims down in the parking lot and that was his focus. It wasn't until a few seconds after he stepped out of his car that he encountered the shooter running from the building. i.e. he had no idea where the shooter was and already left the vehicle when the threat arose.

Side note, very few parts of a car offer cover... only concealment (BIG difference) which is worthless when the BG has already seen you. Unlike TV and movies, pistol rounds will go through most parts of a car, and rifle rounds will go through almost EVERYTHING including solid steel wheels. Engine block is perhaps the one exception, and if you huddled behind that then you are not actively fighting (which you should be).

Better cover is something more solid & more narrow (than a car) that you can still "pie out" and shoot around, i.e. large trees, corners of stone buildings, fire hydrants (if prone), etc.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 17:10   #9
Kelo6

Prayers for their recovery, both psychologically and physically.

As already stated, the proper combat mindset is so important, and keeping yourself proficient with your weapons is too.
Kelo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 17:15   #10
BL33D 4 M3
SDMF

Lt. Murphy is squared away. So glad he survived and best wished for a full recovery.
BL33D 4 M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 18:40   #11
flw

These are our hero's.

Thank You

Last edited by flw; 11-14-2012 at 20:09..
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 18:52   #12
FLglockdude

This video is absolutely why every police officer should be able to arm themselves with a rifle.
FLglockdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 19:11   #13
Agent6-3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLglockdude View Post
This video is absolutely why every police officer should be able to arm themselves with a rifle.
+1

While I'm also a fan of the trusty old shotgun, the added rate of fire and precision of a rifle makes it a very valuable tool.

Prayers for both of these men!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by Agent6-3/8; 11-14-2012 at 19:11..
Agent6-3/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 20:06   #14
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
Amazing! The Lt.'s more extended interview was posted here recently too. Should be required watching for all officers, on the importance of "will to live" in these situations.

EDIT: here's the other interview... http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450185
I played that for my shift after I finished roll call the other day. It was the first time I've seen everyone shut up.

Two badasses, right there.

Old 11-14-2012, 21:00   #15
windpoint

I live 10 miles south of Oak Creek. It's usually a very quiet area. Not an urban dirtball city. On a Sunday morning, no one would expect this, but we have had a number of high shooting incidents in Southeast Wisconsin. To be caught by surprise they did such a great job. We are all very proud of them.
windpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 22:17   #16
OFCJIM40
Happy Jaeger

Yup, I saw this on the ABC Nightly News the other day and they are both certified badasses. Both with the warrior mentality. I liked Lenda a lot. Had a very old school air to him, mustache and all, but he brought the business hard. I like a salty veteran that's ready to take care of business.
Old 11-15-2012, 20:02   #17
blastfact

These story's and video needs to be shared with the public more. And I'm very glad to hear that the responding backup was ready to use his squad as a weapon. Never forget your wheels are a awesome weapon.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote