SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:30   #26
Elysianarcane

Send a message via Skype™ to Elysianarcane
9mm for flexibility.

.45 is the undisputed king of manstoppers.
5.45X39 > 5.56X45.
I CC a 92FS with 124gr Double-Tap +P's JHP's.
Elysianarcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:15   #27
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
The 10mm may have more penetration but it's just long and skinny.

The .45 is short and fat. Just the way it ought to be!

The 10mm may go in deeper but you'll really feel that short fat .45 they day after!

You really went there...

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:27   #28
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Double

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic

Last edited by uz2bUSMC; 11-13-2012 at 05:28..
Old 11-13-2012, 05:30   #29
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Believe it or not I recall at least one GT thread where one or two Facklerites did devalue the legendary .357 Magnum's reputation. I remember it very well because I located a graphic of the "perfect wound profile" created by Fackler himself that still failed to sway the GT members who refused to give the Magnum its proper credit.
Shawn Dodson probably the culprit.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:59   #30
4949shooter

Load selection is more important than caliber selection.

That having been said, there are some calibers that are more forgiving of the lesser load selections. The 10mm and .45 ACP would be in this category.

Shoot what you feel most comfortable with. If you can handle a .40 or .45, then by all means go for it.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:00   #31
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC View Post
You really went there...
Yes, she did..
Old 11-13-2012, 06:20   #32
English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
That about sums up what I've come to think about the debate between various service calibers in pistols. I mean, maybe .40 and .45 are marginally better than 9mm but really, it's not gonna make that big of a differene. If you ever encounter a situation where several center mass hits with quality 9mm ammo can't take care of it, you need to either 1) consider retreating or 2.) get to a long gun if that isn't an option. If you really think about it, if it's not dying after beiing hit with a 9mm, that little bit of extra power a .40 or .45 offers probably won't make a difference.

What do you guys think?
What do I think? I think you are falling into a logical error in which time is negleted.

If you need to shoot someone who is shooting at you, you ned to stop them shooting at you as quickly as possible to reduce their chance of killing you. Whether a 9mm will kill them or not if they stand still while you shoot enough rounds at them is irrelevant. All that matters is how long it is before they stop shooting.

All the rounds which are more powerful than the 9mm have more bullet momentum and so pistols shooting those rounds take a little longer to get back to aim. But the first shot takes just the same time for a .40 as for a 9mm and just a little longer for a .45 or 10mm because the pistol has more mass. So, you need to maximise the effect of the first shot and maximise the effect of the number fired per time to fire them.

In other words, if it takes fewer shots of .40, 357SIG, .45 or 10mm on average to stop the fight than a 9mm, can you fire those shots in more or less time than the number needed for the 9mm. As far as I am concerned the split time difference is very small and I think the extra effect of the better than 9mms save you time to the stop. Your opinion and time difference might be different but that does not mean the 9mm is always as good as the more than 9mms.

Incidentally, getting shot with almost anything is likely to hinder the process of making an aimed shot, so the first hit is very important because it buys you some time before your opponent's next shot. Because of this, although the 10mm almost certainly has a greater effect per shot than the 357SIG, the 357SIG might be a better choice because the lighter weight of the pistol lets you get that first shot just a tiny part of a second sooner. This argument does not apply between the 9mm and the 357SIG, in Glocks at least, because they are the same weight.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51   #33
clarkz71

The LE guys seem to like the .40

If the 9mm was just as good they all would
carry it and save on ammo.

FBI issues the G23

Secret service the 357 sig
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:10   #34
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockworks View Post
If you think 9mm is a whoose round (it did in Trevon didn't it?), then stand still and let me shoot you in a non-lethal area and see what you think then.
I'll tell you what I'm going to do. We will discuss between the two of us, and decide, where that "non-lethal" shot will be taken. I'll shoot first, because it was your idea, and, shoot you with my G20, in the spot we decided as "non-lethal". Then you go second! Thought so! Off the top of my head, a hand shot may be the only option for surviving the first shot, but guessing, you will probably lose that hand! So for Gods sake, don't pick your shooting hand.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:13   #35
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post

FBI issues the G23

Don't forget those special forces heroes! Which firearm company, just won a large contract, and, what caliber was it in?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:37   #36
Andy W

Quote:

FBI issues the G23

The .40 round is so prevalent in LE because it is a compromise round. As with any organization, the leadership like to make compromise decisions because it makes them look good.

My guess is most cops who are gun savvy would choose to carry a 9mm or .45 if given the choice.
Andy W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:37   #37
ditto1958

I think this is my favorite non-political subject to debate.

I think the most important thing is whether you can consistenty hit what you are shooting at. If I can't hit the broad side of a barn with 17 rounds of 9mm, but I can get five hits out of a 10 rd magazine of 22lr I'm way better off with the 22. Likewise, a shooter who is good enough with his 1911 to get 3 or 4 shots into the chests of two attackers from one mag? He should definitely carry his .45.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 13:07   #38
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
That about sums up what I've come to think about the debate between various service calibers in pistols. I mean, maybe .40 and .45 are marginally better than 9mm but really, it's not gonna make that big of a differene. If you ever encounter a situation where several center mass hits with quality 9mm ammo can't take care of it, you need to either 1) consider retreating or 2.) get to a long gun if that isn't an option. If you really think about it, if it's not dying after beiing hit with a 9mm, that little bit of extra power a .40 or .45 offers probably won't make a difference.

What do you guys think?
The question HAS NEVER BEEN whether a 9mm kills better than any other caliber but does it stop better? With good JHP, a 9mm gets off it's knees & becomes as good a stopper as any other service pistol. That IMO, others have theirs. There is a reason the 9mm took so long to become a viable LE caliber, you have to have good JHP. I would rather carry a good 9mm JHP than ball in 45acp. Given good JHP in any caliber, bigger is slightly better & slightly may be all that you get in a gunfight.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 11-13-2012 at 13:08..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 18:15   #39
bunk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurairabbi View Post
For (1) concealed carry (2) in public (3) by a civilian (4) in the US, the rifle is simply inapplicable. The rifle's superiority against an opponent becomes irrelevant if the situation precludes your possessing it at that moment.
This

bunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 18:21   #40
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk22 View Post
This
He's right. Fight your way back to your rifle is BS in my opinion.

Old 11-13-2012, 18:41   #41
K.Kiser

They're all pretty anemic in the grand scheme of things, and is there any adult's that can't "handle" a 10mm..? I do believe it to be a fine cartridge that surpasses the other big 3, It's really not that much gun outside of an argument...
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 20:55   #42
Andy W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysianarcane View Post
9mm for flexibility.

I do love the .45 ACP round.

However, the real undisputed king of manstoppers at close range is 12 guage 00 buckshot. Well, I guess there is also the Barrett but if you're engaging a threat with one of those, especially at the ranges they are intended for, you're gonna have some 'splainin' to do

Last edited by Andy W; 11-13-2012 at 21:01..
Andy W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 22:21   #43
FishyOne

It's hard to beat a .45 +P loaded with 230gr HP pill at 950fps.
FishyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 22:53   #44
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyOne View Post
It's hard to beat a .45 Colt loaded with 250gr HP pill at 1,200fps.

Fixed. Welcome to Glocktalk.

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 23:47   #45
countrygun

Quote:

FBI issues the G23

Most LE carry what hey're issued. The guys who make the and not gunfighters decisions are generally bean counters (and very few LE are gunfighters ither) the .40 is helped along GREATLY because of it's tie to the FBI and the fact that Glock all but throws G-22s at LEAs helping the bean counters balance the budget.

Not knocking the .40 (I am wearing a CZ P-06 right now) but stop and look at the numbers. IF the .40 was "so good" because the bullet is bigger in diameter and usually a little heavier, than the 9mm despite the lower velocity then the .45 acp has to be much better than the .40 by the same yardstick.

A lot of things go into the choices that lead to what an LEO is issued. Few of them should impress a civillian.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:47   #46
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC View Post
You really went there...
Yep!

Trust me on this one!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:58   #47
Glockworks
Ready/Aim/Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
I'll tell you what I'm going to do. We will discuss between the two of us, and decide, where that "non-lethal" shot will be taken. I'll shoot first, because it was your idea, and, shoot you with my G20, in the spot we decided as "non-lethal". Then you go second! Thought so! Off the top of my head, a hand shot may be the only option for surviving the first shot, but guessing, you will probably lose that hand! So for Gods sake, don't pick your shooting hand.
Maybe I wasn't clear, I don't want to get shot at by even a .22LR, I am a whoose when it comes to such things.
Glockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:14   #48
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
9mm for flexibility.

Agree.

Quote:
One of the best in a handgun but certainly not the king, even in a handgun. Maybe when comparing the 9mm, .40S&W and .45 ACP it could be considered the best of the three.

I still say the .357 Mag with a 4" barrel loaded with a 125 grain JHP loaded to 1,450 fps has a good bit of a edge over the .45 ACP and just about everything else in the handgun world that you are likely to tote with you on a daily basis.

(That ought to piss some people off! )
Old 11-14-2012, 04:35   #49
Electrikkoolaid
Grape flavored!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
I still say the .357 Mag with a barrel loaded with a 125 grain JHP loaded to 1,450 fps has a good bit of a edge over the .45 ACP and just about everything else in the handgun world that you are likely to tote with you on a daily basis.
Set that off inside your house some night, and I hope you actually get that "one shot stop", because you'll be blind and deaf for several minutes afterwards.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:05   #50
SCmasterblaster

I carry a G17 that launches 115gr JHPs at 1400 FPS. And it is true, if I can't resolve a gun battle with 34 of these rounds, then I'll get my Mossberg M500 12ga and use OOO buck, which is like shooting 8 nine-millimeter slugs at once at 1350 FPS.