Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-13-2012, 14:39   #161
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
Any Aussies on here? They could tell you how the government did it when they confiscated all the guns in Oz.
Well firstly, the Aussies do not have a 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Secondly, there were not 600 million firearms down under. There are probably more firearms in one large US City than there ever was on the whole Continent down under.

Last edited by FireForged; 11-13-2012 at 14:41..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 15:12   #162
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
Well firstly, the Aussies do not have a 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Secondly, there were not 600 million firearms down under. There are probably more firearms in one large US City than there ever was on the whole Continent down under.
Where did you get that number?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 16:01   #163
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Not. Going. To. Happen. In. The. USA. EVER.

'nuff said.
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 16:04   #164
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

My guns are wrapped in the Constitutiuon. 'Nuff said.
Old 11-13-2012, 16:08   #165
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Would the militia all live together or would you go back to the family homestead at night? Do you leave the guns at the militia office or do they go home with you at night? How does the militia communicate - email? Is that monitored?
In the 1770s, it was mostly BYOG (bring your own gun). They didn't have email or even phones. Yet, somehow they managed to defeat the most powerful military force on the planet (England). And, they did it with small arms.

'nuff said.
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 16:15   #166
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
Not. Going. To. Happen. In. The. USA. EVER.

'nuff said.
Really?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 11-13-2012 at 16:16..
Old 11-13-2012, 16:16   #167
Bruce M

But what happens if not everyone sees things from the view of the militia? Because it is no longer the colonial era it might be a bit quicker for the government side to muster up some reinforcements, you know, since they don't have to get a letter on a sailing ship to Great Britian.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 16:20   #168
BBMW

I haven't read back through the entire thread, but before the paranoia gets too out of hand (okay, well, maybe it's too late for that), does anyone want to explain how, at least for the next two years, they'd get this thing through the House? Feinstein can do whatever the hell she wants, but it isn't becoming law.
BBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 16:24   #169
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Really?

on Katrina:

This act was not enacted by the Federal Gov.. It was a mis-step taken in one city by local LEO's. This act was condemed most Many STates have taken steps to enact laws to prohibit it happening in the future. Katrina confiscated firearms have been returned and its simply not in the same Universe as a Nation Wide gun confiscation.
Old 11-13-2012, 16:25   #170
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I haven't read back through the entire thread, but before the paranoia gets too out of hand (okay, well, maybe it's too late for that), does anyone want to explain how, at least for the next two years, they'd get this thing through the House? Feinstein can do whatever the hell she wants, but it isn't becoming law.
The standard responses are:

1. Executive order.

2. It will happen in 2 years when the Democrats control the house.

3. A SCOTUS Justice will be a appointed that tips the balance to the liberal side and some case will come before them where it somehow results in a huge anti gun and anti 2A ruling.

None of the responses seem very good, if you ask me, for a variety of reasons.

Old 11-13-2012, 16:26   #171
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
But what happens if not everyone sees things from the view of the militia? Because it is no longer the colonial era it might be a bit quicker for the government side to muster up some reinforcements, you know, since they don't have to get a letter on a sailing ship to Great Britian.
If you've read your history, you'd know that not everyone was onboard with the militia back then, either. There were plenty of British sympathizers.

There is no government force that could defeat the mulit-millions of armed citizens. And, it will take ANY government, even today, MUCH longer to muster up a (larger) standing army. Look at how long it takes our modern government to do ANYTHING. It takes the citizens NO TIME by comparison.

History is on our side... in a BIG way. We've done it before. We could do it again, and even better than before. We are far better equipped than they were then. When you consider the dearth of resources back then, the accomplishments of the Patriots are truly stunning.
Old 11-13-2012, 16:29   #172
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
on Katrina:

This act was not enacted by the Federal Gov.. It was a mis-step taken in one city by local LEO's. This act was condemed most Many STates have taken steps to enact laws to prohibit it happening in the future. Katrina confiscated firearms have been returned and its simply not in the same Universe as a Nation Wide gun confiscation.
Ummm.... on what authority can you declare that the confiscated firearms were returned??? To my knowledge that is simply NOT true. NONE of the confiscated firearms were recorded. No receipts were given to the victims of this 4A infringement. No cataloging was done. Heirloom guns were taken.... again... no receipts or records. Most were thrown in damp storage only to rust. Few to none were returned, and certainly not in the condition in which they were taken.
Old 11-13-2012, 16:32   #173
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
The standard responses are:

1. Executive order. (There are limits to executive orders, ask Bill Clinton)

2. It will happen in 2 years when the Democrats control the house. (There is no model that shows this to even be likely)

3. A SCOTUS Justice will be a appointed that tips the balance to the liberal side and some case will come before them where it somehow results in a huge anti gun and anti 2A ruling. (There are only 2 Justices that could possibly step down within the next 4 years and both are in very good health)

None of the responses seem very good, if you ask me, for a variety of reasons.
Possible but not likely.

Last edited by FireForged; 11-13-2012 at 16:34..
Old 11-13-2012, 16:42   #174
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
Ummm.... on what authority can you declare that the confiscated firearms were returned??? To my knowledge that is simply NOT true. NONE of the confiscated firearms were recorded. No receipts were given to the victims of this 4A infringement. No cataloging was done. Heirloom guns were taken.... again... no receipts or records. Most were thrown in damp storage only to rust. Few to none were returned, and certainly not in the condition in which they were taken.
On what authority? I am just a guy on the internet talking with fellow gun owners about common everyday things that we all encounter and experience. I read that there was one person left from the katrina event who was still in court over a firearm and that the matter was settled. My comment was simply my impression from news that I followed for a time. I am not making any authoritive proclamation and I have no proof. This is all just friendly fruitful debate between fellow gun owners. At least that is how I intended my comments to be taken.

Last edited by FireForged; 11-13-2012 at 16:50..
Old 11-13-2012, 16:59   #175
Bruce M

I guess some people think the resistance militia will be huge; others, perhaps not quite as convinced.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 17:26   #176
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Where did you get that number?
Its the typical concensus as of the late 90's. and no, I cant prove it.
Old 11-13-2012, 17:28   #177
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
Hey Jason, I don't think you understand. We aren't going to prison!
You really only have three options...

Capitulate.
Butt molestation.
Going down swinging.

Going down swinging would be my best option.

Quote:
Out of curiosity for those that would fight, are there any circumstances in which you might not fight when they come for your guns? Suppose you glanced out the front and back doors and there were say a couple dozen or more heavily armed and armored tactical types - the odds were overwhelmingly against you. What if instead of at home, they came for you at work, or at the grocery store?

If you are surrounded. It's time for the blaze of glory.

As for the second or third. I am never without a firearm for defense. Wife, children, any other innocence would be free to leave if they didn't burn us alive first.

Again though.

I hope to God I am not forced hurt anyone. It is not my intention to foment insurrection or the killing of anyone.
I will not however give up my legally purchased property without a fight.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 18:45   #178
Andy123

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19freak View Post
Turn what in?
Weren't we in the canoe together when it turned over in that deep lake, what was the name of that lake again, I can never remember . . .

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn are put in the same box."

"The camel dances, and having danced, moves on."
Andy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 20:07   #179
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
On what authority? I am just a guy on the internet talking with fellow gun owners about common everyday things that we all encounter and experience. I read that there was one person left from the katrina event who was still in court over a firearm and that the matter was settled. My comment was simply my impression from news that I followed for a time. I am not making any authoritive proclamation and I have no proof. This is all just friendly fruitful debate between fellow gun owners. At least that is how I intended my comments to be taken.
Hmmmm... From what I've read (admittedly some time ago), it was "impossible" to return the guns, because they had no records of the owners. The confiscations were by force and no receipts were given. I also read articles (with photos) of rusted piles of guns that had been confiscated.

Just ran a search. Nothing of recent vintage. But, in this article, very few had been returned. And, getting your gun back required you to PROVE that it's yours with a receipt that includes the serial number. How many people have those receipts? Of those that DID have receipts, how many were lost in the storm damage?

So, the police did NOT give receipts, nor did they do any sort of record keeping about the owners.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,192347,00.html
Old 11-13-2012, 20:35   #180
Hawaiiglock

I highly doubt that we would ever see a national door to door round up of firearms. If we did then I'm sure that some people would put up a fight. We would see some instances of gun owners being killed when the collectors (govt) came, but I'm sure we would also see some dead on the govt side when people realized they didn't stand a fair chance against heavily armed forces and started resorting to guerrilla warfare via explosives or ambushes.
Hawaiiglock is offline   Reply With Quote