Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-12-2012, 19:10   #1
plouffedaddy

Oversized 870 Safety Recommendations

I'm looking to put an oversized safety on one of my 870s and I figured I'd poll the masses to see what your experiences have been. I'd like it to be durable, functional, and not break the bank.

Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 19:14   #2
Buffering
The Cooler

I had the Vang. Nice but too domed for me. It was like a fulcrum for my finger and I never quite got used to it.

Went to the S&J. This is love like a fat kid finding cupcakes. My finger slides over it as I reach into the trigger and once disengaged, my finger doesn't touch it. It's about 2/3 as tall as the Vang. This was the winner for me.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 19:23   #3
jb1911

I also went with the S&J. It's like an automatic safety. Put your finger on the trigger and your trigger finger clicks it off without even having to think about it.

Tactical Shotguns

Black Rifle Club Member "LE6920Colt"

Last edited by jb1911; 11-12-2012 at 19:24..
jb1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 19:27   #4
4Rules

I've used the Vang Comp and the Scattergun Technologies. The Vang Comp can't be missed, your trigger finger disengages it, but - on the other hand - it could be bumped OFF by accident. The Scattergun Technologies requires a more deliberate push by the tip of the triggerfinger to disengage, but then there is the possibility of your accidentally forgetting it in the ON position.

YMMV
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 19:52   #5
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

I am a huge Vang fan. His domed safety was the first and is still the best for me.

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 21:15   #6
Mochahooligan

Hey JB you have any trouble installing the safety from S&J?
Old 11-12-2012, 22:13   #7
aippi

Wilson Combat is the best I have used. It works the same as a Speed Safety as you disengage it with the second joint of you trigger finger as you go to the trigger. Just as fast as any other out there. It is also the only over size safety that works with the SpecOps stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:56   #8
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Wilson Combat is the best I have used. It works the same as a Speed Safety as you disengage it with the second joint of you trigger finger as you go to the trigger. Just as fast as any other out there. It is also the only over size safety that works with the SpecOps stock.
Thanks J.D.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 18:21   #9
jb1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochahooligan View Post
Hey JB you have any trouble installing the safety from S&J?
None at all. It took about 5 minutes.

Black Rifle Club Member "LE6920Colt"
jb1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 19:15   #10
aippi

The video would be better if that idiot did not have his hands in the way. He is a very handsome guy but not real bright.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 11-13-2012, 20:07   #11
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

So we won't do trigger jobs or use handloads due to "liability" put we will put oversized safeties on tactical shotguns that are "automatic" or "like it's not even there".

Not trying to rain on the parade, but I have investigated 3 fatal shootings with shotguns where the crossbolt safety in the trigger guard was accidentally pushed off just before the trigger was pressed. Sure, the laws of gun safety were violated, but a safety is still there for a reason. If no-one ever broke any of the laws of gun safety, we would not even need safeties on our guns. Two of them had oversized safeties.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 20:13   #12
aippi

Your not raining on anyones parade in my opinion as yours is not a good example of anything. The deaths were caused by someone pointing a loaded weapon and pulling the trigger, not the type of safety on the weapon. Also, no matter what safety is on my weapon, I control it. I see nothing valid in your point what-so-ever.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer

Last edited by aippi; 11-13-2012 at 20:15..
Old 11-13-2012, 20:27   #13
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Sure J.D., you are probably safe with no safety, but the average person is not. Any mod must have a risk/benefit analysis, so pointing out something that is obvious to you and I may be something the average person has not considered.

In one case, the person fell, and grabbed the gun as it was headed into the mud, the gun went off and he killed his brother who was in front of him. Prior to the fall, the safety was on and the gun was pointed in a safe direction.
www.CarbonArms.us
Old 11-13-2012, 21:04   #14
Buffering
The Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
So we won't do trigger jobs or use handloads due to "liability" put we will put oversized safeties on tactical shotguns that are "automatic" or "like it's not even there".

Not trying to rain on the parade, but I have investigated 3 fatal shootings with shotguns where the crossbolt safety in the trigger guard was accidentally pushed off just before the trigger was pressed. Sure, the laws of gun safety were violated, but a safety is still there for a reason. If no-one ever broke any of the laws of gun safety, we would not even need safeties on our guns. Two of them had oversized safeties.
Interesting observation but I'd to follow that up with a question, namely, did the investigation reports conclude that the guns would not have discharged if they'd retained their stock safeties? You referenced one incident where the stock safety was in use suggesting, to me, that the safety was not at issue. What were the make and model of the shotguns in those incidents?
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus
Old 11-13-2012, 21:24   #15
aippi

I see your point more clearly now that you have explained some.

I don't use nor like the dome safety and I would bet those were involved. The Wilson on the other hand is flat and just slightly bigger then the Remington OEM. You have to train to disengage it with the second joint of the trigger finger. I have them on every Remington shotgun I own and it comes as natural as scratching my butt to me. Others new to this safety would have to train at it but once they are there they would find it just as fast as any of the over-size ones out there. And a lot safer based on the points you made.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
Old 11-14-2012, 08:10   #16
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffering View Post
Interesting observation but I'd to follow that up with a question, namely, did the investigation reports conclude that the guns would not have discharged if they'd retained their stock safeties? You referenced one incident where the stock safety was in use suggesting, to me, that the safety was not at issue. What were the make and model of the shotguns in those incidents?
I was the investigator. The inspection and analysis was performed, in all cases, with LE/Insurance/Manufacturer's reps present. AFAIK, all parties agreed with my conclusions in these three cases.

In the one with the stock safety, yes, it was an issue. In one of the other ones, I concluded that the stock safety still would have come off, in the other one, no.

I won't list the makes and models. However, J.D.'s assumption as to the style is accurate.
www.CarbonArms.us
Old 11-14-2012, 09:46   #17
Buffering
The Cooler

Thanks for your reply. In the one case that you determined that the stock safety would not have come off, can you share the facts of that case, in general terms? If you are unable or uncomfortable because of pending litigation or other matters, I understand.

Since the force to disengage the safety is the same regardless if stock or not, I'm curious how the shooter managed to discharge the firearm. Was that the instance where the gun was falling into the mud? Drugs or alcohol involved? Parties clowning around and someone saw the gun was falling?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:16   #18
4Rules

The Vang Comp safety was too easy to disengage for me to be comfortable with it. The Scattergun Technologies strikes a much better balance of ease of use and positive function, in my opinion.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:32   #19
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

In the case where the stock safety would not have been disengaged, we spent a lot of time on it. I had strain guages mounted on the safety buttons, triggers and trigger guards. Basically, due to the dimensions of the users hand (fat stubby fingers), he could not disengage the safety and fire the tirgger with ONE hand position. It had to be shifted.

In none of the cases was horseplay, drugs or alcohol indicated.
www.CarbonArms.us
Old 11-14-2012, 12:33   #20
scccdoc

I've shot Remingtons for 45 years. I think the safety is just fine. Why would I (or anyone else ) want to "train" themselves for a new safety OR use a less "safe" safety. Not trying to be harsh, just don't understand the necessity.............DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote