SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-10-2012, 20:22   #26
gilfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
When I have a little time to burn, I'll do that too.

Cashier: "That'll be $4.37."
Me: "Here's $5.12."
Cashier:{deer in headlight panic}(tries to get rid of me with a dollar bill instead of correct change)
I guess I am one of the dopey ones. But if you handed me $5.12 for a $4.37 bill I would ask you what the hell are you doing.
gilfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 20:26   #27
harlenm

Trying to find help is a joke. Some of the applicants we get are so bad. We've had people that attached multiple pages to the application with their job history because they can't hold a job for more than 3 weeks. Or people that can't spell.

One section of application has an hours available section with the hours that we are open written right above it. Don't say you are available 8-4 when we are open 9:30-5:30. Simple reading skills are a necessity.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 20:33   #28
larry_minn
Silver Membership

I was in a business yesterday. The one guy was doing weights so he asks the other guy. "Find a calculator and add 3100 and 3680" I said "6780" in normal voice. 2nd guy gets calculator, asks for numbers again, (I say "6780") 2nd guy says "he is right? How did you do that, so fast?"
I am trying to find a worker for a friends business. I am almost tempted to do job myself. Thing is he can't pay me what doing that kind of work would cost for me. (I am not young/hungry, agile....anymore)
BUT I could make him $$$ in short time.
larry_minn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 20:46   #29
JohnBT
NRA Patron

" How did you do that, so fast?""

<Cuz I'm almost average and you're dumb>

How? Because it was easier to learn to do simple arithmetic than to always be looking for a calculator. You know what drove me nuts working in an office; people were always looking for scissors or a box cutter instead of just carrying a pocket knife.

We didn't have $10 calculators until after I finished grad school.

John
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 20:58   #30
Scott3670

I got a call from a very polite gentleman who asked if it was OK for him to work at a pistol range despite being an ex-con. I quickly advised him that he couldn't even set foot in a gun store because he would be in violation of Federal law. He said that he didn't want to work in the store, just the range and wanted to be the range officer. I explained to him the rules for both physical and constructive possession of a firearm by a prohibited person. He was sad but said that he underdstood and thanked me for my time.

The sad part is that he was extremely polite on the phone and spoke very well. I felt kind of sad for him, but I had absolutely no choice.

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.
Scott3670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 20:59   #31
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilfo View Post
I guess I am one of the dopey ones. But if you handed me $5.12 for a $4.37 bill I would ask you what the hell are you doing.
I'd rather get back $0.75 change than $0.63, and I'm tired of all these pennies accumulating.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:12   #32
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I'd rather get back $0.75 change than $0.63, and I'm tired of all these pennies accumulating.
I would give you your change

1 quarter
3 dimes
3 nickles
5 pennies

You said you wanted $.75 in change

Last edited by Z71bill; 11-10-2012 at 21:13..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:17   #33
Scott3670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
I would give you your change

1 quarter
3 dimes
3 nickles
5 pennies

You said you wanted $.75 in change

Winner.

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.
Scott3670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:26   #34
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3670 View Post
Winner.
I would even have counted it back -

$4.37

3 pennies - $4.40
3 nickles - $4.55
3 dimes - $4.85
1 quarter - $5.10
2 pennies - $5.12

Thanks for shopping with us!
Old 11-10-2012, 21:37   #35
Averageman

Someone was explaining that when you add up all of the available Benefits it comes out to about making 45K a year.
Now when you can fill out an application screw it up and still get 45K a year and get to sleep until 9am every morning, I have to ask, who is the stupid one?
Averageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:41   #36
srhoades

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post
"I do carpet installation and the first question I ask prospective help is "Can you read a tape measure?""

(The following is not intended to blame the student. The school did it.)

Back in the '80s, I had a high school graduate referred to me for job placement assistance. He'd been trained for two years at the tech center to do siding work, etc.

He could read a tape measure, but nobody would keep him on a job. He measured everything in sixteenths. "That's 53 inches and one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven sixteenths."

He couldn't reduce fractions and couldn't run a saw either.

But the school said he was prepared. (I was a state employee fwiw.)

John
Is eleven sixteenths reducible?
Old 11-10-2012, 21:43   #37
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
Sure, to twenty-two thirty-seconds, duh!

For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:49   #38
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
5 and 1/2 eighths.
Old 11-10-2012, 21:52   #39
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneA View Post
Because these people are not employable.
I have been trying to find a cashier for the last two weeks. A simple job of running a cash register and being nice to customers.

I have been through around 100 applications and have only found 4-5 that even make the cut to get called in for an interview.

Some interesting things on applications though:
Under customer service skills:
"im about good at that"
Under previous employment:
Employer Name:
didn't have one
Address:
Don't know
Phone number:
phone book

And best of all, when filling out an application it is a good idea to put a phone number on it to be contacted at.

Really it should be this hard to find a qualified person to run a cash register. It isn't exactly skilled labor.
I think I found your problem.

Whenever the drive through ****s up my order my wife wonders why they can't get it right. I always reply with what do you expect for minimum wage?
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:53   #40
svtpwnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyFresh View Post
What is the remuneration?
The guys work on a commission scale of 25-40% of the total ticket price. They earn more for evening/after hours work and get added compensation for add on's. They also keep 100% of all tips they make.

Last edited by svtpwnz; 11-10-2012 at 21:55..
svtpwnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:55   #41
Ragnar

Most people think Idiocracy was a movie. Nope, it was a documentary.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:56   #42
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post

Whenever the drive through ****s up my order my wife wonders why they can't get it right. I always reply with what do you expect for minimum wage?
I expect you to work like you don't want to make minimum wage for the rest of your life.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:57   #43
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
I have been trying to find a cashier for the last two weeks. A simple job of running a cash register and being nice to customers.

I have been through around 100 applications and have only found 4-5 that even make the cut to get called in for an interview.

"im about good at that"
Employer Name:
didn't have one
Address:
Don't know
Phone number:
phone book

And best of all, when filling out an application it is a good idea to put a phone number on it to be contacted at.

Really it should be this hard to find a qualified person to run a cash register. It isn't exactly skilled labor.
The minimum wage really needs to go away. Some people need to be paid less.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 22:38   #44
FLGatorFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
I expect you to work like you don't want to make minimum wage for the rest of your life.
Excluding students trying to make a little cash while in school, why would anyone worth a crap want a cashier job?
FLGatorFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:51   #45
LEO/Dad
Navy Veteran

A Return ........that turned into nightmare!

I once returned a pair of reading glasses that broke shortly after I purchased them. When I went in, I still had my receipt, they cost $5.00. I noticed immediately that the same glasses had gone up to $6.97. Whatever, just give me a new pair, the same thing. The clerk absolutely did not know what to do, and there was no one else in the store for her to ask. I told her, they were the same and and even exchange was fine with me. She said, "No, I have to give you cash credit for the pair, that you returned, then I will give you a new pair at n/c". I told her that wasn't right, then she wanted to argue with me that it was. I then offered to pay the difference for the same new glasses. The clerk still refused. There was a lady in line with me, that just smiled and shook her heard. The clerk stood her ground, the line was getting longer, so I took the money and new glasses and left the store. I was half way to my truck in the parking lot, when I stopped and turned around and went back into the store, and just laid the money down on her counter, and left. The clerk, looked at me with a scowl on her face, but didn't say a word. They lady in line, was almost laughing. I really like these (D...........G........) stores though, and shop in them often.
LEO/Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:59   #46
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

what do expect when minimum wage pays the same as unemployment?

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:06   #47
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Well what do you expect when you greedy capitalists won't pay a minimum of $50M/year for customer service work to someone who answers, when asked to pick up a scrap of paper on the floor, "That's not my job"?

Personal attacks of GT members is frowned upon.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:12   #48
Reissman

Quote:

"im about good at that"
Employer Name:
didn't have one
Address:
Don't know
Phone number:
phone book

I was at a sports store yesterday and my bill was $170. I had $140 cash and wanted to put the rest on my debit card. it took the checkout bimbo and two managers to figure out how to do it.... My wife was ready to reach across the counter and strangle them...

Its rampant...
Old 11-11-2012, 08:48   #49
droidfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Well what do you expect when you greedy capitalists won't pay a minimum of $50M/year for customer service work to someone who answers, when asked to pick up a scrap of paper on the floor, "That's not my job"?
You work in my business and the job description is "what the boss wants you to do while you are on the clock".

The 'not my job line' may fly on a union floor, but you're not being paid to milk a time clock, you are being paid to serve the dynamic needs of the business as an entity. Any labor you are qualified to do is within your sphere of duties should the boss determine that need.

I wouldn't expect someone who never picked up a circular saw to go cut me a bunch of 2x4's to length to stick out a wall.

I wouldn't expect someone classified as disabled due to a bad knee to be expected to bend down and pick up that scrap of paper without assistance, such as from a broom/dustpan combo with handles at least chest height. To this end that person will be less likely to end up being asked to pick up that piece of paper, because if someone else is closer then the tool needed, guess what the more efficient use of labor versus time is?

If you don't want to do what you are being asked to do, you will be replaced with someone else who will. Not that hard.

Pretty much anything else can be taught. Someone wants to show up and do what they are told, they can stay. Someone wants to show up and try to dictate to management how to do their job and they can go hinder someone else's business.
droidfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:25   #50
DaneA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Funny thing is that I don't pay minimum wage. I always try to start at least $8/hour. And the company I work for has a lot of upward mobility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtpwnz View Post
The guys work on a commission scale of 25-40% of the total ticket price. They earn more for evening/after hours work and get added compensation for add on's. They also keep 100% of all tips they make.
Shoot, maybe I'll come work for you. I used to only pay my techs 20%. Do you pay extra for IICRC certs?
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote