GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-09-2012, 13:11   #101
Slug71

Really do appreciate everyones feedback and opinions in this thread.

Think i'm just more disappointed in that I was really looking forward to moving back to the East Coast next year. I hate living where I do. Jobs are scarce and little opportunity for growth/advancement.

This just feels like a HUGE set back for me. I was looking forward to seeing my family next year which I have not seen in 3 years and gone through a ugly divorce in that time......
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Slug71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:16   #102
Hawkeye16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrys View Post
At "will"?

I just wish someone "would".
I believe most strip joints have "at wood" employment...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Hawkeye16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:17   #103
Hawkeye16

Why can't you move to the east coast and find a job out there?

Hawkeye16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:22   #104
Slug71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye16 View Post
Why can't you move to the east coast and find a job out there?

Relocation is expensive. According to city-data one should have 6-9 months of living expenses save to do a out of state move. I defs don't have that.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Old 11-09-2012, 13:23   #105
Slug71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye16 View Post
I believe most strip joints have "at wood" employment...

Lol. :D
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Old 11-09-2012, 17:57   #106
jtull7
CLM Number 289
Pistolero

"and despite this economy you can't find good employees." That is total bull****. There are millions of talented, educated, motivated long-term people begging for a decent job,

"On the employee side, you are covered under the "workers compensation" program if the state concludes that the employer terminated you wrongfully or for no reason." Wrong. Worker's compensation only deals with an employee who is hurt on the job.

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:19   #107
skeeter1959

We have "emploment at will" in Texas and it works well here. You can thank the unions if you don't like working in an "at will" state.

I was "downsized" along with 4 others that helped a guy build his company into a $million dollar a year company. Each of us had 13 years invested. We got a severance package and un-employment benefits along with COBRA.

It sucked to be us, but all 5 of us rebuilt our lives elsewhere. I even went to work for his competitor as a paid "consultant" for a while. Really chapped his ass, but employment at will cuts both ways.
skeeter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:34   #108
Tx-SIG229

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
The better employees thrive under at-will conditions.
this must explain why Texas Child Protective Services (when i was there) had something like a 43% turn over rate and also explain why the average CPS investigator only had 6 months experience. yeh mr & mrs tax payer, you're getting your money's worth... no long term benefits to pay your civil servants and then also having to spend more money to constantly hire and train new workers every couple of months while you're getting terrible services from your govnt.
Old 11-09-2012, 18:58   #109
FLGatorFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx-SIG229 View Post
this must explain why Texas Child Protective Services (when i was there) had something like a 43% turn over rate and also explain why the average CPS investigator only had 6 months experience. yeh mr & mrs tax payer, you're getting your money's worth... no long term benefits to pay your civil servants and then also having to spend more money to constantly hire and train new workers every couple of months while you're getting terrible services from your govnt.
This is a management issue, and has nothing to do with at will employment.
FLGatorFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 19:47   #110
CaptCave

If I start/buy/run a company with my money, I can certainly hire and fire anyone I want, for any reason or no reason at all. Wouldn't want to have it any other way.

Now, whether that is a smart decision is another question.

Rarely is anyone fired for "no reason at all" or even "no warning at all". You might not know the reason, or caught the warning, and again, that is mgmt and the company's fault for not have the correct evaluation/feedback polices.
CaptCave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 19:51   #111
vikingsoftpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
What few people realize is that "at will" has its limitations.
'At Will' can also mean I have no work for you....

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 22:52   #112
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtull7 View Post
"and despite this economy you can't find good employees." That is total bull****. There are millions of talented, educated, motivated long-term people begging for a decent job,
There is no question that there are many motivated, qualified people looking for work: but there are a LOT of incompetent and unmotivated people applying for jobs also.

My experience and the experience of my friends and collegues in other companies is that we are still having a hard time finding good employees.

It is a very serious and frustrating problem.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:09   #113
Taphius

An employer is not going to spend the resources on hiring you to just up and fire you for no reason.
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:11   #114
Taphius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Glock View Post
There is no question that there are many motivated, qualified people looking for work: but there are a LOT of incompetent and unmotivated people applying for jobs also.

My experience and the experience of my friends and collegues in other companies is that we are still having a hard time finding good employees.

All those crappy resumes makes it so much more important to tailor your own to match what the employer wants =\ big pita for me right now looking for work.
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:44   #115
Officer X

At will = Kiss butt to get ahead or keep your job.

Even if you do an outstanding job but your boss doesn't care for your: politics, religion, opinions, appearance, etc..., you're gone. Yes, it may be illegal in some regards, but all that needs to be done is some bogus kind of excuse and then it's up to you to try to prove it.

Great way to live when you have standards, go along to get along. I've seen some real shady politics and backstabbing over my career and I've seen some very good people that were targets of personal vendettas saved by civil service and the union.

Nothing in life is perfect, but having some recourse because your boss woke up in a bad mood and didn't like a comment you made and wants you gone is very worthwhile.
Officer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:06   #116
engineer151515

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Before I go to work for a company I research them thoroughly.

In a situation like that I would be negotiating a signing bonus, guarantee or relo package.

Right now the major oil companies are offering $50,000 sign on bonus for a chemE or petroleum engineer with a 3.5 or better. That or they'll zero out your student loans. That easily covers a 12 month lease.
Yupp.

When engineering is in demand, it's hot.

When not, I've seen graduating classes of 25 engineers where only three found jobs. (Two co-ops and the top GPA).

In the past three years, oil and gas has been hot. Big oil and associated petrochemical are willing to pay for talent because there is a gap where poor market performance did not produce many graduating Chemical Engineers. There is a very distinct manpower gap in available talent in the 35 to 50 year age group and it looks like large corps are trying to reload for the next couple decades. The older engineers are retiring and the numbers of experienced engineers to teach the newbies are dwindling quickly.

<<<< been "at will" my whole career. I've been cut loose with a plant closing. Not a good feeling - you start to feel like its personal. But it's not. Now I have a position much better than the one I lost, so I guess it worked out in the long haul. I hope it does for the OP too.

<<<< have relocated across country and stayed with family while hunting a new job. Took a while, but it worked.

Last edited by engineer151515; 11-10-2012 at 07:10..
engineer151515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 14:41   #117
Slug71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer X View Post
At will = Kiss butt to get ahead or keep your job.

Even if you do an outstanding job but your boss doesn't care for your: politics, religion, opinions, appearance, etc..., you're gone. Yes, it may be illegal in some regards, but all that needs to be done is some bogus kind of excuse and then it's up to you to try to prove it.

Great way to live when you have standards, go along to get along. I've seen some real shady politics and backstabbing over my career and I've seen some very good people that were targets of personal vendettas saved by civil service and the union.

Nothing in life is perfect, but having some recourse because your boss woke up in a bad mood and didn't like a comment you made and wants you gone is very worthwhile.
Thats pretty much how things seem to me at the moment.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Old 11-10-2012, 14:43   #118
Slug71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphius View Post
An employer is not going to spend the resources on hiring you to just up and fire you for no reason.
Happened to me. What ever reason they do have is likely not true or in twisted form.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Old 11-10-2012, 14:55   #119
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer151515 View Post
Yupp.

When engineering is in demand, it's hot.

When not, I've seen graduating classes of 25 engineers where only three found jobs. (Two co-ops and the top GPA).

In the past three years, oil and gas has been hot. Big oil and associated petrochemical are willing to pay for talent because there is a gap where poor market performance did not produce many graduating Chemical Engineers. There is a very distinct manpower gap in available talent in the 35 to 50 year age group and it looks like large corps are trying to reload for the next couple decades. The older engineers are retiring and the numbers of experienced engineers to teach the newbies are dwindling quickly.

<<<< been "at will" my whole career. I've been cut loose with a plant closing. Not a good feeling - you start to feel like its personal. But it's not. Now I have a position much better than the one I lost, so I guess it worked out in the long haul. I hope it does for the OP too.

<<<< have relocated across country and stayed with family while hunting a new job. Took a while, but it worked.
Oil and gas has been hot for a while.

Petrobras is hiring a lot of talent away too (with Obama money).

One of the biggest risks to the oil companies is aging talent. If young smart people today aren't looking at it as a career opportunity they're foolish.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 15:10   #120
Unk

The limitations to at-will employment termination are usually found in various federal laws on discrimination on a prohibited basis such as race, gender, national origin, and disability to name a few.

Absent that you can be terminated for good reason, bad reason or no reason.

Nothing wrong with "at will"..employers want and need good employees although those needs can and do change. Just remember you own your CAREER and the company owns the JOB. Stay current on skills, save money and meet or exceed your employers performance expectations and you'll be fine.
Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 15:27   #121
HarlDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter1959 View Post
but employment at will cuts both ways.
That is something most employees don't understand.

I just landed a great job with a great company that goes out of their way to hire the best people they can find and then do everything they can to keep them there. I went through four interviews and based on the questions and comments they made to me during that process, one of their main concerns was that I would leave in 5-10 years with all of the very valuable experience and knowledge they invested in me. They obviously didn't come out and say it, but it was very apparent to me from the beginning and I have no doubt that I landed the job because I was able to best convince them that I was there for the long term.

Last edited by HarlDane; 11-10-2012 at 15:28..
HarlDane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 16:34   #122
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Glock View Post

It's amazing the hiring or lack thereof we have had the last three years.

Ours is hard because of the demands we place on people you do not find in other emloyment.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT

Last edited by CAcop; 11-10-2012 at 16:35..
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 18:11   #123
Z71bill

Think like an employer - using your own cash to run a business.

Would be more or less willing to try and expand your business & hire an additional employee?

If - once you hired a person you had to keep them forever - plus provide them health care, retirement, pay them at least $XX per hour.

or

If - you could pay the salary & benefits you both agree to, terminate them any time you wanted.

If you want more jobs to be created - making it easier to get rid of people actually does it better than not allowing people to be terminated.

This will be EASY to understand if YOU ARE PAYING THE EMPLOYEE OUT OF YOUR OWN POCKET.
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 19:00   #124
Jbar4Ranch
B-Western Hero

Send a message via ICQ to Jbar4Ranch
Montana was, and may still be, the only state with a law against At Will Employment. An employer needs a valid reason to fire you here, HOWEVER... that doesn't stop them from firing you anyway, they just call it something else.

I was sent home, "pending an investigation", on April 4th from my job as Gun Room Manager at Wholesale Sports for saying to one of my problem employees, "Piss off, Chuck". No word the next day, so I called the store to speak to the manager and was told he was on vacation. He wouldn't answer his cell and didn't return my calls, so I called the "Senior Human Resources Consultant" at our Federal Way store and, in short, was told, "Dave told me you quit and I've already separated you."

"Job Abandonment", and just like that, I was in the soup line. He also fired my immediate superior four days ago, but that's another story.
Jbar4Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 20:12   #125
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer X View Post
At will = Kiss butt to get ahead or keep your job. ....

Or, be very very good at providing needed skills, talents, or abilities.

There's a universe of opportunity out there, even in the worst of times. The variety of needs to be filled in a free market is infinite.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote