Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-09-2012, 18:08   #1
Walk Soft

Best AK mags?

I was looking to buy some magazines for my AK,but I don't know anything about the different options.
Is there one type which is known to be the best, or do different people prefer different mags?

Last edited by Walk Soft; 11-09-2012 at 18:09..
Walk Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:35   #2
rilkil23

Circle 10 magazines are about $35 and seem to be the ticket.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
rilkil23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 18:51   #3
Walk Soft

$35 is alot.I recently got a second AK and actually shoot this one.I noticed that Ak's are cheaper than AR's in every aspect.I guess magazines are the exception.
Old 11-09-2012, 18:51   #4
Walk Soft

Are the Tapco's any good?
Old 11-09-2012, 19:08   #5
rilkil23

Tapco works great for the range.
rilkil23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 19:32   #6
TactiCool

Get yugo surplus mags. They're cheaper and more durable than the bulgarian poly mags and have the bolt hold-open feature.

Tapco mags are good for the range and plenty tough for 'carbine' courses.
TactiCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 21:13   #7
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactiCool View Post
Get yugo surplus mags. They're cheaper and more durable than the bulgarian poly mags and have the bolt hold-open feature.

Tapco mags are good for the range and plenty tough for 'carbine' courses.
I would disagree with this 100%. Yugo mags are nothing but trouble. Tapco mags lack durability due to the all plastic construction.

The best mags are Bulgarian circle-10's and Chinese steel surplus. This question comes up at least 3 times a week. Use the search feature.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 21:22   #8
adamg01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayaX View Post
I would disagree with this 100%. Yugo mags are nothing but trouble. Tapco mags lack durability due to the all plastic construction.

The best mags are Bulgarian circle-10's and Chinese steel surplus. This question comes up at least 3 times a week. Use the search feature.
I agree on Crapco mags but have never heard anything but praise for Yugo mags and they are one of my favorites. Why are they trouble in your opinion?
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 21:59   #9
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg01 View Post
I agree on Crapco mags but have never heard anything but praise for Yugo mags and they are one of my favorites. Why are they trouble in your opinion?
They create a mushy trigger, and release the bolt when the magazine is removed. The mushy trigger isn't so bad if yugo magazines are all you train with, but the fact that it's a bolt hold open only while the magazine is inserted is just stupid. In addition, mixing them with non-Yugo's for training creates a mix of feed back on an empty magazine.

I think there is a reason why one tiny country produces these magazines.

Edit to clarify the last point:

A click on an AK could be either a malfunction (short-stroke/bolt over base, etc), or an empty magazine. "click" malfunctions can almost always be solved by changing the magazine, so the proper response to any AK "click" is to change the magazine and cycle the action.

A mushy trigger, on the other hand, always indicates a malfunction (in everything except Yugo mags, where the opposite is true). "mush" malfunctions, may or may not (generally the case) be solved by changing magazines and cycling the action.

Yugo mags complicate things that are otherwise simple (click = change mag, mush = diagnose/immediate action). Complications are trouble.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I

Last edited by WayaX; 11-09-2012 at 22:09..
Old 11-10-2012, 03:54   #10
Walk Soft

Quote:

I did use the search function.It didn't work.Try it.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:14   #11
ca survivor

I had good luck with East German mags, but the supply is probably dry up by now.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:30   #12
Hamrhed
AKs & Glocks

Great info, WayaX... please don't be a 'search function' goon- it never leads to people doing what you want, IME
Old 11-10-2012, 13:48   #13
houseflipper

Quote:

Glad someone else said it. 2 out of my 4 used Yugo mags don't feed properly. I have had good luck with everything else. So hard to pick a good mag because the selection has dried up.

#1 http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ine&groupid=15
#2 http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ak7630slmosy.html
#3 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/111...-round-polymer

Last edited by houseflipper; 11-10-2012 at 13:49..
houseflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 15:29   #14
mrstrau

US PALM US PALM US PALM

Fantastic polymer magazines. Withstand a ****load of abuse. They run about 25 on the website but you can find them for about 20 if you look around.

They also fit every ak variant, including the notorious WASRs
Old 11-10-2012, 15:36   #15
mrstrau

Just to reiterate....some of the best AK mags I've used.
Old 11-10-2012, 15:38   #16
RedNine
AutomatedSystem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
I had good luck with East German mags, but the supply is probably dry up by now.
Those are my favorite, and they're still out there. I picked some up just recently.
RedNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 16:50   #17
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Surplus STEEL MAGS!!!!! I just cant stress it enough. I bought 8 circle 10 mags at a gun show once, they wouldnt fit the mag well of any AK I owned at that time. (polytech, sar, mak) I tosssed them in the garbage. As far as tapco and other aftermarket mags, I just dont see any reason to go that route.

I prefer:

Chinese 30's (w/ chrome follower and 3 witness holes)
Chinese 30's (w/ chrome follower and 2 witness holes)
Chinese 30's (w/ chrome follower and zero witness holes)
Chinese 30's (plain follower)
Bulgarian (20 rounders)

I would like to try some slabside Russian mags but have never been able to find any that wernt trashed.
Old 11-12-2012, 19:13   #18
mobilecommand

i got a bunch of these.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/accessories/ak30ebnew
mobilecommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 19:21   #19
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

European surplus mags. I'm trying to remember where I got most of mine. Usually about ten bucks tops. They work great.

Someone was selling a bunch of 'em last year or two. Can't remember the vendor though....anyone know?

But for a 7.62, there is no reason to be paying more than about ten bucks a mag.
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 19:57   #20
Walk Soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
European surplus mags. I'm trying to remember where I got most of mine. Usually about ten bucks tops. They work great.

Someone was selling a bunch of 'em last year or two. Can't remember the vendor though....anyone know?

But for a 7.62, there is no reason to be paying more than about ten bucks a mag.
One of the previous posters pm'd a link to Eastern European mags for about that price.I thought what the heck and ordered four of them and a ten round mag for bench shooting.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-12-2012, 20:12   #21
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I have never had any mag issues with my AKs. My Chinese were new when I bought them. My Hungarians were "surplus", but they looked new. The I think I have an East German. I think I have a Russian.

So far no issues. I do have some rust on a couple mags but they were wet for several days.
Old 11-12-2012, 20:22   #22
jack76590

Any STEEL mag made in previously commie bloc country should be fine. They are built like tanks. If there is a ban you should be able to keep them going basically forever with only very occasional spring replacements.
jack76590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 21:29   #23
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

double

Last edited by RWBlue; 11-12-2012 at 21:30..
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:42   #24
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstrau View Post
Just to reiterate....some of the best AK mags I've used.
The problem is they can't be disassembled for cleaning/repair, and they cost almost as much as the gold standard of polymer magazines (which is more properly re-enforced). Their size also does not allow them to fit into many AK magazine pouches.

While I've never had issue with mine, I would not buy more until they come down in price. At $15 they would be a good deal; at $25-30, they're competing with circle-10 magazines, which are superior.

-Haile Selassie I
Old 11-13-2012, 13:32   #25
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstrau View Post
US PALM US PALM US PALM

Fantastic polymer magazines. Withstand a ****load of abuse. They run about 25 on the website but you can find them for about 20 if you look around.

They also fit every ak variant, including the notorious WASRs
Yep and youtube is full of us palm mags with floor plates that just fall off.