Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
At least they get to open carry.
There is that. Can you do that in TX?
Old 11-09-2012, 14:56   #27
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson View Post
God knows that no other state has open carry idiots looking for attention.

We also let gays from Alabama come up here and get married. Tell your friends.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:59   #28
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck TX View Post
How...progressive.
Sweet isn't it?
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 15:00   #29
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
No. Texans have to get government permission to carry.

Don't Mess With Texas
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 15:05   #30
Patchman
Florist

The guy went to jail. He should also lose his job.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 15:14   #31
noway

Whatever we do, we need to follow the letter of the law

Here's the statute of IOWA law and yes you need a permit for open or conceal carry

i. A person who has in the person's possession and who displays to a peace officer on demand a valid permit to carry weapons which has been issued to the person, and whose conduct is within the limits of that permit. A person shall not be convicted of a violation of this section if the person produces at the person's trial a permit to carry weapons which was valid at the time of the alleged offense and which would have brought the person's conduct within this exception if the permit had been produced at the time of the alleged offense.

Last edited by noway; 11-09-2012 at 15:14..
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 15:15   #32
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
Why is that so? Please advise.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 15:17   #33
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post

Why? He may of acted dumb but why his job.

"Iowa law specifically provides that a person carrying a weapon must show his permit when asked by a peace officer. Note also that the charge will probably be dismissed if he produces the permit at trial."

"Section 724.4(3)(i) provides "A person who has in the person’s possession and who displays to a peace officer on demand a valid permit to carry weapons which has been issued to the person, and whose conduct is within the limits of that permit. A person shall not be convicted of a violation of this section if the person produces at the person’s trial a permit to carry weapons which was valid at the time of the alleged offense and which would have brought the person’s conduct within this exception if the permit had been produced at the time of the alleged offense."

Old 11-09-2012, 15:26   #34
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedreams View Post
Why? He may of acted dumb but why his job.

"Iowa law specifically provides that a person carrying a weapon must show his permit when asked by a peace officer. Note also that the charge will probably be dismissed if he produces the permit at trial."

"Section 724.4(3)(i) provides "A person who has in the person’s possession and who displays to a peace officer on demand a valid permit to carry weapons which has been issued to the person, and whose conduct is within the limits of that permit. A person shall not be convicted of a violation of this section if the person produces at the person’s trial a permit to carry weapons which was valid at the time of the alleged offense and which would have brought the person’s conduct within this exception if the permit had been produced at the time of the alleged offense."
The difference may be his conduct though. The difference between "refusing" to show the permit and just not having it.

Once I was way out in the middle nowhere, with nothing around for miles. The biggest business in the whole county seemed to be a Super Walmart that was open 24 hours. I stopped there because there wasn't anything else around. I went inside and they had county police officers in uniform working security there.
Old 11-09-2012, 15:28   #35
TK-421

Quote:
No. The one state you'd figure would be the most pro-gun in the entire country, and you can't open carry. Oh, and don't even think about printing, or accidentally exposing your gun, like if your shirt lifts up. Both will get you in serious trouble, and is equivalent to open carry, from what I gather. At least in florida you're allowed to print, and if your shirt lifts up and exposes your gun, like if you're reaching to the top shelf for something, nobody cares. The problem is that the legislature meets every two years, and only for 140 days, and they're so busy with the budget and other ****, that they don't have time to discuss open carry. It was on the table last session, but they didn't do anything with it. Hopefully this session they'll allow it.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 15:34   #36
rednoved
NRA Member

Idiot.
rednoved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 15:50   #37
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
Here's the statute of IOWA law and yes you need a permit for open or conceal carry
Section 724.4(3)(i) of the Iowa code only applies to conceal carry and has nothing to do with open carry. You can open carry without a conceal carry permit and always could but you have to be careful you don't run afoul a local municipal ordnance. I would say it is unwise to open carry unless you are hunting or on your own private property.

Old 11-09-2012, 15:56   #38
brboyer

I was not there so do not know the whole story, but I have to question the legality for demand of the license/permit.

There is quite a bit of case law on this subject, but LEO that work 'security' gigs are operating under the authority of the property owner, not the government, until such time as he/she has RS of a crime being committed.

Just because he was a LEO in uniform, does not necessarily mean that he was in the lawful performance of his duties at the time he requested/demanded the license/permit, nor does it mean that the encounter was a lawful detention/seizure of his person under the 4th Amendment.

Not sure how IOWA case law stands on open carry as RS of a crime.

Last edited by brboyer; 11-09-2012 at 20:59.. Reason: typo
brboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 16:07   #39
JJohnson
Call me Jeff

Quote:
No. The one state you'd figure would be the most pro-gun in the entire country, and you can't open carry...
Does it take anything besides a 4473 to buy a pistol from a dealer? Can you just walk in, lay down cash and walk away with one? Background checks, etc?
Old 11-09-2012, 16:20   #40
TK-421

Quote:
Does it take anything besides a 4473 to buy a pistol from a dealer? Can you just walk in, lay down cash and walk away with one? Background checks, etc?
All it takes is money and a background check. A background check usually takes 15 minutes, unless it's delayed. You fill out the paper work, they call it in, if you're good to go, you walk out with the firearm. If you're delayed, they have three days to say no, otherwise you can go and pick it up after three days.

When I bought my 23, I walked in, I was delayed, probably because it was the first time I bought a firearm, and they told me three days. They ended up calling me the next day, I went and picked it up and drove home with my new gun five minutes after walking into the store the next day.

The nice thing is that they don't have to do a background check if you have a CHL. You just walk in, fill out the paper work, hand over your cash and your CHL, and you walk out with your gun a few minutes later.

Of course, that's presuming the guys at the gun store gave me correct information, but I'm pretty sure they did, since they do this for a living.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 16:24   #41
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

If state law says you must show your permit to LE, then you must do it. However, since he was open-carrying I don't see why this was even an issue. Here, it would have simply been some form of picture ID and he would have gone on his way unless the store manager insisted he leave the premises.
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 16:26   #42
oldman11

What I don't understand is why the hesitancy to show the CHL when asked, even if it's just Walmarts own security. It only takes a second and then everyone is happy.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 16:29   #43
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
What I don't understand is why the hesitancy to show the CHL when asked, even if it's just Walmarts own security. It only takes a second and then everyone is happy.
Because he was open carrying...if open carry is legal there without a permit, there is no reason to even ask for such a thing.
Old 11-09-2012, 16:31   #44
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
At least they get to open carry.
Apparently it doesn't go so well all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
No. Texans have to get government permission to carry.

Don't Mess With Texas
What's littering got to do with it?
Old 11-09-2012, 16:35   #45
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
It doesn't specify which uniform he was wearing. Was he wearing a Walmart Security Guard uniform, or a Police Officer uniform? My guess would be a Walmart Security Guard Uniform, because if I saw a guy wearing that uniform, and he didn't announce himself as an off duty cop, I'd tell him to buzz off when he asked to see my permit. But if the cop was wearing his police uniform, then the guy shouldn't be allowed to carry his gun for being so stupid. If a cop in uniform asked to see my permit, I'd show it to him, required by law or not, because I'd consider it polite, presuming I was required to have a permit to open carry.

However, this is exactly the kind of reason why I prefer concealed carry. Because when done properly, the cop would have had 0 idea the guy was armed, and he wouldn't be in his current predicament.
You've seen a "Walmart Security Guard Uniform"?

Really? I never have. Weird.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 16:36   #46
b_oglethorpe

The police violated his rights an we should start collecting for a legal defense fund!!!!!

Haha I'm kidding.
b_oglethorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 16:40   #47
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
If state law says you must show your permit to LE, then you must do it. However, since he was open-carrying I don't see why this was even an issue. Here, it would have simply been some form of picture ID and he would have gone on his way unless the store manager insisted he leave the premises.

This, this case has nothing to do with conceal carry and showing a permit. It is simply open carry and if the management of the store felt uncomfortable with the situation they should ask the person to leave. If they refuse then a trespass charge can be issued by law enforcement. This has nothing to do with conceal carry or any type of permit.

Old 11-09-2012, 16:44   #48
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedreams View Post

This, this case has nothing to do with conceal carry and showing a permit. It is simply open carry and if the management of the store felt uncomfortable with the situation they should ask the person to leave. If they refuse then a trespass charge can be issued by law enforcement. This has nothing to do with conceal carry or any type of permit.
Exactly.
Old 11-09-2012, 16:45   #49
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by brboyer View Post
I was not there so do not know the whole story, but I have to question the legality for demand of the license/permit.

There is quite a bit of case law on this subject, but LEO that work 'security' gigs are operating under the authority of the property owner, not the government, until such time as he/she has RS of a crime being committed.

Just because he was a LEO in uniform, does not necessarily mean that he was in the lawful performance of his duties at the time he requested/demanded the license/permit, nor does it mean that the encounter was lawfully a detention/seizure of his person under 4th Amendment.

Not sure how IOWA case law stands on open carry as RS of a crime.
I don't know how it is in Iowa, but in Texas the authority take legal action is always in effect for Peace Officers. Regardless of on duty, working a secondary assignment, or off duty.

As a side note, my department requires you to wear your department uniform when working a secondary assignment gig, and log on with Communications, so you can be put into CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch).

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 16:48   #50
JJohnson
Call me Jeff

Quote:
All it takes is money and a background check. A background check usually takes 15 minutes, unless it's delayed. You fill out the paper work, they call it in, if you're good to go, you walk out with the firearm. If you're delayed, they have three days to say no, otherwise you can go and pick it up after three days...
Cool thanks. Our permit to purchase pistols allows one to walk into a store and skip the background check completely. Considering the time savings and convenience, I guess Chuck TX was right, it is a progressive idea.

These are only used if one doesn't have a CCW. Since we are a "shall issue" state now, I assume this document will be phased out eventually.

Last edited by JJohnson; 11-09-2012 at 16:51..
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote