TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Man with gun in Walmart arrested for refusing to show permit

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/d...nclick_check=1
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:54   #2
badge315

The one natural resource we seem to have an endless supply of is stupid people.

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:59   #3
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge315 View Post
The one natural resource we seem to have an endless supply of is stupid people.
If there were only some way to harness that resource at the national level.....just think of what we could do!

Oh, that's right.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:18   #4
JW1178

Did the LEO prove he was in fact a LEO or just walmart security?

Still, once again, we have yet another activist standing his ground asking for trouble, and he got trouble.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:20   #5
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1178 View Post

Still, once again, we have yet another activist standing his ground asking for trouble, and he got trouble.
I think putting him in jail might have proven it.

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:26   #6
Bruce M

Quote:

I am guesing that somewhere between the walk outside away from Walmart, the ride however far it was, and then the walk into the Polk County Jail Mr. Alivonta had a clue or should have had a clue that he had successfully advanced from Walmart security to the local constabulary.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:27   #7
Tongo

Quote:

"Alivonta had a permit to purchase firearms and one to carry a gun but repeatedly refused to show them to Butler, who was working security in uniform at the store."

I'd take it to mean he WAS wearing his LEO uniform and as such, it should have been fairly obvious to most individuals that he was in fact a LEO.
Tongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:27   #8
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
If there were only some way to harness that resource at the national level.....just think of what we could do!

Oh, that's right.
the democrats have successfully harnessed the power of the stupid. does that count?

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:33   #9
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:

Oh, that's right.

Well done
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:33   #10
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongo View Post
"Alivonta had a permit to purchase firearms and one to carry a gun but repeatedly refused to show them to Butler, who was working security in uniform at the store."

I'd take it to mean he WAS wearing his LEO uniform and as such, it should have been fairly obvious to most individuals that he was in fact a LEO.
It doesn't specify which uniform he was wearing. Was he wearing a Walmart Security Guard uniform, or a Police Officer uniform? My guess would be a Walmart Security Guard Uniform, because if I saw a guy wearing that uniform, and he didn't announce himself as an off duty cop, I'd tell him to buzz off when he asked to see my permit. But if the cop was wearing his police uniform, then the guy shouldn't be allowed to carry his gun for being so stupid. If a cop in uniform asked to see my permit, I'd show it to him, required by law or not, because I'd consider it polite, presuming I was required to have a permit to open carry.

However, this is exactly the kind of reason why I prefer concealed carry. Because when done properly, the cop would have had 0 idea the guy was armed, and he wouldn't be in his current predicament.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:39   #11
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

By the way, dude was a Class A idiot.

I'm sure some of the more radical gun forums are already talking about how the police violated his rights and have started a legal defense fund.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:39   #12
cowboy1964

You need a permit to purchase firearms in Iowa??
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:41   #13
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
It doesn't specify which uniform he was wearing. Was he wearing a Walmart Security Guard uniform, or a Police Officer uniform? My guess would be a Walmart Security Guard Uniform.
My guess would be his duty uniform. Around here off-duty cops working private security always wear their duty uniforms.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:47   #14
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
My guess would be his duty uniform. Around here off-duty cops working private security always wear their duty uniforms.
It's unheard of here for a sworn officer to put on a square badge to work security. There is absolutely zero upside for either the cop or the extra-duty employer. Let me emphasize that: Absolutely zero. There are a series of downsides for the cop, the employer and the department.

It's just not done.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:53   #15
Tongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
It doesn't specify which uniform he was wearing. Was he wearing a Walmart Security Guard uniform, or a Police Officer uniform? My guess would be a Walmart Security Guard Uniform, because if I saw a guy wearing that uniform, and he didn't announce himself as an off duty cop, I'd tell him to buzz off when he asked to see my permit. But if the cop was wearing his police uniform, then the guy shouldn't be allowed to carry his gun for being so stupid. If a cop in uniform asked to see my permit, I'd show it to him, required by law or not, because I'd consider it polite, presuming I was required to have a permit to open carry.

However, this is exactly the kind of reason why I prefer concealed carry. Because when done properly, the cop would have had 0 idea the guy was armed, and he wouldn't be in his current predicament.
As we don't have security guards at our WalMart, I didn't realize the have their own...though I should have thought of that.
Tongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:08   #16
JohnBT
NRA Patron

I didn't know Walmart issued security uniforms. I've never seen one here.

I searched google images and didn't see any.

John
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:09   #17
BamaBud
NRA Life Member

This is in Iowa, who just went for Obama. Figures.

NRA Life Member
BamaBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:23   #18
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongo View Post
As we don't have security guards at our WalMart, I didn't realize the have their own...though I should have thought of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post
I didn't know Walmart issued security uniforms. I've never seen one here.

I searched google images and didn't see any.

John
Generally, from what I've seen, Walmart doesn't have "Walmart" branded security, they'll contract that out. Securitas is what I see a lot. I've seen a few security guards wandering around my walmart, but it's not an everyday occurrence.
Old 11-09-2012, 14:25   #19
JJohnson
Call me Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
You need a permit to purchase firearms in Iowa??
To purchase handguns only or you need a permit to carry. Long guns need no special permits.
Old 11-09-2012, 14:28   #20
JJohnson
Call me Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBud View Post
This is in Iowa, who just went for Obama. Figures.
God knows that no other state has open carry idiots looking for attention.

We also let gays from Alabama come up here and get married. Tell your friends.
Old 11-09-2012, 14:39   #21
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson View Post
To purchase handguns only or you need a permit to carry. Long guns need no special permits.
How...progressive.
Old 11-09-2012, 14:42   #22
hamster
NRA Life Member

Quote:
It's unheard of here for a sworn officer to put on a square badge to work security. There is absolutely zero upside for either the cop or the extra-duty employer. Let me emphasize that: Absolutely zero. There are a series of downsides for the cop, the employer and the department.

It's just not done.
Agreed. I would hope any officer would be wearing their department uniform. I place orders of magnitude more trust in police officers than some strange "store security" guys.

I don't know the law where this guy was, but I don't see a problem with showing ID when asked and given a valid reason. Unfortunately the sheeple fear armed citizens, but the officer was simply doing his job here.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:46   #23
pipedreams

According to the article he was outside carrying which is rather dumb to start with but does not require a CC permit. I'm suspect of the article since it says he had a permit to carry as well as a permit to purchase a handgun. It seems rather dumb to go to the sheriff's office pay and wait to get a permit to purchase a handgun if you already have a CC permit. If you do not have a CC in Iowa you have to apply for a permit to purchase a handgun which is good for a year. I suspect the author may be a bit behind on what the law is.

The first comment is rather interesting.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Last edited by pipedreams; 11-09-2012 at 14:54.. Reason: added text
pipedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:47   #24
JJohnson
Call me Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck TX View Post
How...progressive.
Yep. It's also freezing cold in the winter and broiling hot in the summer.
Old 11-09-2012, 14:49   #25
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck TX View Post
How...progressive.
At least they get to open carry.