Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-07-2012, 17:16   #226
slathrum

Send a message via Yahoo to slathrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
I see you've completely missed my point. Additionally, there are instances where standing orders and new protocols have superseded "medical direction". In my state things flow down from the state level, and in many instances (fire in particular) the state and the rest of the nation takes cues from NY City.

I asked a question about ALS<>IV lines.

- G
It just doesn't work like that. Who do you think orders those "standing orders." Legislators? No. Like I've tried to explain, it's a physician acting as a medical director. The state gives EMS it's scope of practice. Local physicians allow EMS to work within that scope of practice as an extension of their medical license. It's quite simple, but I just can't seem to get this through.
slathrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 17:21   #227
ignantmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by slathrum View Post
It just doesn't work like that. Who do you think orders those "standing orders." Legislators? No. Like I've tried to explain, it's a physician acting as a medical director. The state gives EMS it's scope of practice. Local physicians allow EMS to work within that scope of practice as an extension of their medical license. It's quite simple, but I just can't seem to get this through.
this is the way it works in ohio.....atleast in northeast....former emt-b ff here......
rimfire club member #504
ignantmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 18:10   #228
podwich

Quote:
No, they are not the same by any stretch, but are more similar than they are dissimilar....just like me, you, Tantrix and TBO collectively have more in common than any of us and Pelosi, Bloomberg and Obama.

Physician Assistant school
Doctor of Osteopathy

One (here, and in many instances in other places) requires a minimum # of patient contact hours (500-1500, depending on where, what school, etc).

The other...does not generally have a teaching hospital, and sometimes applicants need a referral from another DO and prior demonstrated experience with patient care.
I'm not at all sure what you're talking about. MD and DO are similar. PA is a different level. Admission requirements for MD and DO are virtually identical, as is course work, testing, residency, practice, etc. DO programs associate with teaching hospitals, just as do MDs.

PA is quite dissimilar.

So what in the world are you talking about?
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:45   #229
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Only took 3 days for them to announce the layoffs and station closures.

Closures. I wonder why they can just staff them with volunteers like they were 4 years ago before the union got involved?

Progress being made toward board appointment. Current term up next year. This union has to go.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:05   #230
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post

Closures. I wonder why they can just staff them with volunteers like they were 4 years ago before the union got involved?

Progress being made toward board appointment. Current term up next year. This union has to go.
Why are you blaming the Union because there is not enough tax money to pay fire fighters? Unions do not tax Government Agencies do.When the Grant money is gone so are the paid (union or not) help.

Yes stations close when no one is there. You won and a volunteer fire department will have to be formed or the District will have to pay some one Else's department to provide service. It is happening all over the country.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:20   #231
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
I hate to appear as if I am splitting hairs, but I think I'm about to learn something...

Not all ALS protocols require med direction. SOME of them do, but certainly not all, not even for your state.

Question: Is running a IV ALS or BLS ?

Answer: ALS.

Question: Do EMT-P need medical control /direction for running an IV?

Answer: No.

Actually, yes.

As a paramedic I work under my med controls license, with that being the case I can only perform the procedures my med control allows. I'm very fortunate that my med control allows, via standing orders, everything the state regulatory board allows paramedics to do. IV's, RSI, Pleural decompression, all the drugs and drips, the whole shabangabang. I can perform damn near every state approved procedure without direct medical orders. Basically the only time I have to call a doctor is if I want to give Morphine or I run into something I don't know anything about and need advice.

We also have the ability to deal with Physicians that show up on scene and try to take control. Our med control has issued and signed documentation that states all our pt's are under care of her license and gives us the authority to disregard their orders. Basically it works like this, if a Proctologist shows up on a scene and tries to take over we can tell him "Thanks, but no thanks." Now if an ER doc, Anesthesiologist or Trauma surgeon shows up and is willing to continue his treatments in transit, I won't get in his/her way.

Last edited by DaleGribble; 11-09-2012 at 11:32..
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:39   #232
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpig View Post
Why are you blaming the Union because there is not enough tax money to pay fire fighters? Unions do not tax Government Agencies do.When the Grant money is gone so are the paid (union or not) help.

Yes stations close when no one is there. You won and a volunteer fire department will have to be formed or the District will have to pay some one Else's department to provide service. It is happening all over the country.
We had a volunteer dept.

Will the firefighters union allow volunteers under the same roof?

That station was staffed with volunteers. Then they hired employees. Then they unionized. Then they became unaffordable.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:14   #233
bmoore

Quote:

Hotpig I should have jumped in earlier to help you out. You are not dealing with logic or any facts here my friend. Its the unions fault no matter what. You can't engage these people man, its like arguing with a drunk on a medical aide. Local 4488 out.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:20   #234
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
Hotpig I should have jumped in earlier to help you out. You are not dealing with logic or any facts here my friend. Its the unions fault no matter what. You can't engage these people man, its like arguing with a drunk on a medical aide. Local 4488 out.

Perhaps you can help then. Will your union allow volunteers in the same shop? Educate me. I honestly don't know.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:40   #235
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

Quote:
Perhaps you can help then. Will your union allow volunteers in the same shop? Educate me. I honestly don't know.
My last shift we had two of us union guys on duty. In addition to us the non Union Chief during the day shift. A volunteer worked a eight hour shift with the Union guy at station one.

Unless the Department agreed by collective bargaining to get rid of volunteers they are welcome any time.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:43   #236
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
My last shift we had two of us union guys on duty. In addition to us the non Union Chief during the day shift. A volunteer worked a eight hour shift with the Union guy at station one.

Unless the Department agreed by collective bargaining to get rid of volunteers they are welcome any time.
Ok. So then that's what we need to determine. Thanks.

Ultimately we need to bring the department back to all volunteer again except for the paid chief but in the interim we need to get the stations manned with volunteers again.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:55   #237
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:

Chips are falling, you should be happy.

I can give you the probable reason for closures: your vollys from four years ago haven't maintained their certs and there's no one qualified to work the stations. You can't expect the full time guys to continue on for free. They're too busy looking for work.

I hope that things work out for y'all. I mean that sincerely. I also hope you continue to post on the matter; I think it's fascinating and instructive and much easier to understand than the same issue on a state or national scale.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:20   #238
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Chips are falling, you should be happy.

I can give you the probable reason for closures: your vollys from four years ago haven't maintained their certs and there's no one qualified to work the stations. You can't expect the full time guys to continue on for free. They're too busy looking for work.

I hope that things work out for y'all. I mean that sincerely. I also hope you continue to post on the matter; I think it's fascinating and instructive and much easier to understand than the same issue on a state or national scale.
I am. I said upthread I'd rather pay Allstate than be held hostage.

There are no more vollys. It used to be I'd see them all over town. They had decals on their windows. It just occurred to me that I don't see them any more.

Its not going to be easy, however, we had the department we wanted and were willing to pay for. The renewal tax passed 50-40 ish. The new money failed 60-30. Clearly I'm not alone.

up until the last 4 years we were just fine with what we had. Now we can't afford what we've been given. Previous tax was sufficient to fund expansion, equipment, training etc. It wasn't until they switched to paid and then unionized that the budget got busted.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 11-09-2012 at 13:20..
Old 11-09-2012, 13:32   #239
Tvov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
I can give you the probable reason for closures: your vollys from four years ago haven't maintained their certs and there's no one qualified to work the stations.
This is assuming the FD did medical response. Most states the basic Fire Fighter I course is one time only, no need for "maintaining".

As long as the paid Chief did not alienate the volunteers, they will probably return. Heck, they'll probably start responding tonight if they are needed.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:41   #240
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

Less and less people have the time that it takes to be a Certified or Licensed volunteer firefighter or EMT. Every year both the State and the Feds add additional requirements.

Hiring people is not a option in this economy. As bad as it is right now in many parts of the country I can not image what it will be like in ten years.

As a thirty veteran both volunteer and paid and certified Instructor I can believe I would actually say this. In order to save lives and property the standards need to be lowered at some point.

We are better trained then thirty years ago. Because of this we are doing a lot more work with a lot less people than thirty years ago. Every year we do more than the year before with even less people.

Last edited by hotpig; 11-09-2012 at 13:45..
hotpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:43   #241
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvov View Post
This is assuming the FD did medical response. Most states the basic Fire Fighter I course is one time only, no need for "maintaining".

As long as the paid Chief did not alienate the volunteers, they will probably return. Heck, they'll probably start responding tonight if they are needed.
They did med response too.

Was talking with my councilman this morning about it and we laughed about how it used to be if you called 911 with a hangnail 12 of them would descend on your house.

They were a proud and enthusiastic bunch for sure.
Old 11-20-2013, 18:16   #242
dherloc
X-Nuc

Sort of curious about a status update on this one.
dherloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 18:20   #243
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Don't hold your breath.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 18:23   #244
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherloc View Post
Sort of curious about a status update on this one.
Certified funds hasn't been on this website since July. He probably died in a house fire while waiting on the volunteer fire department.

Last edited by DaleGribble; 11-20-2013 at 18:23..
Old 11-20-2013, 18:28   #245
Rizzo
Garbage Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
Certified funds hasn't been on this website since July. He probably died in a house fire while waiting on the volunteer fire department.
Well, at least in his final minutes, he could rejoice in saving $500 in property tax.
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 19:32   #246
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Well, at least in his final minutes, he could rejoice in saving $500 in property tax.
A penny saved is a penny earned!
Old 11-20-2013, 20:02   #247
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
He's alive and well, but got hit with the hammer.

geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 20:09   #248
Rizzo
Garbage Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofri View Post
He's alive and well, but got hit with the hammer.
I can't imagine why. His anti-tax, anti-government, anti-social security "Give me pure capitalism or give me death" rhetoric wasn't anymore inflammatory than a lot of other member's around here.
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 20:14   #249
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper16 View Post
I've seen companies lose big because of unions and I have seen companies prosper huge in spite of their unions.
Fixed that. It is economically impossible to prosper because of a union. The best the union could contribute is if it does nothing for its members. The sole purpose of a union is to drive labor costs above the market rate for non-union labor. You may as well claim your car runs better with water in the gas.

Last edited by Bren; 11-20-2013 at 20:14..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 20:18   #250
patriot550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Ogres have layers. Onions have layers. Now Fire Departments have layers.

Just wow. "We're from the government and we're here to help."
"Better out than in, I always say!"
patriot550 is offline   Reply With Quote