GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:28   #21
Fordtough25

I held off from buying a Sig for years, always wanted to try a P226 but chose to enjoy my Glocks. Well I bought a new P226 earlier this year finally for ($820), man that is a fine handling and shooting firearm! Still love my Glock's but that P226 kicks butt!! And it was made here in the USA and works great!

Last edited by Fordtough25; 09-27-2012 at 09:29..
Fordtough25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 19:28   #22
MNGLOCK

Just got a 226 SRT, SigNightSights, Aluminum grips all for $663 from Buds.
MNGLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 19:47   #23
Brian Brazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGLOCK View Post
Just got a 226 SRT, SigNightSights, Aluminum grips all for $663 from Buds.
Thats a sweet deal, I sold one just like that minus the aluminum grips, the SRT is great
Old 10-04-2012, 10:34   #24
ozy

have had way too many pistols that i care to admit, but the one/s that really impressed me immensly have the sigs. quality thru and thru and great shooters. took a bit of an adjustment, and further training, stepping off the glocks' platform, but the sigs are just great pistols.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Gen4 17, 19, 34,Gen 3 17L
SIG 226 E/E,229 XTREME,226DARK ELITE, P938,
226XTREME, 229E/E,229ELITE DARK.
ozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:30   #25
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
have had way too many pistols that i care to admit, but the one/s that really impressed me immensly have the sigs. quality thru and thru and great shooters. took a bit of an adjustment, and further training, stepping off the glocks' platform, but the sigs are just great pistols.

And the thing for me is, I really, REALLY want to love my , but they just dont feel right to me. They are great tools, I am confident each and every one I have will go bang when desired...just not attached to them...
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 19:55   #26
jbglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler View Post
The 226 is the finest 9mm combat pistol made today bare none. Second place is the Glock 17 and Browning Hi-power tied.
Pure opinion. I can shoot the Glock accurately with a lot less effort. I can shoot a 226 as accurately but a lot slower. Which is best is a matter of opinion. Which is overpriced is not. I still remember when the 226 was higher than a Glock but still reasonably priced.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:57   #27
dpadams6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRover View Post
I'm new to Sigs and I can't quite see what it is that makes the P226 worth so much more than a Glock or other similar pistol.

I was talking to a friend that used to be a cop that traded his P226 for a Dan Wesson 44 revolver. I was surprised that they were that valuable even used.

I'm getting a Sig 1911 Extreme. I know Sig makes quality firearms but what makes the P226 so much better?
Just take apart a sig and glock and compare parts. You will find the answer.
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 15:09   #28
jbglock

Sure. Take apart any Sig P220 or 226 and see all those machine marks you aren't used to seeing in a Glock and you'll really wonder why you paid extra.
Old 10-14-2012, 16:29   #29
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Polymer guns are less expensive to make than metal guns. That said, why did my HK cost so much?

Last edited by Clutch Cargo; 10-14-2012 at 16:30..
Clutch Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 20:37   #30
Infallible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
Sure. Take apart any Sig P220 or 226 and see all those machine marks you aren't used to seeing in a Glock and you'll really wonder why you paid extra.
not much machining in plastic injected mouldings, but of course most people who understand such things know this.

FWIW I own 5 Glocks and 2 Sigs. As others have said, holding and shooting the Sigs, it just feels like quality. I enjoy owning and shooting psitols that firearm enthusiasts know and not one that is the Honda civic of the shooting world.

Last edited by Infallible; 11-02-2012 at 20:40..
Infallible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 21:43   #31
taters

My sig p220 is the most accurate handgun I've ever fired.
Love a single action pistol. Also tritium night sights. Plus I saw an hour program on how the sigs are made in the factory very impressive. I also have a p229. And lastly a glock 36.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:01   #32
Gary1911A1

I'd like to have a 226 myself. About the best price is some CPOs' I've seen on GunBroker.com at around $600. Every time I seem to get ahead on bills something else seems to go wrong. Maybe I'll treat myself at Xmas.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:37   #33
JTBTACTICAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
I'd like to have a 226 myself. About the best price is some CPOs' I've seen on GunBroker.com at around $600. Every time I seem to get ahead on bills something else seems to go wrong. Maybe I'll treat myself at Xmas.
We have them for $610 and glocktalk members always receive free shipping!
Old 11-06-2012, 22:45   #34
thinkfast

As was mentioned, the intricate machining of high-grade aluminum is the main cost difference. The lockwork of the double action/decocker is a lot more intricate than the glock trigger design, too. I've also heard it said that traditional cut rifling like Sig barrels have is more expensive to cut than Glock's polygonal rifling. And it seems like there are more Sigs on dealer shelves wearing night sights than Glocks.

Next thing you know you're 250.00-300.00 more than Glock. But if you drop 150.00 on an aftermarket Glock barrel so you can shoot lead bullets, and throw on a set of Trijicons for 100-ish, the gap starts to narrow quickly.

It's so easy to tinker with and "upgrade" Glocks that it can be cheaper to buy a Sig!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:15   #35
jbglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkfast View Post
As was mentioned, the intricate machining of high-grade aluminum is the main cost difference. The lockwork of the double action/decocker is a lot more intricate than the glock trigger design, too. I've also heard it said that traditional cut rifling like Sig barrels have is more expensive to cut than Glock's polygonal rifling. And it seems like there are more Sigs on dealer shelves wearing night sights than Glocks.
Have you ever run a CNC milling machine? It is actually pretty cheap to get set up to run aluminum frames vs. the mold required to do a polymer frame. Ongoing costs also favor CNC milling.

Traditional cut rifling (a broach) is more expensive than hammer forged polygonal rifling? You need to research that a bit more.

Even with both having night sights the cost of one vs. the other is more than can be accounted for unless you think of the economies of scale.

Quote:
Next thing you know you're 250.00-300.00 more than Glock. But if you drop 150.00 on an aftermarket Glock barrel so you can shoot lead bullets, and throw on a set of Trijicons for 100-ish, the gap starts to narrow quickly.
I spent years shooting lead through a 23 and 23C barrel and other than some extra cleaning never had a problem. Same for a Sig with lead bullets. No problems other than extra cleaning.

Quote:
It's so easy to tinker with and "upgrade" Glocks that it can be cheaper to buy a Sig!
Let's really think about that. If you leave your Sig stock and spend a ton upgrading a Sig then in the end the Sig will be cheaper? Did you really think about that before writing it? Lets say the Glock is left stock. Now what?

Last edited by jbglock; 11-07-2012 at 10:16..
Old 11-07-2012, 10:28   #36
Wake_jumper

The same reason a BMW costs more than a Chevy.
Wake_jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 21:30   #37
kodiakpb

I just won a 226 combat TB off GB. Hope it lives up to the hype.
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 22:38   #38
Infallible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
Have you ever run a CNC milling machine? It is actually pretty cheap to get set up to run aluminum frames vs. the mold required to do a polymer frame. Ongoing costs also favor CNC milling.
Initial buy of the mold is expensive, after that its nothing but material cost. In machining aluminum you still have tooling requirements and not to mention having to have an actual operator inspecting the parts as tooling wears and the metal heats up from the cutting and coolant temps rising.

What do I know about CNC maching? Well lets see I know how to program Fanuc and G-Code, and my family's machine shop had 4 CNC VMC workstations with the smallest one being Tree 1260. Our largest machine being a CNC Daewoo Boring bar (this was a Horizontal obviously). I worked there when I was younger after I had just got out of the USAF.

We machined everything from paper plant machine manufacturing to aircraft spars to trucks for Oshkosh trucking to ship building to plastic injected molded frames for various projects. In other words, I've machined just about every type of steel aluminum brass bronze micarta plastic etc etc and know that aluminum is harder and more costly than plastic. Do you know that different types of aluminums are different to machine as well? You can not machine 7075 like can a 6061. You can cnc plastic as well and its even faster and more cost effective. I think I probably know more than you in this field.

Of course you also forget or possibly did not know about the treating of the aluminum frames in the first place versus the plastic frame of a Glock. There are other costs involved.

Quote:
Traditional cut rifling (a broach) is more expensive than hammer forged polygonal rifling? You need to research that a bit more.
Again initial buy is the only expense. There was a reason why the Germans had made polygonal barrels for the mg42 during ww2. Since you didn't offer, I'll tell you, its because it was cheaper and easier and faster to manufacture. Polygonal rifling has been around since rifling itself, its not a new process. If it was the intricate ground breaking expensive technology you falsely preceived it to be, the Russians wouldn't have been churing out millions upon millions of AK47s for dirt cheap prices now would they?

Quote:
Even with both having night sights the cost of one vs. the other is more than can be accounted for unless you think of the economies of scale.
I'm not sure what you think you're intending by this statement, but its probably not what you think it is. You're wrong.

Quote:
Let's really think about that. If you leave your Sig stock and spend a ton upgrading a Sig then in the end the Sig will be cheaper? Did you really think about that before writing it? Lets say the Glock is left stock. Now what?
Now what? I still have my Sigs and Glocks and can afford and appreciate both for what they are. Instead of trolling the Sig forums with your apparent outright jealousy, how about learning to act like a gentlemen isntead of a consumate ass?

Last edited by Infallible; 11-07-2012 at 22:52..
Infallible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 22:41   #39
Infallible

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakpb View Post
I just won a 226 combat TB off GB. Hope it lives up to the hype.
Its a fine pistol like most Sigs. It won't make you coffee in the morning or drive you to work but it will be a fine firearm.
Old 11-07-2012, 22:57   #40
kodiakpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infallible View Post
Its a fine pistol like most Sigs. It won't make you coffee in the morning or drive you to work but it will be a fine firearm.
Yeah I'm looking forward to it. I got it at below IOP pricing NIB so I think I got a good deal.
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote