SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-03-2012, 18:59   #1
Kentguy

.22 LR which one do you like?

Greetings,

A couple of days ago I had an itch to shoot some .22's. I have a Savage mark II BXP rifle with a Bushnell scope and a Colt Gold Cup 1911 Government model w/5" barrel and the ammo I had was the Federal bulk pack stuff, CCI Stinger & Velocitor rounds. Everything cycled fine with the exception of just a few of the Federal's in my Colt pistol.

I was wondering what do you folks like to shoot when you hit the range for .22 LR time? The ones I mentioned above is my usual ammo but I would like to try something different.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-03-2012, 20:23   #2
shotgunred
reloading nut

I haven't had any problems with any of my 22's with bulk packs so that is what I will continue to use.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 20:37   #3
Ljutic

If you want to see how accurate your rifle can be, try the Wolf Match Target. It does really well in my Mark II FV-SR.
Old 11-03-2012, 20:40   #4
countrygun

All .22s, even the same brand and mosel will have their own taste in ammo for best results so I try to keep several boxes of each guns favorite, but I also bulk buy bricks of different ammo on sale because I know one of my .22s will probably like it. I had problems with a lot of duds in the Remington bulk in the brown and white bozes no matter what gun so i stopped buying them.

For plinking generally CCI bulk.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 22:01   #5
unit1069

Through my Ruger Mark II 6 7/8" pistol I've found that the Federal bulk pack ammo is the most reliable for cheap range ammo.

All the Speer CCI ammo in Mini-Mag, Stinger, and Velocitor has been reliable when you step up to the premium .22lr ammo.

Last edited by unit1069; 11-03-2012 at 22:03..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:47   #6
SJ 40

When it comes to bulk 22 lr plinking ammo every time Dicks has the Remington Golden Bullet 525 ct. boxes on sale I grab one. I have yet to not have it run well from any of my 22's,no FTF's and in the guns that really like it excellent accuracy. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:51   #7
michael e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
When it comes to bulk 22 lr plinking ammo every time Dicks has the Remington Golden Bullet 525 ct. boxes on sale I grab one. I have yet to not have it run well from any of my 22's,no FTF's and in the guns that really like it excellent accuracy. SJ 40
This is what I use, runs in all 11 of my 22s . Only brand I have found that will run in them all.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:58   #8
ditto1958

None of my 22's are picky. I try to stay away from ammo that burns really dirty. Otherwise, I try to shoot the cheapest I can buy.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41   #9
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

The bulk Winchester and Federal boxes from Walmart are some of my favorites, and my Ruger MkIIIs like it too! It is inexpensive and shoots without issue for me. For real reliability there are always the CCI MiniMags.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:17   #10
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
Greetings,

A couple of days ago I had an itch to shoot some .22's. I have a Savage mark II BXP rifle with a Bushnell scope and a Colt Gold Cup 1911 Government model w/5" barrel and the ammo I had was the Federal bulk pack stuff, CCI Stinger & Velocitor rounds. Everything cycled fine with the exception of just a few of the Federal's in my Colt pistol.

I was wondering what do you folks like to shoot when you hit the range for .22 LR time? The ones I mentioned above is my usual ammo but I would like to try something different.

Any suggestions?
CCI .22lr is awesome.

Stingers and Velocitors would not be my choice for the range due to lack of accuracy. Mini Mags have enough oomph to run even dirty semi autos, virtually never fail to fire (mine never have), and are reasonably accurate.

CCI Standard Velocity is a good inexpensive target round, especially if you get the stuff packaged in the less expensive boxes vs the expensive plastic.

Federal seems to be the better bulk pack. I understand Remington upgraded theirs, but I refuse to buy it after they marketed the absolute POS that was the "Golden Bullet" for so long.

Wolf Match Target is an excellent target round for the money.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:59   #11
SCmasterblaster

My Ruger Mk II

likes the CCI Green tag.
Old 11-04-2012, 15:35   #12
Kentguy

I stopped by my favorite ammo shop and picked up some Wolf match target and CCI mini-mags for something else to run down the range.

Thanks for all the suggestions I have just a few more that I want to buy and try out like Winchester brand. They have several different types and I have had some good reports on several of them.

Another brand I have heard some good things about is the Aguila SuperMaximum Hyper Velocity 30g rounds.

Has anyone shot the CCI "Segmented" HP rounds?
Old 11-04-2012, 19:18   #13
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Through my Ruger Mark II 6 7/8" pistol I've found that the Federal bulk pack ammo is the most reliable for cheap range ammo.

All the Speer CCI ammo in Mini-Mag, Stinger, and Velocitor has been reliable when you step up to the premium .22lr ammo.
I also have a Ruger MkII 6 7/8" and your ammo choices match mine exactly.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:25   #14
rv4driver

As a Bullseye shooter, I've tested a lot of brands and types in my guns, and haven't found anything to exceed the reliability or accuracy of CCI Standard Velocity. It won't lock the slide back on my Hammerli on the last shot, so it is too weak for some semi-autos, I'm sure, but it does cycle every round. I've tried the CCI Green Tag and didn't see any difference in reliability or accuracy over the cheaper Standard Velocity (in my gun...). It's sub-sonic so probably not good for semi-auto pistols.
Wolf Match Target is just as accurate, smells different.
The regular CCI stuff is a bit stouter for semi-autos, and is almost as accurate as the Standard Velocity in my shooting. I use Peters 500 round high velocity bulk packs (brown box) for training and general plinking. Great ammo and great pricing.

The only thing I will not buy is Remington Bulk pack stuff.
Once bitten, ya' know.
rv4driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:07   #15
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv4driver View Post
As a Bullseye shooter, I've tested a lot of brands and types in my guns, and haven't found anything to exceed the reliability or accuracy of CCI Standard Velocity. It won't lock the slide back on my Hammerli on the last shot, so it is too weak for some semi-autos, I'm sure, but it does cycle every round. I've tried the CCI Green Tag and didn't see any difference in reliability or accuracy over the cheaper Standard Velocity (in my gun...). It's sub-sonic so probably not good for semi-auto pistols.
Wolf Match Target is just as accurate, smells different.
The regular CCI stuff is a bit stouter for semi-autos, and is almost as accurate as the Standard Velocity in my shooting. I use Peters 500 round high velocity bulk packs (brown box) for training and general plinking. Great ammo and great pricing.

The only thing I will not buy is Remington Bulk pack stuff.
Once bitten, ya' know.
There sure is a wide variety of .22 LR ammo.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13   #16
Batesmotel

My overall favorite is Winchester Super X 40 Grain Standard Velocity.

In my S&W 41 I only shoot Federal Gold Medal or Eley Tenex.
My wife's Browning Buchmark 5.5 Match Likes most Match ammo.

When I hunted rabbit a lot I would sometimes run CCI Stingers or Mini-Mags in a Browning A Bolt.

With the Boy Scouts we received a massive shipment if CCI Standard Velocity Factory Seconds as a grant/donation. Other than a slightly higher than normal rate of bad primers they shoot great.

Last edited by Batesmotel; 11-05-2012 at 09:54..
Batesmotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:23   #17
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
There sure is a wide variety of .22 LR ammo.
Testing .22LR ammo in a variety of guns can become a hobby in it's self. Tons of fun and not too expensive.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:46   #18
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Federal bulk pack is my favorite for my S & W 22S, 7" bbl.. Very reliable and rarely a FTF.

I quit buying Remington bulk pack when I had so many FTF in each pack. Every 5th or 6th shell, and repeated firing pin strikes had no effect. I finally pulled the bullets in some of the FTF and found no primers in them. After that, I will not touch Remington at any price.

My gun is more accurate than I am so no comments on the ammunition accuracy.

I shoot .22 at about 50 to 75 feet (range max).

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 14:03   #19
collim1
Shower Time!

The Savage MKII is an awesome .22LR bolt gun. Mine loves CCI Blazer .22 and shoots it better than any other I have tried, except match grade stuff. I dont compete, so my .22 is for fun and occasional squirrel/rabbit hunting after deer season ends.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 15:24   #20
SCmasterblaster

If I had to pick one, though, it would be the Federal JHP bulk pack.
Old 11-05-2012, 15:28   #21
klmmicro

Send a message via Yahoo to klmmicro

CCI Mini-Mags are the most consistent out of my Buckmark and 10/22 in terms of velocity. They are accurate and seem to be plentiful in my area. That said, I will shoot Federal and Remington bulk stuff if just out kickin up dust and knockin pebbles. MM's for target use.

*10 Ring, MBR and Reloading Clubs: #436*
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 15:29   #22
klmmicro

Send a message via Yahoo to klmmicro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
Testing .22LR ammo in a variety of guns can become a hobby in it's self. Tons of fun and not too expensive.
This is truth!

*10 Ring, MBR and Reloading Clubs: #436*
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 15:30   #23
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmmicro View Post
CCI Mini-Mags are the most consistent out of my Buckmark and 10/22 in terms of velocity. They are accurate and seem to be plentiful in my area. That said, I will shoot Federal and Remington bulk stuff if just out kickin up dust and knockin pebbles. MM's for target use.
I like CCIMMs, also.
Old 11-11-2012, 20:45   #24
dougader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv4driver View Post
I use Peters 500 round high velocity bulk packs (brown box) for training and general plinking. Great ammo and great pricing.
I bought a couple bricks of this stuff on sale and didn't think it would be anything more that cheap plinking ammo. So I was surpised when I turned in this 50 yard group with my 10/22. My pinky is there for comparison. About 1" at 50 yards. Not bad for bargain basement ammo and a stock 10/22.

Caliber Corner

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson

Last edited by dougader; 11-11-2012 at 20:46..
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 21:41   #25
Inebriated

I like Federal Automatch a lot.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote