Everybody has a buddy who is an ex-seal or ex-delta
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 15:36   #77
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
He's not 'ex-Delta', he's still with them...currently training SF so he can be home and raise his daughters (his wife was killed in an auto accident a couple years ago). If you want any verification of him being Delta, all I have to do is text him and he'll provide. I'm not military, so you'll have to be specific in what you want to know.

Last edited by tantrix; 11-02-2012 at 16:08..
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 15:40   #78
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Quote:
Brave men who go through training 99% of us here wouldn't be able to complete. Who cares who is better as long as they are both giving extreme islamists dirt naps. God bless them.
Amen to that
Old 11-02-2012, 15:43   #79
Batesmotel

Quote:
I know a SEAL, met a few more and trained with a few.
Know a bunch of SF, a couple of Rangers and met a couple of Delta guys. I know a lot of Marine Snipers and a couple of old Recon guys. Know a couple spooks from various alphabet agencies and some "civilians" and I don't even want to know who they really work for.

That pales in comparison to the hordes of grunts, cooks, clerks, mechanics, pilots, technicians Etc I know.

In reality many people know someone who was in the black bag world but don't realize it. those guys are pretty tight lipped. I knew a SEAL for about 6 months before I even knew he was in the Navy. Because of his post Navy career I assumed he was in the medical field. Then he said something that made me question him about it. I had no idea.
Old 11-02-2012, 16:14   #80
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
Ever watch MASH? When hawkeye picks up BJ with Radar in tow?
Yeah, but I'm not sure others realize it is a real rank within Zebra group of Delta Force
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 16:16   #81
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
Did they let you shoot their DD-214? How awesome was that? A blast I bet.
They use pellet guns because of stealth and greater range as long as you can correctly read the wind.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 16:41   #82
tuica

Whoever's the best - I'm damn glad they protect the nation. My appreciative, and humble salute to you all. Cheers.
Old 11-02-2012, 16:55   #83
Nestor
Lean & Mean

I don't know any of them, but would be honored to shake their hands and buy them a cold one...any day of the week. Respect.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 16:59   #84
AA_Khost

To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.- Thomas Jefferson
AA_Khost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 17:27   #85
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
A lot of Army and Navy veterans have served and worked with Spec Ops in one capacity or another and have friends in such units. It's not as uncommon as some would think.

There are also a lot of legitimate former SEALS, DELTA, GBs and such in the civilian world as well. Turnover in such units is staggeringly high just due to the intense, physical demands of the work and it's almost scary how many such soldiers wind up out of the military on disability due to things as simple as blown knees, injured backs and other physical consequences of the ongoing training alone.

Last edited by tsmo1066; 11-02-2012 at 17:28..
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 17:30   #86
Ruggles

I don't think it is wrong to compare them, heck it's a way of honoring them to me. The same thing folks do with star football players in the same positions. Debating who is "best" is a form of flattery to them all IMO.

Nobody is posting comparisons about who is the best poster on GT are they? There is a reason for that

I have always respected the SAS as well, those boys play hard from everything I have every read, seen or heard.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 17:34   #87
k9medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
Not all the time.
Agreed. All of my buddies that have been involved have done at least some time contracting though for at least a year to pay off bills.

All are unassuming though.

I also forgot to add the PJ's to the aforementioned list.

Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 17:45   #88
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
A lot of Army and Navy veterans have served and worked with Spec Ops in one capacity or another and have friends in such units. It's not as uncommon as some would think.

There are also a lot of legitimate former SEALS, DELTA, GBs and such in the civilian world as well. Turnover in such units is staggeringly high just due to the intense, physical demands of the work and it's almost scary how many such soldiers wind up out of the military on disability due to things as simple as blown knees, injured backs and other physical consequences of the ongoing training alone.
That's true, and even with the National Guard. Two SF groups, the 19th and 20th, are completely ARNG, as is one Air Force Special Tactics Squadron (the 123rd; part of KY ANG, and composed of PJs and Combat Controllers (an often-forgotten part of USAF SOF)). I personally have a friend in a support position with 20th group, and know quite a few with SF combat patches from operating in support of SF while deployed. I work with several Navy EOD types that worked on the fringes of special operations (verified; this is a federal LE agency). It's not as uncommon as you think. A lot of people like to BS it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 17:49   #89
k9medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
I personally have a friend in a support position with 20th group,
We may have a friend in common if this is the case. SOD-C?

Old 11-02-2012, 17:57   #90
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
It's not as uncommon as you think. A lot of people like to BS it, though.
VERY true.

I have a close friend that I went through Basic with who wound up retiring from the Green Berets as a Sergeant Major after 22 years of service. He was joking with me a couple of years ago in Florida that if he counted up all of the d-bags he had met around Naples since retirement who claimed to be former Spec Ops, it would likely add up to more than the number he actually served with during his years in the Army!

My friend, BTW, is now enjoying his second career...as a home security system consultant for wealthy Florida retirees and executives and is making BANK doing it!
Old 11-02-2012, 18:19   #91
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
We may have a friend in common if this is the case. SOD-C?
I think so. Last I saw, he was an E4 that still hadn't done jump school, though he had done Air Assault. It's whatever the KY ARNG intel support section is. We were in another (now disbanded) unit together, and went different ways when that unit was disbanded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 18:32   #92
k9medic

My buddy is 20th SFG like yours but in FL not KY.

Back to your regularly scheduled debate...

Old 11-02-2012, 19:31   #93
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
He's not 'ex-Delta', he's still with them...currently training SF so he can be home and raise his daughters (his wife was killed in an auto accident a couple years ago). If you want any verification of him being Delta, all I have to do is text him and he'll provide. I'm not military, so you'll have to be specific in what you want to know.
So your buddy spent years training to become a member of one of the most classified units in the Army. A unit that the Army doesn't acknowledge to exist (and expects its members to do the same), but he told you anyway, and regularly regales you with stories of his exploits after a few beers?

On top of that, all you have to do is text him, and he will provide verification for a bunch of strangers on an internet forum?

Does this sound believable to you when put into this context?
The Fist Of Goodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 19:52   #94
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist Of Goodness View Post
So your buddy spent years training to become a member of one of the most classified units in the Army. A unit that the Army doesn't acknowledge to exist (and expects its members to do the same), but he told you anyway, and regularly regales you with stories of his exploits after a few beers?

On top of that, all you have to do is text him, and he will provide verification for a bunch of strangers on an internet forum?

Does this sound believable to you when put into this context?
He's probably told me lots of things he shouldn't have...he's a good friend. And no, he doesn't just go into stories after a few beers...he doesn't really talk about much of what he's done overseas unless I ask about it. But again, if you want to know anything regarding his credibility, just ask...he'll provide at least as much as they let him provide, I'm sure.

I put it this way...he's told me things and 6-8 months later it was on Fox news. As in, he was there when it happened and us 'normal' people didn't hear anything until half a year later.

Last edited by tantrix; 11-02-2012 at 19:56..
Old 11-02-2012, 19:55   #95
JBUS
I'mHellaJelly!

Meh....my lil bro was Force Recon up till '06. Even with my security clearance neither lil bro or BIL even talk bout things they shouldn't be talking about.

And I don't blame them. I don't talk tell my fiancée much either. My lil bro doesn't ask me too. Just a quiet understanding to not ask.

Last edited by JBUS; 11-02-2012 at 19:58..
JBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 19:59   #96
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBUS View Post
Meh....my lil bro was Force Recon up till '06. Even with my security clearance neither lil bro or BIL even talk bout things they shouldn't be talking about.

And neither do I....
Yeah, supposedly you can get into big trouble. I don't repeat anything he's told me, to anyone, ever.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:12   #97
Shagrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
I don't think it is wrong to compare them, heck it's a way of honoring them to me. The same thing folks do with star football players in the same positions. Debating who is "best" is a form of flattery to them all IMO.

Nobody is posting comparisons about who is the best poster on GT are they? There is a reason for that

I have always respected the SAS as well, those boys play hard from everything I have every read, seen or heard.
Delta was the brainchild of Charlie Beckwith. He served on exchange with the SAS and was instrumental in getting the US to re-think special ops strategy.
Shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 18:22   #98
owl6roll

Send a message via AIM to owl6roll
I have met only one SEAL, but he started out a Ranger. Very nice guy. Whe he talks about his military career, he mostly talks about his Ranger days. He's a good shot, too!
Old 11-03-2012, 18:40   #99
johnson8861
Daddo Chomper

Not a real apples to apples comparison, I would compare Seals to US Army Special Forces, also I would compare DEVGRU, to the Delta Force. What is really amazing is that they both come online with a year or so of each other.
Old 11-03-2012, 18:42   #100
johnson8861
Daddo Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
He's probably told me lots of things he shouldn't have...he's a good friend. And no, he doesn't just go into stories after a few beers...he doesn't really talk about much of what he's done overseas unless I ask about it. But again, if you want to know anything regarding his credibility, just ask...he'll provide at least as much as they let him provide, I'm sure.

I put it this way...he's told me things and 6-8 months later it was on Fox news. As in, he was there when it happened and us 'normal' people didn't hear anything until half a year later.
I'm going to call bs, proof or GTFO.