Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-14-2012, 18:04   #1
BBSRQ

G23 Gen 3 Frame--->G19 Slide?

I have G23 but I use it almost exclusively with a LWD 40-9 conversion barrel. I keep going back and forth between keeping it as is or swapping for G19. I'm thinking about reloading so the LWD alternative doesn't sound as appealing. Can I find a G19 slide and mount it on my G23 frame? Any issues with this or is it just not that simple?
BBSRQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 16:56   #2
tacticalG23
Darkside Member

The only difference would be the ejector. May or may not cause any ejection issues.
Pennsylvania Glockers: #244
كافر
tacticalG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 21:04   #3
cciman

Yes, it is that simple. Though not needed with the conversion barrel you already own.

The G23 ejector will work great with the G19 slide also, but not the other way around.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 17:29   #4
BBSRQ

Thanks for the help. Now the tricky part, how do you find someone that has a G19 slide only? Can they be purchased right from Glock?
Old 10-17-2012, 19:36   #5
cciman

You buy a used "complete G19 upper", or "G19 slide assembly" about $250 to $275

Look for it off on gunbroker or even the classifieds here-- be patient.

Again, why?? if you already have the conversion barrel and it is working? What's the point?
Old 10-17-2012, 19:39   #6
shotgunred
reloading nut

the 9mm, 40sw and 357 sig all use the same frame.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 13:05   #7
BBSRQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
You buy a used "complete G19 upper", or "G19 slide assembly" about $250 to $275

Look for it off on gunbroker or even the classifieds here-- be patient.

Again, why?? if you already have the conversion barrel and it is working? What's the point?
I have a couple of reasons but none of them are pressing. First, is that I understand that if I want to try some competitive stuff, I can't use a conversion barrel (and I mostly practice with 9mm) and the second reason is related to the 9mm...from what I've been able to see, I can reload at almost half the price of buying so I'm thinking about reloading. And, again from what I've read, the conversion barrel isn't very tolerant of reloaded cartridges.
Old 10-19-2012, 17:04   #8
cciman

Hmmm...OK... look for a used upper assembly.

I'm not conversant on rules for competition.

Just upfront, I do not reload. Not worth it for me in terms of front end equipment costs, storage and workspace, picking up brass, cleaning, ingredient cost (factoring in shipping costs), consistency of product considerations, and time involved to do it... done the math, savings-- if any, is just not for me. The conversion barrel should be just as good with reloads (if not better), especially with lead bullets used for reloads. I buy and shoot massive quantities of practice ammo (usually Wolf, and or factory reloads from ammo houses, depending on caliber and purpose-- check and compare pricing: Jack Ross and Freedom Munitions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSRQ View Post
I have a couple of reasons but none of them are pressing. First, is that I understand that if I want to try some competitive stuff, I can't use a conversion barrel (and I mostly practice with 9mm) and the second reason is related to the 9mm...from what I've been able to see, I can reload at almost half the price of buying so I'm thinking about reloading. And, again from what I've read, the conversion barrel isn't very tolerant of reloaded cartridges.
Old 10-19-2012, 18:45   #9
.38 super
Observer

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Now the tricky part, how do you find someone that has a G19 slide only? Can they be purchased right from Glock?
I purchased G22 from Ed's Public safety, few days later I called them and ask for used complete slide for G17. They found one, price was about the same that the gentleman above mentioned.
I would recommend you to call them, they are great, excellent service, if you cannot search for the phone number, I'll try to dig it out from my email and will PM it to you.
...I live in SRQ, if you have any problems puting the project together, you can give me a call, we can meet at Take Aim and I'll be happy to help with whatever I can. Whatever I cannot do, they got some good guys there, that can help, Mike I believe is a Glock armorer, you can ask for him there, he can help.
Florida Glockers Club #1964
Калашников Клуб №1000
.38 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:10   #10
BBSRQ

I talked with a local gunsmith who I think is very knowledgeable about my plan. I know he's not a huge Glock fan but he told me that Glock factory barrels tend to fail at a higher rate with reloads (that may be true of all barrels?) and he said that Glock will refuse to honor the warranty if they suspect reloads were used.

I don't know...maybe I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope that ammo prices come down after the election.
Old 10-20-2012, 17:50   #11
cciman

The amount of money spent on ammo to wear out a barrel will totally eclipse the cost of a replacement barrel, as well as the cost of the gun itself..

The polygonal rifling of the Glock was designed for FMJ. The LW barrel will do better with lead reloads.

Relax, and go shoot.... tell us when you wear out a barrel.
Old 10-21-2012, 21:11   #12
.38 super
Observer

Quote:
I talked with a local gunsmith who I think is very knowledgeable about my plan. I know he's not a huge Glock fan but he told me that Glock factory barrels tend to fail at a higher rate with reloads (that may be true of all barrels?) and he said that Glock will refuse to honor the warranty if they suspect reloads were used.

I don't know...maybe I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope that ammo prices come down after the election.
I was looking for someone around to check my old 1911 style .38super, do you mind sending me the contact info of this gunsmith, the closest-one I found was in Tampa…

If the one you found is in Sarasota, I would really appreciate if you get his contact info for me…

In regard of the ammo, when I buy online, I usually use http://www.ammoengine.com/ to get the lowest price, otherwise I got very good experience with Georgia Arms ammo - http://georgia-arms.com/index.aspx, I usually buy a box or two of the 500 or 1000 at the gun show in Palmetto, at the Manatee Civic center (http://www.gunshowstoday.com/venue/m...-civic-center/), I shot probably 3-4K of their 9mm and .40 ammo and never had any problemsrelated…

Reloadingis good, I’m about to get a press and start doing it but reloading 9mm will give you almost the same price as if you buy it from the store, I’m not sure if it’s worth the hassle… I am getting a different caliber, probably 10mm or .45and also I’m interested of getting a can for my Sig so reloading will give me chance to play with the ammo for it… If it was only for reloading 9mm, I would not probably do it…

In regard of the resource of your barrel… I’m positive you will not be able to wear it out…
Very common misconception is that Glock’s barrel is polygonal, in fact it is with conventional rifling that have the edges of the hills intentionally “worn” .

In this case barrel handles better lot more wear, especially when the inside of Glock’s barrels are treated with Tenifer. Another fact is that Glock did not do originally his barrels for himself, they were developed for him by a small Austrian company, that presented 2 projects for barrel rifling to Gaston and he picked the second-one, the one with the “worn” hills because he wanted to have as much as maintenance free and reliable gun, so that’s why Glocks barrels lasts longer than conventional rifled barrels…

True polygonal barrels have H&K for example, but not Glock…

Glock will not honor the warranty of a damaged gun if you shoot lead bullets, however Glock barrels handle perfectly lead bullets when they are hard cast, also – they do not wear the barrel, the problem with the lead and Glock barrels is the same problem any other gun will have – lead fouling, that can cause overpressure and blow the barrel or the gun…I don’t shoot lead trough my Glock but I know tons of people that do it withoutany issues
Florida Glockers Club #1964
Калашников Клуб №1000
.38 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 22:19   #13
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:

Glock will honer their warranty even if you shoot reloads. They did mine and I was very upfront about shooting reloads. Some of my glocks have never seen a factory load. However if you screw up a reload and blow up a gun that's not glocks fault.

Quote:
I can reload at almost half the price of buying so I'm thinking about reloading. And, again from what I've read, the conversion barrel isn't very tolerant of reloaded cartridges.
10-17-2012 18:39
Lone wolf barrels tend to be 3K on an inch tighter than glock barrels in 40 sw. Any barrel should get 100K round through it in its life. Yes you can reload 9mm for half the price of new ammo, more for more expensive ammo. I have shot a few k reloads through my Lone wolf barrel and it works fine. It doesn't sound like your gun smith knows a lot about glocks.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 20:09   #14
DEJ/FL

Send a message via ICQ to DEJ/FL
Check with Glockmeister, they have slides for sale.

Dan
CGAA
It was the JERK behind the trigger!!
DEJ/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 21:39   #15
Mark Housel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ/FL View Post
Check with Glockmeister, they have slides for sale.

Dan
They have slides for sale, but are NEVER in stock.
I talked to them some time ago about this. According to the person I spoke with, they buy only whole guns from Glock.

The result is that the only time they have a slide available is when someone buys a bare frame leaving a slide available.
This is particularly limiting on the more popular models (G17/G19).

"I have learned that wisdom can be as simple as substituting facts for assumptions."

Last edited by Mark Housel; 11-01-2012 at 20:59..
Mark Housel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:14   #16
ImpeachObama
Fuhgettaboutit

You can buy a quality Lone Wolf conversion barrel and it will love reloads, or another decent brand. I reload and the stock barrels have no problem with them, but I don't use lead. I use jacketed bullets. If your patient, in a month or two, you should find a G19 slide or upper here on GT classifieds. I happen to have a G23 upper on a G19 slide and go back and forth for the heck of it. I have loved my G19 forever, but when I did the G23, it was really magic.
ImpeachObama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 13:11   #17
DEJ/FL

Send a message via ICQ to DEJ/FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpeachObama View Post
I happen to have a G23 upper on a G19 slide
????

Dan
CGAA
It was the JERK behind the trigger!!
DEJ/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 20:32   #18
ImpeachObama
Fuhgettaboutit

Yep, that's what I said. Yo, was'sup.
ImpeachObama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:45   #19
Rich2279

Quote:
I have G23 but I use it almost exclusively with a LWD 40-9 conversion barrel. I keep going back and forth between keeping it as is or swapping for G19. I'm thinking about reloading so the LWD alternative doesn't sound as appealing. Can I find a G19 slide and mount it on my G23 frame? Any issues with this or is it just not that simple?
I sent an you an email about a swap. Let me know.

Rich
Rich2279 is offline   Reply With Quote