Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:43   #1
Ranski

Why not lower the ejection port?

While reading up on the Gen 4 BTF / erratic ejection problems, I found forum posts (not all on this forum) by Randy Lee of Apex, and others, claiming that the ejection port is at least part of the issue, and that the gun would eject better if the port was lowered, like on most 1911s.

However, I have not read tons of posts with pictures of lowered Glock ejection ports. In fact, most of the very little info I turn up when searching, involves lowering the port when adding a red dot mount.

So why have more people not done this? If you personally have had ejection issues that you couldn't fix by swapping parts, why have you not lowered your ejection port?
Ranski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:50   #2
DocWills

It is the answer as we found long ago with the 1911, however since is was a recent issue as opposed to the 1911 most refuse. I polish off the new extractors and clean up the slide slot for the extractor.Pretty much just like a 1911 too, except its external. Its actually ammo related as it pretty much doesnt do anyhing.

I keep looking for a gun thats really bad on ejection to do the port on.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:52   #3
dhgeyer

Google "Glock slide crack". There are numerous reports of same, usually (but not always) with high round count guns. But when they crack, under the ejection port is where they do it. For this reason I would never do anything to weaken that area.
dhgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:12   #4
DocWills

I think it would be ok round cut, however I agree about possibly ruining a slide. I think enough materiel could be found inside the cut to do it without cutting slide mass.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:26   #5
di11igaf
ibew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWills View Post
It is the answer as we found long ago with the 1911, however since is was a recent issue as opposed to the 1911 most refuse. I polish off the new extractors and clean up the slide slot for the extractor.Pretty much just like a 1911 too, except its external. Its actually ammo related as it pretty much doesnt do anyhing.

I keep looking for a gun thats really bad on ejection to do the port on.
What's ammo related, BTF issues?
If you are saying btf is ammo related, what would you like to see. You tell me the ammo, ill show you my gen 3 ejecting at 6:00 or to the left.
124 NATO
135+p critical duty
124+p gold dots
115 critical defense
Multiple hydra-shok loads
124 lawman
147 AE
124 AE
115 FC crap
WWB
these all ejected roughly the same, and I have vids for pretty much all of these that I've posted in the past.
My gen 4 ejects all of these to the right

As for lowering the ejection port, will it help? Maybe. But it will also completely kill the warranty, and possibly make it hard to sell. If you lowered the port, and the problem persists, then you're royally f$%*ed

Last edited by di11igaf; 10-31-2012 at 11:28..
di11igaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:25   #6
dhgeyer

If I remember correctly, back in the day when people were lowering ejection ports on 1911 and 1911 A1 pistols, the ports were quite small to begin with. People lowered them to the point where they looked about like modern pistols do now as manufactured. I did that to a Colt 1911 A1 I had years ago. Of course one wouldn't think of doing that now to a valuable old gun like that. Back then they were cheap and easy to get.

Another point is that 1911 and 1911 A1 slides were machined forgings, which are stronger per unit of mass than investment castings, which I expect is how Glock makes their slides.

Another reason people may not lower their ejection ports very often is that, unless you have a well equipped machine shop, it's either hand work or a Dremel tool. It's not a job many people would tackle. You would have to have someone like Randy Lee do it, and that would not be very cost effective. On the other hand, with a Glock it's quite easy to swap parts in and out. Doing a little polishing here and there isn't all that hard either. So, that's what people try first.

These, and the other reasons people mentioned above are, I suspect, why you don't see it done very often.

None of this is to say that it wouldn't work. It might. But, at least with the Gen4 guns, there seem to be other avenues that work with less cost, risk, and work.

Last edited by dhgeyer; 10-31-2012 at 12:29..
dhgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:31   #7
voyager4520
-----

That's the weakest part of the slide. I'd rather change the angle of ejection with ejector and extractor modifications. A 28926 ejector and an old non-LCI 15 degree extractor fixed the ejection in my Gen3 G27.

Tags
btf, ejection, extractor, glock