GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-27-2012, 20:20   #1
mrstrau

Sending my WASR 10/63 to the gunsmith...

I'm sending my AK to the gunsmith to fix a minor front site post cant on the rifle.

I am also having him install new sights since he'll be messing around the front site post.

I have two questions, that I would appreciate some feed back on.

My barrel is not threaded, or at least if it is it is welded and pinned due to being NYS compliant. I was thinking of having a muzzle break/flash suppressor installed. Any suggestions for any good ones? I have little knowledge of breaks/flash suppressors because if they aren't pinned, they are illegal in NY (Which he will do after installing the break)

Second Question:

I'm ordering a Kreb's custom rear peep sight. I was originally thinking of installing that with a tritium front sight bar from XS sights. However, my local gun shop owners, who own rifles with that setup, advised against it. They say that for close, quick sight acquisition its great, but the front sight bar is too big for the rear peep and past 50 or so yards, its amazingly difficult to aim.

Any suggestions on a good front sight that works well with Kreb's custom rear aperture sights?

Thanks,
mrstrau
Old 10-28-2012, 09:36   #2
maxxmojo

1) There's quite a few different options in regards to muzzle devices you could opt for. It all depends on what kind of performance you want out of them; flash suppression, recoil compensation, and/or braking muzzle rise. It also largely depends on how much you're willing to spend. I'm a big fan of the PWS FSC47 for 7.62x39 AK's with 14x1 LH threading, though some people refuse to pay that much for a muzzle device for their AK.

2) In regards to front sight posts, anything you get that has a tritium bar or some kind of mark on it is going to be good for close aiming, but not that great for any kind of distance aiming. On the other side of the spectrum, any kind of thin or fine front sight post will be great for distances but not very quick for close stuff. You could probably try using your original sight post and use a bright paint marker to mark a thin part of the the top of it or you could try something like this.
maxxmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:02   #3
the monk

1) How much do you want to spend and are you concerned with flash suppression or recoil management? Even though its a AR site there is a good list of options here so you can get an idea on price - http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Flash...ators-s/43.htm. I just did this and went with a Battlecomp 2.0. List of all I had my smith do here - http://fleetingsurvival.com/2012/10/...art-6-rebirth/

2) If this is a SHTF rifle I think the tritium front sight bar is an excellent idea. I am not a fan of the peep on an AK. My buddy got one and he no longer runs it. If its a SHTF rifle I would recommend a red dot but understand if you are not into that.

Certified Glock Armorer
the monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 19:59   #4
mrstrau

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxmojo View Post
1) There's quite a few different options in regards to muzzle devices you could opt for. It all depends on what kind of performance you want out of them; flash suppression, recoil compensation, and/or braking muzzle rise. It also largely depends on how much you're willing to spend. I'm a big fan of the PWS FSC47 for 7.62x39 AK's with 14x1 LH threading, though some people refuse to pay that much for a muzzle device for their AK.

2) In regards to front sight posts, anything you get that has a tritium bar or some kind of mark on it is going to be good for close aiming, but not that great for any kind of distance aiming. On the other side of the spectrum, any kind of thin or fine front sight post will be great for distances but not very quick for close stuff. You could probably try using your original sight post and use a bright paint marker to mark a thin part of the the top of it or you could try something like this.

I'm looking for a mixture...the WASR has totally manageable recoil in my opinion...I'm not a big guy, about 5'10" around 180. Its more about flash reduction than felt recoil, although my girl would probably like a bit of recoil reduction. My only concern is NYS...I'm not sure what they consider legal or not legal, weird, stupid ass laws.

Anyway I think the link you sent me was the flash suppressor my guys at my local gun shop suggested.

As for the sights, I suppose I'll have to do more research.
Old 10-29-2012, 19:15   #5
maxxmojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstrau View Post
I'm looking for a mixture...the WASR has totally manageable recoil in my opinion...I'm not a big guy, about 5'10" around 180. Its more about flash reduction than felt recoil, although my girl would probably like a bit of recoil reduction. My only concern is NYS...I'm not sure what they consider legal or not legal, weird, stupid ass laws.

Anyway I think the link you sent me was the flash suppressor my guys at my local gun shop suggested.

As for the sights, I suppose I'll have to do more research.
Yeah I believe "flash suppressors" are a no-no in NY state, though you'd want to obviously check. The FSC47 however isn't classified as one as it just keeps the flash inside the brake and doesn't eliminate it all together. That combined with the muzzle braking/recoil compensation just makes it really nice.
maxxmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 19:44   #6
mrstrau

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxmojo View Post
Yeah I believe "flash suppressors" are a no-no in NY state, though you'd want to obviously check. The FSC47 however isn't classified as one as it just keeps the flash inside the brake and doesn't eliminate it all together. That combined with the muzzle braking/recoil compensation just makes it really nice.
It is amazingly good looking too. I think this will probably work, although I'll do just a bit more looking around.

Thanks for the input,
Mrstrau

Tags
custom, front, gunsmith, kreb's, sight