Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 19:22   #41
Nestor
Lean & Mean

Thank You so much. Very informative thread and helped me a lot I believe. I have not much experience with the Glock pistols, but currently looking for model 22. I'm planning to join the local LE agency in the future, so familiarizing myself with this pistol sounds like a good idea. I have a pretty good choice of the models - generation 2, generation 3, generation 3 RTF2 and generation 4.
I'm torn between generation 2 and 4 now
Don't like the finger grooves, but the newest models suppose to deal with the recoil better.
Anyway, again - your information is great and very helpful.
Thanks

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:27   #42
DJ Niner

Thanks for the kind words. I hope you don't mind if I offer a few personal observations on the various Glock models, relating to your upcoming choice.

Having owned/used/carried a Gen2 G19 for almost 10 years, when I first grabbed a Gen3, the fingergrooves felt out-of-place to me, too. But when shooting the Gen2 rapidly, I had always seen a tendency for it to slowly work its way upward until my grip was compromised. It was worse when the gun was mid-winter-in-Fargo cold, or when my hand and the environment were both hot/humid. The fingergrooves really help lock the Glock into position in my hand, even when conditions aren't favorable for rapid firing. After firing just a few magazines, I was hooked, and I've never looked back. I keep a Gen1 and Gen2 around just for old times' sake, but for fast/serious shooting, Gen3 and 4 are simply better, IMO. The only exception is if your hand is so very large or small that the fingergrooves force an unnatural position of your fingers, like thin fingers spread widely apart, or thick fingers jammed together and riding on TOP of the ridges between the grooves.

The gripping surface of the Gen4 guns is fairly aggressive, and some folks don't like it for just that reason. It can be hard on clothes, seats, and any muffin-top fat rolls a person might have hanging over their belt. But it really shines where it counts, keeping that grip solid in your hand when shooting rapidly. The Gen3 RTF2 is also pretty rough, but it is a bit more fine-grained; some like it over the Gen4, but I think I'd still choose a Gen4 if I could only have one.

Before I sold it, I got a chance to shoot my old Gen3 model 22 in .40 side-by-side with my new Gen4 model 22. The snappy recoil was definitely easier to control with the Gen4, and I felt it was slightly less bouncy to begin with, probably due to the new dual recoil spring. I was sold on the .40 caliber Gen4s from that point on, and I will probably upgrade my G35 and G27 to Gen4 models at sometime in the future.

Good luck and good shooting with whatever you choose!

Last edited by DJ Niner; 12-10-2013 at 19:36.. Reason: Speling eror.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:08   #43
ca survivor

great post, thanks
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:56   #44
tnhawk

Thanks for an informative post Several questions I had were answered here.
tnhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:24   #45
Nestor
Lean & Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I hope you don't mind if I offer a few personal observations on the various Glock models, relating to your upcoming choice.

Having owned/used/carried a Gen2 G19 for almost 10 years, when I first grabbed a Gen3, the fingergrooves felt out-of-place to me, too. But when shooting the Gen2 rapidly, I had always seen a tendency for it to slowly work its way upward until my grip was compromised. It was worse when the gun was mid-winter-in-Fargo cold, or when my hand and the environment were both hot/humid. The fingergrooves really help lock the Glock into position in my hand, even when conditions aren't favorable for rapid firing. After firing just a few magazines, I was hooked, and I've never looked back. I keep a Gen1 and Gen2 around just for old times' sake, but for fast/serious shooting, Gen3 and 4 are simply better, IMO. The only exception is if your hand is so very large or small that the fingergrooves force an unnatural position of your fingers, like thin fingers spread widely apart, or thick fingers jammed together and riding on TOP of the ridges between the grooves.

The gripping surface of the Gen4 guns is fairly aggressive, and some folks don't like it for just that reason. It can be hard on clothes, seats, and any muffin-top fat rolls a person might have hanging over their belt. But it really shines where it counts, keeping that grip solid in your hand when shooting rapidly. The Gen3 RTF2 is also pretty rough, but it is a bit more fine-grained; some like it over the Gen4, but I think I'd still choose a Gen4 if I could only have one.

Before I sold it, I got a chance to shoot my old Gen3 model 22 in .40 side-by-side with my new Gen4 model 22. The snappy recoil was definitely easier to control with the Gen4, and I felt is was slightly less bouncy to begin with, probably due to the new dual recoil spring. I was sold on the .40 caliber Gen4s from that point on, and I will probably upgrade my G35 and G27 to Gen4 models at sometime in the future.

Good luck and good shooting with whatever you choose!
Thanks so much.
I may go with Gen4 in the near future if finances will allow.
I just found a deal that I couldn't pass.
Gen 2 Glock 21.
I may go for one of those grip enhancers to keep things under control.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.

Last edited by Nestor; 10-27-2012 at 01:25..
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:35   #46
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
Thanks so much.
I may go with Gen4 in the near future if finances will allow.
I just found a deal that I couldn't pass.
Gen 2 Glock 21.
I may go for one of those grip enhancers to keep things under control.
Another great choice! Some of those Gen2 .45s shoot like fitted match-grade target weapons, once you find the load(s) they like. Congrats!

Last edited by DJ Niner; 11-30-2012 at 23:46..
Old 10-31-2012, 19:40   #47
evomike

I just bought a customized G23, it came with the hybrid barrel from KKM, aftermarket sights, and extended mag release. After reading this and other threads, I still couldn't determine what generation I have??? Serial number starts with DLU (not listed)??? it is a 3 pin, it has rail mount, and thumb rests, yet has no finger grooves on the handle? Any Glock experts out there that could help me out?
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:41   #48
DJ Niner

A Glock in the DLUxxx serial number range should be a Gen3. I would venture a guess that during the customization process, the previous owner had the finger grooves removed from the front of the frame, as none of the Gen1 or Gen2 Glocks had thumb-rests on the frame. Removal of the grooves is relatively easy to do; the challenge is making the frame look good AFTER the removal.

In checking the Serial Number Project list (another thread in this forum), there is a DLU-series G23 listed, with a born-on date of 1 Jan 2000; the list also indicates that gun is a Gen3.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 06-04-2014 at 23:05..
Old 11-20-2012, 10:12   #49
Dogman 10x

Great info.
Dogman 10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50   #50
DXThtr

Awesome stuff!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
DXThtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 22:15   #51
dvrdwn72

Ive got a few gen 4 35's. Love them. I do have a gen 2.5 27. ccgxxx. Great shooter and carry it daily. Never thought it was a 2.5 as I just figured it was a 3. I just got a great deal on a gen 2 23, blzxxx. I did notice that on the slide of my 27 it says .40sw

Last edited by dvrdwn72; 11-28-2012 at 22:20..
dvrdwn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:53   #52
im_n2_vws

Here are a couple of pictures of my G21 2.5 gen. Anyone have any idea on production numbers on the 2.5s? I heard somewhere that there were maybe 1000?

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...100_0230-1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/100_0232.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/100_0231.jpg
G-36 3rd gen
im_n2_vws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 22:19   #53
DJ Niner

No idea how many total were made. That type of info (from a reliable source) is difficult to find for Glocks. Great photos, though; thanks for posting them!

And thanks to all who have offered kind words about this thread.
I'm glad folks are finding it useful.
Old 12-09-2012, 15:35   #54
malleable

Good info
Old 12-15-2012, 08:57   #55
legalsten

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but here it is . I thought I remembered seeing many years ago , that the 9mm had smaller / shorter metal guide rails in the frame than 40 or 357 models. Therfore it was not recommended to change to a 357 or 40 slide and ejector. Did this change at some point ? Are the frames the same now other than ejector and slides ?
legalsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 22:47   #56
DJ Niner

The only recommendation I have heard along those lines, is the older 2-pin frames should not be converted to .40 or .357 (see post #2 in this thread for an image comparison of a 2-pin and 3-pin frame). The third pin stabilized the locking block better in the frame, and along with a larger/stronger locking block introduced at about the same time, greatly improved durability in the larger calibers over the long term.

The third pin was introduced somewhere in the middle of the Gen3 model run, so you will find some Gen3 9mm full-size Glocks with 2-pin frames, and some with 3-pin frames. I've always been told that 3-pin frames can be safely converted to .40 and/or .357 (given the correct parts, of course).
Old 12-16-2012, 05:47   #57
legalsten

Mine is the 3 pin design and I was guessing that somewhere down the line they simplifed by using one frame for each given size ( full , compact , sub compact ) instead of one for the 9 mm and another one for the 357 and 40 .

Thanks for the info
legalsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 23:17   #58
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsten View Post
Mine is the 3 pin design and I was guessing that somewhere down the line they simplifed by using one frame for each given size ( full , compact , sub compact ) instead of one for the 9 mm and another one for the 357 and 40 .

Thanks for the info
Checking a few Glock full-size 9mm handguns/photos that I can access, I see that by the DT* ***-series of serial numbers, there was a faint shadow mold-mark on the frame where the third pin hole would eventually be, like they were already using the 3-pin .40 frame mold, but plugging the hole for the third pin when they used it for 9mm frames. I saw the same thing in a DU* ***-series 9mm, so they still hadn't converted to the three-pin frame for the 9mm guns at the time that Glock was made. Checking the user database for date will give you an idea of when those guns were made, if you want to narrow-down the time window.
Old 01-18-2013, 23:21   #59
DJ Niner

Wow! 20,000 views in about 9 months!

Thanks again for all the kind comments I have received on this thread, and once again, I am glad folks are finding it useful.
Old 01-26-2013, 15:01   #60
GRT45
Transform & Win

This thread is a wonderful resource. Thanks for creating it.

I can contribute some information about the 45ACP and 10mm subcompact pistols, models G30 and G29, respectively.

I have noted owner/buyer reports and data in the Glock Serial Number Research Project database showing the Gen 3 versions of the G30 and G29 subcompact pistols went through a transition from Gen 3 models without an accessory rail to later Gen 3 with the accessory rail.

Before the accessory rail was added, G30 and G29 pistols were manufactured that had all the Gen3 characteristics:
  • Finger grooves on the front strap
  • Checkering in the finger grooves on the front strap
  • Thumb rests on the grip
  • Three frame pins
  • Loaded Chamber Indicator Extractor (LCI)
Therefore, I do not think it correct to assign an informal designation of Gen 2.5 (a designation that Glock, Inc. doesn't recognize officially) to the G30/G29 without an accessory rail. I believe it's more correct to simply describe the two variants as "G30/G29 Gen3 without accessory rail" and "G30/G29 Gen3 with accessory rail."

The database indicates the accessory rail first appeared on the Gen 3 G30 45ACP around June, 2005 with serial number prefix HGM.

In the database, the first record for a Gen 3 G29 10mm specifically mentioning a rail has a test fire date in February, 2006 with serial number prefix HXN. It's possible that the Gen 3 G29 had an accessory rail earlier than this date since the G29 and G30 share a common frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 02-10-2013 at 08:35..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generations