Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-25-2012, 20:08   #201
K.Kiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
The Okie Corral
Excuse my topic deviation, but the old 200 Honda 3-wheeler is in the top three of the most reliable and trouble free ATV ever to roam this planet...
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 20:09   #202
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I still ***** about the lack of humidity and how much "dry heat" sucks all these years later
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 20:10   #203
GRIMLET
Deceased

And Tantrix/La wins again!!!
This time by decision.
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 20:17   #204
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
I still ***** about the lack of humidity and how much "dry heat" sucks all these years later
what happened to "oh, it's a different kind of heat.. not like that high humidity stuff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
This time by decision.

geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 20:17   #205
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Kiser View Post
Excuse my topic deviation, but the old 200 Honda 3-wheeler is in the top three of the most reliable and trouble free ATV ever to roam this planet...
And they'd still be making them if it wasn't for the government.

I grew up on those things. God but we had some fun.
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 20:19   #206
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofri View Post
what happened to "oh, it's a different kind of heat.. not like that high humidity stuff"
's bullcrap, like being in a damn oven. Dry eyes, dry mouth, dusty.... Ugh.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 20:22   #207
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
's bullcrap, like being in a damn oven. Dry eyes, dry mouth, dusty.... Ugh.
When I went on a hiking trip in NM, man.. chapped lips, sinuses felt like they would crack, and yeah.. the dust! Drunk water like a camel!

Old 10-25-2012, 20:26   #208
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Kiser View Post
The only ATV's I will buy are 1987 or older Honda 3-wheelers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
This time by decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
And they'd still be making them if it wasn't for the government.

I grew up on those things. God but we had some fun.

Well, more like the sue-happy idiots...then of course the government soon followed.

Last edited by tantrix; 10-25-2012 at 20:28..
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 23:53   #209
77Bronc

I have lived here all of my life, college degree from LSU, best damn university there is...excellent job working for THE major oil company, getting ready to retire in next 18 months....my wife is full blooded Cajun girl....

The tax base is great, the auto insurance is insane, the hurricanes can be a pain and the heat in the summer brutal....I love it here.

Louisiana is a way of life....in my business I travel a lot and I have been all over the country and parts of the world, but after being gone for a few days, I really miss the place....like many have replied, the food is the best there is period....what some places pass for "Cajun" food should be against the law...

Very gun friendly state, special amendment on November 6 that will hopefully provide a barrier from more bull**** government gun control laws...I dont know all of the details, but will do more reading this weekend....

If you have kids, need to consider private schools unless you are in St. Tammany parish...reasonable gas prices....Mardi Gras can be fun....

Big Dawg Club Member #1283
77Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:13   #210
NOLA_glock
quietly judges.

Quote:

If you can hang with us here in LA, you're a special breed. I haven't met a Yankee yet that hasn't pissed and moaned the entire time about the heat, bugs, blah blah blah.

They usually end up quitting after being called candy-asses and sissy-boys day after day.
The best part is when you go outside in the mid 70s and get all sweaty from the humidity.

We're sticky people, here.

And yes, N.O. is dangerous, with TONS of panhandling homeless at intersections and tourist hotspots, violent crime, drugs, and trashy people in general (especially the tourists and semi-local tourists if you're in the Vieux Carré). It's also the kind of place I like -- not for those reasons, obviously. I love lots of things about New Orleans despite its flaws. As tantrix said, every city has many of the same problems.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with not liking cities, and I'd think no matter what your thing is, you'll love it here.

Maybe tantrix can give you the breakdown of the Creole/Acadian/redneck parts of the state.

ETA: I'll give another nod to our food. Some people don't know it, but Cajun and Creole cooking are two distinct styles, and both are fantastic. You'll be spoiled rotten.

ಠ_ಠ

Last edited by NOLA_glock; 10-26-2012 at 12:16..
NOLA_glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 13:03   #211
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_glock View Post
Maybe tantrix can give you the breakdown of the Creole/Acadian/redneck parts of the state.
Creole will be mostly NOLA, with some in Marksville and also Natchitoches. Cajun will be West of New Orleans all the way to the TX border (and even into SE Texas), and also in Marksville. Redneck will be pretty much everyone else who isn't of Cajun or Creole decent, usually the entire Northern part of the state...North of I-10 is a good measuring stick.

Quote:
ETA: I'll give another nod to our food. Some people don't know it, but Cajun and Creole cooking are two distinct styles, and both are fantastic. You'll be spoiled rotten.
Yep.

Anything Creole is mostly tomato based and spicier, Cajun is roux based (usually a dark thin roux) and less spicy but with more flavor. I prefer Cajun style cuisine, but I do occasionally cook Creole dishes like Shrimp Creole.

Here's a pic of my last Shrimp Creole...notice the red coloring from the tomato base:

The Okie Corral

Last edited by tantrix; 10-26-2012 at 13:06..
Old 10-26-2012, 13:38   #212
noway

Cajun are typically more country like and made from simpler food items but not necessary bad tasting foods.

Creole ( which is I ) are city based food with more richer ingredients but not always the best tasty depending on how it's cook. NOLA is pretty much what we call Creole Food and most of that area and the surrounding areas are Creole based foods. Until you get way past Baton Rouge and farther down I10 corridor is Cajun country as I call it.

If you stray too far north of I10 , then you ought to be in Arkansas or Mississippi ( hope I spelled it right )

You typically will NOT find true Cajun foods out side Cajun country and almost zero in NOLA. Most people outside LA has no clue what Creole or Cajun is. Goes back to, just because it's written down as Cajun or Sprinkle with red-pepper or creole seasoning, don't make it Cajun or Creole.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 18:58   #213
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Bronc View Post
I have lived here all of my life, college degree from LSU, best damn university there is...excellent job working for THE major oil company, getting ready to retire in next 18 months....my wife is full blooded Cajun girl....

The tax base is great, the auto insurance is insane, the hurricanes can be a pain and the heat in the summer brutal....I love it here.

Louisiana is a way of life....in my business I travel a lot and I have been all over the country and parts of the world, but after being gone for a few days, I really miss the place....like many have replied, the food is the best there is period....what some places pass for "Cajun" food should be against the law...

Very gun friendly state, special amendment on November 6 that will hopefully provide a barrier from more bull**** government gun control laws...I dont know all of the details, but will do more reading this weekend....

If you have kids, need to consider private schools unless you are in St. Tammany parish...reasonable gas prices....Mardi Gras can be fun....

I sent ya a PM prying for more details

Quote:
The best part is when you go outside in the mid 70s and get all sweaty from the humidity.

We're sticky people, here.

And yes, N.O. is dangerous, with TONS of panhandling homeless at intersections and tourist hotspots, violent crime, drugs, and trashy people in general (especially the tourists and semi-local tourists if you're in the Vieux Carré). It's also the kind of place I like -- not for those reasons, obviously. I love lots of things about New Orleans despite its flaws. As tantrix said, every city has many of the same problems.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with not liking cities, and I'd think no matter what your thing is, you'll love it here.

I'd sure like to see what it's all about(N.O.), but really just doesn't attract me. Seems like it would be pretty cool to be able to take guests out on the weekend to see the city, and its attractions, or heck, just to get out myself now and then.

This swamp thing though... I think I want that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
Cajun are typically more country like and made from simpler food items but not necessary bad tasting foods.

Creole ( which is I ) are city based food with more richer ingredients but not always the best tasty depending on how it's cook. NOLA is pretty much what we call Creole Food and most of that area and the surrounding areas are Creole based foods. Until you get way past Baton Rouge and farther down I10 corridor is Cajun country as I call it.

If you stray too far north of I10 , then you ought to be in Arkansas or Mississippi ( hope I spelled it right )

You typically will NOT find true Cajun foods out side Cajun country and almost zero in NOLA. Most people outside LA has no clue what Creole or Cajun is. Goes back to, just because it's written down as Cajun or Sprinkle with red-pepper or creole seasoning, don't make it Cajun or Creole.
This food stuff is getting out of hand. I'm gonna have to get a list of restaurants and verify their authenticity with you guys before dining there!

Old 10-26-2012, 19:04   #214
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

As bad as a lot of Nola can be there are also some awesome things there if you know where to look. It's a certain lifestyle and tempo that I've not seen anywhere else.
Old 10-26-2012, 20:11   #215
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofri View Post
This food stuff is getting out of hand. I'm gonna have to get a list of restaurants and verify their authenticity with you guys before dining there!
i can tell you from first hand experience that the pappadeux's seafood chain does NOT serve true creole food. i made the horrible mistake once of ordering a "creole" dish in front of true creole girl once and she damned near taught me a whole different lesson in knife fighting on the spot. then a couple of weeks later she showed me what true creole food was all about and i realized my poor little pansy texan stomach wasn't meant form such things.

them weirdos are a little TOO in love with their spices.

by the way, 'blackened" don't mean burnt.
Old 10-26-2012, 21:06   #216
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
i can tell you from first hand experience that the pappadeux's seafood chain does NOT serve true creole food. i made the horrible mistake once of ordering a "creole" dish in front of true creole girl once and she damned near taught me a whole different lesson in knife fighting on the spot. then a couple of weeks later she showed me what true creole food was all about and i realized my poor little pansy texan stomach wasn't meant form such things.

them weirdos are a little TOO in love with their spices.

by the way, 'blackened" don't mean burnt.
Just so u know beer, if they blacken it inside it ain't really blackened. You can't do it right in the house.
Old 10-26-2012, 22:02   #217
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Just so u know beer, if they blacken it inside it ain't really blackened. You can't do it right in the house.

to be honest for my delicate pallate you can't do it "right" anywhere. lol

i like yall, love your state, and if the world ever truly goes ass over tea kettle i'll most likely wind up in yall's swamps, but i'll wind up eating my food raw cause i just can not handle the majority of yall's food. lol
Old 10-26-2012, 22:05   #218
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

So why is it every thread about Lousiana end up being about food?

Oh wait, that's a good thing!

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 22:05   #219
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:

i like yall, love your state, and if the world ever truly goes ass over tea kettle i'll most likely wind up in yall's swamps, but i'll wind up eating my food raw cause i just can not handle the majority of yall's food. lol
Handle it? I eat seafood 7 days a week!
Old 10-26-2012, 22:13   #220
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Handle it? I eat seafood 7 days a week!
no no sir, you mistake me. i love seafood, but i love it where i can taste the actual seafood and not 9 metric tons of spices, seasonings and god only knows what else. and when i eat shrimp i want to taste just shrimp and not shrimp, gator, crab, anus scorching corn, onions, mudbug brains, and whatever else you happen to have leftover in the fridge that night. lol

any one of those things alone is fine, but so far i've yet to eat anything over there that was just any 1 critter at a time. lol
Old 10-26-2012, 22:23   #221
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
no no sir, you mistake me. i love seafood, but i love it where i can taste the actual seafood and not 9 metric tons of spices, seasonings and god only knows what else. and when i eat shrimp i want to taste just shrimp and not shrimp, gator, crab, anus scorching corn, onions, mudbug brains, and whatever else you happen to have leftover in the fridge that night. lol

any one of those things alone is fine, but so far i've yet to eat anything over there that was just any 1 critter at a time. lol

It sounds like you have been eating Creole stuff, not Cajun. Creole food is more spicy and less flavor, while Cajun food is less spicy and more flavorful.

If the spice/pepper overrides the entire dishes flavor, somebody has screwed it up.
Old 10-26-2012, 22:36   #222
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

Sorry man. I have trouble imagining you with a delicate anything.

Like tantrix said it ain't all about cayenne. Cayenne is used to bring out flavor, not burn you.

Unless we're boiling crawfish. Then u gotta sweat so we don't have leftover beer.
Old 10-26-2012, 22:38   #223
BEER
bad example

Quote:
It sounds like you have been eating Creole stuff, not Cajun. Creole food is more spicy and less flavor, while Cajun food is less spicy and more flavorful.

If the spice/pepper overrides the entire dishes flavor, somebody has screwed it up.

the last time i was over that way i was offered a dill pickle and even that was soaked in some sort of spicy goo. i should have known something was up when the old coonass (sorry but you're all coonasses to me lol) pulled out a 5 gallon laundry detergent bucket and it was fiilled with pickles. lol

and no it wasn't soaked in detergent, he assured me the bucket was clean and perfectly safe. but to be honest that's the same incident that taught me to never accept anything offered to me by anybody wearing knee high white rubber boots. so far that has never ever worked out well for me.
Old 10-26-2012, 22:53   #224
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
the last time i was over that way i was offered a dill pickle and even that was soaked in some sort of spicy goo. i should have known something was up when the old coonass (sorry but you're all coonasses to me lol) pulled out a 5 gallon laundry detergent bucket and it was fiilled with pickles. lol

and no it wasn't soaked in detergent, he assured me the bucket was clean and perfectly safe. but to be honest that's the same incident that taught me to never accept anything offered to me by anybody wearing knee high white rubber boots. so far that has never ever worked out well for me.

Pickled stuff here can end up being hot, I'll admit that. I make some pickled quail eggs that will make your ass burn if you even fart. But, that's just the way I prefer them...they are normally a little milder.

Have you ever had a good etouffee, jambalaya, gumbo etc?

Last edited by tantrix; 10-26-2012 at 22:55..
Old 10-26-2012, 22:55   #225
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

He told you it was a pickle? ROLF!