Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:04   #1
BlackPaladin

Time for a backup

8 years, I have carried only my service weapon on duty. Events occurred this year that have convinced me that exploring the idea of a backup pistol would be worthwhile. I am convinced that a J frame size revolver is what I want, with no hammer. It is simple and there is very little to go wrong with it.

I am going to ask a two part question on this.

(a) Which J frame sized hammerless pistol in which caliber would be recommended?

(b) From *experience* where or how would you carry this?

Bear in mind, this would NOT be for off duty carry, only uniformed backup. I greatly appreciate the feedback in advance, this has been on my mind for awhile.

ETA, class B uniform

PIC OF 442 ON PG 3
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD

Last edited by BlackPaladin; 11-14-2012 at 00:23..
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:08   #2
fat.buffalo

S&W 642 .38 +p

Last edited by fat.buffalo; 10-25-2012 at 11:08..
fat.buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:30   #3
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPaladin View Post
8 years, I have carried only my service weapon on duty. Events occurred this year that have convinced me that exploring the idea of a backup pistol would be worthwhile. I am convinced that a J frame size revolver is what I want, with no hammer. It is simple and there is very little to go wrong with it.

I am going to ask a two part question on this.

(a) Which J frame sized hammerless pistol in which caliber would be recommended?

(b) From *experience* where or how would you carry this?

Bear in mind, this would NOT be for off duty carry, only uniformed backup. I greatly appreciate the feedback in advance, this has been on my mind for awhile.
I carried a S&W 642 in .38 for a while as a backup and decided I preferred an auto. My current backup is a Beretta Nano. Nothing really wrong with the wheelgun, just not my preference.

That said, what type of uniform do you wear? If it's class A, your options as to carry location are more limited that if it's say BDU based.

-Edward Conlon
rockapede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:38   #4
itstime

Smith 642. Again, don't know your uniform.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:54   #5
dp509

I carried a 442, no lock, in a galco ankle holster. I tried the pocket carry, but it dit not work for me.
I recently went with a Kahr PM9 in a galco ankle holster. Less recoil, more accurate and I carry a spare magazine in my weak side pocket in a desantis nemsis magazine holster.

Pacis Per Excellens Incendia Vox
dp509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:32   #6
FM12
I need AMMO!

.38 in an ankle holster. Get a holster with sheepskin padding. Trust me on this!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:41   #7
lwt210

I've carried a lot of back up guns over the years.

I started out with larger autos in a vest holster. Slow and cumbersome.

Then I went to small autos in pocket carry (off hand side) and found that every now and then (not often, but enough to be unsettling) the mag release button would get engaged just enough to unseat the mag just so.

I settled on the Smith 442 loaded with +p ammo and love it to death. Five shots, offside pocket carry, very fast, very stealth, very reassuring to hear those five cartridges go "bang". Mine had a lock on it but has been de-locked some years ago.

I prefer the 442 (I have a 642 as well) due to the dark finish. I can approach cars on traffic stops with that hand in my pocket ready for action and nobody notices it if I have slid it out a bit.

Mine is quite accurate too. Really kind of shocked how good the accuracy is on these little revolvers.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:43   #8
Sgt127

Smith 642.

This holster:

http://www.renegadeholstersdirect.com/page12.html

http://www.renegadeholstersdirect.com/page2.html

And, you're done.

The ankle holster is great if you are sitting in a car or at a desk alot. If I am spending the majority of the day on my feet, I sometimes pocket carry.

Last edited by Sgt127; 10-25-2012 at 13:26.. Reason: ADDED
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 13:07   #9
BlackPaladin

I appreciate the comments so far. I am set against an auto as a backup for personal reasons. It seems that so far what I am hearing is that the S&W 442 with +p .38 is a good option in an ankle holster.

For the sake of asking, is the 340pd (scandium) worth the weight savings in an ankle carried snub?
niners club #187
moto club #600
Bull dawgs club #55
RIP Ofc. Tommy Decker #6402 CSPD
BlackPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 13:33   #10
Sgt127

Its alot of money to save a few ounces. I think an airweight with +P is about the limit for controllability, If you can handle the hyper lightweight with full on magnums, more power to you, I can't. I shot one once and it was like slamming my hand in a car door. (Think 1970's Buick 2 door) It does add a little extra horsepower, even out of the snub barrel.
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 13:40   #11
ZO6Vettever

We had a "County Mountie" (bet you haven't heard that in a while) that carried a 2' snubbie (can't remember what kind) in his "smoky bear" hat. I seen him do this several times, always the gentleman removed and held his hat for traffic stops. Over coffee I mentioned it to him and he picked up the hat for me to see and I laughed so hard I might have peed a little! Thanks to you all for the job you do!
Joe

Remember, we're all on the same side!

Army Vet Dec 1965 - Dec 1971

Last edited by ZO6Vettever; 10-25-2012 at 13:42..
ZO6Vettever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 13:44   #12
Bruce M

My experience which includes the Detonics pictured for a decade or so strongly suggests that the quality of the ankle holster is far far more important than the weight of the gun.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 13:57   #13
Trigger Finger

I carried a S&W 442 for many years to go along with my Beretta 92 first then my S&W 4506 as a great backup.

I carried it in my off side waistband, which you could barley see in a IWB holster. I could get to it with either hand and it was easy to draw while sitting in a vehicle!!

I always had a problem with ankle holsters. If they work for you then great but mine would always flop around when I was running and I found them uncomfortable. If you carry in an ankle rig you should have your draw down and practice with it.

I am surprised you are just realizing how valuable a backup can be. It was pounded into our heads at the academy as we were taught about the Onion Field incident and several others that occurred on my department. I carried a back up since I graduated the academy!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 14:16   #14
collim1
Shower Time!

I have carried a 442 on my ankle since 2004. I tried vest carry and couldn't make it work for me.

Good decision to carry a BUG.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 14:17   #15
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPaladin View Post
I appreciate the comments so far. I am set against an auto as a backup for personal reasons. It seems that so far what I am hearing is that the S&W 442 with +p .38 is a good option in an ankle holster.

For the sake of asking, is the 340pd (scandium) worth the weight savings in an ankle carried snub?
I was going to recommend the 340. Not only is it lighter, but it allows you to shoot .357 mag rounds in addition to .38.

As far as location, I wear mine on my vest in a uncle mikes vest holster. The armor straps pass through the holster and hold it tight. Mine is on my right side, allowing for a left handed draw if needed. I have also heard of officers carrying in a cargo pocket if allowed at your agency. Desantis nemesis are great holsters in either the normal or cargo pocket variety.

I agree with you that a revolver is the way to go as a bug. Many officers don't realize that autos will not fire if the slide is pushed back. Basically if you jam an auto into someone's gut it may not fire..

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong
Old 10-25-2012, 14:58   #16
m2hmghb

I don't know if they still make them but they used to make a bolt on shroud for the hammer. If hammerless is needed then a 442 or 642. I would NOT reccomend the superlight magnums that are out there, with magnum rounds some have been known to have the bullet jump crimp and lock up the revolver. In addition the recoil is a lot heavier which sucks for range time and qualification time.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 15:06   #17
Agent6-3/8

I vest carry a S&W 442 using 5.11's "Backup Belt System" holster. Works very well and is highly concealed. I'm not satisfied with access and the draw however. I may end up giving off side pocket carry a try.

Posted from my iPhone 4s via Outdoor Hub mobile
Old 10-25-2012, 15:29   #18
blueiron

I'll side with the majority here. The 442/642 is ideal.

Scandium frames are nice and are stronger than aluminum frames, so if longevity over thousands of rounds is important, get one.

I am not a fan of .357 Magnums out of scandium J frames. I have been firearms enthusiast since age 12 and they are the most unpleasant handgun I have ever fired. My .454 Casull revolver was nowhere near as brutal, nor was the .500 S&W Magnum I fired. If one is wedded to the Magnum chambering, a Colt Lawman or a M-19/66 with a 2.5 inch barrel is a better choice.

Many tout that the extra power is necessary when the time comes and more stopping power is good, BUT... a defensive firearm requires lots of practice and qualifications. The J frame Magnums are flinch inducing machines. I am against practicing with light loads and then carrying Magnum rounds based on experiences I saw on the range with cops who did this in duty revolvers back in the early 1980s.

A .38 Special +P round with a modern bullet design, combined with good placement, should do the trick.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 17:08   #19
Patchman
Florist

Anyone have experience with Charter Arms' current production 9mm revolvers?

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 17:25   #20
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

ANother vote for 642\442.

I carried mine off hand front pocket.