SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-28-2012, 21:21   #1
Glock&KimberLady
Booyah!

Mammograms

So I'm 41, my mother in law was diagnosed with breast cancer (very Stage 0, very early, but still lumpectomy and six weeks of radiation )...oh, and my mom and my aunt on my dad's side both had it...

My appointment is on October 19th. Experiences? Oh, and...the girls are bolt-ons...anyone have experience with THAT?
Old 09-29-2012, 00:16   #2
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Hope all goes well for your MIL.

I had a mammo in Dubai, and the procedure wasn't bad. Can't speak for bolt-ons, though. Mine are real for about another month.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:48   #3
guanoman

Is your MIL on HRT? My mom was on HRT for 6 months when she started having lump issues. Within a year, she had a radical bilat mastectomy. When I pressed the surgeon as to why this happened, the surgeon said "family history, genetics, blah blah blah." I told the surgeon no other female on my mom's side has ever had breast CA. Surgeon said, "Must have been the HRT then. Studies indicate that causes breast CA."

There you have it....
Old 09-30-2012, 08:45   #4
sawgrass

I had a mammogram a week ago Friday. Evidently the new digital images are much better than the old film pics.

I received a call on Tuesday that I needed to go to the breast center at the hospital for more tests.

That needless to say scared the hell out of me. More tests
last Wednesday to conclude that everything is OK.

I don't know about bolt-ons, but I think the image will show what's where. Early detection is important so it's worth getting your boobs squished.

Good luck and I hope your MIL is OK.
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:46   #5
Glock&KimberLady
Booyah!

My MIL is on HRT...and so is my mom.

I'm a tetch young for that...and probably won't do it anyway. Too many crappy side effects, by my research.

@sawgrass - I understand that happens a lot. And I hope it doesn't happen to me, because Mr. GKL doesn't handle stuff like this very well. We had a foot cancer (yes, really!) scare and he almost had a nervous breakdown thinking I was going to die on him.

@Lone - and then...bolt ons? Expanders? Or....?

Last edited by Glock&KimberLady; 10-09-2012 at 14:48..
Glock&KimberLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 15:06   #6
F350

My wife had breast cancer 18 years ago, was the impetus for us getting married. The tumor was interductal and non-palpable, was 4cmX3cmX7cm, large but no lymph node involvement. She had a radical mastectomy, radiation and chemo.

Even if uncomfortable and a bit embarrassing it is worth it, the wife skipped the previous one and her oncologist said if her tumor had gone undiagnosed another 4 months she would have been terminal.

Had problems with the insurance on her last mammogram and had to go talk to billing at the hospital where it was done; I asked why if she only has 1 boobie the cost wasn't half, didn't get any kind of a straight answer to that one.

Last edited by F350; 10-12-2012 at 11:10..
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 21:02   #7
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock&KimberLady View Post
My MIL is on HRT...and so is my mom.

I'm a tetch young for that...and probably won't do it anyway. Too many crappy side effects, by my research.

@sawgrass - I understand that happens a lot. And I hope it doesn't happen to me, because Mr. GKL doesn't handle stuff like this very well. We had a foot cancer (yes, really!) scare and he almost had a nervous breakdown thinking I was going to die on him.

@Lone - and then...bolt ons? Expanders? Or....?
Trying to get bolt-ons done on the table. Don't know if I'm going to be able to coordinate that, though.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 10-11-2012, 21:03   #8
Glock&KimberLady
Booyah!

If they are doing mastectomy, don't they usually have to let scars heal up and then use expanders? Feel free to PM if this is too public.
Old 10-11-2012, 21:08   #9
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
If they are doing mastectomy, don't they usually have to let scars heal up and then use expanders? Feel free to PM if this is too public.
If they do reconstruction at the same time, the surgeon can leave some skin behind for the plastic surgeon to work with. The will take the nipples off, though.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 10-12-2012, 09:54   #10
jerryd

The surgeon my wife went to makes nipples from skin taken off the rump then grafts it to the breast. Then the tatoo artist colors it in and believe me its hard to tell the difference. Unbelieveable what they can do.
jerryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:56   #11
Irish Stout

I install and service Mammography equipment. I'm a guy, but saw the thread title and thought I may be able to offer some info.

New digital Mammo systems are very good at imaging the tiniest of calcifications. Implants are not a problem. Your imaging tech should ask about them, if not be sure to mention it. There are specific techniques for implants. The implants will be clearly visible on the image.

I also service Radiation Therapy equipment so I may be able to answer questions about that.

Hope your MIL is doing well.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:32   #12
onalandline
Me Got Gun!

My MIL had breast cancer. Not sure what stage she was, but she had a mastectomy, chemo and radiation. She is a 20 year survivor so far. My FIL had bladder cancer, and is a 27 year survivor so far. Unfortunately, my SIL, their daughter, died at the age of 33 from IBC (Inflammatory Breast Cancer). It is fairly rare, but may be the most aggressive form of breast cancer. Needless to say, my wife has had concerns over the last several years. She has had mammograms starting around 30-ish. She is 42 now. I am concerned thought about the cumulative effects of the radiation/compression associated with mammograms. With her family history, she should be getting ultrasounds as a safer alternative, I believe. Recent studies have shown a possible link between mammography and breast cancer. It kinda scares me to think that what you are doing to help yourself, may be harmful. Here is a link to a doctor's article about using thermography as a screening tool. I have to ask my wife's doctor about this.

Just FYI (I have no affiliation with this): http://naturalhealthcenter.mercola.c...rmography.aspx
Old 10-13-2012, 23:55   #13
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
My MIL had breast cancer. Not sure what stage she was, but she had a mastectomy, chemo and radiation. She is a 20 year survivor so far. My FIL had bladder cancer, and is a 27 year survivor so far. Unfortunately, my SIL, their daughter, died at the age of 33 from IBC (Inflammatory Breast Cancer). It is fairly rare, but may be the most aggressive form of breast cancer. Needless to say, my wife has had concerns over the last several years. She has had mammograms starting around 30-ish. She is 42 now. I am concerned thought about the cumulative effects of the radiation/compression associated with mammograms. With her family history, she should be getting ultrasounds as a safer alternative, I believe. Recent studies have shown a possible link between mammography and breast cancer. It kinda scares me to think that what you are doing to help yourself, may be harmful. Here is a link to a doctor's article about using thermography as a screening tool. I have to ask my wife's doctor about this.

Just FYI (I have no affiliation with this): http://naturalhealthcenter.mercola.c...rmography.aspx
IBC IS the most aggessive form of breast cancer, even more aggressive than what I have. May your SIL rest in peace.

Please tell your wife to inquire about the BRAC analysis. that's a test to determine if she's genetically pre-dosposed to breast cancer. If she is, that's something your doc needs to know.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by Lone_Wolfe; 10-13-2012 at 23:59..
Old 10-14-2012, 12:28   #14
Glock&KimberLady
Booyah!

I agree with the gene test, althought it's BRC-A (I just read an article, ain't I smart?)

Mammo is Friday, receptionist said at least 50% of the women that come in have implants (!) so no worries there.

The bummer about breast cancer is that it's kne of those things that many people don't catch until it's still late. I like my jubblies, but I don't wanna die for them!
Old 10-14-2012, 13:24   #15
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
I agree with the gene test, althought it's BRC-A (I just read an article, ain't I smart?)

Mammo is Friday, receptionist said at least 50% of the women that come in have implants (!) so no worries there.

The bummer about breast cancer is that it's kne of those things that many people don't catch until it's still late. I like my jubblies, but I don't wanna die for them!
I've had the test, you'd think I'd know how to spell it!

Hope your mammo come out good.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 10-14-2012, 17:04   #16
Irish Stout

FYI, ultrasound is not the most accurate method for screening. Standard mammography still offers the best imaging. MRI is possible too. The dose given during an exam is not that much. Do a search and begin to compare radiation exposure between xray, ct, mammo, sun exposure, etc.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 20:48   #17
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
That's because all the patients have moved there from California!
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 21:22   #18
onalandline
Me Got Gun!

If someone is positive for the BRCA1 gene, what can be done? It may label you as high risk, and have insurance issues.

Last edited by onalandline; 10-23-2012 at 21:22..
onalandline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 00:04   #19
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
If someone is positive for the BRCA1 gene, what can be done? It may label you as high risk, and have insurance issues.
You can get a mastectomy and reconstruction as a preventative.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 10-24-2012, 04:53   #20
onalandline
Me Got Gun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
You can get a mastectomy and reconstruction as a preventative.
That seems a little extreme. I don't know.
Old 10-24-2012, 22:13   #21
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
That seems a little extreme. I don't know.
You asked what can be done, and that's the most effective prevention. the other options is to get more thorough screening frequently. Such as both a mammogram and MRI regularly.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 10-27-2012, 14:42   #22
onalandline
Me Got Gun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
You asked what can be done, and that's the most effective prevention. the other options is to get more thorough screening frequently. Such as both a mammogram and MRI regularly.
Easier said than done for most women I suppose. Could you imagine if you had a penial cancer gene, and the most effective method of prevention was removal? Holy crap!

Last edited by onalandline; 10-27-2012 at 14:43..
onalandline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 14:51   #23
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Easier said than done for most women I suppose. Could you imagine if you had a penial cancer gene, and the most effective method of prevention was removal? Holy crap!
Oh, that would be bad!

Yeah, easier said than done, for sure. But if the alternative is having a 70% chance of getting breast cancer in your life, it may become a little easier.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE