GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-22-2012, 19:58   #51
TactiCool

Yes, Louisiana is indeed a fine state to live in, and I have fond memories of sailing on Lake Pontchartrain with my father growing up. The fishing is pretty good too.
TactiCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 21:34   #52
Hines57
Simple Member

Get ready to sweat your balls off. And you will grow to love the occasional hurricane.

Louisiana is cool. Good folks if you get away from the city. Food ain't half bad. Did I mention that its stupid hot there most of the time?

Last edited by Hines57; 10-22-2012 at 21:35..
Hines57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 21:39   #53
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
1) Cost of living - Almost non-existent unless you want to live right in the center of a city.

2) Friendly to outsiders - As friendly as anywhere else I'd suppose...as long as you don't have something like a Boston accent, you'll be fine.

3) Taxes - Not bad at all. In line with the pay scale here so I can't complain.

4) Best kept secrets - Nothing is a secret here...but I'd say the food will pretty much hook you for life.

5) Gun laws - Almost none. Shall-issue. Open carry. Any number of firearms, anywhere in the vehicle, loaded or unloaded, with no permit required.

We also have a strong castle doctrine which means if anybody forces entry into your home, feel free to make some extra breathing holes in their chest.

Oh, and I'll have to mention the food one more time.
You forgot the weather. We have 4 distinct seasons:

Football Season
Hunting Season
Crawfish Season
Summer
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 21:40   #54
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUAdman View Post
This thread is making me home sick. My wife and I have been talking about moving back for a few weeks now. She's waiting to hear back on a lead with some good friends who own a chain of markets - you can guess which one.

As soon as we can nail something down, or I can find something, we are moving in a heart beat. We love Texas, but it aint Louisiana.
She's gonna work for the da Rouse?
Old 10-22-2012, 21:43   #55
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

Please, as if MS knows how to cook them properly!
Cook?
Old 10-22-2012, 22:54   #56
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Cook?
Deep fry at 350 with a wonderful crispy crust which just leaves a little salty juice. Emmmmm yummm yummmmm.

Wait... What was the topic of this thread? I forgot. Good food got me all off track.
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 22:56   #57
GRIMLET
Deceased

Op, you want economic advice, ask Funds. That guy has money skills.
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 23:05   #58
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
Op, you want economic advice, ask Funds. That guy has money skills.
Nah, he's just some crazy nutjob on GT.

For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 00:30   #59
BEER
bad example

you better be in tip top physical shape inside and out if you're gonna live there. i've snuck over and partied there a few times and it almost killed me multiple times in multiple ways.

if there's 1 thing they do and do well over there it's drinking. i'm not talking that bourbon street mardi gras sloppy amateur **** you see on tv either, i mean serious drinking. i've been to low key backyard crawfish boils where the beer started flowing at noon, the whiskey started at 5, and the moonshine started at 10 and went on until the sun came up.

start working your gut now cause it's gonna get it's very own workout. if you go to somebody's house they're gonna feed you whether you like it or not. it don't matter if you're spending the night or stopping by for a minute to pick up a friend, you're gonna get fed, and it's a personal insult if you don't eat.

and the women! that's a whole other thread in and of itself and not suitable for this forum but i'll just say if you get a cajun girl after you you're in for 1 hell of a time.

good luck and have fun.

p.s. don't let any of em try to fool you, their state bird aint the pelican, it's the mosquito.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:42   #60
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Nah, he's just some crazy nutjob on GT.

This!!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:58   #61
DowntimeLA
in da swamp

Quote:
Pretty much what he said. Go South about 20 miles to Abbeville and you'll be living in a nice little town that will be cheaper, but close to the best city in the state (Lafayette) and also close to the gulf.
lived in lafayette for 7 years, great place, beautiful brunette women, friendly people, good food, festivals, decent oil and gas and medical field opportunities.

I love new orleans but can't afford it since i like good seafood/steaks, bourbon st, and harrahs on canal. I do like that everything seems semi-legal/acceptable there. Great food too! I had an apartment w/2nd floor balcony in the quarter. Had enough of that now I'm up in the woods.

couldn't pay me to move back to houston.

Last edited by DowntimeLA; 10-23-2012 at 08:59..
DowntimeLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:02   #62
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Quote:
She's gonna work for the da Rouse?
Per haps.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:39   #63
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
you better be in tip top physical shape inside and out if you're gonna live there. i've snuck over and partied there a few times and it almost killed me multiple times in multiple ways.

if there's 1 thing they do and do well over there it's drinking. i'm not talking that bourbon street mardi gras sloppy amateur **** you see on tv either, i mean serious drinking. i've been to low key backyard crawfish boils where the beer started flowing at noon, the whiskey started at 5, and the moonshine started at 10 and went on until the sun came up.

start working your gut now cause it's gonna get it's very own workout. if you go to somebody's house they're gonna feed you whether you like it or not. it don't matter if you're spending the night or stopping by for a minute to pick up a friend, you're gonna get fed, and it's a personal insult if you don't eat.

and the women! that's a whole other thread in and of itself and not suitable for this forum but i'll just say if you get a cajun girl after you you're in for 1 hell of a time.

good luck and have fun.

p.s. don't let any of em try to fool you, their state bird aint the pelican, it's the mosquito.

Thanks Beer, I'll have to ask The Squad get me on a training regimen.

geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:20   #64
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

How old are you? In Louisiana your first cardiac stent is a right of passage around age 50.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:44   #65
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

Quote:
How old are you? In Louisiana your first cardiac stent is a right of passage around age 50.

geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:48   #66
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
Deep fry at 350 with a wonderful crispy crust which just leaves a little salty juice. Emmmmm yummm yummmmm.
Oh, I thought maybe you meant put them half-shelled on the grill with some garlic butter and parmesan cheese.

FWIW, I was in Houston last week eating Louisiana oysters.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:59   #67
TeeJay37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
That stuff looks like canine regurgitation.
Often times, our food may not look good, but when you take a bite, you won't care. We've got a friend that moved from Texas. We got her to try (reluctantly) some boudin and she loved it. She posted a picture on Facebook and the first comment was from her friend in Texas "That legit looks like poo". No one argued with him, but damn is it good
TeeJay37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:01   #68
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Oh, I thought maybe you meant put them half-shelled on the grill with some garlic butter and parmesan cheese.

FWIW, I was in Houston last week eating Louisiana oysters.
My problem is I need to stop eating the damn things before they get to where they're supposed to be going. I managed to fry maybe 2 dozen last night, the rest...slid down my throat with hot sauce. I still have a gumbo I need to drop some in, looks like it's time for another oyster run.

Last edited by tantrix; 10-23-2012 at 10:12..
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:02   #69
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Boudin
Hog's Head Cheese
Cracklins
Gog/Ponce

In the general lafayette area, you can buy these things FRESH at most gas stations.

If you're on facebook, look up "boudin Link" where they rate all of the boudin around.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:05   #70
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
My problem is I need to stop eating the damn things before they get to where they're supposed to be going. I managed to fry maybe 2 dozen last night, the rest...slid down my throat with hot sauce. I still have a gumbo I need to drop some in, looks like it's time for another oyster run.
Friends of ours own a big oyster distributor. They make this concotion every Christmas called marinated oysters.

Essentially it is a gallon of oysters dumped into a bloody mary.

You eat them till you can't move. They'll give us a gallon for the asking but will not share the recipe.

What is left over, we fry. You can't imagine how good they are.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:12   #71
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay37 View Post
Often times, our food may not look good, but when you take a bite, you won't care. We've got a friend that moved from Texas. We got her to try (reluctantly) some boudin and she loved it. She posted a picture on Facebook and the first comment was from her friend in Texas "That legit looks like poo". No one argued with him, but damn is it good

Got some of that in the fridge rdy to go too.

Oh, and don't forget the hog head cheese. Put a hunk of this on a saltine, crack a beer open...awwwww yeah...C'est Bon!

The Okie Corral
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:13   #72
TeeJay37

Quote:
Okay, I know what I'm having for lunch. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:18   #73
TeeJay37

Quote:
Boudin
Hog's Head Cheese
Cracklins
Gog/Ponce

In the general lafayette area, you can buy these things FRESH at most gas stations.

If you're on facebook, look up "boudin Link" where they rate all of the boudin around.
And I'm not sure if it's a LA thing, but it's hard to beat a basket of hot, fried gizzards.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:18   #74
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Got some of that in the fridge rdy to go too.

Oh, and don't forget the hog head cheese. Put a hunk of this on a saltine, crack a beer open...awwwww yeah...C'est Bon!

The Okie Corral
Where's that from?

My favorite used to be T-Jim's up in Cottonport but last time I had it it was kinda loose.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:24   #75
TeeJay37

Quote:
Okay, I just looked this up. I got 1 result with a man in a speedo posing on a bed surrounded by guns. I didn't open it, but I somehow doubt that's the page you were talking about.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine