SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2012, 19:37   #1
MP1983

Recoil: .357 Sig vs. .40 S&W at the range

I took my Glock 22 (2nd generation) out to compare recoil with a Sig Sauer P226 in .40 S&W (which I recently bought). With the lower bore axis of the Glock, it had less felt recoil in .40 even though it is a lighter gun than the P226. My Glock 22 is my house-gun, and has been for the past 11 years.

I next compared the P226 in .40 S&W to .357 Sig by switching out the barrel (both barrels are factory Sig Sauer). I had read that the .357 Sig had less felt recoil than the .40 S&W, but I had never shot the two one right after the other to really try to judge them for myself. I was pleased to find the .357 Sig is easier for me to shoot. I have gotten a little recoil sensitive due to some bad discs in my neck, and I prefer the .357 Sig round over the .40 S&W for a number of reasons (particularly, Speer Golddots w/ 1350 fps muzzle velocity in a 125 gr bullet).

I had also read that the .357 Sig was "snappier" and louder than the .40 S&W, and that the .40 S&W was a little heavier in its recoil straight back against the shooter (due to the heavier bullet). I have no arthritis in the wrists or hands so the snappy recoil does not bother me, but the heavier push backward through the arms, shoulders, and ultimately the neck was uncomfortable in .40 S&W. Just a couple 12 round magazines of .40 S&W and I was feeling it, but I shot at least six full mags of the .357 Sig and it didn't bother me a bit. I was very pleased, since I prefer .357 Sig slightly over the .40 S&W (though I don't think you can go wrong with either).

I did not notice whether the .357 Sig was any louder; I was in the outdoors with hearing protection and they both sounded about the same.

I now know what my next Glock is gonna be...a Gen 4 Glock 31

Glock 17 X 3 (Gen1 marked MPDC, Gen2, OD Gen3), Glock 19 X 2 (Gen2 & Gen3), Glock 22 (Gen2), Glock 30 (w/o rail)

"Incompetence is the worst form of corruption" - Harve, Electra Glide in Blue

Last edited by MP1983; 10-20-2012 at 20:13.. Reason: typo
MP1983 is offline   Reply With Quote