GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 23:22   #301
frizz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippz View Post
My friend, your area is much different than mine. I'm 30 years old, I work in the medical field and see day in and day out people much younger than me who draw disability/SSI... They get it much too easily. Now the broken thumb I mentioned was an analogy, but I have seen people be granted disability for broken bones (legs & arms) that have totally healed and present no further debilitation... There's attorneys here who all but guarantee clients will be approved for it... So don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.
Of course it happens. But as the general rule, it isn't that easy. I base MY view on knowing three people who work for SS; both of them are sickened by undeserving people who get disability.

They don't much care for clearly deserving people to be denied.

How about, unless you don't want to say where you live, you say which lawyers all but guarantee approval?
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 23:47   #302
boomhower
Senior Member
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippz View Post
Same in my neck of the woods... It's actually sad because there are ppl who are truly disabled, and they have so many hoops to jump thru because of the lazy a**es that collect it undeservingly, all the while doing handyman work off the books for cash.
I agree. My father in law had to fight tooth and nail. He worked in a factory all his life and has a degenerative back disease. He can't work without sever pain. He was denied once and went on for three years. Filled again and after a year on long term disability through his work and fighting the system he finally got disability, and backpay for being wrongfully denied the first time. He worked his whole life, paid into the system, and couldn't get it when he needed it. Now you have these idiots who never paid a nickel into the system living their whole lives off of it.

Last edited by boomhower; 10-19-2012 at 23:48..
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 17:03   #303
AZson
Senior Member
 
AZson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tucson
Posts: 3,015
SS is not an entitlement, we have paid for it.
__________________
G17 G27 G29 G35 G38 NRA GSSF
NEED A GOOD GUN? See your local ATF (AKA F-troop) agent. He will get you one fast and furiously.
AZson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 17:57   #304
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,822
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/op...tion.html?_r=0

Quote from one of the comments,



That doesn't match what you said.
No arguing with stupidity. Again, how much do you live in Germany? Shall we compare that with how much I live in Germany? But of course you are an "expert".

And how much have you worked in hospitals in Germany? Please name one...
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 18:19   #305
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
No arguing with stupidity. Again, how much do you live in Germany? Shall we compare that with how much I live in Germany? But of course you are an "expert".

And how much have you worked in hospitals in Germany? Please name one...
Your claim does not match what the man who lives there said. You're an elitists. You have no idea how the middle class and working class people in the U.S. and Germany live. What's good for you isn't necessarily good for them. How many times have you been admitted to the hospital in the past few years? Probably none.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 18:25   #306
Z71bill
Senior Member
 
Z71bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
SS is not an entitlement, we have paid for it.
The social security administration considers social security an entitlement.

So does congress - they wrote the law.
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 18:31   #307
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,822
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Your claim does not match what the man who lives there said. You're an elitists. You have no idea how the middle class and working class people in the U.S. and Germany live. What's good for you isn't necessarily good for them. How many times have you been admitted to the hospital in the past few years? Probably none.
When I needed a doctor in Germany, I was actually pretty luck. I got to cut in line and was seen immediately. Why? Because I worked with the doctors and hospital. I was able to get seen within minutes when there was a month wait for non-emergency treatment at the same hospital.

Mine wouldn't have been an "emergency" and likely a German would not have even been able to get into the doctor. (It was a bad sinus infection, and getting into a doctor for those is very difficult because Europe severely limits anti-biotics).
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 18:38   #308
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,683


Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
SS is not an entitlement, we have paid for it.
Wrong. You paid for someone else's.
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 19:02   #309
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,822
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
You're an elitists. You have no idea how the middle class and working class people in the U.S. and Germany live.
Is that best you have? Instead of sulking about why someone wasnt giving me my share, I decided to do something about it. Maybe you should try that and you wouldnt be so upset at the world...
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 20:10   #310
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
When I needed a doctor in Germany, I was actually pretty luck. I got to cut in line and was seen immediately. Why? Because I worked with the doctors and hospital. I was able to get seen within minutes when there was a month wait for non-emergency treatment at the same hospital.
Like I said, an elitists. You get to cut in line ahead of the peasants. You're entitled to it because you're such a great guy.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley

Last edited by muscogee; 10-20-2012 at 20:13..
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 20:32   #311
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?
 
Javelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: N. Dallas
Posts: 14,638


Quote:
Originally Posted by tous View Post
The truth is, the GI Bill is deferred compensation.

The deal is, you serve in the military for low pay and benefits for some number of years and defer a reasonable wage, we will pay the difference between what is reasonable and what you get while serving in the future.
Exactly.

You folks bashing the .mil need to read this and if it doesn't make sense, read it again.
__________________
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 22:31   #312
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,683


Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Like I said, an elitists. You get to cut in line ahead of the peasants. You're entitled to it because you're such a great guy.
People who pay their own way SHOULD get to cut in line ahead of the peasants.
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:05   #313
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,822
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Like I said, an elitists. You get to cut in line ahead of the peasants. You're entitled to it because you're such a great guy.
And the flight attendants "gave" me an ice cream sundae on flight Friday too. I am entitled to it BECAUSE I PAID FOR IT.

You really dont seem to get that concept. Try it one day. Pay for what you want. If you want more, figure out a way to pay it. Its an amazing system. If you want something, earn it instead of whining about why other people get ice cream and you get none.

I was much happier after the ice cream. I do however, wish that United had an espresso machine on the plane like Swiss Airlines does. Actually, I wish the United planes were as nice as Swiss. But, again, if I want that,I should quit whining and fly Swiss (of course i would also have to go where Swiss flies).
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:35   #314
Eurodriver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Exactly.

You folks bashing the .mil need to read this and if it doesn't make sense, read it again.
Low wages? I was making $54,000 a year after taxes as a 4 year E5 in Hawaii (With BAH and FSA)

Low benefits? Sure, I was a Marine so our BAS (battalion aid station) was practically a condemned building. But I had four years of completely free medical and dental and eye care. Completely 100% cost free. I knew girls who got breast augmentations on the military's dime. Guy's who've had lasik. All sorts of elected procedures. Doesn't sound like low benefits to me.

Have you looked at how unsustainable the GI Bill is? The Post 9/11 GI Bill? That $1200 I paid (Which pissed me off, because they switched GI Bills 1/2 way through my enlistment and now the new guys dont pay) is a mere 1% of what I am currently ENTITLED to.

For 4 years of service I now get:

5 years of free VA healthcare (I served in a combat zone)
36 months of free tuition
36 months of BAH at the E5 w/ dependents rate
36 months of GI Bill "Kicker" payments

Comes out to $115,000+ just in educational benefits (Not including the healthcare)

The only reason the damn GI Bill was made in the first place was to prevent another catastrophe with what happened after WWI and the Bonus Army. FDR saw 12,000,000 GIs coming home soon and needed to offer them something in order to prevent massive unemployment or riots.

But sure, go ahead and keep saying our vets "Deserve" this.

The only thing we're getting is more debt and an army full of Jamal's claiming "Nah brah, I don't give a damn about my country. I just needed college money"

Last edited by Eurodriver; 10-21-2012 at 08:36..
Eurodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:39   #315
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,822
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
Low wages? I was making $54,000 a year after taxes as a 4 year E5 in Hawaii (With BAH and FSA)

Low benefits? Sure, I was a Marine so our BAS (battalion aid station) was practically a condemned building. But I had four years of completely free medical and dental and eye care. Completely 100% cost free. I knew girls who got breast augmentations on the military's dime. Guy's who've had lasik. All sorts of elected procedures. Doesn't sound like low benefits to me.

Have you looked at how unsustainable the GI Bill is? The Post 9/11 GI Bill? That $1200 I paid (Which pissed me off, because they switched GI Bills 1/2 way through my enlistment and now the new guys dont pay) is a mere 1% of what I am currently ENTITLED to.

For 4 years of service I now get:

5 years of free VA healthcare (I served in a combat zone)
36 months of free tuition
36 months of BAH at the E5 w/ dependents rate
36 months of GI Bill "Kicker" payments

Comes out to $115,000+ just in educational benefits (Not including the healthcare)

The only reason the damn GI Bill was made in the first place was to prevent another catastrophe with what happened after WWI and the Bonus Army. FDR saw 12,000,000 GIs coming home soon and needed to offer them something in order to prevent massive unemployment or riots.

But sure, go ahead and keep saying our vets "Deserve" this.

The only thing we're getting is more debt and an army full of Jamal's claiming "Nah brah, I don't give a damn about my country. I just needed college money"
I have much less problem paying someone $115k in education benefits for serving our country than I do paying $1M to keep someone old mother alive another two months.

At least one is an investment in society.
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:41   #316
Eurodriver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
I have much less problem paying someone $115k in education benefits for serving our country than I do paying $1M to keep someone old mother alive another two months.

At least one is an investment in society.
I'm not disagreeing with this at all. I would gladly pay vets money over Maliks and Sheniqua's raising babies.

....but my point is that they are both unsustainable.

We can't just keep giving out taxpayers money like it grows on trees.
Eurodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:49   #317
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,683


Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
I have much less problem paying someone $115k in education benefits for serving our country than I do paying $1M to keep someone old mother alive another two months.

At least one is an investment in society.
A surgeon buddy of mine talks about how families tell them "Do whatever you have to do to keep grandma alive". Of course they say this, someone else has to pay for it. As he calls it, "Dialyzing a dead woman".

He says that he often refuses and tells them to find another surgeon. The inevitably do.
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:52   #318
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,822
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
I'm not disagreeing with this at all. I would gladly pay vets money over Maliks and Sheniqua's raising babies.

....but my point is that they are both unsustainable.

We can't just keep giving out taxpayers money like it grows on trees.
I think the military would be sustainable without the rest.
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:14   #319
Z71bill
Senior Member
 
Z71bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,845
Just about every person that gets government cash - and it does not matter if it is a paycheck or food stamps or a free mobility scooter --

THEY THINK THEY DESERVE IT.

The REAL problem is - we have a system that makes it next to impossible for our elected officials to cut any of the spending programs.

Every entitlement program has become sacred -

You can't reduce SS or medicare - or you hate old people

You can't cut military entitlements because then you hate the military

You can't cut student loans - because who could be against education

You can't cut food stamps - or you hate "starving people"

The one thread all of these entitlement programs have in common is they have entrenched support from the people that are GETTING the checks - and they WANT THE CASH - and if the elected representatives want to get reelected they must continue to buy the votes.

Something has got to change - unless we want to have a complete financial collapse.

Just think - in the year 2000 the federal government spent $1.6 trillion dollars

In 2012 they spent $3.8 trillion.

Taxes collected went from $1.7 trillion in 2000 to $2.5 trillion in 2012.

If you can't look at these numbers and tell that we have a spending problem then you are not trying very hard.

Last edited by Z71bill; 10-21-2012 at 09:28..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:32   #320
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.
 
series1811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Retired, but not expired.
Posts: 14,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
Something has got to change - unless we want to have a complete financial collapse.
Sometimes, I think that that is the only thing that will cause our spending to change.
__________________
I sure miss the country I grew up in.
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:49   #321
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
I have much less problem paying someone $115k in education benefits for serving our country than I do paying $1M to keep someone old mother alive another two months.

At least one is an investment in society.
Off with their heads. Do you find it medieval to eliminate people when they become inconvenient. You're really out of touch with thee 21st century.
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:55   #322
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
Just about every person that gets government cash - and it does not matter if it is a paycheck or food stamps or a free mobility scooter --

THEY THINK THEY DESERVE IT.

The REAL problem is - we have a system that makes it next to impossible for our elected officials to cut any of the spending programs.

Every entitlement program has become sacred -

You can't reduce SS or medicare - or you hate old people

You can't cut military entitlements because then you hate the military

You can't cut student loans - because who could be against education

You can't cut food stamps - or you hate "starving people"
If you raise taxes you're a leftist, socialist, fascist, communists and you're ignorant. The next President will raise your taxes because he has too. Do you want the working class and middle class to bear the bulk of the tax increases, like they have since Reagan, or do you want to ultra rich to bear the bulk of the burden?
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:59   #323
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,822
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Off with their heads. Do you find it medieval to eliminate people when they become inconvenient. You're really out of touch with thee 21st century.
I believe that people should be responsible for themselves.

I also believe that the amount of money spent keeping old people alive another 2 months is wasted money and society shouldnt be picking up the tab.

Do some actual thinking and fact checking. Find out how much medical care the last two months of an old persons life costs and how good medicine is at changing the outcome.

Of course you can't think in a logical method. First you tell me how great socialized medicine is in Germany, knowing nothing about it, deny that there are two systems in place for health care in Germany with vastly different flavors between the two, and then say I have no experience. When I tell you about when I needed a doctor in Germany and I was able to get one, when Germans in the same situation couldnt have, I am an elitist for cutting in line. You dodged the whole issue that I had to "cut in line". In the USA, if I have the same ailment, there is no line to cut into.

OF course, that doesnt fit with your incorrect narrative of socialized medicine so its easier to call me an "elitist" instead of explaining why there are lines that I had to by-pass.

So lets ask you. WHY was there a line that I had to cut into and WHY is it good that there are lines? I suspect you will dodge this question too...
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:01   #324
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,822
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
If you raise taxes you're a leftist, socialist, fascist, communists and you're ignorant. The next President will raise your taxes because he has too. Do you want the working class and middle class to bear the bulk of the tax increases, like they have since Reagan, or do you want to ultra rich to bear the bulk of the burden?
If I go to the local steak house, I can eat a small sirloin. I can eat a 23 oz porterhouse. If I chose to eat that 23 ozsteak, I need to pay for it.

People should pay based upon what they use. I think everyone should pay the exact dame DOLLAR amount of taxes since we get the same services.
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:19   #325
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,683


Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
I believe that people should be responsible for themselves.

I also believe that the amount of money spent keeping old people alive another 2 months is wasted money and society shouldnt be picking up the tab.

Do some actual thinking and fact checking. Find out how much medical care the last two months of an old persons life costs and how good medicine is at changing the outcome.

Of course you can't think in a logical method. First you tell me how great socialized medicine is in Germany, knowing nothing about it, deny that there are two systems in place for health care in Germany with vastly different flavors between the two, and then say I have no experience. When I tell you about when I needed a doctor in Germany and I was able to get one, when Germans in the same situation couldnt have, I am an elitist for cutting in line. You dodged the whole issue that I had to "cut in line". In the USA, if I have the same ailment, there is no line to cut into.

OF course, that doesnt fit with your incorrect narrative of socialized medicine so its easier to call me an "elitist" instead of explaining why there are lines that I had to by-pass.

So lets ask you. WHY was there a line that I had to cut into and WHY is it good that there are lines? I suspect you will dodge this question too...
Outstanding point!

Muscogee, why are there lines?
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:17.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 988
311 Members
677 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42