Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:42   #226
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
Contracting with a guy selling his property is not contracting with the neighbors.
If he has already contracted with his neighbors and part of that contract prohibits him from selling to anyone not willing to also be bound by that contract then he can't sell to you unless you also agree to join and abide by the HOA rules. See how simple that is? It's not that you are being forced to join a contract with the neighbors so much as he is bound to respect his.
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:49   #227
ray9898

My God....where do all these 'freedom lovers' come from. They have no clue and mistake freedom with "doing whatever you want".
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:25   #228
Bren
NRA Life Member

This will warm your heart:
Suspect in homeowners association shootings tells police: 'I had to kill them'
Quote:
The man charged with shooting two of his neighbors at a homeowners association meeting told police he "had to kill" two officers of the association because a dispute over a fence could not be resolved peacefully.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:26   #229
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
My God....where do all these 'freedom lovers' come from. They have no clue and mistake freedom with "doing whatever you want".
I wonder something similar about people who are willing to give up freedom to make sure their neighbor mows his lawn as often as they think he should. I don't think much of those people.
Old 10-18-2012, 13:41   #230
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

[QUOTE=Bren;19531267]I wonder something similar about people who are willing to give up freedom to make sure their neighbor mows his lawn as often as they think he should. I don't think much of those people.[/QUOTE

IMO that's your loss for being dogmatic.
Old 10-18-2012, 14:16   #231
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Kill people over a fence dispute??

That's exactly what I'd expect from HOA people...fighting over a fence.

Quote:
I wonder something similar about people who are willing to give up freedom to make sure their neighbor mows his lawn as often as they think he should. I don't think much of those people.
I don't either. No amount of American flags they like to display in their yards will convince me they are patriots, freedom lovers, or anything else.
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 14:20   #232
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
My God....where do all these 'freedom lovers' come from.

apparently from all the crappy looking 'hoods
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 14:43   #233
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjk5 View Post
apparently from all the crappy looking 'hoods
I cut my grass when I want, put whatever I want in my yard, and paint my house any color I want...whenever I want. I also have no neighbors for miles.

And I'd give that up for people to vote if I can do it or not??

I also own enough property to put your house, and 10 of your neighbor's houses on. If this is the "hood", I'm never leaving.

Last edited by tantrix; 10-18-2012 at 14:44..
Old 10-18-2012, 14:58   #234
ray9898

Quote:
Willing to give up freedom? For me it is more like entering a contract to live near people with similar views and taste which promotes my community as a whole. If I give up the freedom to paint my house puke green and let the grass grow knee heigh then so be it, it is against my personal preferences anyway and is a 'freedom' I would never use. If I did not agree with the terms I would not enter into the agreement.
Old 10-18-2012, 15:40   #235
frizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlawpup View Post
NorthCarolina needs to read up on covenants that run with the land, and the freedom to enter contracts.

Without those basic freedoms, we can end up with chaos regarding land use and our living conditions.

If you don't like the covenants that run with the land, you're free to either not buy it or to get the required number of your neighbors to agree with you and change them.

That, my friends, is freedom at its most basic level.
He probably thinks that road access easements are communism.

"That landlocked guy made a deal with the previous owner. I shouldn't be bound by that contract."

That contract created an easement to run with the land. A subsequent purchaser can either buy with the easement, or buy another plot of land. It is no different from a seller requiring the same thing in the contract.

"COMMUNISM! FREEDOM HATERS!!!! UNIONS!!! GAAAAHHH!!"
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 15:56   #236
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Willing to give up freedom? For me it is more like entering a contract to live near people with similar views and taste which promotes my community as a whole. If I give up the freedom to paint my house puke green and let the grass grow knee heigh then so be it, it is against my personal preferences anyway and is a 'freedom' I would never use. If I did not agree with the terms I would not enter into the agreement.
EXACTLY what I meant - I couldn't have said it better.
Old 10-18-2012, 18:45   #237
TK-421

Quote:
It's not "giving up freedom", it's "giving up the **** we don't do anyways, to make sure that the people around us won't do that **** too."

Frankly, I don't want my house to be puke green, I don't want to have my grass be knee high, and I don't want my neighbor's houses having any of that **** too. So if an HOA is what it takes to make sure that doesn't happen, then so be it. It's not like I'm giving anything up, I'm just making sure that I'm surrounded by people I want to be surrounded by, instead of having it be a crap shoot and leaving it up to chance.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 20:46   #238
ray9898

Quote:
EXACTLY what I meant - I couldn't have said it better.
Alrighty then....if that is enought to ruffle your freedom feathers then so be it.
Old 10-19-2012, 17:04   #239
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Now the stick-up-their-butt, tall grass phobes try to cover themselves with issues like easements. The big government beat goes on.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 18:20   #240
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

I had to report some neighbors to my HOA today.

One parked in his driveway, and wasn't perfectly centered in the drive way. By my measurements, he was 1.5 inches closer to the right edge than the center. And that's just unacceptable, hurting my property values like that.

I reported a second because they left a venetian crooked in the window. It's unbelievable that people are so incompetent that they would harm their property values as well as mine.

Another is having a party tonight, and he had the audacity to put balloons on his mailbox. Well, that dog just won't hunt. If I hear music, he's going to regret it.

Thank goodness for HOA's.

Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?
Rooster Rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 18:45   #241
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
I had to report some neighbors to my HOA today.

One parked in his driveway, and wasn't perfectly centered in the drive way. By my measurements, he was 1.5 inches closer to the right edge than the center. And that's just unacceptable, hurting my property values like that.

I reported a second because they left a venetian crooked in the window. It's unbelievable that people are so incompetent that they would harm their property values as well as mine.

Another is having a party tonight, and he had the audacity to put balloons on his mailbox. Well, that dog just won't hunt. If I hear music, he's going to regret it.

Thank goodness for HOA's.
Old 10-19-2012, 19:00   #242
Annoyedgrunt
Dry Heat my ASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
I don't either. No amount of American flags they like to display in their yards will convince me they are patriots, freedom lovers, or anything else.
Especially when their HOA tells them that they can't have those flags in their yard in the first place, so even if they want to tell everyone how patriotic they are, they can't.

Annoyedgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 14:34   #243
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Quote:

effing clueless.
You support entities that try to make themselves all-in-one rule makers, enforcers, and interpreters, but somehow I'm the clueless one.
Old 10-20-2012, 15:10   #244
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
If he has already contracted with his neighbors and part of that contract prohibits him from selling to anyone not willing to also be bound by that contract then he can't sell to you unless you also agree to join and abide by the HOA rules. See how simple that is? It's not that you are being forced to join a contract with the neighbors so much as he is bound to respect his.
I'm signing the contract as it reads. I'm not signing on to some anal entity that changes their whimsical rules to make that contract unrecognizable. Constitutions supersede such democracy. See how simple that is?
Old 10-21-2012, 21:16   #245
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Constitutions supersede such democracy. See how simple that is?
The Constitution regulates what government can and can not do, not what a private entity like an HOA can do. There are legal limits to an HOA's authority, but the COTUS has nothing to do with it.
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 21:37   #246
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
You support entities that try to make themselves all-in-one rule makers, enforcers, and interpreters, but somehow I'm the clueless one.
I support PRIVATE entities of any sort that one can freely join if one agrees to the same rules as the other members. And yes you are clueless.

Quote:
Constitutions supersede such democracy. See how simple that is?
Um, yeah??? nonsense.

Quote:
The Constitution regulates what government can and can not do, not what a private entity like an HOA can do. There are legal limits to an HOA's authority, but the COTUS has nothing to do with it.
whut about mah FREEDOM!!???!!
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 21:37   #247
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Quote:
The Supreme Court ruled a long time ago that private entities that are quasi-governmental in nature are subject to constitutional limitations. The case, in fact, was regarding deed covenants that restricted people from sellings to blacks.
Old 10-21-2012, 21:40   #248
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

UPDATE:

One of my neighbors had a visitor. His car was YELLOW with flame stripes, and one of those ORANGE rear spoilers. I could just hear my property value collapsing. And he parked that car in the driveway, NOT in the overflow parking area or outside the community. I reviewed the rules and cannot find anything about colors or visitors cars, so I am going to the monthly meeting, and propose the we dictate earth tones as the ONLY acceptable color of cars.

Do these animals intentionally harm my property values?

Ever notice that people who say "There is no I in TEAM" are the ones always riding your coattails?
Old 10-21-2012, 21:41   #249
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Quote:
I support PRIVATE entities of any sort that one can freely join if one agrees to the same rules as the other members. And yes you are clueless.

Um, yeah??? nonsense.

whut about mah FREEDOM!!???!!
I support private entities too, until they start deriving special powers from legislatures. Look at HOAs in Florida. That privilege subjects them to constitutional limitation.
Old 10-21-2012, 21:48   #250
Rooster Rugburn
Got Pignose?

Also, I would like to get the opinion of the GT brain trust.

I've noticed a a couple\few people living here have going to those thin, racing tires. Do those hurt property values? I'm thinking that we need a ban in our community.

And speaking of tires. I'm thinking of a ban on tires that aren't Michelin. Does that make sense? A couple of my neighbors aren't using Michelin tires, and as we all know, a lot is riding on our tires. I think anything not Michelin should be banned. I'm thinking of bringing this up at the next meeting.