GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 22:07   #21
GPBob
Member
 
GPBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 97
This may have some bearing. I posted this on another Glock forum website.

"If you look at your recoil spring assembly on your 27, you will notice that it is bowed (not perfectly straight). If you place the bow of the spring facing downward toward the frame, you may experience problems with the field stripping. If you place the spring in any other way that is to say bow up or sideways you'll be fine. Before I figured this out I would occasionally have a hard time with field stripping. So much so that I gouged the inside of the frame of my 26. I noticed when cleaning my guns with a friend who also owns a 26, that his frame was gouged in much the same way. He didn't notice the gouges until I mentioned them.

When the bow is toward the frame the rear contact point of the RSA is tilted back toward the slide lock bar so when you pull down on the slide lock you inadvertently pull the RSA from the barrel. I have muscled the slide off in this situation and caused the frame gouging. The better way is to push down on the front of the exposed RSA and re seat the rear portion onto the barrel."

You are probably aware that their are some dimensional difference in the slides length between the two generations, according to Glock's website.

Last edited by GPBob; 10-17-2012 at 22:08..
GPBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 22:46   #22
flw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBob View Post
This may have some bearing. I posted this on another Glock forum website.

"If you look at your recoil spring assembly on your 27, you will notice that it is bowed (not perfectly straight). If you place the bow of the spring facing downward toward the frame, you may experience problems with the field stripping. If you place the spring in any other way that is to say bow up or sideways you'll be fine. Before I figured this out I would occasionally have a hard time with field stripping. So much so that I gouged the inside of the frame of my 26. I noticed when cleaning my guns with a friend who also owns a 26, that his frame was gouged in much the same way. He didn't notice the gouges until I mentioned them.

When the bow is toward the frame the rear contact point of the RSA is tilted back toward the slide lock bar so when you pull down on the slide lock you inadvertently pull the RSA from the barrel. I have muscled the slide off in this situation and caused the frame gouging. The better way is to push down on the front of the exposed RSA and re seat the rear portion onto the barrel."

You are probably aware that their are some dimensional difference in the slides length between the two generations, according to Glock's website.
What is meant by bow of the spring? Its a captured spring so I'm confused here. Thanks.
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 22:58   #23
GPBob
Member
 
GPBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post
What is meant by bow of the spring? Its a captured spring so I'm confused here. Thanks.

Lay your captured spring on the table and roll it around. You will notice that it is not perfectly straight, but slightly bowed.
GPBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:45   #24
JohnnieBush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
NEW Glock g27 with problems!

I'm now authorized to "post", so I like to include this information on my new Glock g27 Gen 4 on this forum. My problem seem to have much in common with what RedState is describing.

What I did, - was to ask members to let me know if they had a perfectly working G27 whose RSA (Return Spring Assembly) WASN'T tearing the guts out of their gun. And, yes, I now know that it's normal for the spring to come out of it's normally retained position. (Just put it back in place when you reassemble the pistol.)

----------------------------------------

I just purchased a new Glock G27 (Gen4) on Sunday, October 7th. (My first Glock ever) Even when cycling the action by hand and disassembling the pistol, the spring was becoming jammed between the barrel and the frame and was almost impossible to disassemble. When I was able to disassemble the pistol, I was scratching the heck out of the interior of the frame. This problem made me positively sick on a brand new gun!

I wrote to Glock describing the problem, and they replied!

"It is normal for the recoil spring to drop out of the half circle notch. It should be placed in that notch prior to reassembly."

Hmmmm . . . doesn't seem normal to me, but then again they are the experts on Glocks!

I went out yesterday and put 50 rounds through the pistol to make sure that everything was normal when firing it. When I got home and was able to disassemble the pistol, my brand new gun didn't look pretty. The polycarbonate frame was badly scarred and I am sure that the damage and self-destruction will only continue if I keep firing the gun. I simply don't like to see a brand new gun being destroyed right before my very eyes.

I own a lot of handguns, and this NEW Glock 27 Gen 4, which is three days old, is more damaged and scratched than any other gun that I own! And, some of them are 50 years old.

I took a few pictures as best I could and will take any suggestions on how to remedy the situation!

----------------------------------

I wanted to provide this forum with an update on my progress on my problem. I shipped my Glock G27 off to the factory this afternoon via FedEx Overnight at a cost of $64.47 with Insurance. I paid $549.99 for the gun plus $32.99 Sales Tax plus $2.00 for the Background Check plus a $3.00 Gun Tax. With the return shipping, my total cost is now up to $652.45 for my first foray into the Glock Community. Thatís a lot to pay for a gun that cost less than $100 to manufacturer. Yeah, I know itís hard to believe. Everyone should start by reading the book Glock: The Rise of Americaís Gun! I think that most people that are reading this forum would really enjoy it.


It's hard for me to believe that ANY manufacturer, even Glock, or their professional representative would SUGGEST that itís NORMAL for a recoil spring to jump out itís assigned position and gouge (metal on plastic) the polycarbonate frame of a gun every time itís fired or cycled by hand! John Browning would be turning over in his grave to hear such a absurd story or his ghost would be wailing in extreme pain!

I'll keep people posted of the outcome to my G27 problem.
This is the link to photos of the my Glock damages:

[URL]https://www.dropbox.com/sh/feh3h8xusxond28/R12IwAMjHK[/URL]
JohnnieBush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:37   #25
GPBob
Member
 
GPBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieBush View Post
I'm now authorized to "post", so I like to include this information on my new Glock g27 Gen 4 on this forum. My problem seem to have much in common with what RedState is describing.

What I did, - was to ask members to let me know if they had a perfectly working G27 whose RSA (Return Spring Assembly) WASN'T tearing the guts out of their gun. And, yes, I now know that it's normal for the spring to come out of it's normally retained position. (Just put it back in place when you reassemble the pistol.)

----------------------------------------

I just purchased a new Glock G27 (Gen4) on Sunday, October 7th. (My first Glock ever) Even when cycling the action by hand and disassembling the pistol, the spring was becoming jammed between the barrel and the frame and was almost impossible to disassemble. When I was able to disassemble the pistol, I was scratching the heck out of the interior of the frame. This problem made me positively sick on a brand new gun!

I wrote to Glock describing the problem, and they replied!

"It is normal for the recoil spring to drop out of the half circle notch. It should be placed in that notch prior to reassembly."

Hmmmm . . . doesn't seem normal to me, but then again they are the experts on Glocks!

I went out yesterday and put 50 rounds through the pistol to make sure that everything was normal when firing it. When I got home and was able to disassemble the pistol, my brand new gun didn't look pretty. The polycarbonate frame was badly scarred and I am sure that the damage and self-destruction will only continue if I keep firing the gun. I simply don't like to see a brand new gun being destroyed right before my very eyes.

I own a lot of handguns, and this NEW Glock 27 Gen 4, which is three days old, is more damaged and scratched than any other gun that I own! And, some of them are 50 years old.

I took a few pictures as best I could and will take any suggestions on how to remedy the situation!

----------------------------------

I wanted to provide this forum with an update on my progress on my problem. I shipped my Glock G27 off to the factory this afternoon via FedEx Overnight at a cost of $64.47 with Insurance. I paid $549.99 for the gun plus $32.99 Sales Tax plus $2.00 for the Background Check plus a $3.00 Gun Tax. With the return shipping, my total cost is now up to $652.45 for my first foray into the Glock Community. Thatís a lot to pay for a gun that cost less than $100 to manufacturer. Yeah, I know itís hard to believe. Everyone should start by reading the book Glock: The Rise of Americaís Gun! I think that most people that are reading this forum would really enjoy it.


It's hard for me to believe that ANY manufacturer, even Glock, or their professional representative would SUGGEST that itís NORMAL for a recoil spring to jump out itís assigned position and gouge (metal on plastic) the polycarbonate frame of a gun every time itís fired or cycled by hand! John Browning would be turning over in his grave to hear such a absurd story or his ghost would be wailing in extreme pain!

I'll keep people posted of the outcome to my G27 problem.
This is the link to photos of the my Glock damages:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/feh3h8xusxond28/R12IwAMjHK
I am very sorry to read about your dilemma. I took a look at you photos and that's about how the inside of my 26's frame appears. When you field strip your 27, is it hard to take down? If that is the case, then it is your field stripping that is doing the damage and not the actual shooting. Maybe your RSA is so warped that it is disengaging and causing the damage when firing. Hopefully Glock replaces your frame and RSA. You should have been sent a prepaid shipping label from Glock.
GPBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:46   #26
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 22,945
Sorry to read about and see your issue. My "range" G26 has more rounds through it than the other G26 (I'd guess maybe 3-4000 but just a guess. I can't balance my checkbook let alone manipulate a spreadsheet to keep accurate track of rounds.) and it has no signs of that gouging at all. I am no expert but that just does not look right to me.
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:17   #27
JohnnieBush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Epilogue - Now You Know the Rest of the Story!

Epilogue Ė A Happy Ending

I want to update everyone reading this forum on the outcome to my problem with my G27 Gen 4 Glock. After shipping the pistol off to Glock, which I wasnít really authorized to do, - I had simply informed them that they were getting the pistol back and I asked them to evaluate the problem that I was having!


I shipped it FedEx overnight and had record of the receipt of the pistol at the Glock factory. Quite a while went by and on Day 29 I received a call from Lee at the Glock factory to discuss the problem. I asked him replace the damaged frame with a new frame, which I didnít feel could be repaired to like new condition. With a little reluctance, I was told that he had to talk with his supervisor. The new frame was APPROVED!


I then discussed my cost of sending my new G27 back for repair. He told me that Glock would NOT pay for any of shipping costs to return my new pistol to the factory. But, he did offer to replace my sights with the Glock Night Sights to at least partially compensate me. So, thatís the story and we parted as friends, - no complaints about Lee.


Yesterday was my Glockís 36 Day Odyssey away from home, - a FedEx Truck arrived with the little box to sign for. What a happy looking little gun. I instantly took it apart to examine the new frame and viewed what looked like the brand new pistol that I had purchased the first week in October. Their packing list was straight forward, - INSPECTED, REPLACED FRAME, MEETS FACTORY SPECS, TESTED OK.


Now to the fun part! Lock myself in a dark room and look at the new Night Sights! (Better than telling time with a new Rolex) They look really nice to me!


Now to the real fun, - add some bullets and start shooting! I shot a box of 158 Gr. Federal Copper Jacket Solids without any malfunction in any way. Then I tried 25 of my own reloads, knowing full well that reloading is NOT APPROVED by Glock. I had spent an inordinate amount of time making sure that my 135 Grain JHP Nosler looked like factory ammo. I even went so far as taking each individual cartridge and dropping it in the chamber of my removed barrel. After hearing the happy little thunk of the each cartridge bottoming out and then effortless falling out of what appears as a slightly oversized chamber, I loaded of up the clips and started firing. Again, no surprises of any sort. The gun fired flawlessly every time and is deadly (Scary) accurate at 25 yards!


I had noticed, upon inspecting the pistol, that there was little or no lubricant showing on the factory returned pistol. Yes, I know that this is NORMAL. On page 26 of my Glock manual, under the section on Cleaning the Field Stripped Pistol, there is a note under the SLIDE stating that the copper colored lubricant found on portions of the slide of a brand new GLOCK pistol should not be removed, as it will help in the long-term lubrication of the slide. Well, I didnít find any of this copper based colloidal lubricate on my slide, so I added an extremely light coating of Nuclear Never Seize 2000, which is an anti-galling copper based lubricant to the slide rail. Now the gun looks like a brand NEW gun from the factory again!

Glock getís Four and a Half Stars out of a possible Five Stars, - which is an outstanding GRADE! Had I received a cash reimbursement for my return shipping cost of the new gun, I would have chosen to award them the full 5th STAR.

Regardless, I am 100% satisfied with the gun at this time.
JohnnieBush

Last edited by JohnnieBush; 11-15-2012 at 08:20..
JohnnieBush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:13   #28
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!
 
Arc Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 10,956
Blog Entries: 55
Glad everything worked out all right for you, John. One suggestion: Remove the anti-seize compound from, both, your slide rails (Where it should NOT be.) and from the slide's reset cam. (Where it no longer needs to be.)

Ref: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=574
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:30   #29
JohnnieBush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Launch Control - All Systems are NOMINAL!

Further Update, - Spent yesterday afternoon shooting the newly repaired G27 Glock and have managed to reach my 200 round threshold. Yes, I know this gun is still a babe in the woods! Although I was told that the gouging was once normal, the new NORMAL leaves the frame unscathed in any way, what a pleasant surprise.

I was so excited after returning home that, I ignored my better judgment and cleaned the little baby. I probably used some unauthorized solvent (like Hoppeís #9) and some Rem Oil for lubrication, but the pistol hasnít dissolved yet!. A little bit baby Rem oil goes a long way.

Iíve attached a couple of photos to document the lack of abuse on the new frame. I wish all stories had a happened ending.




Respectfully,
JohnnieBush
Attached Thumbnails
General Glocking - Click for larger version   General Glocking - Click for larger version  
JohnnieBush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 13:27   #30
mongo356
Senior Member
 
mongo356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: IL
Posts: 886
Good deal

There is only two ways to get the gouging

1- Most common, someone maybe a person looking to buy the gun not necessarily you didn't put the spring back in the ASSEMBLY notch and replaced the slide back onto the frame- pushing the spring back into that ASSEMBLY notch must be done every time.

2- A RSA happened to become badly out of spec and caused it- rare but not impossible.

BTW the spring will move out of the half moon ASSEMBLY notch and fall down to operating position, that is normal. There's and assembly position and an operating position.

If you study the way a Glock works there is no way the RSA will stay in contact with the barrel and still work. When you assemble the gun the spring falls down and the rear of the spring rests against the polymer frame (just above the slide lock spring). When you remove the slide the barrel notch catches the top of the spring on the way off and brings the spring with it.

Glad Glock got you cleared up. I have had several Sub-compact Glocks and they are in my opinion the perfect size.

Last edited by mongo356; 11-16-2012 at 13:47..
mongo356 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:58.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 905
289 Members
616 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31