SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:10   #1
Booker

My Ruger SR22 Report

Picked up a new SR22 on Sunday.

Today is Wednesday and my hand still hurts but the blisters are healing. I'm getting the feeling back in my fingers and my hand no longer looks like a crippled birds foot.

I had no idea that this little 22 was such a firecracker and would cause so much hurt, but I finally got the damn small grip sleeve off and replaced it with the large one.

Now it's time to go shoot the little monster!
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:23   #2
itstime

Was it really that hard or sarcasm? . I'm on a 22 kick lately and this may be my next after another pink one for the better half.

Shoot the dang thing and let me know how it goes.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 13:37   #3
Booker

No, it was that hard. Funny thing is that as I was on my knees crying out to the heavens, my cripple bird-foot right hand touched the grip sleeve and it slide off!

That brought tears to my eyes because I did not know how I managed to remove the grip sleeve! I am afraid to repeat the process for fear that it doesn't work again!

Will shoot it tomorrow!
Old 10-17-2012, 14:12   #4
eb07
Sharkin'

Yeah, swapping the grips is an exercise in frustration, anger, and rage. Thank god I only had to do it once.
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:11   #5
Booker

Ok, here's the report.
It would seem natural to compare the Ruger SR22 to the Walther P22.

The Ruger feels more substantial in the hand. It just feels solid where the P22 feels like a toy.

The Ruger has a safety which is also a decocker while the Walthers' safety is just a hammer block. Both have a magazine safety. The Walther has an internal frame lock which requires a special key. The Ruger has no internal lock.

The recoil spring on the Ruger is shorter than the mile-long spring on the Walther. The Ruger is easier to break down and reassemble.

Both have ambi magazine releases. The Ruger is in the traditional american style while the Walther is aligned along the trigger guard.

Both came with two magazines. Ruger provided mag extensions for both magazines while Walthers' mags came with a flush fit mag and a extended mag. The extension do not add any capacity to the magazines.

The Ruger has an Aliminium slide while the Walther is a Zinc alloy.

Both have adjustable sights buth the Walther came with several front sight posts of different heights. Both have adjustable stocks, The Ruger has a small and large grip sleeve while Walther provides 3 different inserts.

I fired just over 10,000 rounds through my Walther P22 before the slide blew apart. A new slide assembly from Smith & Wesson was $65.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Walther P22 Slide 002.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	228450

Click image for larger version

Name:	Walther P22 Slide 003.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	228451

At the Range:
We are no longer allowed to take photos at the range since we had a visit from the Secret Service. Some guy posted pictures on-line of an Obama image the he shot to hell!

I fired a variety of bulk pack ammo that I had stashed from Y2K. The ammo was from Federal, Winchester, Remington and CCI.

The only ammo the gave me any problems was a truncacted bullet from Remington, everything else function perfectly.

Groups at ten yards varied from three inches to just over 1 1/2 inches.

CCI mini mags gave the best results. I fired 100 rounds of each brand. The groups did get tighter the more I shot, so I expect the accuracy to improve as all the moving parts break in more. No Failures to Fire or Extract. 4 Failure to Feed with the Remington truncacted ammo.

Overall I am very happy with this pistol. Price was $320 from Sportsman Warehouse.
Old 10-18-2012, 22:00   #6
Bill Keith

Thanks for the review!
Bill Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:43   #7
F_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
Picked up a new SR22 on Sunday.

Today is Wednesday and my hand still hurts but the blisters are healing. I'm getting the feeling back in my fingers and my hand no longer looks like a crippled birds foot.

I had no idea that this little 22 was such a firecracker and would cause so much hurt, but I finally got the damn small grip sleeve off and replaced it with the large one.

Now it's time to go shoot the little monster!

I left the small sleeve on mine. It doesn't bother me and my 7 year old grandson can shoot it.

F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 20:10   #8
bac1023

Thanks for the info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:25   #9
MK34_Techrep

I picked up a SR22-CT aliitle over a month ago and to date I have put 1855 rds thru the barrel with no malfunctions. Shot 750 rds of CCI-Blazer, 555 rds of Winchester white bulk and 550 rds of Federal Bulk. The laser is sighted in for 7 yds and it is dead on, the SR22 has been a fantastic plinker and I would highly recommend it. I got it a local gun show for $359.
MK34_Techrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:20   #10
bykerhd

I bought one a couple months back.
Struggled a bit to replace the grip sleeve with the larger one.
But, all has been great since.
Fun and reliable little plinker.

Be careful if you disassemble the magazines to reassemble the "button" to the follower correctly.
Trust me when I say it can be mounted left, right, up or down.
It will still work, but the disconnect and slide lock may not be happy.
Best to do one magazine at a time so the other can be used as a model.
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 22:22   #11
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

For whatever reason, I found the grip sleeve very easy to change. Really... on and off very easily. As easy as changing a magazine. No kidding.

Love my SR22 Pistol!
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote