Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:39   #151
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

Not true at all. The best predictor in politics of future behavior is party affiliation and pecking order.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:41   #152
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
Not true at all. The best predictor in politics of future behavior is party affiliation and pecking order.

Quite insightful... The Okie Corral

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:49   #153
okie
GT Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3670 View Post
But unless I'm mistaken he hasn't even come close to pushing this issue, and outside of the direct question probablywouldn't even consider it.
o is waiting for second term, then ALL hell will break loose
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:52   #154
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Dutchman View Post
The NRA endorsed Romney.

Gun control is very low on the American people’s list of issues.

It would be political suicide to push gun control so even Obama, rated the most Liberal Senator (Biden was rated 2nd) did not touch guns.

Remember who demands gun bans whenever there is a mass shooting. It is only and always the Democrats and we remember.

And now Obama let is slip. Obama wants an AWB and Obama will have more flexibility in a second term.

And remember, Obama likes to bypass Congress and use Executive Orders; expect an AWB Executive Order under Obama.
Not only did Obama mention he wants a new AWB, he want to make handguns more expensive. Here is a direct quote I grabbed from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
Obama quote from the debate:

“My belief is that, (A), we have to enforce the laws we’ve already got, make sure that we’re keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, those who are mentally ill. We’ve done a much better job in terms of background checks, but we’ve got more to do when it comes to enforcement.

“But I also share your belief that weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don’t belong on our streets. And so what I’m trying to do is to get a broader conversation about how do we reduce the violence generally. Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.”

I guess my guns are more important to me than a promise made to Jeremy.
So expect gun and ammo to be taxed so that that the average joe cannot afford to shoot anymore.

Romney did some stupid things in the past, but he is commited to keep the Status quo with the current gun laws. Also, unlike Obama, he will listen to the GOP voters and the NRA. You got to vote for Romney if you want things to stay they way they are with gun laws.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:58   #155
JFrame

I guess we need to stop talking about Obama simply in the context of an AWB, and just refer to a gun ban in general.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:36   #156
Maxx702
Infamous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post

Romney did some stupid things in the past, but he is commited to keep the Status quo with the current gun laws. Also, unlike Obama, he will listen to the GOP voters and the NRA. You got to vote for Romney if you want things to stay they way they are with gun laws.
I find it amazing (in a disappointing sort of way) that some people here fail to recognize the dangers of allowing the clearly anti-gun President to serve a second term.

The empty suit community organizer serves at the pleasure of the Democrat Party. Some here have been lulled to sleep by Obama's sympathetic media, others are taking a stand against why they see as a wishy washy RINO.

There is nothing pro 2A or even moderate about Obama.
We probably would have seen an AWB in Congress had the Dems not dedicated their efforts on Obamacare in 2009 and lost their super-majority in Congress as a result.

Like it or not, It's Romney or Obama. The distinction should be clear.
Maxx702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:41   #157
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
Quite insightful... The Okie Corral

I should have also qualified that with saying I was referring more to CONGRESS than the office of POTUS, but it does apply to who is in POTUS as well to some degree.

Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:47   #158
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

It doesn't matter which candidate takes office, if an AWB was presented to their desk, I'm confident they would sign it. All it would take is a few more shootings to get us to the point of Congress trying to implement feel-good laws, whether AWB or otherwise.

I'd be more concerned with some type of UN agreement to disarm the population implemented by Obama than a new AWB.

Last edited by Fear Night; 10-17-2012 at 07:50..
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:56   #159
mgs
Always Carrying

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
http://www.infowars.com/obamas-gun-c...g-sales-worry/
* 1994 to 2001 – Obama was on the board of the anti-gun Joyce Foundation. This foundation is the largest funding source for radical anti-gun groups in the country.
* 1996 – Obama supported a ban on the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns.
* 1999 – Obama proposed a 500 percent increase in the excise taxes on firearms and ammunition. This tax would effectively punish gun owners for buying guns and ammunition.
* 2003 – Obama voted in support of legislation that would have banned privately owned hunting shotguns, target rifles and black powder rifles in Illinois.
* 2004 – Obama voted against legislation intended to protect homeowners from prosecution in cases where they used a firearm to halt a home invasion.
Now that's some past behavior!
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:23   #160
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
You never know with our current court. Johnny boy might crawfish and drill us in the ass on guns just like he did on Obummercare.
But you're still forgetting the point that, whether you like the method or not, the healthcare reform WAS passed through both the Senate and the House, at the time with Democratic majorities. Now the Republicans have the House (and don't seem likely to lose it) while the Dems have the Senate. If your belief and faith in the Republicans is so strong, then you have to realize this would never clear COMMITTEE, let alone come to a floor vote and pass in the House. And if it doesn't pass there, it doesn't MATTER what the President wants.

And for those saying "Executive Orders!!!", when the fight was so hot for the healthcare reform, why didn't he save himself the trouble and just do it as an EO?? The answer is because that's simply not the way it works. EOs are not the "word of God coming down the mountain", regardless of who's writing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post
The fact that you all want to argue semantics, instead of the actual topic.
Words mean things.
And I have yet to see anyone else address the ONE word that I think tells the REAL story of the President's answer:

Reintroduced

Politicians parse their words carefully, and some more than others. Do you think this one doesn't know EXACTLY what he was saying? He didn't say passed. He didn't say enacted. He didn't say in place. He said Reintroduced. So it gets read in the Senate well, sent to some committee, and dies a natural death. The President KEPT his campaign/debate promise, and then no one cares again.

So, yes, "Words mean things."
Old 10-17-2012, 08:38   #161
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:41   #162
Glotin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
But you're still forgetting the point that, whether you like the method or not, the healthcare reform WAS passed through both the Senate and the House, at the time with Democratic majorities. Now the Republicans have the House (and don't seem likely to lose it) while the Dems have the Senate. If your belief and faith in the Republicans is so strong, then you have to realize this would never clear COMMITTEE, let alone come to a floor vote and pass in the House. And if it doesn't pass there, it doesn't MATTER what the President wants.

And for those saying "Executive Orders!!!", when the fight was so hot for the healthcare reform, why didn't he save himself the trouble and just do it as an EO?? The answer is because that's simply not the way it works. EOs are not the "word of God coming down the mountain", regardless of who's writing them.

And I have yet to see anyone else address the ONE word that I think tells the REAL story of the President's answer:

Reintroduced

Politicians parse their words carefully, and some more than others. Do you think this one doesn't know EXACTLY what he was saying? He didn't say passed. He didn't say enacted. He didn't say in place. He said Reintroduced. So it gets read in the Senate well, sent to some committee, and dies a natural death. The President KEPT his campaign/debate promise, and then no one cares again.

So, yes, "Words mean things."
You are completely ignoring the Supreme Court. We are ONE justice away from the Supreme Court ruling that the right to keep and bear arms is a collective right of the militia, not an individual right. That was the dissent in Heller.

Neither Congress nor the President has to do a damn thing. Obama just has to appoint another liberal justice and we no longer have (according to the gov't) an individual right to own or carry guns.

The Law
Glotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:53   #163
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glotin View Post
You are completely ignoring the Supreme Court. We are ONE justice away from the Supreme Court ruling that the right to keep and bear arms is a collective right of the militia, not an individual right. That was the dissent in Heller.

Neither Congress nor the President has to do a damn thing. Obama just has to appoint another liberal justice and we no longer have (according to the gov't) an individual right to own or carry guns.
Based on what? SCOTUS isn't going to re-write the law, there has to be some legal challenge to it. Could it happen? Sure, but precedent play. Stare decisis has historically been a major factor in whether the courts even TAKE a case, let alone judging the outcome.

But let's suppose your assumption is right. Whoever is nominated STILL has to go through a Senate confirmation. Are you saying you lack the confidence in the Republicans in the Senate from blocking any extreme appointments?

This level of "doom and gloom" is only benefiting two groups - manufacturers and sellers. And while I think it's great for them, these fears are not grounded in how the system actually works.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:01   #164
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post

I bet tonight is seen as a draw (so far)
Looks like the PEOPLE think that Obama LOST. . .
MSNBC's Undecided Voter Panel Swayed by Romney
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...ey_654728.html

Luntz Focus Group Of Mostly Former Obama Voters Switch To Romney
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...to_romney.html

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -

Last edited by wjv; 10-17-2012 at 10:02..
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:08   #165
Glotin

Quote:
But let's suppose your assumption is right. Whoever is nominated STILL has to go through a Senate confirmation. Are you saying you lack the confidence in the Republicans in the Senate from blocking any extreme appointments?
Why on earth would I have any confidence that a Republican minority in the Senate would block any "extreme" appointments?

They didn't block Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor or Kagan...

Any Obama appointment is going to be "extreme".

The Law
Glotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:11   #166
G36's Rule

The Okie Corral
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:15   #167
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:26   #168
GAFinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
And if there would be no grandfather clause, you may lose your investment.
Watch the run on the so called assault weapons in the gun stores.
Its about to get more desperate than 4 years ago now that it may be on the horizon. But will his dream of outlawing weapons include a no possession/no transfer rule?
There's also been the talk of the EPA banning lead ammo and the talk of "strengthening" background checks, both of which could be done via executive order/executive fiat.
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:28   #169
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

fun stuff, an old high school friend and Facebook friend mentioned something about how debates mean nothing and don't sway voters. I was not being offensive but mentioned that I thought Obama's mention of wanting another AWB would be impacting negatively on the fence sitters or independents, citing how Gore lost the Presidency when gun control was brought into the fray. Hoooo doggie, did I get jumped "did Fox news tell you that?" "you are being an a$%^%l"

I remained calm and cited my sources, as I was continually attacked and verbally assaulted by the lefties. I took personal pleasure in watching them come unraveled after all I said was that it was my opinion that there probably already was an impact and that Obama even mentioning an AWB was going to be jumped on quickly. So much for the party of equality and tolerance.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:57   #170
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glotin View Post
Why on earth would I have any confidence that a Republican minority in the Senate would block any "extreme" appointments?

They didn't block Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor or Kagan...

Any Obama appointment is going to be "extreme".
This is my point, and Ginsburg is creepin up on 100.

Last edited by Travclem; 10-17-2012 at 11:02..
Travclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:30   #171
F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post

Obama won the Libya round....he really turned it on. Much of the rest has been back and forth.
He only survived because the "impartial moderator" jumped to save his @ other wise Romney had him on the ropes on that one.

And on energy, loved when Obummer kept asking "needs to lay off the Candy" to move on to a new topic.
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:42   #172
GMB

Why was that misleading debate question even allowed?

There are not a bunch of AK-47s "on the streets".

Uninformed soccer moms will take this and interpret it to mean that there is currently a glut of full-auto AKs being sold out of hot dog stands on each street corner.

Obama himself said that criminals and gangbangers don't even utilize AKs in their crimes, and admitted that his home city of Chicago (despite having among the worst records on gun rights and some of the most restrictive laws anywhere) has crimes committed by youths with handguns instead of quote-unquote "assault weapons".

I hope beyond hope that your average voter doesn't think AWB-redux has any chance of preventing mass shootings or street crime.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:51   #173
Fox
Varmit Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott3670 View Post
But unless I'm mistaken he hasn't even come close to pushing this issue, and outside of the direct question probablywouldn't even consider it.
Obama is a real charmer. You would trade your gun rights to get another term for Obama.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:57   #174
Fox
Varmit Control

Quote:
Based on what? SCOTUS isn't going to re-write the law, there has to be some legal challenge to it. Could it happen? Sure, but precedent play. Stare decisis has historically been a major factor in whether the courts even TAKE a case, let alone judging the outcome.

This level of "doom and gloom" is only benefiting two groups - manufacturers and sellers. And while I think it's great for them, these fears are not grounded in how the system actually works.
Sotomayor and Kagan lied to Congress in their confirmation hearings when asked about their opinion on the 2nd Amendment RTKBA.

Once appointed, they went on to join the dissenting liberal activist judges in stating that there is no individual right to keep and bear arms.

I see that you are from Illinois and likely a union type that would gladly trade in his guns to get Obama four more years of power.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:59   #175
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
The Okie Corral
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debate