SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-14-2012, 14:11   #1
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Gas Block

I am interested in converting the standard front sight on my Colt 6720 to a gas block which would accept a flip up sight in the front. I am not sure what to get or what is recommended for the lightweight profile barrel of the AR6720. I would essentially like to have a front sight I could use with my removable carry handle or switch out to a rear flip up sight if I plan to ever use a scope or holographic sight. Any help and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 14:56   #2
pgg00

are you looking for a gas block with a rail or just a low profile gas block that can be mounted under a free float? Daniel Defense had a decent low profile gas block that will fit under rails for the light weight barrel. There are others out there also with rails on them (yankee hill). Just remember that the rail will get hot if you do alot of shooting so a metal flip up sight would need to go on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 15:10   #3
Cole125
Silver Membership

Just for your information, you CAN use a scope or red dot sight on a rifle with a fixed front sight. With a magnified optic over 4x or so the front sight will not be visible at all.

That said you can swap the fixed front sight base, for a low profile gas block with a rail fairly easily.

This is what you want, clamp on low profile gas block w/rail on top for gas block height folding front sight.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...-M16-GAS-BLOCK

edit; you want a .625 gas block for a skinny barrel.

Last edited by Cole125; 10-14-2012 at 15:16..
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 15:30   #4
mjkeat

Don't ruin your Colt w/ a railed gas block. That's so Bushmaster, lol. Take a dremel to the OE front post and make a low-pro GB. It's a much better option than any set-screw GB.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 15:56   #5
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgg00 View Post
are you looking for a gas block with a rail or just a low profile gas block that can be mounted under a free float?

Not sure to be quite honest. If I get an optic for it, it would most likely be something like the Aimpoint Pro. Looking for opinions on the best way to set my rifle up for that. I thought I would need to eliminate the fixed front sight post in order to do that. I'm still learning here...
NECC #401
Old 10-14-2012, 15:57   #6
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Don't ruin your Colt w/ a railed gas block. That's so Bushmaster, lol. Take a dremel to the OE front post and make a low-pro GB. It's a much better option than any set-screw GB.
Something scares me about taking a dremel tool to my new rifle... Never heard of that before. Guess I'll have to do some research.
NECC #401

Last edited by skeeter7; 10-14-2012 at 15:57..
Old 10-14-2012, 16:00   #7
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Leave the Colt alone,......no reason to change the gas block for
Aimpoint use.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 16:03   #8
mvician
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Leave the Colt alone,......no reason to change the gas block for
Aimpoint use.

This ^

don't butcher your Colt, leave the FSB as it is for either a magnified optic or a red dot.
Old 10-14-2012, 16:38   #9
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I vote to leave it alone. If you want to put a longer rail or something that actually requires a low profile gas block, shave your FSB. A few minutes will net you this:

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

Plus however long you want to spend prettying it up. I didn't worry about making it too perfect looking, as it's under the handguard. This way is cheap (free), easy, quick, and avoids the problems of a set screw or clamp on block.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 16:58   #10
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter7 View Post
Not sure to be quite honest. If I get an optic for it, it would most likely be something like the Aimpoint Pro. Looking for opinions on the best way to set my rifle up for that. I thought I would need to eliminate the fixed front sight post in order to do that. I'm still learning here...
A Aimpoint works just fine with a fixed front sight. The dot just sits above the front sight post.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 17:06   #11
cyphertext

Another vote for leaving the front sight alone. No need to change it.
cyphertext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 19:03   #12
mjkeat

OP, were you wanting to add a longer rail or just concerend about the FSP getting in the way?
Old 10-14-2012, 19:06   #13
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
If you want a FSB that flips down, PRI makes a pretty hot one, IMO.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 19:25   #14
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Quote:
OP, were you wanting to add a longer rail or just concerend about the FSP getting in the way?
My question too.

OP, if you aren't wanting to add an extended handguard, don't worry about the sight up front just leave it alone.

When running that PRO, you'll be sighting with both eyes open. Right eye sees the dot, wrong eye sees the target, your brain puts the two together. Put dot on the target, pull trigger. You'll never even notice the front sight. This is also why these optics can still be used, even with the front cover closed.

Because the "co-witness" on my CompM2 is in the lower 1/3rd, I don't even use a flip-up on the rear sight on my Beater AR. Iron A2 front sight, Daniel Defense fixed rear sight.

When shooting in very bright sunlight, I leave the front cover on, makes the dot easy to see, even on low-power settings.

Quote:
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 22:12   #15
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Quote:

Thanks so much for the fast replies everyone!

I was just concerned about the front sight post getting in the way. I'm fine with the rail length as I run a KISS setup and only have a Magpul AFG2 attached to my quad rail right now. I like the way it looks with the factory FSP and would rather leave it alone instead of butcher it but I thought for sure it wouldn't work with an optic attached to the rifle because of other setups I have seen out there with flip up front sights. I guess you do learn something everyday. I will leave my Colt untouched in that aspect then. The 6720 came with a Matech rear flip up sight. Should I run that when I run an optic or is there something else I should be looking at when I take my carry handle off for use when I run the Aimpoint?
NECC #401
Old 10-14-2012, 22:19   #16
mvician
Lifetime Membership

The MaTech is fine.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:49   #17
mjkeat

Leave it then. If you're not wanting a longer rail there's really no reason to mess w/ anything.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:46   #18
The Pirate
HARRRRR!!!

Scopes will generally see through front sight posts and red dots look over them. You'll forget it's there in a week.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine