SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:21   #21
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC View Post
My point exactly. People act like a deer is some kinda armored creature. I would be willing to bet no one can feasibly illustrate why a 10mm shouldn't be used on medium game.
True. I have never heard of any deer wearing body armor.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:51   #22
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
And a .223 or .22lr can "handle" medium game "in a pinch" if you hit it right that does not mean it is ideal, optimal or humane. You yourself think 10mm out of a Glock is "ideal" for taking medium game. It is not. The 10mm fanboys just don't get it, I do not even know why I bother.
Was wondering that myself!

If you watch that clip, of Keith Warren, taking that elk, is in fact, using a G21, and in .45ACP, one would have to conclude, the 10MM would be a terrible choice! That elk was dead before the body hit the ground! Not saying that a 45, or 10, are the ideal caliber, for hunting elk, but, if a 44 mag is, could the elk have fallen dead any quicker?
Old 10-14-2012, 12:57   #23
avenues165

These guys know what they are doing, more hunters should know what they are doing.

Part of the reason I quit hunting is because of fools that don't bother to figure out what they need to do. I used to duck hunt and the dikes would be littered with dead and dying birds that folks would make no attempt to bag. I watched a group of hunters that would drop birds and then watch them swim away to die slowly. Every time they shot something they would yell at it like they were in a war.

If you hunt make sure you know what you are doing. A 10mm seems capable, but if you are a beginning hunter a Glock 10mm might not be the best choice.
avenues165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 13:41   #24
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenues165 View Post
These guys know what they are doing, more hunters should know what they are doing.

Part of the reason I quit hunting is because of fools that don't bother to figure out what they need to do. I used to duck hunt and the dikes would be littered with dead and dying birds that folks would make no attempt to bag. I watched a group of hunters that would drop birds and then watch them swim away to die slowly. Every time they shot something they would yell at it like they were in a war.

If you hunt make sure you know what you are doing. A 10mm seems capable, but if you are a beginning hunter a Glock 10mm might not be the best choice.
If you are a beginning hunter - any handgun would be a substandard choice.
Old 10-14-2012, 14:03   #25
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
Was wondering that myself!

If you watch that clip, of Keith Warren, taking that elk, is in fact, using a G21, and in .45ACP, one would have to conclude, the 10MM would be a terrible choice! That elk was dead before the body hit the ground! Not saying that a 45, or 10, are the ideal caliber, for hunting elk, but, if a 44 mag is, could the elk have fallen dead any quicker?
Both are highly edited videos. The first video shows him shooting twice with the first shot doing nothing. Yeah real friggin effective. How many shots did they edit out between the first and last shot? I prefer not to have to shoot an animal twice if at all possible and have a quick humane kill.

This thread is a prime example of why many states have laws with minimum caliber requirements for certain game. It is obvious there are many people out there that cannot be responsible enough to pick the right tool for the job.

Quote:
If you are a beginning hunter - any handgun would be a substandard choice.
Why. You can be a life long (medal winning) handgun shooter and be a beginner hunter. Not everyone starts hunting early in life. The right handgun and that experienced shooter should have no problem humanely taking an animal.

Last edited by dkf; 10-14-2012 at 14:10..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 14:08   #26
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Interesting that it's legal.
Old 10-14-2012, 14:21   #27
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Both are highly edited videos. The first video shows him shooting twice with the first shot doing nothing. Yeah real friggin effective. How many shots did they edit out between the first and last shot? I prefer not to have to shoot an animal twice if at all possible and have a quick humane kill.

This thread is a prime example of why many states have laws with minimum caliber requirements for certain game. It is obvious there are many people out there that cannot be responsible enough to pick the right tool for the job.

Why. You can be a life long (medal winning) handgun shooter and be a beginner hunter. Not everyone starts hunting early in life. The right handgun and that experienced shooter should have no problem humanely taking an animal.
What's your criteria for the "right tool for the job"?

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 14:32   #28
dkf

Quote:
What's your criteria for the "right tool for the job"?
For what?
Old 10-14-2012, 14:36   #29
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
For what?
Well, medium game.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
Old 10-14-2012, 14:40   #30
dkf

Quote:
Well, medium game.
For me minimum rifle heavy for caliber .243, minimum handgun .44mag/.45lc.(deer) Not long range. Preferred for deer is .308, .270, 30-06 and etc.

Last edited by dkf; 10-14-2012 at 14:42..
Old 10-14-2012, 14:45   #31
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
For me minimum rifle heavy for caliber .243, minimum handgun .44mag/.45lc. Not long range. Preferred for deer is .308, .270, 30-06 and etc.
So, I guess you use full tilt .44 and .45lc with the heaviest available bullets then?

Old 10-14-2012, 14:45   #32
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
For me minimum rifle heavy for caliber .243, minimum handgun .44mag/.45lc.(deer) Not long range. Preferred for deer is .308, .270, 30-06 and etc.
I agree with your choices.
Old 10-14-2012, 14:58   #33
dkf

Quote:
So, I guess you use full tilt .44 and .45lc with the heaviest available bullets then?
That is what is nice about using a tool more suited for the job. You do not have to use the heaviest and fastest loads. Something like a 240gr XTP or flat nose hardcast is fine for me.
Old 10-14-2012, 15:14   #34
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
That is what is nice about using a tool more suited for the job. You do not have to use the heaviest and fastest loads. Something like a 240gr XTP or flat nose hardcast is fine for me.
Well man, I hope you know that the 240grain .44 has a SD of .185 and the 230grain 10mm is at .205SD and looks to be a fine tool for the job for anyone. The 200grain 10mm is at .179SD which is more comparable to the 240grn .44 and should be more than fine for a deer, especially at 800+ ft lbs from a 6" bbl. The difference between .400 and .429 is pretty nil if we are talking hardcast. The penetration of either is more than enough for a deer.

Old 10-14-2012, 15:21   #35
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
You can kill a deer with a .22lr or an elk with a .223. It does not mean either are ideal for the job. What these videos of the magical 10mm, .45 and etc do is make people who do not know any better think the 10mm or any service caliber is ideal for hunting medium to large game. They are not.
You mean like the thread where people wanted to go deer hunting with a 9mm. People were adamantly advocating that silliness.

I have to wonder at what distances. Was it it wondering lost under a deer stand, and took a near point blank to the brain pan or spinal cord?
Old 10-14-2012, 15:22   #36
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
You mean like the thread where people wanted to go deer hunting with a 9mm. People were adamantly advocating that silliness.

I have to wonder at what distances. Was it it wondering lost under a deer stand, and took a near point blank to the brain pan or spinal cord?
Can't you go back to that other thread and cry while hugging a tree instead of this one?

Old 10-14-2012, 15:24   #37
Tiro Fijo

For elk, Elmer Keith recommended a minimum of .33 cal. in a rifle to consistently & humanely harvest them. Obviously, bullet technology has advanced since then but hunters haven't. Technology very rarely trumps fieldcraft for hunting. Personally, I think even an accomplished & wise hunter would not venture below a large 30 cal. today with modern hunting bullets for elk with a rifle.

The playing field for handguns has changed dramatically with the X Frame S&W revolvers. If you discount them you are left with the .44 & .45 cal. Rugers using a large Keith style SWC or a WFN at 50 yds. & in the hands of an accomplished shot a few may stretch it out to 100 yds. with iron sights. Since penetration is far more important than expansion in these scenarios I would avoid the HP's. Just my 2 cents.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 15:25   #38
Tiro Fijo

Double post.

Last edited by Tiro Fijo; 10-14-2012 at 15:26..
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 15:25   #39
ModGlock17

Here's a thread for hunting. 10mm ! Enjoy them pictures. Get a drink, first.

All the Best.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1373461

Last edited by ModGlock17; 10-14-2012 at 15:26..
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 15:53   #40
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
For elk, Elmer Keith recommended a minimum of .33 cal. in a rifle to consistently & humanely harvest them. Obviously, bullet technology has advanced since then but hunters haven't. Technology very rarely trumps fieldcraft for hunting. Personally, I think even an accomplished & wise hunter would not venture below a large 30 cal. today with modern hunting bullets for elk with a rifle.

The playing field for handguns has changed dramatically with the X Frame S&W revolvers. If you discount them you are left with the .44 & .45 cal. Rugers using a large Keith style SWC or a WFN at 50 yds. & in the hands of an accomplished shot a few may stretch it out to 100 yds. with iron sights. Since penetration is far more important than expansion in these scenarios I would avoid the HP's. Just my 2 cents.
Elmer Keith lives on in 2012!