Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-13-2012, 22:58   #76
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
Or he could choose to make better business decisions over his mentality of cradle to grave guarantees.
I'm beginning to feel sorry for you.
Old 10-13-2012, 23:00   #77
mixflip

I will say this in spite of this one issue (my truck getting towed) Heck its paid in full ($70,000) so there is an upside for us at least.

My HOA does keep the property clean and fixes anything broken quickly. They have locks on the pool and gym to keep out the kids from the outside neighborhoods. We have great security guards from Allied Barton that actually are awake and walk the property to deter crime. The entry gates are nice even though they probably dont stop anybody from piggy backing in. Oh and I dont know exactly how scientific or politically correct it is but we somehow keep out the low life thug types. Maybe thugs dont like to pay more than their welfare check? lol

Its been nice other than this one day. Like I said they did pay the bill with no argument so my HOA must be one of the better ones.

When its time to buy, it will be an acre or more with a well, out of town.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Last edited by mixflip; 10-13-2012 at 23:06..
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 23:02   #78
J.Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednoved View Post
That sucks. Do visitors get towed as well? Or do you have to get temporary passes and notify them?
Yes... You have to get temporary passes for anyone parking overnight and write name, address and phone number on a piece of paper and leave it on the dash "in case".

I almost got a $50 fine for backing in to a parking spot... That's right... You're not allowed to back into parking spots.
J.Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 23:05   #79
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
OK, so you don't get it.
I get it alright. You choose the value of material things through communal contracts. I value property rights and some basic individualism. We simply value different things and have different political philosophies.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 23:29   #80
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Kill View Post
Yes... You have to get temporary passes for anyone parking overnight and write name, address and phone number on a piece of paper and leave it on the dash "in case".

I almost got a $50 fine for backing in to a parking spot... That's right... You're not allowed to back into parking spots.
That's the kind of overbearing HOA that I couldn't stand to live under.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 23:33   #81
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Quote:
I'm beginning to feel sorry for you.
I actually feel sorry for you and your mentality that says you are entitled to all these guarantees. I've read your other posts. You want to fine motorists running out of gas because you think you're entitled to commute to work unimpeded. You want regulation so Fed Ex doesn't deliver you an overly warm bottle of wine.

It seems that you don't have the ability or the elbow grease to run your own life, so you think government and quasi-government bodies should fill the gap.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 23:35   #82
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
I get it alright. You choose the value of material things through communal contracts. I value property rights and some basic individualism. We simply value different things and have different political philosophies.
Bless his heart.
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 23:38   #83
Tilley
Man of Steel

You had prior knowledge that any car parked on the street MUST have a parking permit or else it will be towed. It got towed...bad on you.

My HOA sucks because it does NOT enforce parking rules (or any rules for that matter), and my block looks like a freaking trailer-park. I paid over a half a million dollars to live on Tobacco Road..wanna trade?
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 23:42   #84
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

I have no sympathy for anyone that lives in a HOA neighborhood. Y'all deserve the grief you get from those petty dictatorships. Paying property taxes is bad enough. I'll be damned if I would live anywhere my neighbors could tell me how to live.
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:06   #85
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Some of us live in the real world. Come on over sometime.
If that is what you call "the real world", then count me out. I don't live near any neighbors, I cut my grass when I want, and I put whatever I want in my yard. I'll be damned if you or anybody else is going to tell me what I can do and when I can do it so that your snooty little estate 'keeps it's value'.

If I were to live near people like you, I'd let my grass grow 3 ft high just to piss you off.

Quote:
And I have no interest in living near people who won't make a simple commitment to take care of their home.

You still have not given me or anyone else here a valid reason as to why you have a say so in what other people do with their homes or property. Unless they were stupid enough to sign a contract with an HOA that you belong to, you have no say so whatsoever. Just like your neighbors may choose to not mow their lawns, you also had the choice of not living near others.

People need to learn how to mind their own business instead of sticking their noses elsewhere. But, I've come to the conclusion that people who like HOA's are nosy ass people anyway, so it suits them perfectly. If you lose sleep at night over what your neighbor's yard or house looks like, I seriously pity you.

Last edited by tantrix; 10-14-2012 at 02:26..
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:13   #86
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
HOAs. More government for people who just can't get enough.
Omg I just agreed with you
Old 10-14-2012, 03:33   #87
*ASH*

i thank god everytime i read about a HOA that i have over 100 acres and can do whatever i want on my land . ive always lived in the sticks and value the quiet and no neighbors , ive met people who like HOA living and they are all the same in my observations ,

they ***** about petty things
so uptight they could **** a lump of coal
and pretty much a group of people i have no interest in being around
Old 10-14-2012, 04:35   #88
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Omg I just agreed with you
And with a few keystrokes, my trust and faith in gravity, natural law, and all things irrevocable has been shattered.

Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:48   #89
frizz

Quote:
HOAs. More government fthese or people who just can't get enough.
Government? These are private contracts. Nobody forces you into a HOA.

Why do you hate freedom?
frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:06   #90
Recalcitrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBaldy View Post
... there are no chartreuse or Pepto-Bismol pink houses...
I wouldn't choose to live in HOA property because I don't like the idea of asking anyone what color I can paint my house, having to cut my grass on a schedule, or needing visiter stickers.

If you choose to live with an HOA and by the rules they've established, more power to you. But I don't think it's something that could work for me.

Hell, neighborhoods are looking drab nowadays. Maybe we need some colorful houses.
Recalcitrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:45   #91
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBaldy View Post
... there are no chartreuse or Pepto-Bismol pink houses...

Just admit it already. You spent some portion of your life living near the sea in the Caribbean/West Indies/Belize or Mexico/Central America!
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:49   #92
rednoved
NRA Member

Quote:
I drive a full size truck, and I rarely pull into a spot. I almost always back in. That would take some getting used to.
rednoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:00   #93
groundhawg

Not sure if it's still warn where you live but if your "friend" in the HOA were to leave his windows down you might "borrow" his little yellow sticker and then "drop a dime".
Ps din't read the whole thread so sorry if this is a repeat idea.
groundhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:31   #94
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
If I were to live near people like you, I'd let my grass grow 3 ft high just to piss you off.
Obviously. Probably the kind of person who would cut someone off in traffic and go slow just to prove they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
You still have not given me or anyone else here a valid reason as to why you have a say so in what other people do with their homes or property.
He has, you're just not listening and are the type of person to do something to make someone miserable just out of spite.

And this is not a city/country thing. I gew up in TX and the SE in the country (and never in an HOA). We had a phrase for people who let their houses look like crap.......
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:44   #95
LAWDOGKMS

I live in one..

A gated-community of less than 40 homes set in a cedar forest...atv trails to to the river below the ridgeline...really great place..

Te HOA is not overbearing, the cost is $400/yr which pays to mow lots that haven't been built on, common areas, fix the security cameras (which recognize digits, even infrared in the dark, read and log plates)' fix gates and fix roads if need be..

The HOA is very reasonable, with no ridiculous rules or sanctions, loke no restrictions about what you plant, if your garage is open or not etc...and everyone has an acre or more

Every resident gets a spreadsheet with address, phone number and email addresses of every other resident. I LOVE THIS and it makes for a neighborhood with no strangers.

The rules that would affect most people (the ones that affect me are):

-3000 sf minimum for single story, 3500 double story minimum, brick or rock construction only

-no rv's or boats parked in the driveway or on the curb for more than 1 week at a time (if you needed longer, an exception would be made)

-external structures (shed etc..) must be built or look like your house ( at a minimum, a brick fascia on the front of the shed

- no fences in front yards, back fences can only be of black (see thru) wrought iron

-no burning of yard refuse ( but you can have a firepot, so most of us just burn incrementally in our firepits and call it a campfire)

-pets must be fenced in the back or confined with underground electric fence

-each resident has an individual code to the gate and it must NEVER be given out. Guest can call from the gate with a keypad, and homeowners can open the gate with a code on their phone

Even LE doesn't have a code, but has to run a particular tone of siren for a full 3 seconds at the gate and the system will open the gate.

Other than the (no burning of yard refuse), I really like that the home sizes/prices, the secure gate etc...keeps the riff raff out and the neighborhood is awesome..

HOA's do serve a useful purpose and as long as they're not overbearing, I think they're a good idea.

My last house was an equivalent house off a county road, and weekly I had to clean up cups, cans, bottles outside my property lime along the road. Soooo....glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. Everyone in this neighborhood takes care of and cares about the neighborhood.

Last edited by LAWDOGKMS; 10-14-2012 at 08:49..
LAWDOGKMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:48   #96
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
The fact that you don't even get it speaks volumes about the insidiousness of the mentality.
Actually, from reading the thread, it's apparent that you don't get it. Comparing HOAs to communism is just laughable.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:50   #97
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
Just admit it already. You spent some portion of your life living near the sea in the Caribbean/West Indies/Belize or Mexico/Central America! :
Lol! Guilty. Lived 10 years on St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:21   #98
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjk5 View Post
Obviously. Probably the kind of person who would cut someone off in traffic and go slow just to prove they can.
Bad analogy. You're obviously still not getting it. When I cut MY grass doesn't effect YOU, no matter how you spin it.

Quote:
He has, you're just not listening and are the type of person to do something to make someone miserable just out of spite.
Again, if the length of a neighbor's grass makes you miserable, I pity you. I think when people complain about other's lawns, they should go over and offer to cut it themselves and stop pissing and moaning.

Quote:
And this is not a city/country thing. I gew up in TX and the SE in the country (and never in an HOA). We had a phrase for people who let their houses look like crap.......
And we have a phrase for those men I see outside every Sunday spraying Miracle Gro on their 'lawns' while their wife barks orders at them. It's no better than the phrase you used either.
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:22   #99
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
I am renting a townhouse that has a HOA... I know... Stupid me! Anyway, when we moved in we registered our plates for parking. I used to take home a work car when I was on call(would leave my POV at work) but stopped due to little yellow pieces of paper under the windshield that said the vehicle would be towed since it didn't have the 1"x1" parking sticker.

Two weeks ago the wife and I bought a new car and I transferred the tags... The same tags that are registered... This morning I go outside and my brand new car is gone. After I called the PD to report it stolen they said they were notified it was towed. I contacted a rep with the HOA and he told me it was towed because it didn't have that little parking sticker and even though the plate was registered it didn't matter since it didn't have the sticker. I asked what ever happened to leaving the "warnings" on the car so I could have gotten a new sticker since I JUST bought it...and my old car was here 3 months before they finally sent the stickers without a problem. He told me they don't leave the yellow papers anymore since people don't listen to them anyway so now they just tow cars without warning. $175 later I have my car back... I know I'll lose but it's going to be an all out *****fest on Monday when we call the main office.

I can't wait until April and I can move the hell out of here!!

Sounds lie you didn't follow the rules! If a sticker was required,
& you received warnings, you deserve the tow bill.
Sad but true, read the HOA rules, follow them, no problems.
Ignore many warnings, get your car towed,.....no pity from me.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:32   #100
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Here's my guess, your HOA has subcontracted the parking sticker validation duty to a towing company. The tow truck driver comes in and looks for anything and everything that doesn't have a sticker and tows it. It's not in the towing companies interest to give you any warning. That's not how they make money.

We have an HOA here, but they are great. Fees are only $300 per year and the HOA runs the marina for a profit covering most of our neighborhood expenses. No trashy houses, everything runs smooth and I, personally, have never gotten a warning on anything. I wouldn't have it any other way.
CavDoc: "If you have to pretend that a person with a different opinion has an opinion other than his own in order to score points in an argument, you've forfeited any points that you pretended to have."
CavDoc: "You consider yourself as non-religious, and I consider you a religious zealot."

JBnTX: "Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can worship any God, anyway you see fit or not even worship any God if you so choose. [...] Christianity should be the only religion protected under the constitution, and congress shall make no law restricting its practice."
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote