Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-13-2012, 21:51   #51
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH237 View Post
Yea your right, I read about someone moving to the country from the city. They started calling the police because tractors were driving down FM roads. No joke.
Oh I totally believe that. Many city dwellers are 100% in the dark about rural life.
Old 10-13-2012, 21:56   #52
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

This thread is a classic example of a symptom of an insidious disease. Communism falls around the world, but the control freaks are alive and well in the U.S.

If you don't want your home value to drop, then go live by yourself. If you don't like your co-workers, then start your own business. Big government mentalities never look to themselves. Their solution is to disdain things like property rights for their own ends. Their inability to make good on a their own results in a nanny mentality that makes A mockery of America the free.

Spend some time in third world countries to learn what real freedom is all about.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 21:59   #53
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
The hell it is. Since when is your neighbor responsible for the value of your home or property??

Answer: They aren't.
You, sir, have a fair bit to learn about the real world, and how society works.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 22:00   #54
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporaticus View Post
He reminds me of a guy I used to work with who had a similar mentality. If guys neighbor didn't cut his grass on Saturday he would come to work Monday mad at the world because they didn't cut their grass, using the idiotic "hurting my property values" crap. Monday after work, if they hadn't cut their grass, he would bang on their door and when (they stopped answering) they answered, he would demand that they cut their grass. When they stopped answering the door for him, he would call the HOA and complain. The HOA didn't do anything, and that would make him even madder. This idiot had almost a blood feud with his neighbors because they would cut their grass in a week and a half, instead of when he felt they should cut it. It was the same with childish issues like watering the yard in the dry summer, washing and waxing their cars etc. I just cannot believe how petty some people can be.

I don't know what these idiots think about property values and such. Do they really think when their neighbor doesn't cut their grass, they lose 15% of the equity in their home? And it's restored when the grass is cut? If their neighbor cuts it every other day, does that make their property value increase? IMO, it's just cover for a bunch of busy bodies who should have been born old ladies.
are you being intentionally obtuse?

.264 never said that. When you have a neighborhood peppered with unkempt lawns,homes and junk-ass cars you bet your ass it drops the value. Your co-worker was an a-hole, plain and simple. But I work hard to make my home look nice and it annoys me to see lazy jerks making my home look like crap because THEY don't care.

Much like when I see dirty, ill behaved kids out and about. It irks me, I work hard to bring my kids up right. They're not my kids, but it still annoys me to see them behave badly.

Wait: much like the same reason I send my kids to private school, to surround them (and me) with people that by in large, care more and work harder. Much like an HOA.
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 22:01   #55
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
He reminds me of a guy I used to work with who had a similar mentality. If guys neighbor didn't cut his grass on Saturday he would come to work Monday mad at the world because they didn't cut their grass, using the idiotic "hurting my property values" crap. Monday after work, if they hadn't cut their grass, he would bang on their door and when (they stopped answering) they answered, he would demand that they cut their grass. When they stopped answering the door for him, he would call the HOA and complain. The HOA didn't do anything, and that would make him even madder. This idiot had almost a blood feud with his neighbors because they would cut their grass in a week and a half, instead of when he felt they should cut it. It was the same with childish issues like watering the yard in the dry summer, washing and waxing their cars etc. I just cannot believe how petty some people can be.

I don't know what these idiots think about property values and such. Do they really think when their neighbor doesn't cut their grass, they lose 15% of the equity in their home? And it's restored when the grass is cut? If their neighbor cuts it every other day, does that make their property value increase? IMO, it's just cover for a bunch of busy bodies who should have been born old ladies.
1. Don't be a jerk.
2. No one said simple and occasional un-mowed grass across the street hurts values by 10/12%. You are going to think I'm making this up - but I'm not. Around here we have extremely expansive clay soil, when people don't mow they usually don't water their grass properly either and that leads to shifting ground and broken irrigation pipes and that can lead to foundation problems and ultimately abandoned homes. The guy who can't pay to have his yard mowed or do it himself isn't going to have $5-30K in his pocket to fix his foundation. He is going to bolt.
3. HOAs tend to offer a bit of economic segregation and they maintain that segregation.
Old 10-13-2012, 22:03   #56
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
This thread is a classic example of a symptom of an insidious disease. Communism falls around the world, but the control freaks are alive and well in the U.S.

If you don't want your home value to drop, then go live by yourself. If you don't like your co-workers, then start your own business. Big government mentalities never look to themselves. Their solution is to disdain things like property rights for their own ends. Their inability to make good on a their own results in a nanny mentality that makes A mockery of America the free.

Spend some time in third world countries to learn what real freedom is all about.
Fail.

HOAs are simply private contracts in action. Marx hated private party contracts.
Old 10-13-2012, 22:05   #57
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjk5 View Post
are you being intentionally obtuse?

.264 never said that. When you have a neighborhood peppered with unkempt lawns,homes and junk-ass cars you bet your ass it drops the value. Your co-worker was an a-hole, plain and simple. But I work hard to make my home look nice and it annoys me to see lazy jerks making my home look like crap because THEY don't care.

Much like when I see dirty, ill behaved kids out and about. It irks me, I work hard to bring my kids up right. They're not my kids, but it still annoys me to see them behave badly.

Wait: much like the same reason I send my kids to private school, to surround them (and me) with people that by in large, care more and work harder. Much like an HOA.
So much win. I"m with you on the private school thing as well. My family has never spent better money.
Old 10-13-2012, 22:07   #58
KCHORNS

I never heard of HOA with those kind of rules. I couldn't live like that. We have a basic HOA that keeps our trash pick up costs reasonable. Other that the city has ordinances that help keep the city looking decent and I have been mowing three lawns on our block not including mine, because I don't want to call the city on my neighbors.
Old 10-13-2012, 22:11   #59
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
Fail.

HOAs are simply private contracts in action. Marx hated private party contracts.
Exactly, and you CHOOSE to move into an HOA controlled community, and you either CHOOSE to thumb your nose at your neighbors who entered into the SAME contract you did and say "eff you" to their entirely reasonable expectations or you adhere to the rules you agreed upon when you bought/rented the place.
Old 10-13-2012, 22:17   #60
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Quote:
Fail.

I have no interest in entering into a contract with you and other nannies. The contract is between me and the property seller.

Commies are anti-freedom for their own material gain. Most Americans also value things over freedom. It's a difference in values.
Old 10-13-2012, 22:17   #61
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Exactly, and you CHOOSE to move into an HOA controlled community, and you either CHOOSE to thumb your nose at your neighbors who entered into the SAME contract you did and say "eff you" to their entirely reasonable expectations or you adhere to the rules you agreed upon when you bought/rented the place.
It is precisely that simple.
Old 10-13-2012, 22:19   #62
Sporaticus
Aw sheet main

Quote:
1. Don't be a jerk.
2. No one said simple and occasional un-mowed grass across the street hurts values by 10/12%. You are going to think I'm making this up - but I'm not. Around here we have extremely expansive clay soil, when people don't mow they usually don't water their grass properly either and that leads to shifting ground and broken irrigation pipes and that can lead to foundation problems and ultimately abandoned homes. The guy who can't pay to have his yard mowed or do it himself isn't going to have $5-30K in his pocket to fix his foundation. He is going to bolt.
3. HOAs tend to offer a bit of economic segregation and they maintain that segregation.
It's the same mentality. In the OP, it was about a parking sticker, and people want to defend it. Property values aren't going to tank because the OP didn't get a sticker the first minute he could.

My coworker made grass cutting his issue. To hear him go off about his neighbors and their game of cat and mouse proved what a jerk he really was. Others make other petty things their issue. An American flag is often an issue.

But it still a bunch of busy bodies trying to have power over someone else, and using "property values" as their Holy Grail and justification. Most of the things people get so worked up over don't have the first thing to do with property values to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I would take a book learner over the assumption making that runs rampid on this forum.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rampid
Sporaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 22:20   #63
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
I have no interest in entering into a contract with you and other nannies. The contract is between me and the property seller.

Commies are anti-freedom for their own material gain. Most Americans also value things over freedom. It's a difference in values.
And I have no interest in living near people who won't make a simple commitment to take care of their home.
Old 10-13-2012, 22:25   #64
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Quote:
And I have no interest in living near people who won't make a simple commitment to take care of their home.
Then you should go live far away from everybody.
Old 10-13-2012, 22:26   #65
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Funny, I'm not in a HOA and everyone still takes care of their property. Weird.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 22:28   #66
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Quote:
Marx hated private party contracts.
Seems you do too.
Old 10-13-2012, 22:29   #67
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
It's the same mentality. In the OP, it was about a parking sticker, and people want to defend it. Property values aren't going to tank because the OP didn't get a sticker the first minute he could.

My coworker made grass cutting his issue. To hear him go off about his neighbors and their game of cat and mouse proved what a jerk he really was. Others make other petty things their issue. An American flag is often an issue.

But it still a bunch of busy bodies trying to have power over someone else, and using "property values" as their Holy Grail and justification. Most of the things people get so worked up over don't have the first thing to do with property values to begin with.

You make some decent points.

However, even a few homes with junk/dirty/crapped out cars, overgrown lawns or home disrepair, do negatively impact home values.
Old 10-13-2012, 22:30   #68
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Seems you do too.
Do you even realize how incredibly stupid that comment is in context?
Old 10-13-2012, 22:32   #69
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Sure. It's not you and the 90% of us who have a little pride and take care of our stuff. It's the 10%, maybe 5%, who don't I want insulation from.
Old 10-13-2012, 22:34   #70
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
It really depends on where you live. Back when I was growing up, we lived in a decent area. It was the richest town in the state, with the lowest crime rate, and was rated as one of the greatest towns to raise your kids in the whole state. Granted, we weren't as rich as most people in that town, we were solidly middle class. Had enough money to get buy and be comfortable, but couldn't buy every little extra thing we wanted. We weren't part of an HOA, but everybody kept their lawns mowed, their cars and houses clean, the kids were good and generally well behaved, as much as kids can be. Sometimes you get a good place, sometimes you don't.

Personally, as long as the rules aren't totally retarded, I wouldn't be against living in an HOA area, as most of the stuff that would be required I would already be doing, and it would be nice if everybody did the same. However, I would stay FAR away from the morons who don't let kids play in the yards, or sue families who try and build play houses in the back yard for their kids.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 22:35   #71
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
No. I should do precisely what I am doing, live in a neighborhood with a strong but narrowly focused HOA.
Old 10-13-2012, 22:37   #72
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
or he could choose to live by people who do not define their "personal freedom" as the right to live in a craphole, and have agreed in writing to respect their neighbors.

The simple act of agreeing to it is 90% of it. I have never owned a home NOT in an HOA and I have never seen a neighbor fined, summonsed, towed or marched into a cattle car and taken to the ovens by the HOA stormtoopers.

In general the type of people who agree to live by the rules are the type to follow the rules.

I like my placeto look nice, I like to live near people who like their places to look nice. Someone who says "I ain't agreein to no rules!!!" is typically not the kind of person to keep teir place up. Otherwise they'd say (like me and folks like .264) "well sure I'll agree to that, I would have done all that anyway".
Old 10-13-2012, 22:52   #73
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Quote:
Do you even realize how incredibly stupid that comment is in context?
The fact that you don't even get it speaks volumes about the insidiousness of the mentality.
Old 10-13-2012, 22:56   #74
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
The fact that you don't even get it speaks volumes about the insidiousness of the mentality.
OK, so you don't get it.
Old 10-13-2012, 22:57   #75
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Quote:
or he could choose to live by people ..
Or he could choose to make better business decisions over his mentality of cradle to grave guarantees.