Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 22:44   #101
G31
Senior Member
 
G31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Roanoke, VA; Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,366


Erased. Sorry, jb. Thought you were broadly bad mouthing all of us with that post before your last, but I was wrong. Just remember, anything is possible, though a lot is improbable.
__________________
Never underestimate the powers of stupid people in large groups.

Proudly shooting guns in: .40 S&W, 9mm x 19, .38 Spl, 357 SIG, .45 Auto, 10mm, .22 LR, .22 WMR, .223 Rem, .300 Win Mag, and 12 Ga.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by G31; 10-13-2012 at 22:50..
G31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 22:51   #102
jbglock
Senior Member
 
jbglock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 467
How much does a flashlight cost where some of you can't afford to keep one by your bed? Two by your bed? One on the other side of the bed by your spouse? I'm surprised that some of you can even afford to buy ammo to keep your guns loaded. Yes I use very expensive lights on duty. I want bright, o rings, and lights that work after hitting the concrete. But those cheaper led flashlights at every Wal-Mart in this country are bright enough to light a room, blind your intruder, use cheap and widely available batteries, and some are quite durable. Some of you think nothing of spending 2x or more on night sights vs. what a few good light would cost? I just don't understand the debate.
jbglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 22:52   #103
G31
Senior Member
 
G31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Roanoke, VA; Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,366


See my edit above.
__________________
Never underestimate the powers of stupid people in large groups.

Proudly shooting guns in: .40 S&W, 9mm x 19, .38 Spl, 357 SIG, .45 Auto, 10mm, .22 LR, .22 WMR, .223 Rem, .300 Win Mag, and 12 Ga.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 22:52   #104
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.
 
NeverMore1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Amarillo, Tx
Posts: 32,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
How much does a flashlight cost where some of you can't afford to keep one by your bed? Two by your bed? One on the other side of the bed by your spouse? I'm surprised that some of you can even afford to buy ammo to keep your guns loaded. Yes I use very expensive lights on duty. I want bright, o rings, and lights that work after hitting the concrete. But those cheaper led flashlights at every Wal-Mart in this country are bright enough to light a room, blind your intruder, use cheap and widely available batteries, and some are quite durable. Some of you think nothing of spending 2x or more on night sights vs. what a few good light would cost? I just don't understand the debate.
Me either, which is why I have both.
__________________
And if we should die tonight
We should all die together
Raise a glass of wine
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 22:55   #105
AK_Stick
AAAMAD
 
AK_Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alaska, again (for now)
Posts: 21,190
Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
You don't understand, because you either missed it, or never took the time to read it in the first place.


It was never about night sights being used instead of a light.


What it was, was a couple of us disagreeing with the premise that if you had a light, buying night sights is a waste.
__________________
Quote:
Thomas Paine:

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"

Last edited by AK_Stick; 10-13-2012 at 22:55..
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 23:38   #106
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 58,278


Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
What it was, was a couple of us disagreeing with the premise that if you had a light, buying night sights is a waste.
The premise was that tritium sights are wasted on civilians and cops because of the need for positive ID before shooting and not that night sight is a waste in general.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:25   #107
mjkeat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Well, it's called collateral damage. So, sad, too bad. Of course my training and conditioning were twenty years in the past. We didn't really care much about political correctness.
Nice try but you're as wrong as a guy w/ 40K pointless/incorrect/misleading posts. Target indentification is extremely important, military and civilian, contrary to your earlier statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
How many civilians spending times in total darkness with their relatives days on end so that they can learn each others' silhouettes?

What is it about you youngsters that you can't separate military service from civilian life?
You're wrong Col. Sanders. Darkness is not required to silhouette ones self. People have their own quirks, posture, stride, and body make-up. Think first, type later (or preferably not at all).
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:29   #108
Averageman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,012
When I deployed a lot and my young wife was at home with the dog and the baby the Shotgun was in the walk in closet.
The plan was to call the cops and let the bad guy have fun with the Doberman while she got in to the closet.
There were 5 doors between the front door and the closet and a Doberman with a bad attitude toward strangers.
The Shotgun went under the door knob and the wife and baby were behind the safe. I told her if that door knob turns pull the trigger.
Certainly moving about at night I would prefer a pistol, but as the tool of last resort a shotgun has it's place.
Averageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 16:12   #109
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 58,278


Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Nice try but you're as wrong as a guy w/ 40K pointless/incorrect/misleading posts. Target indentification is extremely important, military and civilian, contrary to your earlier statement.
Like I said, political correctness for GIs. Back in my days we shoot first and ask questions later. We don't clear rooms with shortened carbines either. That's why God invented frags and M203.


Quote:
You're wrong Col. Sanders. Darkness is not required to silhouette ones self. People have their own quirks, posture, stride, and body make-up. Think first, type later (or preferably not at all).
That they do, but once again, you must be one of those badass commandos who recognize all his relatives' silhouettes & movements even in the deep of night, freshly arised from a sleep. For the rest of us, we'd prefer flashlights or ambient light.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 16:42   #110
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
Exactly. I've always thought that night sights were the solution to a problem that didn't exist. For those that would advocate just shooting at a threatening looking shadow in a darkened house, I hope you can live with yourself if you kill someone that you didn't need to kill possibly. Don't bet your life on the sympathy of law enforcement though.
This. People claiming they need to see the front sight in a semi-lighted room to hit a target 15 feet away is pretty comical. It's also funny that they think the bad guy won't know where they are in a semi-lit room when they are only 15 feet away.

Using sights at all in a cqb situation is just silly. And yes, I have cleared many houses, and secured many criminals in same. You need light to see the subject in order to identify him and locate him. If you have that much light, a birthday candle will do, you can silhouette the gun on the subject.

Have a white light. My house is lit at night anyway. WTF has a pitch black house? Even if the power were out, I always, yes always have a light with me.

As for SG's and cqb, having knocked over more than ly share of lamps and pictures off the wall, I know how awkward they are in a house. Nothing is as handy inside a residence as a handgun.

When you are taking the slack out of a trigger and your target is 15 feet away, the last thing you will be looking at is your front sight. If your weapon is 30 inches long, you'll wish you had a pistol.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 16:45   #111
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 30,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post

When you are taking the slack out of a trigger and your target is 15 feet away, the last thing you will be looking at is your front sight.
Reports from some people involved in shootings say differently. This seems to vary between people and what you experience will not necessarily be what the next guy experiences.
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 16:50   #112
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Reports from some people involved in shootings say differently. This seems to vary between people and what you experience will not necessarily be what the next guy experiences.
I'm not going by reports. I can tell you with absolute certainty that you will be looking at what you believe is about to kill you. That won't be your front sight.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 16:51   #113
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 30,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I'm not going by reports. I can tell you with absolute certainty that you will be looking at what you believe is about to kill you. That won't be your front sight.
Because every single person in the world will have the exact same experience as you.

Not everybody who has BTDT says the same thing.
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 17:18   #114
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Because every single person in the world will have the exact same experience as you.

Not everybody who has BTDT says the same thing.
You're right, some people hit the gas prior to impact in a head-on collision instead of the brakes, so not every single person who has had crashes hits the brakes before impact.

We're talking about imminent death comeing from a subject 15 feet away, you look at your fancy sights if you want to.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 17:22   #115
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 30,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
You're right, some people hit the gas prior to impact in a head-on collision instead of the brakes, so not every single person who has had crashes hits the brakes before impact.
You're right, seeing your front site before you pull the trigger is a very bad, very dangerous thing that will likely lead to your injury or death.
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 17:28   #116
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
You're right, seeing your front site before you pull the trigger is a very bad, very dangerous thing that will likely lead to your injury or death.
No, no, you're right. You're right about everything and there really is no need, or room, for anyone else to post on GTalk about anything.

I'm going to make a motion, all threads on GTalk should be of the same format at the GATE section. They will all be confined to an initial question by an OP who will then be responded to by Warp. All others will be locked out from posting.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 18:54   #117
mjkeat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Like I said, political correctness for GIs. Back in my days we shoot first and ask questions later. We don't clear rooms with shortened carbines either. That's why God invented frags and M203.
So does everything have to be about combat? I thought war and civilian were totally sseparateof each other? Do you think that maybe there's a reason those tactics are mostly obsolete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
That they do, but once again, you must be one of those badass commandos who recognize all his relatives' silhouettes & movements even in the deep of night, freshly arised from a sleep. For the rest of us, we'd prefer flashlights or ambient light.
I'm starting to think so. It's strange because it seemed like a fairly easy thing to do for everyone. I guess it's a weak point for you. I'm sure there are other things you do well.

Recognizing family & friends in low light and the use of flashlights are two different subjects. I have a flashlight on or next to any firearm I keep by the bed.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 14:15   #118
KalashniKEV
Senior Member
 
KalashniKEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NoVA
Posts: 5,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Like I said, if you're a GI then target ID doesn't mean squat.
Lots of people are talking way out of their lane on this thread, but this one takes the cake.



There is a reason why shotguns in professional application are limited to breaching and non-lethal use. There is a reason why most professionally instructed Home Defense classes have nothing at all to do with a shotgun.

Defending your family is an emotional issue, so if you grew up with your "pappy" ranting about his "scattergun" and it got you all horny, then you aren't going to change your mind.

Shotguns are for breaching and non-lethal use... and ducks and clays if that's your thing...
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 15:08   #119
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Warp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NE of Atlanta
Posts: 30,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
There is a reason why most professionally instructed Home Defense classes have nothing at all to do with a shotgun.
What is that reason?
__________________
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 15:29   #120
KalashniKEV
Senior Member
 
KalashniKEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NoVA
Posts: 5,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
What is that reason?
Limitations of the platform vs. real and imagined advantages.
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:04.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,220
380 Members
840 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31