GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-13-2012, 19:37   #26
jp3975

How can they justify towing a vehicle like that?

What if your parents or friends are visiting? They can expect to walk outside to a missing car?

If I just bought a new car and they had it towed, Id be pissed. The responsible party would probably be getting a locking gas cap installed on their car.

They might also get their sticker scratched off at night and find their car towed in the morning.

Last edited by jp3975; 10-13-2012 at 19:38..
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:45   #27
RenoF250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp3975 View Post
How can they justify towing a vehicle like that?

What if your parents or friends are visiting? They can expect to walk outside to a missing car?

If I just bought a new car and they had it towed, Id be pissed. The responsible party would probably be getting a locking gas cap installed on their car.

They might also get their sticker scratched off at night and find their car towed in the morning.
Chain the axle to a post on the side the passenger side.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:52   #28
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiGregg View Post
I live in a large gated community called Rhodes Ranch. Our HOA makes sure people take care of their front yards, don't leave their trash out, they provide security, take care of and manage all the recreation grounds, including community pools, water park, gym, rec center, and the golf course and golf club. It is worth the $175/month I pay. It helps that it is run by people who care about the community, not just people in it for the power trip.
Yeah, sorry...you're not convincing anyone. HOA's aren't worth a damn even if you pay $1 a month.

$175/month to be an inmate?

Last edited by tantrix; 10-13-2012 at 19:52..
tantrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:55   #29
Keoking

[QUOTE=J.Kill;19514405]I used to take home a work car .... but stopped due to little yellow pieces of paper under the windshield that said the vehicle would be towed since it didn't have the 1"x1" parking sticker .... I asked what ever happened to leaving the "warnings" on the car .... He told me they don't leave the yellow papers anymore since people don't listen to them[QUOTE]

It sounds like the HOA should have towed one of your previous cars to teach a lesson sooner than later. It sounds like you had plenty of warning that parking was a hot button item.
Springfield Loaded (Black SS)
Sig P220 Stainless Elite
Keoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 20:12   #30
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

I wish it was not dark, I would take a picture right now to show you the difference between HOA and non-HOA.

I live in a small 'hood of nice newer homes on 3-5 acre lots, immediately north of us is an older 'hood with NO HOA. Half nice homes and half absolute crapshacks, the one directly behind me has 4 undtended Great Danes, 3 5th wheels, 3 corvettes in various stages of decay, a bradley GT that is 8-0% rust, several chodey Harleys, 4 "utility trailers" that all look like poop and assorted other white trash accoutrements scattered about the 5 acres.

You may have your opinions about HOA's, but some are good and some are bad, but one thing is a FACT: most people are inconsiderate lazy a-holes if left to thier own devices, and you cannot pick your neighbors. Better to have a set of rules to govern the place.
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 20:34   #31
sappy13

I cant stand HOA's, they are like nazis.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 20:38   #32
Trapped_in_Kali

The HOA is a big reason I got rid of my condo! We had an LAPD Captain who we had to sue every year for her unpaid dues (she would show up in uniform & pay 1/2 every year).
Trapped_in_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 20:42   #33
Ragnar

My neighborhood has an HOA, but I don't. My house was the first one built in the development. No paperwork in my closing docs for an HOA. So when they told me my garden shed wasn't good I told them to pound sand. And they left me alone after that. BWAHAHAHAHA!
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 20:46   #34
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
Can you provide some proof that HOA increase property value???
He shouldn't have to provide anything. He's 100% correct.
Old 10-13-2012, 20:56   #35
Calico Jack
NO QUARTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
He shouldn't have to provide anything. He's 100% correct.
Chris Matthews... is that you?

Sounds like an Obamanite.

Last edited by Calico Jack; 10-13-2012 at 20:57..
Calico Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 20:57   #36
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjk5 View Post
You may have your opinions about HOA's, but some are good and some are bad, but one thing is a FACT: most people are inconsiderate lazy a-holes if left to thier own devices, and you cannot pick your neighbors. Better to have a set of rules to govern the place.
It's not your business what your neighbor's yard or house looks like. They have a right to be a "lazy a-hole" if they choose.

Last edited by tantrix; 10-13-2012 at 20:59..
Old 10-13-2012, 21:03   #37
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrix View Post
It's not your business what your neighbor's yard or house looks like. They have a right to be a "lazy a-hole" if they choose.
sez someone's lazy a-hole neighbor.
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 21:05   #38
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

A. The OP should be pizzed no one deserves to be screwed over like that.

B. So far as home values go:
1. Our last home was in a strong HOA neighborhood. The sister neighborhood, an early split off actually, sported values consistently 8-13% less yay.
2. Regarding our new, actually old, home we pay $210 mo. for HOA dues. That gets us 24x7x365 off duty Dallas PD as security and they drive around in DPD squad cars. Crapped out cars are towed within hours. Unkept lawns are mowed with a bill sent to the homeowner. It's awesome. As I've mentioned several times we live in a neighborhood of older large homes on on large lots. One or two idiot neighbors could really hurt home values - that's simply not a problem with the HOA. Within a dense town I'd never consider owning a home in the $1 million and up range without an HOA. It'd be just too easy for one jackass to cost me $50K or $100K or a delayed sale etc.

Having volunteered on two HOA boards I can tell you without hesitation that most of the HOA horror stories we hear are whole-cloth BS or great exaggerations.
Old 10-13-2012, 21:05   #39
rednoved
NRA Member

That sucks. Do visitors get towed as well? Or do you have to get temporary passes and notify them?
rednoved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 21:07   #40
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Totally wrong. When the a-hole is costing me home value it is my business.
Old 10-13-2012, 21:15   #41
TK-421

Quote:
It is when it affects your house value and your finances that are based on your house value. Lets say two houses go up for sale, you buy one, some lazy guy buys the other. Yard is very rarely mowed, strewn about with debris, exterior of the house looks like ****, and the value on your house drops quite a bit because nobody wants to move into a house where they'd have a neighbor like that. Would you be pissed about it? Or would you just accept a substantial loss on your investment, because the guy next door wants to be lazy?
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 21:17   #42
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePirate View Post
Chris Matthews... is that you?

Sounds like an Obamanite.
Na. I just get annoyed when people asked for "proof".
A. This isn't a courtroom.
B. If the guy asking for "proof" does not like a statement it's up to him to show contrary evidence.
Old 10-13-2012, 21:19   #43
TH237

WOW...I'm glad I live in the country. I can shoot my guns if I choose to or mow or not mow. Itll be a sad day if some idiot comes to my door to tell me I need to cut my grass. They can keep there fancy living, I'll just stay country.
Old 10-13-2012, 21:22   #44
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH237 View Post
WOW...I'm glad I live in the country. I can shoot my guns if I choose to or mow or not mow. Itll be a sad day if some idiot comes to my door to tell me I need to cut my grass. They can keep there fancy living, I'll just stay country.
Country living is awesome but it isn't for everyone.
Old 10-13-2012, 21:25   #45
Sporaticus
Aw sheet main

Quote:
A. The OP should be pizzed no one deserves to be screwed over like that.

B. So far as home values go:
1. Our last home was in a strong HOA neighborhood. The sister neighborhood, an early split off actually, sported values consistently 8-13% less yay.
2. Regarding our new, actually old, home we pay $210 mo. for HOA dues. That gets us 24x7x365 off duty Dallas PD as security and they drive around in DPD squad cars. Crapped out cars are towed within hours. Unkept lawns are mowed with a bill sent to the homeowner. It's awesome. As I've mentioned several times we live in a neighborhood of older large homes on on large lots. One or two idiot neighbors could really hurt home values - that's simply not a problem with the HOA. Within a dense town I'd never consider owning a home in the $1 million and up range without an HOA. It'd be just too easy for one jackass to cost me $50K or $100K or a delayed sale etc.

Having volunteered on two HOA boards I can tell you without hesitation that most of the HOA horror stories we hear are whole-cloth BS or great exaggerations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I would take a book learner over the assumption making that runs rampid on this forum.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rampid
Sporaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 21:33   #46
TH237

Quote:
Country living is awesome but it isn't for everyone.
Yea your right, I read about someone moving to the country from the city. They started calling the police because tractors were driving down FM roads. No joke.
Old 10-13-2012, 21:33   #47
tantrix
J'aimeLouisiane

Quote:
Totally wrong. When the a-hole is costing me home value it is my business.

The hell it is. Since when is your neighbor responsible for the value of your home or property??

Answer: They aren't.

Last edited by tantrix; 10-13-2012 at 21:33..
Old 10-13-2012, 21:39   #48
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH237 View Post
Country living is nice if you have enough acreage that you can shoot your guns off whenever you want without pissing people off. But it sure did suck having to drive half an hour each way just to get to the grocery store when I lived with my grandparents who are out in the country. And, unfortunately, they only have five acres, with neighbors on both sides, and across the road. The houses are way too close together to shoot firearms without pissing off the neighbors.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 21:46   #49
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
The hell it is. Since when is your neighbor responsible for the value of your home or property??

Some of us live in the real world. Come on over sometime.
Old 10-13-2012, 21:48   #50
Sporaticus
Aw sheet main

Quote:

He reminds me of a guy I used to work with who had a similar mentality. If guys neighbor didn't cut his grass on Saturday he would come to work Monday mad at the world because they didn't cut their grass, using the idiotic "hurting my property values" crap. Monday after work, if they hadn't cut their grass, he would bang on their door and when (they stopped answering) they answered, he would demand that they cut their grass. When they stopped answering the door for him, he would call the HOA and complain. The HOA didn't do anything, and that would make him even madder. This idiot had almost a blood feud with his neighbors because they would cut their grass in a week and a half, instead of when he felt they should cut it. It was the same with childish issues like watering the yard in the dry summer, washing and waxing their cars etc. I just cannot believe how petty some people can be.

I don't know what these idiots think about property values and such. Do they really think when their neighbor doesn't cut their grass, they lose 15% of the equity in their home? And it's restored when the grass is cut? If their neighbor cuts it every other day, does that make their property value increase? IMO, it's just cover for a bunch of busy bodies who should have been born old ladies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I would take a book learner over the assumption making that runs rampid on this forum.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rampid
Sporaticus is offline   Reply With Quote