GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 16:07   #1
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender
 
uz2bUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: J-Ville NC
Posts: 3,620
Elk taken with 10mm

Don't know what load, but it did the job.

__________________
- Without idiots, there would be no baseline for common sense.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 17:40   #2
SDGlock23
Glockoholic
 
SDGlock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Forgetfulness
Posts: 7,504
I had seen that, but was that a 10mm or .45 since he didn't specify? The other guy was shooting 10mm for sure.
__________________
"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 17:48   #3
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender
 
uz2bUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: J-Ville NC
Posts: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
I had seen that, but was that a 10mm or .45 since he didn't specify? The other guy was shooting 10mm for sure.
Looked like a 10mm bbl diameter to me, also when he said he uses the .45 and 10mm with extended bbl, he ran his finger down the gun in hand while saying the 10mm portion. So I'm assuming 10mm.
__________________
- Without idiots, there would be no baseline for common sense.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 17:50   #4
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,860
Full-power 10mm's are indeed powerful.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 18:08   #5
alwaysshootin
Senior Member
 
alwaysshootin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Full-power 10mm's are indeed powerful.
Other than the largest of Grizzly's, can't imagine any North American game the 10MM won't work well on. Of course proper bullet selection is a must!
__________________
If guns kill people, then, I can blame my pencil on my spelling!
alwaysshootin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 18:55   #6
SDGlock23
Glockoholic
 
SDGlock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Forgetfulness
Posts: 7,504
I think it was a .45. In another video he states that he uses the G21 and his friend the G20. Plus in the elk video the Glock has a funky rear sight and in the video below he states it's his G21, it's got the funky rear sight also. He replied to a comment left by a viewer that he used a FMJ on the Elk for penetration but has started using Grizzly +P ammo, and they don't offer a +P 10mm. I think Mr. Warren should upgrade to the .45 Super

Here's the video:
__________________
"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:04   #7
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender
 
uz2bUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: J-Ville NC
Posts: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
I think it was a .45. In another video he states that he uses the G21 and his friend the G20. Plus in the elk video the Glock has a funky rear sight and in the video below he states it's his G21, it's got the funky rear sight also. He replied to a comment left by a viewer that he used a FMJ on the Elk for penetration but has started using Grizzly +P ammo, and they don't offer a +P 10mm. I think Mr. Warren should upgrade to the .45 Super

Here's the video:
GLOCK | Cartridge Choice for Hunting with a GLOCK - YouTube
Yea, maybe so. That vid leads me to believe it was a .21...
__________________
- Without idiots, there would be no baseline for common sense.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 19:34   #8
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,860
Go 10mm!
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 20:19   #9
dkf
Senior Member
 
dkf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,315
You can kill a deer with a .22lr or an elk with a .223. It does not mean either are ideal for the job. What these videos of the magical 10mm, .45 and etc do is make people who do not know any better think the 10mm or any service caliber is ideal for hunting medium to large game. They are not.

Last edited by dkf; 10-13-2012 at 20:21..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 21:01   #10
Tiro Fijo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
You can kill a deer with a .22lr or an elk with a .223. It does not mean either are ideal for the job. What these videos of the magical 10mm, .45 and etc do is make people who do not know any better think the 10mm or any service caliber is ideal for hunting medium to large game. They are not.

Well stated.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 21:16   #11
K.Kiser
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Shreveport, La.
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Well stated.
Yep...
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 21:48   #12
rednoved
NRA Member
 
rednoved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,851
Cool.
rednoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:11   #13
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender
 
uz2bUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: J-Ville NC
Posts: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
You can kill a deer with a .22lr or an elk with a .223. It does not mean either are ideal for the job. What these videos of the magical 10mm, .45 and etc do is make people who do not know any better think the 10mm or any service caliber is ideal for hunting medium to large game. They are not.
Well, if you think that the 10mm is not ideal for medium game then most likely your views on caliber to game relationship is skewed. Large game is debatable.

Also, as far as the people that don't know any better and get the wrong message from any video, that's thier problem. It's not my job to shelter anybody from anything. If someone is influenced by one youtube vid and makes a bad decisicion they are probably an idiot and should not have bought themselves a gun in the first place.
__________________
- Without idiots, there would be no baseline for common sense.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:35   #14
dkf
Senior Member
 
dkf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,315
Quote:
Well, if you think that the 10mm is not ideal for medium game then most likely your views on caliber to game relationship is skewed. Large game is debatable.
I'm just not a dillusional 10mm fanboy that thinks the 10mm is optimal for anything and everything.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:47   #15
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender
 
uz2bUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: J-Ville NC
Posts: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I'm just not a dillusional 10mm fanboy that thinks the 10mm is optimal for anything and everything.
The video didn't say that the 10mm was optimal for everything and anything either. Nor did anyone in this thread. The truth is that the 10mm will handle medium game in a pinch. It's far cry from a "let's see if I can kill it with a .22lr" situation.
__________________
- Without idiots, there would be no baseline for common sense.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:54   #16
dkf
Senior Member
 
dkf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC View Post
The video didn't say that the 10mm was optimal for everything and anything either. Nor did anyone in this thread. The truth is that the 10mm will handle medium game in a pinch. It's far cry from a "let's see if I can kill it with a .22lr" situation.
And a .223 or .22lr can "handle" medium game "in a pinch" if you hit it right that does not mean it is ideal, optimal or humane. You yourself think 10mm out of a Glock is "ideal" for taking medium game. It is not. The 10mm fanboys just don't get it, I do not even know why I bother.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:08   #17
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender
 
uz2bUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: J-Ville NC
Posts: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
And a .223 or .22lr can "handle" medium game "in a pinch" if you hit it right that does not mean it is ideal, optimal or humane. You yourself think 10mm out of a Glock is "ideal" for taking medium game. It is not. The 10mm fanboys just don't get it, I do not even know why I bother.
So I guess it takes a .30-06 to take a white tail?

I know that the 10mm is more than fine for medium game. This is based on all the people who have been reliably and humanly taking medium game with the 10mm for many years. From white tails, hogs and complete pass throughs on 500lb blackbears the 10mm has it in spades. What more do you need? Choose the right bullet, place your shot right and know your limits to place the shot well that's all you need. There is no part of the animals that I listed that the 10mm has to even work hard to take reliably.

You should know that bullet construction is one of the biggest considerations and the .223 or .22lr (well the .22lr is all wrong) are certainly limited in that regard, not the 10mm.
__________________
- Without idiots, there would be no baseline for common sense.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic

Last edited by uz2bUSMC; 10-14-2012 at 09:12..
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:32   #18
9mm +p+
Senior Member
 
9mm +p+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KS
Posts: 2,419
Elephant have been taken with 22LR as well, just because something can be done, doesn't mean that it should be done.
__________________
Si vis pacem parabellum

Last edited by 9mm +p+; 10-14-2012 at 11:32..
9mm +p+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:09   #19
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ View Post
Elephant have been taken with 22LR as well, just because something can be done, doesn't mean that it should be done.
I wouldn't go fter an elephant with a .22LR, but I would hunt deer with a Glock G20 10mm.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:18   #20
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender
 
uz2bUSMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: J-Ville NC
Posts: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I wouldn't go fter an elephant with a .22LR, but I would hunt deer with a Glock G20 10mm.
My point exactly. People act like a deer is some kinda armored creature. I would be willing to bet no one can feasibly illustrate why a 10mm shouldn't be used on medium game.
__________________
- Without idiots, there would be no baseline for common sense.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic

Last edited by uz2bUSMC; 10-14-2012 at 12:18..
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:21   #21
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by uz2bUSMC View Post
My point exactly. People act like a deer is some kinda armored creature. I would be willing to bet no one can feasibly illustrate why a 10mm shouldn't be used on medium game.
True. I have never heard of any deer wearing body armor.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:51   #22
alwaysshootin
Senior Member
 
alwaysshootin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
And a .223 or .22lr can "handle" medium game "in a pinch" if you hit it right that does not mean it is ideal, optimal or humane. You yourself think 10mm out of a Glock is "ideal" for taking medium game. It is not. The 10mm fanboys just don't get it, I do not even know why I bother.
Was wondering that myself!


If you watch that clip, of Keith Warren, taking that elk, is in fact, using a G21, and in .45ACP, one would have to conclude, the 10MM would be a terrible choice! That elk was dead before the body hit the ground! Not saying that a 45, or 10, are the ideal caliber, for hunting elk, but, if a 44 mag is, could the elk have fallen dead any quicker?
__________________
If guns kill people, then, I can blame my pencil on my spelling!
alwaysshootin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:57   #23
avenues165
Senior Member
 
avenues165's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 428
These guys know what they are doing, more hunters should know what they are doing.

Part of the reason I quit hunting is because of fools that don't bother to figure out what they need to do. I used to duck hunt and the dikes would be littered with dead and dying birds that folks would make no attempt to bag. I watched a group of hunters that would drop birds and then watch them swim away to die slowly. Every time they shot something they would yell at it like they were in a war.

If you hunt make sure you know what you are doing. A 10mm seems capable, but if you are a beginning hunter a Glock 10mm might not be the best choice.
avenues165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 13:41   #24
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by avenues165 View Post
These guys know what they are doing, more hunters should know what they are doing.

Part of the reason I quit hunting is because of fools that don't bother to figure out what they need to do. I used to duck hunt and the dikes would be littered with dead and dying birds that folks would make no attempt to bag. I watched a group of hunters that would drop birds and then watch them swim away to die slowly. Every time they shot something they would yell at it like they were in a war.

If you hunt make sure you know what you are doing. A 10mm seems capable, but if you are a beginning hunter a Glock 10mm might not be the best choice.
If you are a beginning hunter - any handgun would be a substandard choice.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 14:03   #25
dkf
Senior Member
 
dkf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
Was wondering that myself!


If you watch that clip, of Keith Warren, taking that elk, is in fact, using a G21, and in .45ACP, one would have to conclude, the 10MM would be a terrible choice! That elk was dead before the body hit the ground! Not saying that a 45, or 10, are the ideal caliber, for hunting elk, but, if a 44 mag is, could the elk have fallen dead any quicker?
Both are highly edited videos. The first video shows him shooting twice with the first shot doing nothing. Yeah real friggin effective. How many shots did they edit out between the first and last shot? I prefer not to have to shoot an animal twice if at all possible and have a quick humane kill.

This thread is a prime example of why many states have laws with minimum caliber requirements for certain game. It is obvious there are many people out there that cannot be responsible enough to pick the right tool for the job.

Quote:
If you are a beginning hunter - any handgun would be a substandard choice.
Why. You can be a life long (medal winning) handgun shooter and be a beginner hunter. Not everyone starts hunting early in life. The right handgun and that experienced shooter should have no problem humanely taking an animal.

Last edited by dkf; 10-14-2012 at 14:10..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:01.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,017
293 Members
724 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42