SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-10-2012, 21:14   #1
AKRover
10MM Fanatic

Mushroomed Firing Pin

Took my handguns out to the range today for some fun. The Sig and the Glock ran without a single problem like always. The Delta Elite on the other hand had a pretty major problem. First pull of the trigger I got click instead of bang. First instinct was rack the slide because I forgot to chamber a round but a live round ejected when I did. Tried the second round with same result. Stripped the pistol apart to see what was going on and noticed the firing pin wasn't returning all the way back to where the hammer could strike it.

Came home and after researching how to disassemble the slide I discovered that the head of firing pin is mushroomed to the point it wouldn't move in the firing pin stop. Is this a common problem? Would dry firing have caused this?

I filed the head of the firing pin down to where it moves like it should and I will be ordering a replacement firing pin. I am just curious if this is something that I could have avoided.

Thanks
Glock 20, Colt Delta Elite, Sig 1911 Extreme, Norinco SKS-D, AK47, Marlin 795 .22LR, CZ 452 LH .22LR, Colt M4 .22LR, S&W M&P-15 Sport, Remington 700 SPS LH 300 Win Mag, Winchester 1300 Defender 12ga, Winchester 1300 Black Shadow 20ga
AKRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:22   #2
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

That's a new one to me,.......poor heat treating.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 15:15   #3
Ruggles

First time I have heard of that as well. Pretty uncommon IMO. Easy enough fix

Dry firing has no negative effect on a 1911 from my experience. I can not imagine it ever having that effect. I agree a bad firing pin is the most likely cause.

Last edited by Ruggles; 10-11-2012 at 15:17..
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:23   #4
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

I'm going to say that the gun has been dry fired extensively and there are some parts missing from the firing pin block. These small parts are required to depress the plunger on the bottom of the slide and allow the firing pin to move forward in the firing pin channel.

When the plunger isn't depressed the firing pin is captured and can't move forward. When you dry fire it in this condition it like hitting a piece of steel between a hammer and anvil.

Your gun should have two small parts in the frame that rotate on the hammer pin and sear pin. They work off the trigger shoe presssure to depress the plunger (firing pin block) on the bottom of the slide.

Field strip the gun and while holding the frame pull the trigger (ease the hammer down). With the trigger depressed you should see a small lever lift up and to the right of the disconnector on the rear of the frame. If no little lever pops up that's your problem.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:34   #5
ca survivor

my guess is that FP skip the heat treating.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:21   #6
AKRover
10MM Fanatic

Thanks for all the input. All parts are present in the gun and everything seems to be working as it should since filing down the firing pin. Going to the range today to verify that it really is working properly.

When ordering a replacement firing pin, should I get it from Colt or are there better sources? It's not difficult to replace the firing pin but I'd prefer not to have to spend the money every couple thousand rounds.
Glock 20, Colt Delta Elite, Sig 1911 Extreme, Norinco SKS-D, AK47, Marlin 795 .22LR, CZ 452 LH .22LR, Colt M4 .22LR, S&W M&P-15 Sport, Remington 700 SPS LH 300 Win Mag, Winchester 1300 Defender 12ga, Winchester 1300 Black Shadow 20ga
Old 10-13-2012, 09:59   #7
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRover View Post
Thanks for all the input. All parts are present in the gun and everything seems to be working as it should since filing down the firing pin. Going to the range today to verify that it really is working properly.

When ordering a replacement firing pin, should I get it from Colt or are there better sources? It's not difficult to replace the firing pin but I'd prefer not to have to spend the money every couple thousand rounds.
Colt would be fine. But one from Wilson in their "Bullet Proof" line would my choice:

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Firing-P...info/416%2C45/
Old 10-13-2012, 10:28   #8
AKRover
10MM Fanatic

Does 10mm use the same firing pin as 45ACP? Want to make sure I order the right part. Going to assume that Wilson Combat make a firing pin for 10mm since they build 10mm pistols.

I really like Wilson Combat parts. Just added the drop in beavertail and bullet proof ambi safety. Huge additions to my Delta Elite.
Old 10-13-2012, 13:41   #9
ca survivor

Quote:

call Colt and explain the problem, if you have pictures e-mail them, maybe they send you a new one free, or at least they are made aware of the problem
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 16:53   #10
Ruggles

Quote:
Does 10mm use the same firing pin as 45ACP? Want to make sure I order the right part. Going to assume that Wilson Combat make a firing pin for 10mm since they build 10mm pistols.

I really like Wilson Combat parts. Just added the drop in beavertail and bullet proof ambi safety. Huge additions to my Delta Elite.
Good question, not sure
Old 10-13-2012, 17:42   #11
txtard

The 10 uses a smaller pin than the 45.
txtard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:01   #12
AKRover
10MM Fanatic

Thanks again for the input and help. Took the Delta to the range today and it ran like a champ. Still going to get a replacement firing pin but at least I know the pistol will fire if I need it.

On a side note, the new Wilson Combat beavertail makes that 10mm a lot more enjoyable to shoot. The factory grip safety dug into my hand