Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-12-2012, 19:40   #1
igolfat8

Confused... Which federal primer?

What is the difference between the various Federal primers? Magnum, Magnum Match and Pistol Match? I just reload .40 for target practice and plinking. Which ones do I need? TIA
igolfat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 20:08   #2
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
What is the difference between the various Federal primers? Magnum, Magnum Match and Pistol Match? I just reload .40 for target practice and plinking. Which ones do I need? TIA
All you need is a small pistol primer like the Federal 100.
In theory, match primers have a little better quality control and I use the large rifle match for my .308 and 6.5x284 Norma.

You shouldn't use Magnum primers unless you are loading a magnum cartridge. Like .44 Magnum, that kind of thing.

Richard
Old 10-12-2012, 22:02   #3
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
All you need is a small pistol primer like the Federal 100.
In theory, match primers have a little better quality control and I use the large rifle match for my .308 and 6.5x284 Norma.

You shouldn't use Magnum primers unless you are loading a magnum cartridge. Like .44 Magnum, that kind of thing.

Richard
Not even then. You use a magnum primer to ignite particularly diff powders like H110. The only time I use a mag primer in pistol loads is for such powders. In rifles, not until I am hitting charges of 60gr+ of slower powder. You can use a mag primer though, it's just not required & you will NOT just want to plug them into your fav load, unless that is midrange or less. They can increase pressures at the top end with some powders.
Match primers are supposedly put together w/ better QC, so more uniform. Maybe, maybe not. With handgun, just won't matter. With rifles, it may or may not, only shooting them will tell. When I put together precision loads for rifle, the last thing I will do when tweeking a load is try diff primers. Sometimes it matters a lot & sometimes not at all.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 10-12-2012 at 22:06..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:00   #4
igolfat8

Thanks for the explanation guys.
igolfat8 is offline   Reply With Quote