Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:12   #1
Andrew Wiggin

tnoutdoors9 10mm gel tests

I'm sure his tests have been discussed here but I didn't see a thread dedicated to them. I had a couple thoughts and wanted to hear yours. The first is that I'm pleasantly surprised regarding penetration. He tested Underwood 180 gr Gold Dot through gel and water. In gel it did 17" but in water it stopped in the third jug (<18" of water *should* be less than 11.25" in gel or tissue). I tested my own hand loaded 155 gr and 165 gr Gold Dots in water and got nearly the same result. Until tnoutdoors9's test, I was concerned that I wouldn't be getting enough penetration and now it looks like it might be.

He also tested Hornady factory 180 gr XTP. First, it doesn't seem to have any problem with denim as has been rumored. Second, it hit nearly the same depth as the Gold Dot. I wonder if more velocity would result in less penetration.

I'm really interested to hear what you all have to say regarding penetration and bullet performance at these velocities.

tnoutdoors9's tests:

175 gr Silvertip:

180 gr XTP:

Underwood 180 gr Gold Dot:

"Secret" water test of Underwood 180 gr Gold Dot:

My own much less scientific tests:
165 gr Gold Dot hand load:

155 gr Gold Dot hand load:

Buffalo Bore 180 gr Montana Gold

Old 09-28-2012, 16:50   #2
arushus
Biggest Member

It seems to me that a round should penetrate farther in gel than it does in jugs filled with water...
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 21:46   #3
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Thanks for posting these here Andrew. A couple of them were new to me.

There was one pleasant surprise: The factory Hornady left a bit more perm cavity than I would have expected. That is just a dang good all around bullet.

The 180 GDHP did as expected. It really met its match when it found its way into the Underwood Ammo loading room! Kersplat!
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 22:06   #4
wlkjr

Are we picking out one that we think it will be OK to be shot with, that won't hurt us?
wlkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 00:36   #5
Andrew Wiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
It seems to me that a round should penetrate farther in gel than it does in jugs filled with water...

Gelatin is denser than water and offers more resistance to the bullet. Normally bullets go almost twice as far through water. I suspect that the high velocity combined with relatively heavy weight of the 10mm causes the bullet to expand much more quickly, therefore slowing much more quickly. I'm no geographist, though, so my opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Last edited by Andrew Wiggin; 09-29-2012 at 00:36..
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 14:46   #6
Andrew Wiggin

Two more tests by him. Both are 135 gr Nosler loads by Underwood.

Old 10-08-2012, 19:57   #7
agent clark

Just a hunch of mine, but i bet the water results would be quite different in a single large container of water, or maybe shot straight down and viewed/measured from the side with one of those super slow cameras. Not so much because of the plastic you have to pierce, but because the water is contained in the smaller jugs and can't disperse as freely until the container explodes or the bullet simply passes through to the next one. On the same token, a larger block of gel probably reacts a little differently than a smaller one.
agent clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19   #8
dixietoo

strictly as a comment on video quality, which is good for the most part.
If you want to continue with the clear gel then go to a higher shutter speed on your camera. You will still be limited to 30 frames per second, but will get a cleaner picture-less blur from motion- in your frame by frame playback. If you like your high shutter speed video you can go higher/faster with more light. You don't need anything fancy, just some bright light on your gel block.
If you are interested in a new camera, recent models that are pricey but still under $10k will let you shoot/film at 60 frames per second.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:52   #9
TWS G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixietoo View Post
strictly as a comment on video quality, which is good for the most part.
If you want to continue with the clear gel then go to a higher shutter speed on your camera. You will still be limited to 30 frames per second, but will get a cleaner picture-less blur from motion- in your frame by frame playback. If you like your high shutter speed video you can go higher/faster with more light. You don't need anything fancy, just some bright light on your gel block.
If you are interested in a new camera, recent models that are pricey but still under $10k will let you shoot/film at 60 frames per second.
I can definitely improve the shutter speed, by quite a bit, but as you mentioned, lighting will have to increase. The camcorder is already shooting at 60fps. I am also experimenting with the Twixtor plugin for slow motion. It's going to take some experimenting, primary with water jugs to confirm if my settings are in the ballpark; then I'll tag a block.
Old 10-11-2012, 14:22   #10
dixietoo

You have a nice camera then! If you shoot on a sunny day, you can use white pieces of cardboard as reflectors for the sun. 3X3 foot square pieces, at least, as the squares need to be large to work well. You can add quite a lot of light with 2 reflectors like this. The drawback is that the sun has to out and you will have to get everything ready to shoot, Glock included, :P, and then aim your reflectors and fire soon since the sun moves. 2000 FPS would be a good speed if your shutter will go that high. Have Fun!
Old 10-11-2012, 18:09   #11
LexDiamonds
Reloading Fiend

Thank you for posting these vids! I am quite the 10mm zealot and enjoyed watching these.
LexDiamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 18:20   #12
Andrew Wiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWS G26 View Post
I can definitely improve the shutter speed, by quite a bit, but as you mentioned, lighting will have to increase. The camcorder is already shooting at 60fps. I am also experimenting with the Twixtor plugin for slow motion. It's going to take some experimenting, primary with water jugs to confirm if my settings are in the ballpark; then I'll tag a block.
Hey, there he is! Thanks for the good work. Not a lot of data available on the 10mm.
Old 10-12-2012, 19:37   #13
bac1023

Great videos for sure

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:38   #14
skier92857

really appreciate the videos bud, I was one of those patiently waiting for a 135g nosler review.

thanks!
skier92857 is offline   Reply With Quote