GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 18:13   #26
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze
 
Clutch Cargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanderson View Post
I have only been carrying for a couple of months now, in my laptop bag to work. I know a lot of people disagree with that method of carry, but now that it's getting colder I'll think about using a paddle holster under my jacket.

There is no law in Ohio prohibiting me from carrying in a bank. My bank has no posted signs banning guns. The branch I go to was robbed last week.

So, would you (do you) carry when visiting your bank?

On the one hand I think it's clearly a place where a BG with gun may show up. On the other hand, I wouldn't want anyone to see me carrying and panic, leading to who knows what.
I carry into my bank everytime I go in. This is especially true if conducting cash transactions. I use my CHL as my second ID to my drivers license.
At one time, I had an account at a financial institution that posted a proper "no handguns" sign. As I was preparing to go on vacation and was making a cash withdrawl of $4000, I was not about to go into the place unarmed. They had NO armed guard to escort me to my truck, either. I was left with only one option. Texas law allows the carry of long guns with license not required. The financial place didn't allow handguns, but said NOTHING about long guns. I walked in with my AR slung over my shoulder. Man, did I ever attract attention!
__________________
GTDS
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
Clutch Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 18:55   #27
sappy13
Senior Member
 
sappy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bremen, GA
Posts: 2,732
If i had a local bank I would. Perfectly legal.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 21:52   #28
wardboy5
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Zoo, MI.
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior View Post
Just go about your business at the bank with your shooter concealed from casual observation - you'll be fine.
Yes. You'll be fine.
wardboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 13:09   #29
poodleplumber
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,022
I have been carrying into banks (in Florida, where as already stated, it is legal) for years. Conceal properly and there should be no problem.

I even went to the bank to have my CCL renewal notarized the last time around. The guy who helped me said he had been doing a lot of them recently, and seemed quite comfortable with it. He didn't ask if I was carrying at the moment, but I got the impression that he assumed I was, and he would have been correct.
poodleplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 13:42   #30
CanMan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: in flagrante
Posts: 941
Banks are private property and may impose their own rules. The Federal Government may own shares of a bank but they DO NOT function as Federal Property.

I just don't like to carry inside a bank so as mentioned before, I use the Drive By, oops, strike that... I meant the Drive Thru.
CanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:41   #31
gadgetnut259
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 300
That's a big no-no here in PA. No banks, courthouses, schools
or anywhere that's sells/serves alcohol. If it was legal? I don't know. Maybe. Heck of a place to have someone spot it and freak out.
__________________
Walther PPQ - When you shoot one, you'll understand.
gadgetnut259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:52   #32
Jud325
Senior Member
 
Jud325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Shelocta, Pa.
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetnut259 View Post
That's a big no-no here in PA. No banks, courthouses, schools
or anywhere that's sells/serves alcohol. If it was legal? I don't know. Maybe. Heck of a place to have someone spot it and freak out.
Sorry but you can OC/CC in banks, non secured parts of courthouses, any place that sells or serves alcohol in Pa. I OC at my bank twice a week. The Courthouse must have lockers for you to secure your weapons at the metal detectors or security point. You can drink while OC/CC in any establishment that serves.

Last edited by Jud325; 10-12-2012 at 11:57..
Jud325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 16:07   #33
gadgetnut259
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud325 View Post
Sorry but you can OC/CC in banks, non secured parts of courthouses, any place that sells or serves alcohol in Pa. I OC at my bank twice a week. The Courthouse must have lockers for you to secure your weapons at the metal detectors or security point. You can drink while OC/CC in any establishment that serves.
If that's true, they've changed the laws in the 20 years since my first CCW permit in PA. That was the first (and only) time I was ever told what the carry laws were. From then on it was just going through the renewal process. I have looked for a listing of the specific restrictions a few times since then, but never really found anything official. Do you have a link to anything?
__________________
Walther PPQ - When you shoot one, you'll understand.
gadgetnut259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 16:09   #34
Schlitz
Senior Member
 
Schlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanderson View Post

There is no law in Ohio prohibiting me from carrying in a bank. My bank has no posted signs banning guns. The branch I go to was robbed last week.

So, would you (do you) carry when visiting your bank?

Are you seriously asking?
__________________
The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law, is in reality no law, ...
Schlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 17:00   #35
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®
 
Angry Fist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post

Are you seriously asking?
This is an issue with many people, so I'd say yes! Many members here are new to carrying, and have limited resources for decent info.
__________________
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

Last edited by Angry Fist; 10-12-2012 at 17:01..
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 17:22   #36
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out
 
HerrGlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 64,431


Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetnut259 View Post
That's a big no-no here in PA. No banks, courthouses, schools
or anywhere that's sells/serves alcohol. If it was legal? I don't know. Maybe. Heck of a place to have someone spot it and freak out.
The only places I can find, other than the federal no-go places, for PA are:

Schools K-12
Secure portions of a court house
Casinos

PA, WA, AL, CA and DE are some of the absolutely best states with regards to where you can carry as they have the fewest restrictions. They're also of the first generation may/shall issue states before the sky is falling anti gun types got hold of the requirements.
__________________
Sent from my rotary phone
"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a banjo!"- Linus Van Pelt
UNIX - Not just for Vestal Virgins any more
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 18:23   #37
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Gallium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 47,557


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glotin View Post
You can be asked to leave any private property at any time for trespassing, no?
Yes, and no.

If you are at a bank where you are conducting business according to their code of conduct, and there are no stated emergencies you cannot simply be asked to leave, because it's your day to leave.

You are their customer. Say for example you have a safe deposit box there, or are in the process of depositing or withdrawing a large sum of money...you think they can just arbitrarily ask you to leave?
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 19:40   #38
Caver 60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetnut259 View Post
If that's true, they've changed the laws in the 20 years since my first CCW permit in PA. That was the first (and only) time I was ever told what the carry laws were. From then on it was just going through the renewal process. I have looked for a listing of the specific restrictions a few times since then, but never really found anything official. Do you have a link to anything?
Don't know a thing about PA.

But in my state, I follow the laws closely. I call up the state website online at least once a year and look at all the applicable laws for changes. I also use handgun law US as a backup. I don't trust anything but the state website, and a direct reading of the applicable state laws

Same for the other states I travel in.

Last edited by Caver 60; 10-12-2012 at 21:57.. Reason: typo
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 20:01   #39
Jud325
Senior Member
 
Jud325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Shelocta, Pa.
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetnut259 View Post
If that's true, they've changed the laws in the 20 years since my first CCW permit in PA. That was the first (and only) time I was ever told what the carry laws were. From then on it was just going through the renewal process. I have looked for a listing of the specific restrictions a few times since then, but never really found anything official. Do you have a link to anything?
Not to be smart, but you carry a Pa. LTCF. Pick up a copy of the Pa. Uniform firearm act at your local state Rep. or Senators office. If you would like to ask questions Pa. specific, see here.

pa2a.org or pafoa.org

Last edited by Jud325; 10-12-2012 at 20:03..
Jud325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 21:20   #40
gadgetnut259
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud325 View Post
Not to be smart, but you carry a Pa. LTCF. Pick up a copy of the Pa. Uniform firearm act at your local state Rep. or Senators office. If you would like to ask questions Pa. specific, see here.

pa2a.org or pafoa.org
Yeah, I am familiar with both of the sites you've listed. Unless I missed something, neither one specifically spells out where you can't carry concealed in PA with a LTCF. I would love to see an official PA listing of the restrictions. Twenty years ago when I got my first license to carry, the sheriff of my county at that time gave me the following restrictions:

No schools
No banks, credit unions or other financial institutions
No courthouses
Nowhere that sells or serves alcohol

If any of those have changed, I would love to see it in writing.
__________________
Walther PPQ - When you shoot one, you'll understand.
gadgetnut259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 21:46   #41
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetnut259 View Post
Yeah, I am familiar with both of the sites you've listed. Unless I missed something, neither one specifically spells out where you can't carry concealed in PA with a LTCF. I would love to see an official PA listing of the restrictions. Twenty years ago when I got my first license to carry, the sheriff of my county at that time gave me the following restrictions:

No schools
No banks, credit unions or other financial institutions
No courthouses
Nowhere that sells or serves alcohol

If any of those have changed, I would love to see it in writing.
From what I can tell, it's illegal to carry in a court building and a school, it didn't say anything about not being allowed to carry in a bank. However, I just browsed it, and used the search function, so it's possible I missed something. I didn't check out any sections about alcohol, so I can't comment on that.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI.../PDF/18/18.PDF
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 21:47   #42
jack76590
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,146
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf
jack76590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 22:05   #43
UtahIrishman
BLR
 
UtahIrishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Utah
Posts: 6,056


The rare times I go into our bank I carry.

Their only request is to take off sunglasses and lower the hoody before coming inside. Considering events of late I think that's reasonable.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 22:06   #44
Indianashooter
Senior Member
 
Indianashooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 250
Perfectly legal here in Indiana. I even OC on occasion.
Indianashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 00:43   #45
MR57
Member
 
MR57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanderson View Post
I have only been carrying for a couple of months now, in my laptop bag to work. I know a lot of people disagree with that method of carry, but now that it's getting colder I'll think about using a paddle holster under my jacket.

There is no law in Ohio prohibiting me from carrying in a bank. My bank has no posted signs banning guns. The branch I go to was robbed last week.

So, would you (do you) carry when visiting your bank?

On the one hand I think it's clearly a place where a BG with gun may show up. On the other hand, I wouldn't want anyone to see me carrying and panic, leading to who knows what.
Of course I would carry into my bank. I always do. Perfectly lawful. Why would anyone see you carrying. I have been carrying for 5 yrs now. I go to family partys with 15 people in close proximity and no one ever knows. You need to know how to carry correctly. Nothing tight. Larger shirts for instance.
MR57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:23   #46
Lowjiber
Senior Member
 
Lowjiber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 941
Some of the most horrid crimes in America have been committed by banks. That's plenty of reason for me to be armed in a bank.

At the rate our bankers are going, it won't be long before they'll simply have armed thugs inside the door to steal your money. After all, why go through the motions of having you make a deposit before they steal it?

(Stepping down from soapbox now.)
__________________
G'day and G'lock.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:34   #47
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,715
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianashooter View Post
Perfectly legal here in Indiana. I even OC on occasion.
Same-Same here in Virginia.
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:57   #48
Thumpernator
Senior Member
 
Thumpernator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zombieland, Ga
Posts: 396
My credit union has a No Weapons sign but I ignore it. Signs carry no weight here in GA. They also have a No Sunglasses No Hoodies sign. I wear glasses (Transition lenses) and they turn dark in sunlight and lighten back up when out of the sun, but they take a little time to do so. Went into the CU last week and as I walked by the front counter to get to the tellers she says, "Hey, no sunglasses allowed in the CU." I said they were Transition glasses and just kept on walking. She didn't notice my concealed M&P Shield.
Thumpernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:13   #49
The Wolverine
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 63
Hell yes I do.

I do not know the stats, but I would guess in a bank, would be way up on a list of places you would most likely need/use a CW.
The Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 21:19   #50
JuneyBooney
Senior Member
 
JuneyBooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 15,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior View Post
Just go about your business at the bank with your shooter concealed from casual observation - you'll be fine.
I agree.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,126
337 Members
789 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42